Carrara 8.5 & Genesis 3 - Victoria 7?

CoolBreezeCoolBreeze Posts: 207
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Genesis 3 -= Link =-

Victoria 7 -= Link =-

Can Carrara even use Gen3 ???

We've barely made some final needed strides for better / improved Genesis 2 functionality... Are us Carrara users finally left in the dust and despair or are we going to be pleasantly surprised?

I know for certain that unless there's backward compatability with Genesis2 for clothing, or getting clothing auto-converted over... I dunno... I'm just starting to become happy with using Genesis1 & 2 in Carrara (and using Studio as a toolbox for converting Generation 4 clothing over as needed)...

Comments

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139
    edited December 1969

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but not only does Victoria 7 and Genesis 3 Female NOT work in Carrara, it crashes it if you try to load it. So if you are eying up all the new G3F / V7 stuff for use in Carrara, you can forget it, at least for now (or use it in DAZ Studio).

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited December 1969

Perhaps we should all file a ticket . . .

edited June 2015

Tim_A said:

Well I have already submitted one, but feel free to do the same, the more aggro DAZ gets over this, the more likely they are to do something about it, after seeing the numbers of people who will not be buying G3F/V7 products without Carrara compatibility.
    Post edited by PhilW on
  • CoolBreezeCoolBreeze Posts: 207
    edited June 2015

PhilW said:
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but not only does Victoria 7 and Genesis 3 Female NOT work in Carrara, it crashes it if you try to load it. So if you are eying up all the new G3F / V7 stuff for use in Carrara, you can forget it, at least for now (or use it in DAZ Studio).

Thanks for being brave and trying it out for us! Guess I'm going to empty that shopping cart now, you saved me a headache having to contact Daz for a refund.

I don't use Studio for rendering, only for its various Genesis 1 & 2 tools.

That would be a good idea I think however I'd like to see some of the Carrara support & programing team chime in first, to see whether they have anything coming down the pipe for us by means of an update or even new release of Carrara aka 8.x or 9.0 ...

I had such high hopes for Carrara and Genesis since the inception of Genesis 1, with the backwards compatability of using Generation 4 content, and finally we got it in Carrara, even with in my limited use Genesis 2 working pretty decently now without the frustration crashes of loading numerous clothing pieces. (Always had to cloth and pose in studio and import scene subset into Carrara).

Theres still some further refinements I'd like to see like clothing auto-fit controls and adjustments like Studio has. And Genesis 2 matured enough theres a host of addons and utils for it to fix clothing, female clothing, etc...

There's also the aspect of the new UDIM UV set. Unless Carrara already has support for UDIM UV's , that too might be a factor in crashing upon loading Genesis3.

***I would be inclined to be an early adopter of Genesis 3 / Victoria 7 / Michael 7 if Daz would be inclined to continue developing Carrara... Yeah, I was one of the crowd, soon as Genesis rolled out, I was buying into it before Carrara had initial support for it and just let the content sit on the hd, only toying with it in studio once in a while...***

Post edited by CoolBreeze on
  • SockrateaseSockratease Posts: 813
    edited June 2015

PhilW said:
    Tim_A said:

Well I have already submitted one, but feel free to do the same, the more aggro DAZ gets over this, the more likely they are to do something about it, after seeing the numbers of people who will not be buying G3F/V7 products without Carrara compatibility.

That wont have much effect. Two entirely different groups of people would have to communicate (support and marketing).

If you really want to get their attention, buy the stuff and return it stating lack of Cowrarra compatibility as the reason!

That will get noticed more than just not buying it since they don't keep statistics on who doesn't buy and why, but they should be keeping stats on reasons items get returned.

I'm not buying it because it's not The Millennium Cow, but they don't seem to notice that...

Post edited by Sockratease on
  • CoolBreezeCoolBreeze Posts: 207
    edited December 1969

PhilW said:
    Tim_A said:

That might be a good idea actually...

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,711
    edited December 1969

I do not have latest build so thought it was that, am sad to hear this
    she works well in IClone though and being facially boned I can export her FBX with facial animation to Carrara so there is that at least
    well when I get to trying it

• ringo monfortringo monfort Posts: 945
    edited December 1969

Genesis 3 or Victoria 7 will not work in Carrara 8.5 Pro. Everyone please submit a bug report requesting support for it.
    DAZ 3D is under the impression that Carrara users do not buy content.

edited December 1969

Genesis 3 or Victoria 7 will not work in Carrara 8.5 Pro. Everyone please submit a bug report requesting support for it.

don't they have sales figures?
  • argus1000argus1000 Posts: 701
    edited December 1969

she works well in IClone though and being facially boned I can export her FBX with facial animation to Carrara so there is that at least
    well when I get to trying it

Have you been successful exporting Genesis 3 facial animation from iClone to Carrara as an FBX? I've tried many times with the first Genesis, without success. All Carrara imports is body animation, not facial.
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,757
    edited December 1969

With new technological advancements, Genesis 3 is even more compatible with other industry standard 3D applications to increase ease of cross platform use

All except their own..

