Official Release of Carrara 8.5 **Update - 8.5.1.19**

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,711
    edited December 1969

I simulate the hair in the assembly room and every version from C6 on both my computers acts funny after a sim not showing the first frame only last or rendering failed, it is easily fixed by clicking on the different multi viewport options.
    Has always done it.
    In that state cannot even bring up file save etc as viewport obscures everything, does not seem related to graphics card or opengl/software settings as done it on my old 550ti and my GTX 760 & my old laptop.
    Octane will still render it correctly (it just got hair!!!! I am playing)
    so if the latest build does this too I would not be surprised and consider it a bug unlike the other things I have heard in this thread.
    The FBX import one scares me the most as I use that daily and so long as I hear not fixed will be holding off.

• Nod64Nod64 Posts: 35
    edited December 1969

Noel said:
    I installed an update the other day, and everything worked fine. Today, there was another update, I can't do anything.

I did a complete uninstall, but I can no longer create a new scene, or load old ones. And I also get the attached error for Octane.

Did you also re-download in case the file was corrupted?

I tried twice, as well as doing a complete uninstall. It's not playing

• MythmakerMythmaker Posts: 606
    edited May 2015

Ticket just submitted. [SOLVED]
    ----
    Confirmed bug since 8.5.1.19

Default hotkeys of Transform tools and Camera tools, now fail to unstick when toggled.

Example: Previously, to toggle Dolly, hit Dolly hotkey, voila.

Now, Dolly is toggled for a split second, then revert to previous selection/ camera tool.

The only way to get Dolly to stay is to hit hotkey, then quickly left click and hold down, then it might stay. Like holding down Alt.

Frequent use hotkeys, like T, R, E, W, Q etc are now made redundant. For Wacom pro and standard Logitech, Microsoft keyboard/ mouse calibration, these hotkey options are gone. The only mouse I got to work around this, is my new-ish Microsoft comfort mouse with elaborate macro option involving Delay modifiers.

The only way to still have former normal hotkey behavior is to select all these tool's menu icon. It is not end of the world. But it is a definitely the opposite of progress.

Please fix ASAP.

Post edited by Mythmaker on
    edited May 2015

@ EP, my Titan + Xeon (i7 equivalent) is stable, updated and issue-free on the whole, and I haven't had any Carrara openGL glitch so far... Simulation also tend to be faster than what I see on Phil and Jon's tutor videos.

I simulate the hair in the assembly room and every version from C6 on both my computers acts funny after a sim not showing the first frame only last or rendering failed, it is easily fixed by clicking on the different multi viewport options.
    Has always done it.

I actually tried multi viewport clicks, the other viewports did show the hair+base+guides per normal. Just not the main/single viewport.

I suspect, then, it is what I did with the Model room lower right mini viewport. I recall using the 2D zoom to marquee zoom when in Director cam, then, couldn't reset the zoom back to normal. Which implies some director cam / mini viewport limitation/ odd behavior within Model room, which may also introduce viewport render 'hang' or blackout. What's even weirder, I then closed the "faulty" scene/file, started new one from scratch, when entering Model room, the mini viewport was still in the astronomical 987% zoom and didn't reset itself. I set it to Camera 1 as the solution.

In any case I shall ignore the model room mini viewport for now.

I use a fresh scene to practice dynamic hair, careful to keep variables very narrow. So far no repeat of blackout.

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited December 1969

Mythmaker said:
    Ticket just submitted.
    ----

Default hotkeys of Transform tools and Camera tools, now fail to unstick when toggled.

Now, Dolly is toggled for a split second, then revert to previous selection/ camera tool.

The only way to get Dolly to stay is to hit hotkey, then quickly left click and hold down, then it might stay. Like holding down Alt.

Frequent use hotkeys, like T, R, E, W, Q etc are now made redundant. For Wacom pro and standard Logitech, Microsoft keyboard/ mouse calibration, these hotkey options are gone. The only mouse I got to work around this, is my new-ish Microsoft comfort mouse with elaborate macro option involving Delay modifiers.

The only way to still have former normal hotkey behavior is to select all these tool's menu icon. It is not end of the world. But it is a definitely the opposite of progress.

Please fix ASAP.

That's really weird - I just opened up Carrara (8.5.1.19) and tried it and all of mine are still sticky as usual. Did "Toolbar Hot Keys are Sticky" come unchecked in Preferences/General maybe? It works fine with both of my mice and with my Wacom Bamboo (first time I ever tried it - I didn't even know Carrara supported using a tablet).

• SteveG52SteveG52 Posts: 11
    edited December 1969

MDO2010 said:
    Mythmaker said:
    Ticket just submitted.
    ----

Please fix ASAP.

That's really weird - I just opened up Carrara (8.5.1.19) and tried it and all of mine are still sticky as usual. Did "Toolbar Hot Keys are Sticky" come unchecked in Preferences/General maybe? It works fine with both of my mice and with my Wacom Bamboo (first time I ever tried it - I didn't even know Carrara supported using a tablet).

Thanks. I was unaware of the sticky hot keys option in the general preferences. I've been accustomed to using the unsticky option. I just tried changing the preference and it works. I'll give it a try and see how I like it.

