Art of the Promo

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,858
    edited December 1969

Super cool promo image this morning. Love the sheen off the metal on the new Battle Armour for Big Cat. The underlying metal texture has the knicks and grooves of sword strikes. Now that's attention to detail.

http://www.daz3d.com/new-releases/battle-armour-for-big-cat-2

Definitely agree. This one has a nice dappling of light and shade too, love the difference on that back leg (our right.) Also noticed the glimmer of the chest piece (our right) that is just slightly lighter than the rest which is in shade. I love those tiny nuances. :)

And MBusch is spot on- the girls are tastefully done and seem like they are having a nice time, it's not raunchy and the prop blend is awesome.

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,184
    edited November 2014

This one is interesting, technically it's not a promo yet though I did see it in the WIP commercial thread so I guees it'll count in this case. I'm not all the keen on dark promos, I always think they're trying to hide something. but this is a Faveral environment prop set, and the man does exceptional work; the subtle lighting on this brings out the rich possibilities of this set. The evening sky and the gentle ripple of the ocean water help define this shoreline fishing village location. There are a bunch of images in the thread. Definitely worth a look.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/48227/

Render_4.jpg
    600 x 356 - 34K
    Post edited by FirstBastion on
    edited November 2014

This is turning into a great month for promo art. Plenty to look at and enjoy. Whole bunch of armor bundles released today, but for some reason this addon prop set promo caught my eye. It's a particularly realized active image, must be the banner fluttering in the wind or the cant angle on the camera or or compositional balance, or that each item is shown in the "clean" and "dirty" texture versions all in a single shot. Well thought out.

00-daz3d_the-griffin-war-pack_.jpg
    960 x 1248 - 334K
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,551
    edited November 2014

I'm partial to the regency guy with the pigeon on the promo banner. I'm finding all the new releases with armor to be a bit overwhelming to look at all together although some are nicely done.

regency_for_genesis_2_male_s_main_promo.jpg
    960 x 1248 - 187K
    Post edited by Serene Night on
    edited November 2014

The pigeons are a great dynamic element.

I always like realism in promos and Stonemasons Mars Habitat has a few great promos today. Theres no watermark noting which renderer was used, but they look great just the same. Theres also some haze, fog and depth of field too. I also like the cinematic aspect ratio, gives a sense of breadth and depth.

popup07_1_43.jpg
    1300 x 846 - 226K
    edited November 2014

Usually I am scanning new releases for possible candidates for this thread but I just happened to click through the current scifi clothing sale and saw this that must have released during the Gianni 6 Launch. The V Diesel influence is pretty obvious here but the red hues of the backgrounds and lighting are vibrant and rich and though it could have easily used a more dynamic pose it is a very compelling promo that draws a viewers attention. What more can a promo ask for.

http://www.daz3d.com/outpost-mercenary-textures

The other image is the banner ad image that got me to click through to the sale in the first place. Apparently it also performed its function.

1111-sci-fi-clothing.jpg
    500 x 389 - 66K
    _daz3d-product-page_outpost-mercenary-textures_.jpg
    960 x 1248 - 252K
    edited December 1969

Relax, sit back, take a load off and enjoy the tropical breeze. Here's another one I saw deeper into the store, its by ForbiddenWhispers/FWArt. It's simple yet professionally realized. And look at that sand.
    http://www.daz3d.com/beach-pod

beachpodbppromo1-daz3d.jpg
    900 x 500 - 118K
    beachpodmain.jpg
    960 x 1248 - 244K
  • ZarconDeeGrissomZarconDeeGrissom Posts: 5,412
    edited December 1969

Been buisy sifting threw the rapidly growing collection of stuff I got the past few months. Including that Beach pod of all things. Realy nice set, I just got a brain cramp on how to use that in a scene except as a backdrop for Wachiwi combo comparison.
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/663608/
    yea, the figure includes two body shapes, and two face shapes.

As for new stuff, Perhaps I'll do it again. I'll dress a set with some one else's shaders, lol.
    IDG Silk and Lace Shaders
    http://www.daz3d.com/idg-silk-and-lace-shaders
    Tho I will not be doing that this week, I probably will when I get a chance.

Shaders are nice to have on hand, when you need to touch up an older set to look better, or to make different outfit items match.

00-main-idg-silk-and-lace-shaders-daz3d.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 349K
    edited November 2014

Nice shader, and you are so right, you can always put the good ones to good use.

