Art of the Promo

Comments

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,552
    edited December 1969

oh wow. those are nice. As is your excellent new release! I get paid later this week. And it will be mine. =-)

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    edited December 1969

This image provides a sense of scale. Giving the impression of desolation. A landscape devoid of life. Did this individual just land here or did he crash land? Is he stranded or exploring?

02-sky-sphere-environments-desolate-desert-arches-daz3d.jpg
    1300 x 702 - 217K
  • FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,218
    edited December 1969

This image provides a sense of scale. Giving the impression of desolation. A landscape devoid of life. Did this individual just land here or did he crash land? Is he stranded or exploring?

Good questions, all. I thought it might work well as a wrap around cover for a paperback, but have yet to write the novel. Thank you for posting it and the evocative questions.

edited December 1969

You can never go wrong with burning lava surrounding a figure, the off putting sense of dread, and discombobulation of threat, probably an instinctual life preserving need to survive from a time when humans had to avoid the dangerous forces of nature. This Paladin promo plays with the concepts well. Plus I like the reflection of flames on the metal.

http://www.daz3d.com/paladin-hd-mmxv-for-genesis-2-males-s

(I would have added the blue one too, working with a fire and ice theme if the background had been set in Stonemason's WinterKingdom)

01-paladin-hd-mmxv-daz3d.jpg
    1011 x 1300 - 335K
    edited May 2015

Sometimes all a promo has to do is suggest effective usage. Ron's new Trees brushes set do just that and the promos show them in action. In one image, what could be just a picture of a cliff, becomes more a work of art. And there's something really creatively cool about the South Carolina logo, with the sun washing out the details of the silohuetted trees.

04-rons-trees-daz3d.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 236K
    05-rons-trees-daz3d.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 336K
    Post edited by FirstBastion on
    edited May 2015

There's something very appealing with this Edwardian Vintage Outfit, the main promo in today's newsletter shows a very nice slice of life image circa Titanic 1912. The hair, the parasol, the dress, the expression. All, well done.

main-promo.jpg
    600 x 350 - 96K
    edited May 2015

This IN Action shot of FeralFey's pose set looks like it could have come straight out of the X-Men's Danger Room. There's plenty to take in and view. Some very interesting "defy gravity" stuff going on.

daz3d_in_motion_poses_main.jpg
    960 x 1248 - 242K
  • jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281
    edited December 1969

i love the warping effect on the back wall and the cases in the air - it's little details like that, that really tell a story in an image.

• StonemasonStonemason Posts: 1,160
    edited December 1969

it's a cool shot, makes me glad I did all those crates as separate props..wonder if it was rendered all in one hit

edited December 1969

it's a cool shot, makes me glad I did all those crates as separate props..wonder if it was rendered all in one hit

Was wondering the same thing - just checking Devon's FB page to see if he did them, so I could ask him. LOL.

I think that many characters and props in one would just about kill my laptop. :D

• joelegeckojoelegecko Posts: 64
    edited May 2015

This IN Action shot of FeralFey's pose set looks like it could have come straight out of the X-Men's Danger Room.

That was the idea indeed ;)

Having those crates available as separate props proved useful :)
    It was all rendered as a single pass image ( except for some of the FX ). Surprisingly, it all fitted in the 4GB of VRAM I had with my 770 GTX cards. I managed to grab one of the six Titan X available in Canada so memory is less of an issue now I have 12GB of VRAM :)

I had to delete most of the geometry that wasn't visible anyway to get some light in, so the scene was lighter than expected in the end. Used the Architectural Sampler for this image. It helps getting more light in ( even without portals ) at the price of a longer time to converge.

Post edited by joelegecko on
    edited December 1969

This IN Action shot of FeralFey's pose set looks like it could have come straight out of the X-Men's Danger Room.

That was the idea indeed ;)

Having those crates available as separate props proved useful :)
    It was all rendered as a single pass image ( except for some of the FX ). Surprisingly, it all fitted in the 4GB of VRAM I had with my 770 GTX cards. I managed to grab one of the six Titan X available in Canada so memory is less of an issue now I have 12GB of VRAM :)

Awesome job - the FX adds a lot to it, and still in awe of it being done in one pass. :D

• joelegeckojoelegecko Posts: 64
    edited December 1969

My first project with iRay proved more problematic ( a bathroom with almost no way to get some natural light in ). I need to move from Octane to iRay. Slowly learning about the engine :)

• StonemasonStonemason Posts: 1,160
    edited December 1969

yea I've got the same issue now,moving from Octane to Iray...so much to learn and so little time.thanks for the info on the render.

edited December 1969

This ones just got the whole Mad scientist vibe going on. Even without any character figures visible, it tells a potential story. Throw in the Cinematicaspect ratio and we've got an engaging environment promo for the Lab.

01-liquid-lab-daz3d.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 168K
    edited December 1969

I like these two guys from the prison clothes for genesis 2 male inspecting that flying bike. Their posture and the scene is well concocted.

image.jpg
    1538 x 2000 - 391K
    edited May 2015

Okay its probably well established by now that I've got a soft spot for all the guy's guy stuff, like sci-fi, action movies, westerns, post-apocalyptic, and medieval mayhem, and sprawling fantasy, so there's no shortage of fun provocative promos currently available for viewing. Let start with Nightshift's scifi Freight Containers, who is a PA pal on mine, has this great promo image showing these excellently textured container props being used by underappreciated Dystopian Worker Drones in a realistic scifi situation. I'm all about story telling and making a image reflect a potentially real slice of life (even if it is a futuristic one) and this does it really well. That's exactly the kind of stuff you need to help fill up a scene and make it look lived in.

