Garibaldi Express: Hair and Fur Plugin [Commercial]

Comments

• j cadej cade Posts: 2,310
    edited December 1969

Pretty sure it exports in the state it is on the screen when you export. So, if you export while on the tweak tab. It will look like you want.

• none01ohonenone01ohone Posts: 862
    edited April 2015

Kamion99 said:
    Pretty sure it exports in the state it is on the screen when you export. So, if you export while on the tweak tab. It will look like you want.

Thanks, I didn't realize you couldn't save the final form on all the tabs. I was saving on the Style Tab. Saved OK on the Tweak tab.
    Thanks for the help Kamion99. :-)
    It's been a while since I've dabbled with Garibaldi.

Garibaldi-Tweak.png
    1396 x 734 - 336K
    Post edited by none01ohone on
    edited December 1969

You may find this matte script set helpful for compositing hair: https://sites.google.com/site/millighostmix/home/holdout_matte

Thank you so much! this absolutely saved my life/absolute crapload of hours rendering out masks.

Final render is up in my gallery

Does anyone want me to give a more in depth rundown of the methodology and settings? I think its probably a good method for a lot of hair, not just wild, and its not actually that complicated. It also seems to be a bit less prone to issues with the interpolation and clumping pulling hair through the body that usually happens when I make long hair.

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

Kamion99 said:

You may find this matte script set helpful for compositing hair: https://sites.google.com/site/millighostmix/home/holdout_matte

Thank you so much! this absolutely saved my life/absolute crapload of hours rendering out masks.

Does anyone want me to give a more in depth rundown of the methodology and settings? I think its probably a good method for a lot of hair, not just wild, and its not actually that complicated. It also seems to be a bit less prone to issues with the interpolation and clumping pulling hair through the body that usually happens when I make long hair.

Sure, thanks :-)

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited December 1969

Kamion99 said:

Please! I have forgotten too much since that last time that I used GH that an in depth look would be much appreciated.

Thank you very much.

• GhostofMacbethGhostofMacbeth Posts: 1,540
    edited December 1969

That would be nice. Thank you.

• none01ohonenone01ohone Posts: 862
    edited December 1969

Yep, I'd like the idiot's guide please. :red:

edited April 2015

Okay here goes. I'm not the best at explaining so if something makes no sense ask me to explain it better.

The overall methodology: There are three layers but I do 90% of the styling on the base one. The other two are copies that I modify the slightly

Base Layer Settings:

Distribution amount: 75
    Width Base: .01
    Tip: .001

Interpolation SegLength .32
    Auto Parting: 61.2

Clump1 Strength .95
    Bias: .97
    Amount .32

Tweak

Random Root
    Pitch .7
    roll .6
    yaw .8

Scraggle1
    Clump Curves 1
    strength 1.88
    Frequency .31

Scraggle2
    Before Clump 1
    Strength 1.7
    frequency 1.02

Frizz
    Base .19
    tip .06

Obviously you don't have to use these settings exactly the key one is the clumping this is what makes the hair look like locks of hair rather than a solid mass. Unfortunately it does have the side effect of making the hair near the scalp look terrible which is why I gave the fill layer.

Fill layer:
    As the name suggests this layer's purpose was to fill in the areas left blank by the clumping of the main layer. The only editing I did in terms of moving the guide hairs was to take the brush tool at a large size and low strength and push everything in a hair, so it mostly sat within the main layer

Settings:

Distribution Ammount 150
    Width Base .008
    Tip .001

Style
    Autoparting 140.4

Clump
    Clump1 Strength .72
    Bias .44
    Amount .1

Tweak
    Max length 31.3
    Reduce length 6.3
    Scragle1
    Clump Curves 1
    Strength 1.8
    Frequency .3
    Scraggle2
    Before Clump1
    Strength 1.84
    Frequency 1.16

Once again these settings are not the be all and end all. The key is that they are thin and go away quickly the max length setting is the most important here.

Strand Layer

This is the layer that provides most of the visual interest. It requires a bit of finagling. Once again, it started as a duplicate of the base layer, but, as you might guess looking at the images below it uses a different distribution map. The good news is its the worlds easiest map to paint: you just make a new map and paint some largeish dots and check back on the original maps to make sure all the dots are within the same area.
    The next step is the most tedious. In the Styling tab make both the hair and styling curves visible. Now you have to go through and select the style curves that match the clumps (selecting near the roots should make this not too difficult) and make sure they stay roughly together throughout the whole lock (manually clumping essentially). This creates locks of hair we have much greater control of if you want a piece of hair going to position x exactly you can do that, without having to worry about it pulling the the rest of the hair along for the ride. As this pain to explain without visuals, and probably worse to try to understand, I'm also posting a screenshot of the styling tab with a single lock selected.