I don't usually get drawn into straight, standard, "person smiling" portraits, (cause they can be quite un-inventive, and they're pretty darn common) but for some reason this one caught my eye. It's the main promo for an expressions pack for G2F, but its the realism of the model and additional shots insets, that pull you in and grab your attention. Well done 3DCelebrity.

http://www.daz3d.com/make-her-smile-expressions-for-genesis-2-female-s

main_74_21.jpg
    960 x 1248 - 221K
    edited December 1969

Now this is incredible. How many times have I seen exaggerated out of focus stuff, and the mane focal point of the image is barley distinguishable from the blur everywhere in the image. Yet here we have it done right, depth of field, and the main subject is in near perfect focus.

Silmefea for Genesis 2 Female(s) by Aeon Soul.
    http://www.daz3d.com/silmefea-for-genesis-2-female-s

04run.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 243K
    edited December 1969

Now this is incredible. How many times have I seen exaggerated out of focus stuff, and the mane focal point of the image is barley distinguishable from the blur everywhere in the image. Yet here we have it done right, depth of field, and the main subject is in near perfect focus.

The Reality plugin for DS has a great bit of functionality, you can select an item in the scene, and then that calculates the focal length for the depth of field exactly from the camera lens. If you look closely at the image, the advancing knee and the trailing hand are both soft focused; the button at the waist and the right side of the bustier are on the plane of focus. It is a great dynamic shot, which is no surprise, AS have been producing compelling promo images for years. They are masters.

• goggerfett@gmail.com[email protected] Posts: 2,284
    edited December 1969

I agree with you Serene, good story telling shots.

AntFarm s new Portable outpost has a great artistic type promo released today, the post worked paint brush strokes effect is a great touch. http://www.daz3d.com/new-releases/mech-vardon

For anyone wondering, Paint Brush effects courtesy of Emme's "Sketchy Painting" effect via Filter Forge.

Filter# 8847

I use this one a lot myself.

edited December 1969

The V Diesel influence is pretty obvious...

I get what you mean about Vin Diesel, but all I see is a bald Tom Hanks. ;)

• ForbiddenWhispersForbiddenWhispers Posts: 1,425
    edited December 1969

Relax, sit back, take a load off and enjoy the tropical breeze. Here's another one I saw deeper into the store, its by ForbiddenWhispers/FWArt. It's simple yet professionally realized. And look at that sand.
    http://www.daz3d.com/beach-pod

Aww..... :red: Thank You. I really enjoyed making the promos for that set and so pleased it's getting such a positive reception.

edited December 1969

I was looking at supersuit troopers- great set of sci-fi shaders by the way, and these two bits of promo art caught my eye, even if the product itself looks a bit plain, the artists did a nice job with perspective and characters.

smaller.jpg
    1350 x 1755 - 1M
    supersuit_scene_1d3_pw.jpg
    1200 x 675 - 728K
    edited December 1969

The Reality plugin for DS has a great bit of functionality, you can select an item in the scene, and then that calculates the focal length for the depth of field exactly from the camera lens. If you look closely at the image, the advancing knee and the trailing hand are both soft focused; the button at the waist and the right side of the bustier are on the plane of focus. It is a great dynamic shot, which is no surprise, AS have been producing compelling promo images for years. They are masters. Sorry for the late reply, been a tad bit busy with my other hobbies, lol.

I was not just referring to renders being completely out of focus, lol. That dose sound like a cool tool. I've mostly avoided nifty cams and exotic light sets, just so I could better assist another beginner to the hobby, by keeping to basics. That and I don't have PS, and refuse to go with rent-wear. Anything over 20USD is an investment not a consumable from my prospective.

SereneNight, I like that vortex looking one by the way, nice. :coolsmile:

edited December 1969

AntFarm's new creature feature, Cryptozoic-Worm, hints back to either the Tremors or DUNE movies. Definitely something out of the ordinary. It leaps off the new releases page, sometimes the concept behind the product itself elevates the possibilities of the promo art.

https://www.daz3d.com/cryptozoic-worm

00-main-cryptozoic-worm-daz3d.jpg
    960 x 1248 - 236K
    edited December 1969

Now that is reminiscent of some art I had seen in the Werewolf The Apocalypse RPG books. That was some time ago, lol.

Thanks FirstBastion and The AntFarm.

edited December 1969

I like the worm a lot. Neat bit of promo art. I like that they look nice ankle-biter size too. I may pick up that.

edited December 1969

Stonemason's Contemporary Living - WOW!

I can't tell if this is Reality or Octane, but it sure is nice! I bought it without hesitation and then have been wrestling with getting it lit just the way I want it, but these promos are to die for!