I didn't bother renewing my PC subs here at Daz.. And I just purchase content now from the other stores like Hivewire, Renderosity and other smaller content creators.

edited December 1969

well she has bones like iclone figures, the blendshapes did not work, am still trying, I am unsure if I have succeeded yet as she does not appear to be talking but I may have mucked up the motion plus save.

edited December 1969

I just tried exporting FBX from DS to Carrara, it does not work, at least with the settings that I have tried.

I also tried exporting as Collada and that imports OK into Carrara. Bones are intact and functional, including the mass of facial bones (to the extent that they cover the face and it can be difficult to see what is going on). Any morphs that are set when exporting are reflected in the look of the figure, but the morphs themselves are not imported. So you can adjust arms and legs, but not body shapes, expressions etc. You also need to set the subdivision level manually.

edited December 1969

Exported Victoria 7 as OBJ and created some Carrara Shaders for her for when and if DAZ3D ever introduces support for Genesis 3 in Carrara.

Victoria_7_TEST.jpg
    1400 x 1671 - 925K
    Victoria_7_TEST_3.jpg
    1400 x 1671 - 887K
    edited December 1969

Of course. And they can make them show anything they want.

#LiesDamnedLiesAndStatistics

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited June 2015

Tim_A said:

ex-statistician here Poster on our office wall read "We use statistics as a drunken man uses a lamp post :- for support rather than illumination"

The problem is sales figures only show sales figures, they don't know which of the customers is using the products in Carrara, and they don't know which are using it in Bryce. They see the sales of Bryce only or Carrara only content, and think that the two programs don't generate the volume of sales they like. What we need to do is somehow get them to understand that the (for example) 61 pages of purchased products in my product library are used in Bryce, or in your case Carrara.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • argus1000argus1000 Posts: 701
    edited June 2015

INT. DAZ OFFICE, UTAH--

DAZ SPOOKY
    (reading Victoria 7 thread)
    Now, there conspiring against us! They want to bully us with tickets to
    make possible using Victoria 7 in Carrara, as of today.

CO-WORKER
    I know. After all we did for them. We completely over-hauled
    the code for Carrara 8.5, and that's the thanks we get...

DAZ SPOOKY
    (wiping teardrop)
    Ingrates! We did it because we love them. As if we're making
    any money with that thankless bunch. It's breaking my heart...

Post edited by argus1000 on
    edited December 1969

Tim_A said:

Well it is not like we have a huge user base. Many of the old timers are not even around any more. I think one way that DAZ 3D can see how many active Carrara owners have purchase say Victoria 6 or any of the other Genesis 2 figures and I would say not that many. If we go just by the number of Genesis 2 Carrara shaders I sell even the most popular figure such as Victoria 6 gives me very low sale numbers. I can tell you that in some figures the first 2 weeks of release have only given me a sale of 15 items.

edited December 1969

Tim_A said:

Well it is not like we have a huge user base. Many of the old timers are not even around any more. I think one way that DAZ 3D can see how many active Carrara owners have purchase say Victoria 6 or any of the other Genesis 2 figures and I would say not that many. If we go just by the number of Genesis 2 Carrara shaders I sell even the most popular figure such as Victoria 6 gives me very low sale numbers. I can tell you that in some figures the first 2 weeks of release have only given me a sale of 15 items.

That may not be typical - I would estimate the number of active Carrara users who purchase product to be in the low thousands. Maybe as low as 1000, but most probably higher. But I recognise that is probably dwarfed by the numbers of active DS and Poser users.

edited December 1969

PhilW said:
    Tim_A said:

That may not be typical - I would estimate the number of active Carrara users who purchase product to be in the low thousands. Maybe as low as 1000, but most probably higher. But I recognise that is probably dwarfed by the numbers of active DS and Poser users.

Well here is another to think about, Genesis 3 is also not been support in Poser via DSON.

edited December 1969

and no I cannot get iClone facial animation to export on her from 3DX6
    tried every option

• ScarecrowScarecrow Posts: 167
    edited December 1969

Maybe there'd be more Carrara users if Daz actually acknowledged that it exists, and I don't know, maybe advertised it a little. It used to be the professional option on the software page of the website, now where is it? I use Carrara exclusively and I buy content.

edited June 2015

I can get bvh to work on her in DAZ studio from iClone but a few screwy reversed joints, probably a naming issue, if I could get her into Carrara could probably fix it but not much hope of that so far.
    The spring bones on pecs work in DS, is her left arm and leg giving issue maybe the extra untargeted bones.
    my expressionless FBX from Iclone rendered with Octane https://youtu.be/vJ-ERsnGvOE

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    edited December 1969

Smith Micro may surprise us when PP2016 comes out with native support for Gen3...

We will pause a moment for the Porky Pig Aerobatic Squadron to finish its display. Okay, as you were.