I just updated to 8.5.1.19 today and was happy to see smart contents are working again.

edited December 1969

MDO2010 said:
    Mythmaker said:

That's it. My 'Toolbar Hotkeys are sticky' got unchecked after latest installation and a 'reset preference' (to banish a confirmed Browser bug). Thanks!

There's a 'Graphic Tablet Compatibility Mode' right under 'Toolbar Hotkeys are sticky'. I just checked it, don't know what it does but well we're all beta-testers here lol.

My Wacom Intuous Pro works fine with Carrara, at least with an older driver 6.3.3.4..

• Nod64Nod64 Posts: 35
    edited December 1969

There's weird. I installed my earlier version of 8.5 to a different drive and it worked. I updated it to 19, and it still worked. So I moved it back to the C drive, and it still worked. Eight attempts, in all. And I've not been asked for any serial numbers for any of my plugins, apart from Octane. :gulp:

• MiloMilo Posts: 511
    edited December 1969

Mythmaker said:
    MDO2010 said:
    Mythmaker said:

That's it. My 'Toolbar Hotkeys are sticky' got unchecked after latest installation and a 'reset preference' (to banish a confirmed Browser bug). Thanks!

There's a 'Graphic Tablet Compatibility Mode' right under 'Toolbar Hotkeys are sticky'. I just checked it, don't know what it does but well we're all beta-testers here lol.

My Wacom Intuous Pro works fine with Carrara, at least with an older driver 6.3.3.4..

I didn't know you could use a tablet with Carrara... The question is what do use the tablet for? I have a wacom tablet so I am curious.

• DondecDondec Posts: 243
    edited December 1969

Mythmaker said:
    I also want to confirm, my previous issues with previous Release build243, namely NLA error messages and sluggish, do not exist with release 8.5.1.19. NLA now works without error popups, and random freeze issue no more.

Thanks for this!

- Don

edited May 2015

You're welcome Don!

-_Milo_- said:

I didn't know you could use a tablet with Carrara... The question is what do use the tablet for? I have a wacom tablet so I am curious.

I cannot do without per vertex pen precision. By default I work with tablet pen be it ZBrush or Carrara. I only switch to my multi-button mouse when the pen gripping wrist needs a rest. For 3Dpaint, tablet pen is a joy.

That said, Carrara Model room can be more tablet-friendly. Using mouse actually makes more sense for super-left-clickers like ZBrush and Carrara, the rare modeling apps that still use "sticky keys" for camera navigation, and has no 3D mouse support. But in ZBrush I can reduce clicks by 70% with super customizable hotkeys and UI. Carrara, OTOH, is uptight with hotkeys. Vertices group selection is just...seriosuly...lol

So if you don't feel you're missing anything not using a tablet, then well stick to your fav mouse...

Also, I've yet to make the Intuos touch wheel work smoothly with Carrara keyframe cycling. The only touch wheel function I assigned is Dollying when in Modeling mode. So Bamboo users are not missing much!

My dream flexi-CG inputs = 3Dconnexion (or gaming pad) on the left, improved Wacom + high DPI gaming mouse on the right.

Daz Studio is there already, as are Poser2014 Lightwave Blender 3Dcoat Octane and everyone else. Carrara 9? I can dream I guess... :)

• MGCJerryMGCJerry Posts: 28
    edited December 1969

I snagged C8.5 Pro for $85 yesterday. I'm coming from C6 Pro, so I've missed a couple versions...

• wscottartwscottart Posts: 420
    edited May 2015

Why use a wacom tablet in Carrara? How about I don't ever use a stinking mouse for anything! Pen and tablet and that's all I ever use!

Post edited by wscottart on
  • Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,798
    edited December 1969

Once again I am asking WHERE is the changelog for this most recent release of Carrara? Clearly the stuff written on the first page is outdated so where is the changelog for build 19? Anyone? Moderators?

• IamArtistXIamArtistX Posts: 119
    edited June 2015

Once again I am asking WHERE is the changelog for this most recent release of Carrara? Clearly the stuff written on the first page is outdated so where is the changelog for build 19? Anyone? Moderators?

Come on now Rashad, you have been on this forum long enough to know that daz doesn't do Carrara documentation of any kind ;-) :) :vampire:

Post edited by IamArtistX on
  • Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,798
    edited December 1969

Come on now Rashad, you have been on this forum long enough to know that daz doesn't do Carrara documentation of any kind ;-) :) :vampire:

Indeed. Not surprised at all. I guess I was just hoping I was the only person who had failed to find it but that it did indeed exist. Oh well.

• de3ande3an Posts: 915
    edited December 1969

The closest thing to a changelog, that I've seen, was the listing in the first post of the beta thread:
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/48629/

• 0oseven0oseven Posts: 626
    edited June 2015

Recently installed C8.5.1 Pro build 19_ 64 bit.

It seems the navigation icons for track,dolly etc and the grid switch have disappeared since last release.

EDIT

It seems I had them switched of - Right click in the panel containing the icons and options pop up to show / not show.
    Dah !