And pretty cool - using Streets of Asia in one of the pictures hanging on the wall. ;)

01-contemporary-living-daz3d.jpg
    1300 x 704 - 230K
    08-contemporary-living-daz3d.jpg
    1300 x 704 - 138K
  • joelegeckojoelegecko Posts: 64
    edited December 1969

The fireflies ( no link with the Last Of Us :) in the first image tend to demonstrate it was done with an unbiased render engine ( Octane or another one ).

The second image is using the Indirect Lighting option from the Uber Environment light. It works beautifully.
    * add a furry ball and prepare to never see the end of your render though, transparency kills its performance in IL mode *

edited December 1969

The fireflies ( no link with the Last Of Us :) in the first image tend to demonstrate it was done with an unbiased render engine ( Octane or another one ).

Ha Ha! I see what happened there. I should have said "...done with Reality Render engine, or Octane." ;)

• StonemasonStonemason Posts: 1,156
    edited December 1969

joelegecko is correct , the first image is Octane, the second is Uberenvironment,
    thanks for the plug!

edited December 1969

I like the promos here for the the genesis 2 romper. I like promo art that tells a story.

02-daz3d_strapless-romper-for-genesis-2-females_.jpg
    750 x 975 - 149K
    01-daz3d_strapless-romper-for-genesis-2-females_.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 204K
    edited December 2014

Today's highlighted promo is courtesy of Dogz, featured in the new traditional school girl's uniform, a classic family friendly design of clothing. The shot of the three friends just posing for a realistic snapshot, feels very real and casual, even if there's a hint of comicbook style postwork. Each girls seems to have a unique personality with choice of hair and dialed faces. In the actual commercial thread, dclane put the same outfit on an older woman and changed the texture with some shaders. Apparently a very versatile outfit.

http://www.daz3d.com/time-for-school-for-genesis-2-female-s

I then happened to take a look at Dogz storefront and noticed a real cool render of an English train line. Again a very realistic scene I shuld have noticed sooner, There's great attention to detail. Nicely done.

http://www.daz3d.com/the-old-railway

00-main-the-old-railway-daz3d.jpg
    846 x 1100 - 305K
    03-time-for-school-for-genesis-2-females-daz3d.jpg
    1100 x 846 - 206K
  • IndigoJansonIndigoJanson Posts: 1,100
    edited December 1969

Today's highlighted promo is courtesy of Dogz, featured in the new traditional school girl's uniform, a classic family friendly design of clothing. The shot of the three friends just posing for a realistic snapshot, feels very real and casual, even if there's a hint of comicbook style postwork. Each girls seems to have a unique personality with choice of hair and dialed faces.

I really appreciated the realism and naturalness of the girls in these promos. So nice to see schoolgirls who look like the youngsters they are, not some adults in kids clothing. The poses are relaxed and believable. The hair also added a lot, love that middle girl's style especially.

Great choice FirstBastion!

• IndigoJansonIndigoJanson Posts: 1,100
    edited December 1969

A promo has something special when it has me considering a product that's a complete departure from what I'd normally think about buying.

Lazer Cat by The AntFarm is the perfect example. This fantastic composition is simple but full of personality. No need for the actual dog, the shadow speaks volumes, balancing the off-centre composition of our hero. The pose as he runs towards the camera, that hint of motion blur, the gleam of metal and the glint in his eyes all contribute to a scene that feels dynamic and fun.

pop7_3_33.jpg
    1538 x 2000 - 349K
    edited December 1969

Jack Tomalin has revigorated a classic. Baroque Grandeur I've always liked the look of this set. But this fisheyed lens image shows off the wall, ceiling and floor simultaneously. And the lighting is very realistic.

http://www.daz3d.com/extravagance-for-baroque-grandeur

Even if it ain't baroque (broke), you can still fix it. Sorry for the absolutely bad pun.

00-main-extravagance-for-baroque-grandeur-daz3d.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 288K
  • SauronLivezSauronLivez Posts: 145
    edited December 1969

I've always been enamored of Valandar's work (products AND promo's), but this image has always stood out to me; Mostly because I've always loved the story the image seems to tell, and also, because it brings me back to my childhood and the days of 2.5E D&D, and the classic image from the DMs Guide (or was it the Monster Manual?) that this image is based on....

popup01_1_8.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 264K
    edited December 1969

Having played literally hundreds of hours of Skyrim in our household, I couldn't help but find this promo image of THE OUTLOOK by Predatron compelling. The color tones with the sunset sky, the rich details in the landscape and vegetation, the Outlook looks great!

01-the-outlook-daz3d.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 390K