Settings
    Distribution amount 200
    Width Base .01
    Tip .001

Style
    Auto Part Threshold 68.4

Clump
    Clump1 Strength .73
    Bias .94
    Amount 2.75

Tweak
    Random Length Max 3.3

Scraggle1
    Clump Curves 1
    Strength 1.24
    Frequency .48

Scraggle2
    Before Clump 1
    Strength 1.9
    Frequency 1,1

Once again the settings are not set in stone, beyond some degree of clumping, none here are necessary.

And Done! If you have any questions ask.

hairtut-edit.png
    1308 x 800 - 856K
    hairtut-base.png
    900 x 800 - 434K
    hairtut-fill.png
    900 x 800 - 398K
    hairtut-strands.png
    900 x 800 - 417K
    hairtut-all.png
    900 x 800 - 505K
    Post edited by j cade on
  • GoneGone Posts: 833
    edited December 1969

Interesting.

I would have guessed that the base used thicker hair strands - but that's where the "Random root" comes in. ;-)

I don't usually get locks like that when I up the root angle like that -- but then I usually have higher hair counts so that messes it up.

Going to have to keep this in mind next time I do dreads.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Thank you very, very much for taking the time to make this tutorial!

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,560
    edited April 2015

Kamion99 said:
    Okay here goes. I'm not the best at explaining so if something makes no sense ask me to explain it better.

The overall methodology: There are three layers but I do 90% of the styling on the base one. The other two are copies that I modify the slightly

Base Layer Settings:

Distribution amount: 75
    Width Base: .01
    Tip: .001

Auto Parting: 61.2

Clump1 Strength .95
    Bias: .97
    Amount .32

Tweak

Random Root
    Pitch .7
    roll .6
    yaw .8

Scraggle1
    Clump Curves 1
    strength 1.88
    Frequency .31

Scraggle2
    Before Clump 1
    Strength 1.7
    frequency 1.02

Frizz
    Base .19
    tip .06

Obviously you don't have to use these settings exactly the key one is the clumping this is what makes the hair look like locks of hair rather than a solid mass. Unfortunately it does have the side effect of making the hair near the scalp look terrible which is why I gave the fill layer.

Fill layer:
    As the name suggests this layer's purpose was to fill in the areas left blank by the clumping of the main layer. The only editing I did in terms of moving the guide hairs was to take the brush tool at a large size and low strength and push everything in a hair, so it mostly sat within the main layer

Settings:

Distribution Ammount 150
    Width Base .008
    Tip .001

Style
    Autoparting 140.4

Clump
    Clump1 Strength .72
    Bias .44
    Amount .1

Tweak
    Max length 31.3
    Reduce length 6.3
    Scragle1
    Clump Curves 1
    Strength 1.8
    Frequency .3
    Scraggle2
    Before Clump1
    Strength 1.84
    Frequency 1.16

Once again these settings are not the be all and end all. The key is that they are thin and go away quickly the max length setting is the most important here.

Strand Layer

This is the layer that provides most of the visual interest. It requires a bit of finagling. Once again, it started as a duplicate of the base layer, but, as you might guess looking at the images below it uses a different distribution map. The good news is its the worlds easiest map to paint: you just make a new map and paint some largeish dots and check back on the original maps to make sure all the dots are within the same area.
    The next step is the most tedious. In the Styling tab make both the hair and styling curves visible. Now you have to go through and select the style curves that match the clumps (selecting near the roots should make this not too difficult) and make sure they stay roughly together throughout the whole lock (manually clumping essentially). This creates locks of hair we have much greater control of if you want a piece of hair going to position x exactly you can do that, without having to worry about it pulling the the rest of the hair along for the ride. As this pain to explain without visuals, and probably worse to try to understand, I'm also posting a screenshot of the styling tab with a single lock selected.