05-sci-fi-freight-containers-daz3d.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 329K
    edited December 1969

On to Westerns, I would have liked to have seen a gun fight in the dirt road in the center of this old Western Town with towns folk populating the walkways and building, but this low angled establishing shot of the US Marshals office gives that classic western feel even without any people, and the details on the wagon are pretty good and the dry grass is a nice touch of authenticity.

05-western-town-daz3d.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 283K
    edited May 2015

Okay I admit, I've played more than few post apocalyptic, zombie horde, fight for you life type video games in my day. So whenever there's a promo that hints at that genre I appreciate the effort. This is a particularly cool location, ARkham's Derelict Locker Room, and the lighting here is quite realistic with the warm orangy glow of the incandescent light from the cage ceiling fixtures. Again we've got some great texturing and the the chainlink itself is real polygons which capture the light and cast more interesting shadows. I'm pretty sure those are smay zombies and the poses are perfect to set the mood. I would have liked a more pronounced expression and active pose on the female but there's enough here to warrant notice. Who's not going to like the broken locker door, and the dirt and grass in the corner. Details rock!

00-main-zworld-derelict-locker-room.jpg
    960 x 1248 - 258K
    edited December 1969

There's also a historical transportation theme going on this week with two releases that have jsut the right amount of authenticity in the promo art that help trigger a ponederance or two. Let's start with Ansiko's Ferry Boat, thought the image that caught my eye was from the accompanying Poses set. Now I've been a decent swimmer most my life and a lifeguard at 16, but that size ferry boat with those four full size Bel-Airs vehicles would scare the heck out of me, though I'm sure, certain parts of North America and other part of the world still have these type of ferrys for short crossings even today. And not a life jacket or a seat belt in sight, see now that authentic, how the hell did we all manage to survive?

02-ferry-boat-poses-daz3d.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 321K
    edited May 2015

The second transportation scene is the Historic Japanese Train Station by Sugatak. Not a person to be seen but surprisingly this one promo feel like they just stepped out, perhaps to the platform to see if the train had refueled and will be on its way shortly, and the ticket taker has just bent down to pick something off the floor beyond the glass. Historically appropriate luggage graces the benches. Just detailed slice of life, and we're mere second away from a Hollywood star to run into frame, chasing after the woman he loves, to stop her from boarding the train and leaving his life forever. Good stuff.

07-historic-japanese-train-station-daz3d.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 273K
    edited December 1969

Big release yesterday, with the new Ninive character figure and all the accessory bundles. One of the promos that stood out was the one for Arthurian Outfit by nikisatez, though since this is a DAZ original the art may have be done by one of the DAZ artists. I particularly like the storytelling here, the Gwenevere character has just the right amount of disgust and determination as she stares down the cowering culprit at the end of her sword, and the surrounding guards give the aire that she is more than capable to deal with this small nuissance. Subtle, yet well designed.

00-daz3d_arthurian-outfit-for-genesis-2-female_s_.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 275K
    edited December 1969

All I look for in these "art of the promo" inclusion, is a piece of art that actually inspires and triggers a paragraph worth of comments because of the product art. So Hellboy's new Big Afro Hair, caught my attetion and had me all nostalgic for the Seventies,
    the three panels, which are showing the functional fits for the various Genesis models, also delivers a side by side compilation that captures the chronological evolution of the flower child to disco excesses of the era that took place in less than a decade; there's just something cool with the lens flares and bokeh particles that elevates the promo to a snapshot of mid 1970's ad art.

12-big-afro-hair-for-genesis-and-genesis-2-daz3d.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 257K
    edited May 2015

Stonemason' Streets of Olde London, need we say more. A story told with a single cinematic frame. Outstanding!

03-the-streets-of-old-london-daz3d.jpg
    1400 x 857 - 283K
    edited April 2016

Who doesn't like aviation. Today's entries are both  and they're both aircraft, though from different eras. The first is the 1970's workhorse military copter that rhymes with Huey, and the other a classic barn storming acrobatic biplane. One image is set on the ground the other in the sky but both tell a story while catching our interest and showing the potential.

edited December 1969

I thought the Digivault "Flash Sale" art image was really clever. Great use of the troll, and love the perspective and the camera panning.

digivault.JPG
    518 x 408 - 52K
  • The DigiVaultThe DigiVault Posts: 438
    edited December 1969

I thought the Digivault "Flash Sale" art image was really clever. Great use of the troll, and love the perspective and the camera panning.

Thanks Serene. It's one of my favorite promos. Love that big fella!

edited December 1969

Thanks Serene. It's one of my favorite promos. Love that big fella!

That image is great! I love how the bots are fleeing. Great sense of emotion and epicness!

edited December 1969

Today's inclusion are three very ambitious images all surrounding the Historical event of Shackleton's expedition to Antartica by Ansiko. The promos are from two complimentary sets currently in new releases. Most Impressive!

antartica_expedition_01.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 275K
    03-antarctica-expedition-the-ship-daz3d.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 361K
    02-antarctica-expedition-the-ship-daz3d.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 306K
  • 3WC3WC Posts: 1,091
    edited December 1969

Today's inclusion are three very ambitious images all surrounding the Historical event of Shackleton's expedition to Antartica by Ansiko. The promos are from two complimentary sets currently in new releases. Most Impressive!

Complimentary as in "free"? Or did you mean complementary?