Official Release of Carrara 8.5 **Update - 8.5.1.19**

Comments

• edited December 1969

Hello everyone,

FBX export isn't working for me now with the latest update (8.5.1.19).
    I'm using carrara pro and I'm on Mac OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

When I try to export an object, it throws out an error saying "fbx.dll failed to load",

and then the next dialogue box says

"A nil pointer error has occured
    File: MakeFBXImporter.cpp
    Line: 65"

FBX import doesn't seem to work, either.
    FBX is an essential part of my workflow.
    I'm hoping that this gets fixed soon.

HI, have you find a solution ? The same things happened now to me both on regular and public Carrara.

• pavel_bf2dd66d99pavel_bf2dd66d99 Posts: 12
    edited December 1969

This thread is now named "Update - 8.5.1.19" but I was unable to find any information about the update...are there release notes of the current version ? I have 8.5 Pro build 243 and I am not sure if it is worth to install the latest version...can't find any relevant information. Isn't the latest release worth at least a separate sticky thread ?
    (to make it clear : I am not looking for any new features, stopped expecting anything new from Carrara a while ago, just would like to get the most stable version available). Thanks.

• 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,017
    edited December 1969

First post has a short list of new features:
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/48629/

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

G3 doesn't work - so save your money .:lol:

• Eric3dddEric3ddd Posts: 67
    edited December 1969

When will Daz start communicating more clearly about its version numbers?
    - in the shop, to indicate which version is latest
    - in "My Account", to indicate which version I'm downloading
    - in DIM, for the same reason

All it takes is one line of text, and save countless discussion threads.

Carrara-version.png
    605 x 378 - 28K
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,816
    edited December 1969

still glad I have not updated

• CoolBreezeCoolBreeze Posts: 207
    edited December 1969

Is Carrara broken again?!?

Trying to work on a couple projects, have the newest 8.5.1.19 public buil... can't seem to load G2M natively and apply clothes to it. Starts crashing aain once i conform the hair and 2 clothing items, crashes at the Projecting Morphs 97% , with a Carrara Crashed / topped Working window ...

Having trouble loading the character as a daz studio scene sub-set as well now... grrr..... Sent in a bug reprt ticket... with screenshot...

• IamArtistXIamArtistX Posts: 119
    edited December 1969

No it's not broken again, it was never fixed in the first place :p

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,223
    edited July 2015

I've skipped back several pages and can't seem to find what I'm looking for.

Getting back into Carrara and Genesis now since upgrading to this latest version, the "Parameters" tab is missing from the main "Genesis 2 (Male and/or Female)" line, and the Parameters tab for "Actor" is empty, no matter which figure I load in from the library. Those that I've already saved as CAR files work fine.

Does anyone remember a fix for this? I thought I saw this issue a while back.

EDIT: Some screenshots of what I mean:

C8519-NoParam_B.jpg
    1680 x 1050 - 1M
    C8519-NoParam_A.jpg
    1680 x 1050 - 1M
    Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • de3ande3an Posts: 915
    edited December 1969

Getting back into Carrara and Genesis now since upgrading to this latest version, the "Parameters" tab is missing from the main "Genesis 2 (Male and/or Female)" line, and the Parameters tab for "Actor" is empty, no matter which figure I load in from the library. Those that I've already saved as CAR files work fine.

I don't seem to be seeing this issue. However, my loaded Genesis 2 Male appears with an additional level in its hierarchy.
    Mine starts with "Genesis 2 Base Male", then I have "Genesis 2 Male".

I see parameters for the "Genesis 2 Male", "Actor", and "Head" levels of the hierarchy.

I'm running the Mac version of Carrara, if that's of any consequence.

Genesis_2_head_parameters.png
    1280 x 1024 - 304K
    Genesis_2_Actor_parameters.png
    1280 x 1024 - 327K
    Genesis_2_Male_parameters.png
    1280 x 1024 - 300K
    edited July 2015

Jeeze man, that's really wierd!

I get the same as de3an , even though I'm on Windows 8.1 Pro, and using the Postgre SQL ... In addition, I load my Genesis 2 figures from the Smart Content tab...
    Having 3 levels of heirarchy + per bone, and the lower 2 being the ones where the Parameters tab shows up can be good, but also frustrating sometimes too... Especialy when your looking for something specific.

By the same token, Nomatter which of the 3 top levels I have selected and drop the clothes onto, I still have to manually select the clothing and "Conform to Genesis 2 Male" , which after conforming 3 items (ie: hair, shirt, pants) , proceeding to manually conform the 4th clothing item Carrara crashes at the 97% of "Projecting Morphs" phase.

Post edited by CoolBreeze on
    edited December 1969

I think that the only reason the one in my screenshot doesn't show the extra line in the hierarchy is because I just double-clicked on the file without having a scene open first. I'm pretty sure that I also have the extra hierarchy line. But the issue is the same, even when I load into an already opened scene. Somebody else was having my issue earlier in this thread, I think...
    I'm sure I'll find a way to correct it. I didn't have this before the latest update. Perhaps I just need to uninstall > re-install? We'll see. I'm not scared just yet! ;)

• kakmankakman Posts: 225
    edited December 1969

I think that the only reason the one in my screenshot doesn't show the extra line in the hierarchy is because I just double-clicked on the file without having a scene open first. I'm pretty sure that I also have the extra hierarchy line.

