Joan 9

sidsid Posts: 396
edited March 2023 in The Commons

https://www.daz3d.com/joan-9-hd

I kinda dig her thousand-yard, slightly crossed-eyed stare.

Picked her up with 2xPixie pose sets and the Daz+ monthly voucher and everything came to just over $26. Bundles didn't have anything for me personally, they seemed a bit small, but I imagine a lot of work goes into the armour.

Keen for some asian core gen9 characters next up, please Daz.

Post edited by sid on

Comments

• I like the character. A bit rough on the masculine side, but that's OK being a medieval warrior. I liked the mixed morph with Angela and Minerva shown. As for a modern approach I had to dial in the feminine head morph right to the top getting this result.

I'm probably wrong, but I feel a Feng vibe with this one.

• MimicMollyMimicMolly Posts: 2,113
    I'm partially glad there's no mega bundle. Can't bring myself to buy the Gala Bob Hair. So the Legacy Bundle and The Defender Outfit are sitting in my cart right now.
  • lsoulrtlsoulrt Posts: 13

sid said:

https://www.daz3d.com/joan-9-hd

I kinda dig her thousand-yard, slightly crossed-eyed stare.

Picked her up with 2xPixie pose sets and the Daz+ monthly voucher and everything came to just over $26. Bundles didn't have anything for me personally, they seemed a bit small, but I imagine a lot of work goes into the armour.

First, I want to say nice picture, but this character looks generic and half assed (pardon my language),but it looks like it has no pizzazz and no soul, like it's was really really rushed so they can pushed it out to make a buck. 

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,552

She looks quality, but doesn't really do anything for me either. I do like the addons for the horse though and the Gala Bob Hair. I only purchase characters to have features to add to the gene pool when I make my own characters and never use them as is, but she doesn't have many distinctive features and the skin doesn't really stand out in any of the promo renders. I have yet to see any PA characters who skin looks better than what the V9 skin looks like,

• DripDrip Posts: 1,133
    edited March 2023

MimicMolly said:

I'm partially glad there's no mega bundle. Can't bring myself to buy the Gala Bob Hair. So the Legacy Bundle and The Defender Outfit are sitting in my cart right now.

Yes, it's probably safer not to do any calculations over these prices.

Okay, I did...

2 Joan Bundles + Mad King bundle: $59.32
    2 Joan Bundles + Mad King Bundle + Horse Armor addon: $62.70
    2 Joan Bundles: $58.10
    2 Joan Bundles + Horse Armor add-on: $68.44
    1 Joan Bundle + missing parts from the other bundle: $49.92
    1 Joan Bundle + missing parts from the other bundle + Horse Armor add-on: $60.26
    Buy all parts of the Joan bundles seperately (no add-on): $55.94
    All parts of Joan bundles seperately + Horse Armor add-on: $67.43

The prices jump up and down, so it's probably a good idea to decide what you REALLY want. If there's something you really don't want/need, then there's basically no point purchasing it to bring down the price of other things. The combinations all hover roughly between $50 and $70. But I do think it's funny how breaking up one bundle when you only want the Joan bundles, or even just 1 part of those bundles, ends up a lot cheaper.

This does make me kinda miss the old-style Genesis 3 pro-bundles with 9 to 11 parts in them. Those generally made me count the amount of pieces I had no interest in, if there were 3 pieces I could not use, the bundle as a whole was generally still worth it. At 4 or more uninteresting pieces, I'd start considering buying only parts, or the starter bundle (unless most of those 4+ pieces were part of the starter bundle as well).

EDIT: Prices have been fixed to now correctly include the Daz+ discount on the bundles, so the price breakdown above is no longer applicable. Breaking up one of the two Joan bundles when buying both of them (without the Mad King bundle) still slightly edges out on buying the two bundles as-is, but the difference is just about $1 now. So experiment for yourself to see what's best (it might be worth it if you go for the V4/M4 discounts), or don't if it's too much of a hassle for the difference.

Post edited by Drip on
  • LeanaLeana Posts: 11,018
    edited March 2023

Be careful, if you're a Daz+ member the prices of the bundles and some of the add-ons are not right for the moment as the Daz Originals discount is missing on some of the items.
    It has been corrected for some but not all of them yet (eg the Joan bundles don't get it yet while their components do)

I quite like Joan. I love the defender outfit, as well as the royal outfit.

