DAZ Studio Pro 4.8.0.59, General Release, Now Available! [*UPDATED*]

Comments

• BobvanBobvan Posts: 2,652
    edited May 2015

Just did thanks. I have 4.7 back on my laptop and 4.8 on my tower at home in case I want to play around with iray..

Post edited by Bobvan on
  • tomtom.wtomtom.w Posts: 138
    edited May 2015

I am not going to try to predict the future :) please file this as a customer service ticket as a feature request. That way it won't. Get lost.
    Was the punctuation at the end of your post, that split the last sentence into two, intentional or accidental?
    Post edited by DAZ_Spooky on
  • AiRen-Irin-MalachyAiRen-Irin-Malachy Posts: 21
    edited December 1969

Carrara 8.,5.1 uses PostgreSQL (It is released), I will have to get that page changed, it is obsolete now. Note DAZ Studio 4.8 will still read Valentina, but we switched to PostgreSQL for stability issues, between DAZ 3D's Content Management Service (Used by Install Manager, Carrara 8.5 and DS) and Valentina, that we couldn't get resolved.

Yes, you will have to install Install Manager to install the Beta.

Thank you, DAZ_Spooky.

I am downloading the Public Beta now, will instal it as soon as it finishes (fingers and toes crossed :-) ). My last 2 dumb questions of the day:
    - I can safely install all the content stuff (Genesis2 Starter essential etc) that came out with the general release yesterday, or should I go via a round-abouty way via earlier Beta content first?

- does the Beta 4.8 'find -' for example - the Dynamic Coth Control plugin by itself and share it with the 4.6 , or it needs to be re-installed in the 4.8 too?

Thank you for all the help, I really appreciate it.

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

Bobvan said:
    Just did thanks. I have 4.7 back on my laptop and 4.8 on my tower at home in case I want to play around with iray..

If you go to the Camera tab in Parameters, and change the Headlamp > Offset > Z parameter, that will make it a lot better, and should really fix it for you.

It must be because the item is so reduced in scale that the Z offset needs shifted.
    edited May 2015

Edit resoled thank you . Why does this happen now and not in 4.7? whats changed? Iray content? even then is turning off preview lights suppose to turn whatever lighting off?

Post edited by Bobvan on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,849
    edited December 1969

Bobvan said:

If you go to the Camera tab in Parameters, and change the Headlamp > Offset > Z parameter, that will make it a lot better, and should really fix it for you.

It must be because the item is so reduced in scale that the Z offset needs shifted.

Ah, yes - I'd forgotten/not realised the offsets loaded non zero. Zeroing them removes the issue.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,849
    edited December 1969

Bobvan said:
    Not really if i come close to regular sized characters it does the same but will give it a try later. Why does this happen now and not in 4.7? whats changed? Iray content? even then is turning off preview lights suppose to turn whatever lighting off?

The change is that we can now control the headlamp, turning ti off on the camera instead of needing a headlamp blocker when using only area lights and effectively repositioning the light source to reduce the "headlampish" glare when using it as an actual render light.

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited May 2015

Carrara 8.,5.1 uses PostgreSQL (It is released), I will have to get that page changed, it is obsolete now. Note DAZ Studio 4.8 will still read Valentina, but we switched to PostgreSQL for stability issues, between DAZ 3D's Content Management Service (Used by Install Manager, Carrara 8.5 and DS) and Valentina, that we couldn't get resolved.

Yes, you will have to install Install Manager to install the Beta.

Thank you, DAZ_Spooky.

I am downloading the Public Beta now, will instal it as soon as it finishes (fingers and toes crossed :-) ). My last 2 dumb questions of the day:
    - I can safely install all the content stuff (Genesis2 Starter essential etc) that came out with the general release yesterday, or should I go via a round-abouty way via earlier Beta content first?

- does the Beta 4.8 'find -' for example - the Dynamic Coth Control plugin by itself and share it with the 4.6 , or it needs to be re-installed in the 4.8 too?