I believe you are correct, sir.

If I do NOT open a scene first (just double-click) the extra line does NOT appear. If I have a scene opened first, then the extra line appears.

I am NOT having any issues with the parameters tabs or with Carrara crashing after I manually conform items, regardless of the number of them - I stopped at eight.

edited December 1969

Stupid question - probably one more out of curiosity... When you've got Carrara open, Genesis2 male or female loaded into a scene natively from the Smart Content Browser, start loading clothing (before conforming to) ... How many instances of Postgre32 do you see loaded in Task manager? (Yeah i've tried the Postgre 64bit conversion from Valentine in the DIM but it never did anything) ... This is for Carrara 64bit of course...

In my own case i've seen a bunch, easily 5 or 6 Postgre32's running in Windows Task Manager when I have Carrara loaded, Genesis2, several clothing pieces, and begin to conform them one by one when Carrara ultimately crashes...

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Mohandai said:
    Stupid question - probably one more out of curiosity... When you've got Carrara open, Genesis2 male or female loaded into a scene natively from the Smart Content Browser, start loading clothing (before conforming to) ... How many instances of Postgre32 do you see loaded in Task manager? (Yeah i've tried the Postgre 64bit conversion from Valentine in the DIM but it never did anything) ... This is for Carrara 64bit of course...

In my own case i've seen a bunch, easily 5 or 6 Postgre32's running in Windows Task Manager when I have Carrara loaded, Genesis2, several clothing pieces, and begin to conform them one by one when Carrara ultimately crashes...

Yes, that's correct, there should be about half a dozen instances of postgres.

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited July 2015

Mohandai said:
    ...Having 3 levels of heirarchy + per bone, and the lower 2 being the ones where the Parameters tab shows up can be good, but also frustrating sometimes too... Especialy when your looking for something specific...

When I am looking for something specific I usually do this:
    1. Is it a shape change? - Look under the Actor level Parameters
    2. Is it a movement or expression? - Look under the top level Parameters (top level being the level just above Actor, not the group/character name level)
    3. Then in whichever one I expect to find it based on the two questions above I just type part of what I think the dial is called in the filter to quickly find it

I can almost always find something right away doing this.

The dials that appear under the head are duplicated in the top level parameters, so I never use those and just use the ones in the top level.

Incidentally, if you have that group above the top level - that is, going up, you have actor, then the top level, then another level named for the character, that final level with no parameters is just a normal group (like if you selected something and hit control-g) and can be deleted without issue if it bothers you. I tend to keep it and put anything parented to the figure in there, plus it reminds me which UV set the figure was loaded with. :)

Genesis2_ParameterDials.jpg
    480 x 781 - 68K
    Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on
    edited December 1969

MDO2010 said:
    Mohandai said:
    ...Having 3 levels of heirarchy + per bone, and the lower 2 being the ones where the Parameters tab shows up can be good, but also frustrating sometimes too... Especialy when your looking for something specific...

2. Is it a movement or expression? - Look under the top level Parameters (top level being the level just above Actor, not the group/character name level)
    3. Then in whichever one I expect to find it based on the two questions above I just type part of what I think the dial is called in the filter to quickly find it

The dials that appear under the head are duplicated in the top level parameters, so I never use those and just use the ones in the top level.

Yes, I work the same way. Works without flaw for me. Well... when I have a Parameters tab, that is ;)

One of the things I really love about Genesis 2 figures is how this is all set up. It's really quite a nice design, especially after getting to know it. But also after adding a bunch of new shapes and expressions to work with. Thorne makes those excellent head-tweak shape morphs and several artists make really great expressions that are super handy to have in the list. I really like the list filter. It makes animating really fluid for me.

Incidentally, if you have that group above the top level - that is, going up, you have actor, then the top level, then another level named for the character, that final level with no parameters is just a normal group (like if you selected something and hit control-g) and can be deleted without issue if it bothers you. I tend to keep it and put anything parented to the figure in there, plus it reminds me which UV set the figure was loaded with. :)
    True. But just remember to drag the figure out of the group before deleting it! ;)

edited July 2015

...True. But just remember to drag the figure out of the group before deleting it! ;) ...

:red:

Yes - I forgot that part. Very important!

hello people,
    I just bought 8.5 per Carrara, but I did not get serial number. an error of support or I did something wrong?

Go to your DAZ 3D account

Look under your Available Serial Numbers section 

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100

I think that the only reason the one in my screenshot doesn't show the extra line in the hierarchy is because I just double-clicked on the file without having a scene open first. I'm pretty sure that I also have the extra hierarchy line. But the issue is the same, even when I load into an already opened scene. Somebody else was having my issue earlier in this thread, I think...
    I'm sure I'll find a way to correct it. I didn't have this before the latest update. Perhaps I just need to uninstall > re-install? We'll see. I'm not scared just yet! ;)

I think that the only reason the one in my screenshot doesn't show the extra line in the hierarchy is because I just double-clicked on the file without having a scene open first. I'm pretty sure that I also have the extra hierarchy line. But the issue is the same, even when I load into an already opened scene. Somebody else was having my issue earlier in this thread, I think...thinK.