Not completely convinced by the breast plate of the Swords Legacy Outfit, and the high heels are a big nope in my book, but I quite like some of the other pieces.

Post edited by Leana on
  • MelissaGTMelissaGT Posts: 2,609

Leana said:

Be careful, if you're a Daz+ member the prices of the bundles and some of the add-ons are not right for the moment as the Daz Originals discount is missing on some of the items.
    It has been corrected for some but not all of them yet (eg the Joan bundles don't get it yet while their components do)

Not completely convinced by the breast plate of the Swords Legacy Outfit, and the high heels are a big nope in my book, but I quite like some of the other pieces.

Good to know as I was in the process of checking out and couldn't figure out why the bundle was 55% off while the components separately were 68% off. I'll wait on buying then.  

• DripDrip Posts: 1,133

Leana said:

Ah, that explains, and it was in plain sight all the time with those lower discount percentages. Seems fixed now.
    Breaking up one out of the two Joan bundles still seems to slightly edge out when buying the two Joan bundles, but the difference is just about $1 now. Will edit my previous post, though I might just delete the breakdown, lol.

• Character looks ok, but the defender armor is interesting. Probably as good as plate harness is going to be for G9. Could use a helmet, but I got enough helmets to slap on this one.

• mwokeemwokee Posts: 1,275
    There are plenty of pretty white girls that are just as good already in the store. The plastic blue vinyl tablecloth outfit as seen in the OP just makes me wish PAs would focus on realistic textures for clothes and props.
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,559

I am going to buy her stuff, but Joan herself doesn't do anything for me. I also am limiting myself to as few gen 9 females as possible, I don't want the extra morphs, correctives and stuff causing g9 to lag.

I wish the promos showed some of the outfits fitted on men, I can use more armor but not if the breast area is profoundly female-appearing.

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,735

Not my thing but I do like the two hairs which are for G8 too. Except for Victoria (and Mousso characters), there really haven't been any beautiful characters for G9 yet. 

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,552

Wonderland said:

Not my thing but I do like the two hairs which are for G8 too. Except for Victoria (and Mousso characters), there really haven't been any beautiful characters for G9 yet. 

My thoughts also. Still waiting for a skin texture that will blow me away!

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,018

Drip said:

Leana said:

Ah, that explains, and it was in plain sight all the time with those lower discount percentages. Seems fixed now.
    Breaking up one out of the two Joan bundles still seems to slightly edge out when buying the two Joan bundles, but the difference is just about $1 now. Will edit my previous post, though I might just delete the breakdown, lol.

Missing Daz Originals discounts seem to have been corrected now.

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,677

Her skin and features look good, but the eye bags cause me to wish for a maid of Orleans-aged woman, what with the name "Joan," and medieval armour. I, unlike many posters on these forums, need MORE young white women, not less. Still, as far as Genesis 9 Core Figures go, it appears diversity is for large corporations that can afford to go broke, not smaller companies in small industries.

• maraichmaraich Posts: 489

Can anyone pinpoint which hair this is?

Hair Sample.jpg
    500 x 500 - 42K
  • maikdeckermaikdecker Posts: 2,750

Not Joan of Arc, but maybe Joan's mother.... wink

• Kind of mature look for someone who was about seventeen, even for a Medieval woman. laugh

People used to be rather healthy back then, provided they made it past their childhood.

• tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,342

Maybe she's meant to be rather tired than old? I'm finding I kind of like her, after skipping past the initial promos that were on the front page. She looks like a normal person, somehow. Oh, and I'm very much liking the Joanie hair, simple and soft, very Waterhouse-y in my view. Got this together with the new horse armor and saddle etc,that looks to be much more content for less money than the previous horse 3 'outfits'. Also, fjaad! I've really gotten into this vendor. Great quality, low file size.

• maraichmaraich Posts: 489

xyer0 said:

maraich said:

Can anyone pinpoint which hair this is?

https://www.daz3d.com/marty-mane-hair-for-genesis-8-male-and-genesis-9 

Thanks a bunch! I suspected I owned it (and I do), but couldn't figure out which one it was.

