Camera Control - Windows 8

Hi guys,

I am currently working on my thesis regarding camera control in DAZ Studios 4.7 (x64). I have successfully created a plugin that creates different cameras, depending on the user’s selection, some being: face closeups, over the shoulder, mid-body, etc, for figures.

However a problem that occurred through user testing is that Windows 8 Users are unsuccessful in loading the plugin in Daz Studio. I can't say that I have an idea as to why this happens so I was wondering if anyone could possibly help to shed some light on the situation. (I might not be compiling the .dll correctly or something xD)

Currently the only issues known of but not fixed is the positioning of the camera on the Z axis which seems to be different for each PC tested on even though the same version of DAZ Studios was installed. To install the plugin in simply drag the .dll file in the plugin’s folder in the location where DAZ Studios is located and that should work fine. From there the plugin pane can be brought up by opening Daz Studios going to Windows->Panes->Camera Control. (May not be alphabetically ordered in the list)

If it is not too much trouble I would appreciate if you would download the plugin and also give it a try and supply any feedback on it’s efficiency, accuracy and possibly any bugs or changes that you think might be suitable.

Anyways, I’d like to thank everyone who took the time to help test and evaluate my plugin, looking forward to any feedback/criticism. If you have any problems regarding getting it to work feel free to message me.

EDIT:

Created an installer to try and resolve the problem that is encountered by some users during installation.

Link to the ZIP file containing the installer: https://www.mediafire.com/?w848rjtzz1f93q4
(Couldn’t directly upload the plugin here)

Post edited by benjamin.muscat.12_c5937cba00 on

Comments

• edited December 1969

I can only get my hands on Win7 at the moment and on that it runs and works fine...
    the only thing I can say to do is maybe a "Select a camera type! Fool!!" dialog otherwise nice work :)
    What version of VS are you using?

I'll install Daz on a Win8.1 machine tomorrow and see what happens, I've done QT exe and dll's without any problems but its the most recent QT and the VS 2013 compiler, but if Daz works ok on this win8 machine and your plugin doesn't I can try my own project and see if that breaks and hopefully find an answer.. unless someone more qualified already has an answer!

• edited December 1969

arfur9 said:
    I can only get my hands on Win7 at the moment and on that it runs and works fine...
    the only thing I can say to do is maybe a "Select a camera type! Fool!!" dialog otherwise nice work :)
    What version of VS are you using?

I'll install Daz on a Win8.1 machine tomorrow and see what happens, I've done QT exe and dll's without any problems but its the most recent QT and the VS 2013 compiler, but if Daz works ok on this win8 machine and your plugin doesn't I can try my own project and see if that breaks and hopefully find an answer.. unless someone more qualified already has an answer!

I use Qt5 and VS 2013. Building the plugin I followed the DAZ SDK SceneInfo Sample provided to make sure I wasn't missing anything. Could it be that the sample was a bit outdated and running on it on Windows 8 requires an addition of some specific lines of code? Anyway thanks for your help, greatly appreciate it :)

• edited December 1969

did you give it a unique GUID? I know the "my first Plugin" conflicts with the most recent Daz Studio
    My laptop with Win8 has a rubbish Intel graphics card and the opengl version is to old and no newer drivers so Studio wont run

• edited December 1969

arfur9 said:
    did you give it a unique GUID? I know the "my first Plugin" conflicts with the most recent Daz Studio
    My laptop with Win8 has a rubbish Intel graphics card and the opengl version is to old and no newer drivers so Studio wont run

Yes I did give it a unique GUID (generated by VS). I don't have Windows 8 so I can't really test why it won't load on Win8. :/
    Could the version number I am providing be outdated, or is it insignificant? Currently I use 1.9.0.12 I just took a random plugin that worked and copied it's version number. lol

• LegalizeAdulthoodLegalizeAdulthood Posts: 115
    edited December 1969

How are your users installing your plugin? If they just attempt to copy the file into the plugins folder, is it possible they are falling victim to the virtualization feature in Windows described here?

If your plugin gets put in the virtual store and not in the actual install location under %ProgramFiles%, then DAZ Studio won't find the plugin.

• LpProjectLpProject Posts: 41
    edited December 1969

In my windows 8.1 x64 and daz studio 4.7.0.12 x64 your plugin loaded successfully and work fine

• edited December 1969

How are your users installing your plugin? If they just attempt to copy the file into the plugins folder, is it possible they are falling victim to the virtualization feature in Windows described here?

If your plugin gets put in the virtual store and not in the actual install location under %ProgramFiles%, then DAZ Studio won't find the plugin.

Ye, I was suspecting that this might be the case. I suppose creating an installer should nullify this issue. So I created one. haha

I updated the link for the zip file containing the installer: https://www.mediafire.com/?w848rjtzz1f93q4

This should hopefully resolve any installation issues.