That is the behavior from the build before the most recent one. It should be fixed. 

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited July 2015
    MDO1989 said:

Mohandai said:

Incidentally, if you have that group above the top level - that is, going up, you have actor, then the top level, then another level named for the character, that final level with no parameters is just a normal group (like if you selected something and hit control-g) and can be deleted without issue if it bothers you. I tend to keep it and put anything parented to the figure in there, plus it reminds me which UV set the figure was loaded.

--------------------------------+Sorry formatting got messed up. +-----------------------

Technically the first line is the "scene line," which is why it shows when you merge into an existing scene. The next line, you called it top line, is the "animation" line and is the rig. The third "actor" line is the "mesh" line and represents the actual polys, edges and verts. You are essentially correct though. 

I find the scene line very useful as it allows me to quickly collapse a figure and all of the things that go with it on more crowded scenes.

I also the to drag and drop clothing onto the figure directly in the viewport for quick conforming of clothing. 

Post edited by DAZ_Spooky on
    edited July 2015

Technically the first line is the "scene line," which is why it shows when you merge into an existing scene. The next line, you called it top line, is the "animation" line and is the rig. The third "actor" line is the "mesh" line and represents the actual polys, edges and verts. You are essentially correct though. 

Thanks!  I didn't know the different levels/lines had actual names so I made up my own; I always prefer to know the real names of things though. wink 

•  

haluksengrafik said:

Hello everyone,

When I try to export an object, it throws out an error saying "fbx.dll failed to load",

HI, have you find a solution ? The same things happened now to me both on regular and public Carrara.

No, unfortunately, I haven't found a solution to this. Just using the old version. (8.5.0)

edited July 2015

haluksengrafik said:

Hello everyone,

No, unfortunately, I haven't found a solution to this. Just using the old version. (8.5.0)

I don't use the FBX format, so I'm not sure if this is a real fix or not.

I tried the FBX export option with a simple cube and got the same error message. I examined the Carrara application package contents and found a file named fbx.dll in the Extensions folder with a size of zero KB. In comparison, my copy of Carrara 8.5.0.243 had a file named FBX.dll (in upper case) with a size of 4.9 MB.

I copied the FBX.dll file from Carrara 8.5.0.243 to Carrara 8.5.1.19 (renaming the zero KB one first, just in case I needed to revert back to the original), restarted Carrara and tried to export a cube in FBX format again. This time it appeared to work.

This may or may not be a fix. Just passing along my findings.

Post edited by de3an on

Has anyone else been able to test the FBX export work-around described in the previous post?

Just to be clear, this is a Macintosh version work-around.

Is it also an issue in the Windows version? If so I imagine that the same procedure would work for it as well.

• If i know where to find an older version, i try to do this, but you cant download an older version on Daz3D. I ask on the helpdesk they say " We are aware of this issue and are working on a fix to the problem. I will let you know when I have heard any more information."

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147

If i know where to find an older version, i try to do this, but you cant download an older version on Daz3D. I ask on the helpdesk they say " We are aware of this issue and are working on a fix to the problem. I will let you know when I have heard any more information."

if you got a old version  here - theres a download for it in your account .

• haluksengrafikhaluksengrafik Posts: 4
    edited July 2015
    de3an said:

haluksengrafik said:

Hello everyone,

I don't use the FBX format, so I'm not sure if this is a real fix or not.

I tried the FBX export option with a simple cube and got the same error message. I examined the Carrara application package contents and found a file named fbx.dll in the Extensions folder with a size of zero KB. In comparison, my copy of Carrara 8.5.0.243 had a file named FBX.dll (in upper case) with a size of 4.9 MB.

I copied the FBX.dll file from Carrara 8.5.0.243 to Carrara 8.5.1.19 (renaming the zero KB one first, just in case I needed to revert back to the original), restarted Carrara and tried to export a cube in FBX format again. This time it appeared to work.

This may or may not be a fix. Just passing along my findings.

Hi! Sorry for not replying earlier. I can confirm that putting the fbx.dll file from the old version into the relevant folder of the new version of Carrara works as you said.

Thanks for the suggestion & cheers! :)

Post edited by haluksengrafik on
  • TimBoTimBo Posts: 151

I recently had to wipe a drive and reinstall everything.  On that computer I had downloaded and was running a beta version update to Carrara 8.5 Pro.  I can't seem to find anything on that update.  Even the Icon showed that it was a beta version.  It ran a whole lot faster after that upgrade.  Is it still around?

• david_macraedavid_macrae Posts: 109
    edited July 2015

I emailed customer support about this fbx and they have not answered me back for 5 days so far.

Post edited by david_macrae on