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,735
    edited March 2023

maikdecker said:

It seems like most of the DAZ O G9's are characters over 40 yet so many bikinis and lingerie for her to wear. I'm all for wearing that if you still look good but we need more characters in their 20's! I'm still not sold on G9 for glamour anyway with all the new makeup problems and still don't see the advantage over G8 but they need more characters for all the sexier clothes. Of course I have enough morphs to do it myself but it's nice to have some decent bases to work from, not to mention good skins. And they already have Freja. How many middle aged warrior females do people need? 

Post edited by Wonderland on

Wonderland said:

maikdecker said:

... we need more characters in their 20's! I'm still not sold on G9 for glamour anyway with all the new makeup problems and still don't see the advantage over G8 but they need more characters for all the sexier clothes. ... How many middle aged warrior females do people need? 

A woman after my own heart. 

• TimbalesTimbales Posts: 2,246

I am going to buy her stuff, but Joan herself doesn't do anything for me. I also am limiting myself to as few gen 9 females as possible, I don't want the extra morphs, correctives and stuff causing g9 to lag.

I wish the promos showed some of the outfits fitted on men, I can use more armor but not if the breast area is profoundly female-appearing.

I'm guessing the chest would have the same odd creases G9 usually gets when you dial in the male shapes.
  • PixelSploitingPixelSploiting Posts: 872
    edited March 2023

Wonderland said:

maikdecker said:

It seems like most of the DAZ O G9's are characters over 40 yet so many bikinis and lingerie for her to wear. I'm all for wearing that if you still look good but we need more characters in their 20's! I'm still not sold on G9 for glamour anyway with all the new makeup problems and still don't see the advantage over G8 but they need more characters for all the sexier clothes. Of course I have enough morphs to do it myself but it's nice to have some decent bases to work from, not to mention good skins. And they already have Freja. How many middle aged warrior females do people need? 

I find it funny because real Jeanne was 17-18 years old from a rich land owning peasant family. The kind of "peasants" who are not noble, but they have their own tenants and only pay rent to the lord. She'd probably look as good as you could back then.  Mila Jovovich and Lelee Sobiesky weren't very off as casting choices for her.

Edit:

Speaking off... Is there any model for G3-G8 reasonably similar to Lelee Sobiesky? 

Post edited by PixelSploiting on
  • sidsid Posts: 396

To me she doesn't look that old, but nor does she look like a teenager. Had a bit of a play with other skins to see what she adds to the pool. Imgur hosting

Default HD load:

Joan's HD shape, Vicky's default mats:

Joan's HD shape, Josie''s default mats:

Joan's HD, Minerva default mats:

Bends:

With Michael and his freak arm:

• BarubaryBarubary Posts: 1,201
    edited March 2023

I dunno, the character looks a little too bland to add anything to Genesis 9. I do think there is room for more unremarkable characters like this, maybe, like, a year from now, but with a new figure, I would think you should try to give it as much diversity as possible. I do think the new Freja looked bad, but at least she added something.

Selling a middle-aged, completely average white women with no visible muscle definition as a Joan-of-Arc-like female knight really misses the mark for me. 

Post edited by Barubary on
  • sidsid Posts: 396

PixelSploiting said:

Edit:

Speaking off... Is there any model for G3-G8 reasonably similar to Lelee Sobiesky? 

She brings to mind some of HID's ladies: https://www.daz3d.com/hid3d

• AlmightyQUESTAlmightyQUEST Posts: 1,960

I appreciate that there are both complaints about her being too muscular, and also not having enough muscular definition.

Anyway, definitely looks older than Joan of Arc ever was, she doesn't look too much older than Renee Falconetti in 1928, and I'm not ready to see people saying she looks *old* lol.

I would also be interested in seeing the armor on a G9 with a more masculine body type. I suspect one would work decently and one might have a lot of texture distortion, but it's hard to know. I think it's a missed opportunity to not have more promos showing this for DAZ Originals.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,121

sid said:

To me she doesn't look that old, but nor does she look like a teenager.

I think she works as a 15th century teenage peasant warrior.