Settings
    Distribution amount 200
    Width Base .01
    Tip .001

Style
    Auto Part Threshold 68.4

Clump
    Clump1 Strength .73
    Bias .94
    Amount 2.75

Tweak
    Random Length Max 3.3

Scraggle1
    Clump Curves 1
    Strength 1.24
    Frequency .48

Scraggle2
    Before Clump 1
    Strength 1.9
    Frequency 1,1

Once again the settings are not set in stone, beyond some degree of clumping, none here are necessary.

And Done! If you have any questions ask.

...that looks really tight. Thanks for the settings.
    Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • Mustakettu85Mustakettu85 Posts: 2,933
    edited December 1969

Kamion99 said:

You are most welcome! And thank you very much for the curls tutorial!

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,885
    edited December 1969

Has anyone played with this in Iray much?

I've been using LAMH and having ok results, but I'm thinking I might want a more hair-specific product.

edited December 1969

Having some fun, a poodle tail :-)

Poodle_Tail.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 626K
    edited May 2015

Been toying wiht this one for a while. The hair on her head has two layers. The second is very subtle but its there. Her eyebrows were also done with Garibaldi Hair. I did not remove the painted on versions from the texture. I just added the GH brows to give added thickness.

First layer of hair has distribution set to 120 while the second layer is only set to 5. Seeding on both is different

I was very please at how well I could bounce back and forth between the GH window and drapping cloth, re-adjusting the character and updating that in the GH window and so on.

200_-_Elly.jpg
    720 x 1080 - 482K
    Post edited by Mattymanx on
  • GhostofMacbethGhostofMacbeth Posts: 1,540
    edited December 1969

I really need to play in Garabaldi more. Looks good and thanks for the tutorial.

edited December 1969

Mattymanx said:
    Been toying wiht this one for a while. The hair on her head has two layers. The second is very subtle but its there. Her eyebrows were also done with Garibaldi Hair. I did not remove the painted on versions from the texture. I just added the GH brows to give added thickness.

First layer of hair has distribution set to 120 while the second layer is only set to 5. Seeding on both is different

I was very please at how well I could bounce back and forth between the GH window and drapping cloth, re-adjusting the character and updating that in the GH window and so on.

Lovely drape on the hair!

edited December 1969

Mattymanx said:

Lovely drape on the hair!

Thank you

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,885
    edited December 1969

Does Garibaldi have a draping function that has collision?

edited December 1969

There is some basic collision detection that makes it difficult (but not impossible) to comb hair into the mesh.

Some nice work showing up here - it's almost as if this thread was coming alive. :lol:

• LpProjectLpProject Posts: 41
    edited December 1969

Hi,my name is Arman, and now I worked one maxwell render plugin for daz studio. I want integrate garibaldi hair to maxwell.
    Is there any documentation how can i do it?

edited December 1969

LpProject said:
    Hi,my name is Arman, and now I worked one maxwell render plugin for daz studio. I want integrate garibaldi hair to maxwell.
    Is there any documentation how can i do it?

Garibaldi Hair uses RiCurves to create the hair.

Check out the online documetation for Maxwell Render here - http://support.nextlimit.com/display/mxdocsv3/Maxwell+Render+V3+Documentation

Please see Pixar's website for the RiSpec documentation - http://renderman.pixar.com/view/rispec/

• LpProjectLpProject Posts: 41
    edited December 1969

Thanks for reply, but i know about those documentations.
    English is not my natvie, I explain my question very bad.
    How garibaldi store in itself info about hairs.

I wrote this question to futurebiscuit(author of garibaldi) and silent, no answer.
    Same to Alessandro_AM ( for LAMH integration ): silent, no answer.

edited December 1969

LpProject said:
    Thanks for reply, but i know about those documentations.
    English is not my natvie, I explain my question very bad.
    How garibaldi store in itself info about hairs.

I wrote this question to futurebiscuit(author of garibaldi) and silent, no answer.
    Same to Alessandro_AM ( for LAMH integration ): silent, no answer.

Well, I rather doubt that that's the type of information most people would just publish into the wilderness ... it might help if you wrote the questions to the companies [both have websites] and also in the language you speak, possibly giving a little more information to them about exactly what it is you're trying to do.

• kathrynlochkathrynloch Posts: 378
    edited December 1969

Hi everyone,

Please forgive me for asking this but I've read through half of this thread and my brain is about ready to explode. No doubt my question is answered in the half I haven't been able to read. But I've been trying to compare the two hair systems that DAZ has in the marketplace and after a couple of hours of searching I'm not really closer to the answer - except that I'm thinking the Garibaldi might be closer to what I'm looking for.