Post edited by 0oseven on
  • PschelfhPschelfh Posts: 261
    edited December 1969

It's working without crashing for me, but I had a strange thing when rendering.

After hours of testing and rendering without problems (I can't remember Carrara behaving that good in previous verions - could also be because I have 32 Gb of RAM now) , I started my final render. It stopped at 100%, but my last 4 buckets (the multicolored squares) were still visible on screen. Also visible when saving the image.

Just to be sure, I think you're better off saving your scene before doing your final render, closing and restarting Carrara and then start your render...

Peter.

• rampart_1576840087rampart_1576840087 Posts: 504
    edited December 1969

So.---- What is the latest release Carrara 8.5 pro?

I recently downloaded a beta version, but I understand there is now a final.

Where do you get it?

Do I have to ask support again to put it in my products folder?

• magaremotomagaremoto Posts: 1,226
    edited December 1969

the build 243 is 20% faster :ohh:

• rampart_1576840087rampart_1576840087 Posts: 504
    edited December 1969

That is nice to know, now where and how do you aquire it?

I wrote an email to support to get my beta copy back in April.
    When I activate Carrara 8.5 pro the screen says I have build 17.

It would appear I have not received any updates since I first installed the beta.

Do I have to contact support and get them to continue to post beta updates, or is there a link?

• MiloMilo Posts: 511
    edited December 1969

rampart1 said:

That is nice to know, now where and how do you aquire it?

I wrote an email to support to get my beta copy back in April.
    When I activate Carrara 8.5 pro the screen says I have build 17.

It would appear I have not received any updates since I first installed the beta.

Do I have to contact support and get them to continue to post beta updates, or is there a link?

Are you using DIM to install your Carrara? The update replaced the 8.5 regular that was there, and updated in place the existing release.

• 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,017
    edited December 1969

Carrara 8.1.1Pro build 12 vs 8.5.1 Pro build 19 rendering Forest Drive: http://www.daz3d.com/forest-drive
    Default settings first render: 15% faster in 8.5 in about 3 minutes
    Default settings re-render: 20% faster in 8.5 and both are about 30 sec faster than the first round

To be continued.

• magaremotomagaremoto Posts: 1,226
    edited December 1969

the 8.5 buid 243 was released if I recall in august 2013; in a quick comparison with the latest build 19 in all my pcs is about 20/25% faster both for complex and light scenes

• 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,017
    edited December 1969

the 8.5 buid 243 was released if I recall in august 2013; in a quick comparison with the latest build 19 in all my pcs is about 20/25% faster both for complex and light scenes

Well that sucks, cannot manually download an older beta from the Product Library and the DIM only has the latest beta :(

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

3drendero said:

Well that sucks, cannot manually download an older beta from the Product Library and the DIM only has the latest beta :(

you should be able to download older version from - My Account
    don't need Dim .

• kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526
    edited December 1969

Carrara 8.5 current official version can not auto stop postgres.exe still.
    (there was same problem about beta version.)
    or is there user facing file,which can switch postgre status?

to stop it, I everytime manually stop service , or open DS and close DS (it can auto start and stop postgre server, with daz studio)

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

Carrara 8.5 current official version can not auto stop postgres.exe still.
    (there was same problem about beta version.)
    or is there user facing file,which can switch postgre status?

to stop it, I everytime manually stop service , or open DS and close DS (it can auto start and stop postgre server, with daz studio)

With PostGreSQL not running (meaning DAZ Studio, Install Manager and Carrara 8.5.1.19 are not running, and neither is anything else that is using PostgreSQL.), I launch Carrara 8.5 and PostgreSQL gets seven processes in Task Manager. I close Carrara, and after PostgreSQL is finishing closing up the Database it shuts down and I have no threads running. This works the same way with both DS and Install Manager.

The only time, for me PostgreSQL doesn't start with Carrara is if it is already running. (Or if it is in the process of shutting down because I just closed DS or Install Manager.) Note that if this is because it PostgreSQL is shutting down Carrara will not be connected to it.

The only time, for me, that it doesn't shut down when I close Carrara, is if DAZ Studio or Install Manager is also open.

• kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526
    edited June 2015

Hi spookey, as for me, it is not work.
    Now I only install postgre sql. uninstalled valentina already.
    And I install all aprication, and contents of daz by DIM.
    then I up-dated DIM too. if I find up-date.

(I remember, before we need to keep install valentina too
    about Carrara 8.5, then daz up-dated beta version, . I know.
    but it keep this problem from daz introduce postgre for carrara 8.5 beta)

About this version, postgres can run when I start Carrara.

I only open Carrara 8.5, not open daz studio, or DIM.
    then check smart content, (it work ) and from top menu
    "quit". I wait 2 minutes. then go to task manager.

all postgures.exe still use my memory.:blank:

then if I open daz studio, and quit, postgres.exe stop.

=============
    added my carrara version pic.
    and I only run carrara 8.5 , not run DIM and DS.

I am windows 7 64 bit user.

(anyway I alredy send bug report. about this version too)

currentaprication.JPG
    455 x 185 - 24K
    carraraver.JPG
    916 x 761 - 164K
    task.JPG
    924 x 445 - 92K
    Post edited by kitakoredaz on