Thank you for all the help, I really appreciate it.
    They do not share, which is why you can have both installed. In fact the only thing they share is the database and any mapped content directories. There are beta plug-ins for the beta version for DAZ 3D Plug-ins. For third party plug-ins, you will probably have to (re)install them, using Install Manager, after DIM has installed the beta. Note: install the Dynamic Cloth Control plug-in after DS is installed.

edited May 2015

tomtom.w said:
    I am not going to try to predict the future :) please file this as a customer service ticket as a feature request. That way it won't. Get lost.
    Was the punctuation at the end of your post, that split the last sentence into two, intentional or accidental?

ROFLMAO! Accidental. LOL
    Thanks

What I get for posting from my phone on the way in. LOL

edited May 2015

Thank you Jimmy you da man! I just re installed 4.8 on my laptop tried what you suggested problem resolved thanks for the help Jim & Rich! Off to close my tikit

Post edited by Bobvan on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,575
    edited December 1969

MEC4D said:
    The same here I have 4 shortcuts to DS and all open 4.8 lol 4.7 is gone

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...OK this is getting stranger and stranger. On my desktop I have the shortcut for Daz 4.6 (which is really 4.7 when it starts up) and the Public Build Beta (4.8.0.53)

Meanwhile, in looking at the DIM "installed" items, it shows Daz Studio 4.8 as already having been installed along with the public build beta. I find it really odd that both have the same package date (05/16/2015) and time stamps as the ones still in the "Ready to Download" tab. Furthermore, I do not see a listing for "Daz Studio 4.7 (Win 64 bit)" in the DIM "Installed" tab. which I would expect to be there.with a package date of sometime in November 2014

This makes absolutely no sense as I have been holding off on downloading anything for the 4.8 General release after reading about issues others have been experiencing as well as am still waiting to see the Lights and Shaders installer appear in the DIM. If the installer in the "Ready to Download" tab is the latest and greatest, shouldn't it then have a more recent package date and different time stamp?

This is beginning to get awfully confusing. My brain seriously hurts. Going off to bed now.

...when I click the Daz 4.6 one it opens 4.7.
  • srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

Remember that old shortcuts are left behind with their old names, but are just pointing at whever DS is installed. So if I install DS, rename that shortcut to include the version number, then upgrade, a new DS shortcut will be created, and both the new one and the one are pointing at the single new install. Although this may not be the issue you are seeing, I know I've made the mistake in the past of seeing my shortcut's version name and assuming that was the version that would be run when I double-clicked it, so I just wanted to mention that possibility.

edited May 2015

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...where do I find this in Windows?

By default it will be in the Public Documents>DAZ 3D>Install Manager>Downloads folder. If you've changed the download location it will be in that folder.
    ...OK, think I found it. Does "IM00013176-02DAZStudio47Win64.zip" sound correct? Date 11/18/2014. Also copied the .dsx file.

Expected the .zip to be larger than 109MB though as the Daz 4.8 Public Beta .zip is twice the size..

Still not seeing a DIM installer for the General Release "Shaders and Lights", just the "Beta 1 DS" content.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited December 1969

Remember that old shortcuts are left behind with their old names, but are just pointing at whever DS is installed. So if I install DS, rename that shortcut to include the version number, then upgrade, a new DS shortcut will be created, and both the new one and the one are pointing at the single new install. Although this may not be the issue you are seeing, I know I've made the mistake in the past of seeing my shortcut's version name and assuming that was the version that would be run when I double-clicked it, so I just wanted to mention that possibility.

...interesting. When I update other software, the old shortcut is removed during the uninstall process and replaced with one that has new version release number.

Guess one could go into the Programme FIles folder right click on the Daz .exe and "send to desktop" which creates a new shortcut with the proper name then delete the old one.

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,063
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    Kyoto Kid said:
    ...where do I find this in Windows?

By default it will be in the Public Documents>DAZ 3D>Install Manager>Downloads folder. If you've changed the download location it will be in that folder.

...OK, think I found it. Does "IM00013176-02DAZStudio47Win64.zip" sound correct? Date 11/18/2014. Also copied the .dsx file.

Expected the .zip to be larger than 109MB though as the Daz 4.8 Public Beta .zip is twice the size..

Still not seeing a DIM installer for the General Release "Shaders and Lights", just the "Beta 1 DS" content.

Sounds about right - remember, 4.8 has Iray and that's not a trivial package.Don't forget the plugins for 4.7, and you may want the starter essentials as well.