@Chohole: & of course a product that comes in DS + PS + CA + BRY flavours will only get counted in one category (i.e. DS) because they only bothered to put one software box on their counting app/survey/etc (and how would they know what apps the purchaser is using anyhow? (I frequently use Stonemason's Poser scenes in Carrara, for instance)

@Ringo, I sympathise with the low sales figures (some months my Amazon reports are basically tumbleweed), but to an extent you're only catering to a subset of the market - i.e. Carrara users who also have that base figure. And since Carrara is not marketed as Gen2 compatible, I imagine it's a small proportion. I know myself, if I bought the figure, I'd certainly buy the shader, but very few of the recent figure releases have interested me.

[Sorry there's a factual error in the above paragraph. Please delete the words "as Gen2 compatible"]

edited December 1969

Here is a render of G3F, exported from DS as Collada, imported into Carrara and a hair model added and then rendered with Octane Render for Carrara. The hair which I am developing can be universal and so can be used with any figure. I also tweaked eye textures but everything else is as imported. Rendered with just an HDRI for lighting.

G3F_with_Hair2.png
    1200 x 900 - 1M
  • ScarecrowScarecrow Posts: 167
    edited June 2015

chohole said:
    Tim_A said:

The problem is sales figures only show sales figures, they don't know which of the customers is using the products in Carrara, and they don't know which are using it in Bryce. They see the sales of Bryce only or Carrara only content, and think that the two programs don't generate the volume of sales they like. What we need to do is somehow get them to understand that the (for example) 61 pages of purchased products in my product library are used in Bryce, or in your case Carrara.

Seems to me if Daz wanted to know this kind of info all they'd have to do is ask. The last 2 surveys I got from Daz did not include Carrara in the possible answers for the question "Which 3d software do you use?" The first of the 2 surveys had an option to write in the software of your choice, so I wrote in Carrara. In the next survey the question was slightly rephrased "Which of the following softwares do you use the most?" And the list was Daz studio, maya, cinema 4d, 3ds max etc... Carrara was not included. I didn't answer because I don't use any of those softwares. Daz studio doesn't do what I need it too, and the rest are out of my price range... It seems to me Daz is trying to put themselves up next to all the pro stuff, Like a free software is going to compare with a $4000 animation package. It seems to me they'd have a better chance of achieving this if they promoted and developed Carrara in conjunction with Daz studio. All the development energy goes into a software that is given away for free, and what do those of us that actually paid money to have Carrara get?

Post edited by Scarecrow on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026
    edited December 1969

PhilW said:
    Here is a render of G3F, exported from DS as Collada, imported into Carrara and a hair model added and then rendered with Octane Render for Carrara. The hair which I am developing can be universal and so can be used with any figure. I also tweaked eye textures but everything else is as imported. Rendered with just an HDRI for lighting.

Thanks for the collada example. Would you mind pulling the camera back and displaying a couple of different poses? Not so much interested in the shader at the moment as I am in the behavior of joints, etc. The following Poser-specific thread in the Commons suggests that the figure dissolves when posed in attempts to transfer to Poser via DSON and CR2 export.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/58065/

Curious if the DS => Collada => Carrara channel fares any better, but the only bends I can see in your screenshot is the shoulder.

edited December 1969

diomede64 said:
    PhilW said:

Thanks for the collada example. Would you mind pulling the camera back and displaying a couple of different poses? Not so much interested in the shader at the moment as I am in the behavior of joints, etc. The following Poser-specific thread in the Commons suggests that the figure dissolves when posed in attempts to transfer to Poser via DSON and CR2 export.

Curious if the DS => Collada => Carrara channel fares any better, but the only bends I can see in your screenshot is the shoulder.
    Seems to bend OK from my few tests, I haven't done any rigorous testing - and at the moment, any images I might produce will fall foul of DAZ's TOS!

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026
    edited December 1969

PhilW said:
    diomede64 said:
    PhilW said:

Seems to bend OK from my few tests, I haven't done any rigorous testing - and at the moment, any images I might produce will fall foul of DAZ's TOS!

Haha - didn't mean to try to entrap you. Thanks for the feedback. On the genesis 3 technology page, Daz does try to promote file export/transfer to other programs through Collada, etc. as a working feature. However, the discussion in the aforementioned Poser thread makes me cautious.

edited December 1969

Here is an image which shows some limb bending but does not display nudity. This is made more difficult as the clothing does not follow the figure, and there are no "Fit To" option boxes either, so the clothes are static while the figure moves. The only solution for now is to set up the whole figure in DS and export to Carrara, but that is not how I like to work, and doesn't allow tweaking of the figure to fit the scene.

Note that G3F has extra bones - each limb section has two bones, one for bending and one lower down for twisting. Abdomen, chest and neck all have two bones rather than one, giving extra flexibility.

G3F-BendsExamples.jpg
    640 x 480 - 19K