I'm a newbie to DAZ but I paint lots of hair in Photoshop. I've spent a ton of time on customizing my brushes to get the fur and hair just right. It all started when I needed to make a model with black hair blond for a book cover - standard color adjustments just didn't work, so I was determined to learn how to paint it. Well, I've got a good start, and now I want to bring DAZ into my book cover work flow but I'm not certain if I'd be better off just leaving the hair at the default on the models and then finishing it with my brushes as postwork in Photoshop.

In the Garibaldi system I'm gathering that you paint it and use layers but I don't know if that's similar to what I know from Photoshop at all. I've attached a little collage of some of the hair I've done in photoshop so you guys can get an idea of what I'm looking for. The first series of images are all photomaniuplations and all the same original image. This was what I did to get a handle on painting hair. lol! But I also included a horse from DAZ Horse 2 Pro bundle. I didn't apply a texture to the model in DAZ, I used to photoshop bridge and painted the fur directly on the horse. The black and white horse is another one that I spent a long time on getting the brushes just right. I also threw in a couple of fur belt pouches that I made.

That's the kind of work I'd like to do in DAZ but I have no idea where to start. What would be really cool is if I could import my photoshop brushes into DAZ and go from there but that's probably a bit much to ask. ;-)

I was also wondering about this plug in because 4.8 isn't in Beta anymore, it's now available for download and I upgraded my 4.7 and started experimenting with the lray rendering. I saw where people said they're using 1.1 of Garibaldi where only 1.0 is offered in the store. Right now the discount is 49%. Is the plug in being maintained and upgraded?

When I looked at the other hair system it appeared to be more like the hair system in Maya. I dabbled with that program a little bit but I'm was definitely in over my head which is one reason why I'm liking DAZ - I have a learning curve but DAZ didn't smack me in the teeth like Maya did. :cheese:

So if anyone could point me in the right direction and give me a shove, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Cheers,
    Kathryn

fur.jpg
    678 x 1005 - 502K
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,655
    edited December 1969

In PS you are painting the final look of the hair, in Garibaldi (and Look at My Hair) you are painting the areas of the mesh to show where the hair will grow, then using other tools to style the curves that are produced. There may well be some overlap in skills - if nothing else, you have developed a good eye for what you want - but the workflow is going to be markedly different.

• kathrynlochkathrynloch Posts: 378
    edited December 1969

In PS you are painting the final look of the hair, in Garibaldi (and Look at My Hair) you are painting the areas of the mesh to show where the hair will grow, then using other tools to style the curves that are produced. There may well be some overlap in skills - if nothing else, you have developed a good eye for what you want - but the workflow is going to be markedly different.

Thank you very much, Richard! I had a feeling that might be the case from what I've read thus far. I appreciate the information.

I must say from the renders I've seen in this thread I'm leaning toward giving Garibaldi a shot, my only concern is lray and maintenance/upgrade status of the plug-in.

Thanks again for the response.

Cheers,
    Kathryn

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,655
    edited December 1969

Thank you very much, Richard! I had a feeling that might be the case from what I've read thus far. I appreciate the information.

I must say from the renders I've seen in this thread I'm leaning toward giving Garibaldi a shot, my only concern is lray and maintenance/upgrade status of the plug-in.

Thanks again for the response.

Cheers,
    Kathryn

For Iray you would have to export the hair as OBJ - especially with fine hair that is going to make a very large mesh, though to compensate it shouldn't use much memory for texturing.

• savannasavanna Posts: 31
    edited December 1969

Hello.
    I Install today Garibaldi Express.
    Have testet in DAZ Studio but i dont have Textures :(
    Where i find the Textures?
    Where must i install the Freebie?

http://www.garibaldiexpress.com/downloads.html

Please Help me, i dont have a idea.
    Thank you. Germans can answer me too, i self a german.
    My english is not the best. I´m Sorry :)

edited December 1969

While Garibaldi can use textures - it doesn't require them.

Generally, you set the base/tip hair colour in the distribution pane of the editor. The colour can be further modified in the surfaces pane in DS.

Free presets can be installed anywhere as long as the folder is listed in the locations for DS folders in DS preferences. The simplest thing to do is create a folder (say "Garibaldi hair") under your DS content folder (usually "My Library" if you have a default install). The new folder will be visible in the "Content Library" pane.