The DIM installer for the Iray materials is now 'Default Lights and Shaders for DAZ Studio 4.8" sku 13176 package id 42.

edited December 1969

...have the update for the Generation-X2 plugin as well as the G2F/G2M Starter Essentials..

Finally found "Default Lights and Shaders for DAZ Studio 4.8”. Not in the Product updates section (where I expected them to be) nor do they show at the top of the list when sorting by "Most Recent". Had to hunt through the main products list to find them. So what about the "Public Build Beta" and "Public Content Beta 1 DS" files in the updates section? Do I need those as well?

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...have the update for the Generation-X2 plugin as well as the G2F/G2M Starter Essentials..

Finally found "Default Lights and Shaders for DAZ Studio 4.8”. Not in the Product updates section (where I expected them to be) nor do they show at the top of the list when sorting by "Most Recent". Had to hunt through the main products list to find them. So what about the "Public Build Beta" and "Public Content Beta 1 DS" files in the updates section? Do I need those as well?

The Beta Content one is designed to clean up the content so you don't have conflicting content.
    edited December 1969

..so I do need to download them as well then?

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ..so I do need to download them as well then?
    The Content one should be small.
    edited December 1969

...so just that one is needed for the 'clean up" and I can ignore the 4.8 Public Beta one, correct?

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...so just that one is needed for the 'clean up" and I can ignore the 4.8 Public Beta one, correct?
    The 4.8 public beta would move your public Beta to 4.8.0.55, If I am reading correctly.
    edited May 2015

...which is effectively the same update as the General Release. Sounds a bit redundant, or does that clean up things too?

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,507
    edited December 1969

A friend of mine removed all her beta Iray content and installed this release, but she said that the Genesis 2 male and female Iray 'conversion' shader that we got in the beta was not installed. Is that MAT no longer included in clean installs of the release version? I can't tell because I left the one from the beta installed when I updated.

edited May 2015

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...which is the same update as the General Release.
    Puts them at the same level, in case someone wants to have 4.8.0.55 on the same computer as 4.7. :)
    edited December 1969

A friend of mine removed all her beta Iray content and installed this release, but she said that the Genesis 2 male and female Iray 'conversion' shader that we got in the beta was not installed. Is that MAT no longer included in clean installs of the release version? I can't tell because I left the one from the beta installed when I updated.
    If I recall correctly they should be in the starter essentials updates.
    edited December 1969

...ah got it. So if I don't wish to keep 4.7 installed (I have a backup of the installer) I don't need the Beta version of 4.8.0.55 then.

This has been awfully confusing.

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...ah got it. So if I don't wish to keep 4.7 installed (I have a backup of the installer) I don't need the Beta version of 4.8.0.55 then.

This has been awfully confusing.

You can use Install Manager to uninstall it. Once you run the updater for the Beta content, yo ucan go into filters and turn off Public Beta again. :)

It is confusing because there are lots of options, and not everyone needs all of them. I am sorry for the confusion though.

• stem_athomestem_athome Posts: 516
    edited December 1969

In the beta builds I was able to make some changes to the tone_mapper without it restarting the render(the settings next to the render window). In this final release, any / every setting change causes the render to restart from beginning.

Not good.

edited December 1969

In the beta builds I was able to make some changes to the tone_mapper without it restarting the render(the settings next to the render window). In this final release, any / every setting change causes the render to restart from beginning.

Not good.

Yes. NVIDIA made a change, we are trying to work around it.

Works in the Canvas mode. And if the only canvas you are using is the beauty pass that should work again.

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited May 2015

Hi, I just wanted to share something I discovered yesterday when playing with the new release.

I wanted to import some materials from the scene into shadermixer but when I did they initially wouldn't apply once I had added the brick in. I knew this network should work and this drove me crazy for a while but I thought to change the render engine to 3Delight and then redo the import. The shader then applied as it should.

It appears that they have separated the two systems in some way. Could anyone please provide more info on how this works?

Thanks

Pen

Edited to add we will need to update the info on the shadermixer thread to reflect this also...it would be really great if this info was available for people who like to use shader mixer.

Post edited by Pendraia on