Joan 9

Comments

• caravellecaravelle Posts: 2,306

Gordig said:

caravelle said:

The historical Joan of Arc left her childhood home at the end of 1428, during the Hundred Years War, at the age of sixteen, to free France from the English. So it would be only five years separating her from Joan 9. 

But she was executed at 19, narrowing the gap quite a bit.

Right yes

• Richard Haseltine said:

The inner elbow, imevitably, gets squeezed (I'd guess that there would be limited movement theer in reality) and the rivet is gettign stretched (in a very crude pose - I just moved the hand in the geneal direction of the sword with the Universal Tool - there is some intersection between the upper arms and the shoulder plates as a result).

Very much a standard problem with 3d armor. I suppose it'd need JCMs there, but that gets fairly complex on multilayered outfits like this one.

Unfortunately the only way of making truly realistic plate harness model would be to either have separate rig for the armor copying pose of a character wearing it, or everything would be rigid parented props. Or to build all the possible corrective morphs for every part.

• MalandarMalandar Posts: 672

Richard Haseltine said:

The inner elbow, imevitably, gets squeezed (I'd guess that there would be limited movement theer in reality) and the rivet is gettign stretched (in a very crude pose - I just moved the hand in the geneal direction of the sword with the Universal Tool - there is some intersection between the upper arms and the shoulder plates as a result).

I'll have to pass on this one. I can't stop metal plates from deforming, so not gonna try. Thanks for taking the time to show me what it looks like though.

Full plate armor is not as clumsy or binding as people think. Not sure if yall will get irritated if I post a youtube link, so I'll just say this look at the top two videos when you search for full plate armor mobility.

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,723

@Malandar, I did the search on 'full plate armor mobility' and fell into the rabbit hole and have a lot of watching ahead of me. Thank you sincerely. 

I can now see why a knight had a squire to help put his armor on, even before it was 'plate' style. The weight alone would be incredible to lift and hold up while it was tied into place.

Mary

• PixelSploitingPixelSploiting Posts: 872
    edited March 2023

It's not as much weight because separate pieces aren't that heavy. Except good luck getting a proper fit or putting it on in a reasonable amount of time.

I mean, with a plate.

A chain hauberk that goes down to the knees and has full leng sleeves with built in mittens... Having to put it on with no help could turn interesting.

Post edited by PixelSploiting on

@PixelSploiting, look at the one on Dressing a Teutonic Knight of the 13th C. It left me wondering if it would ever be possible to be reproduced in D|S. The layers, ties, belts, and more ties anchoring the pieces together. 

• I don't think it'd be easy to dForce chainmail and it'd need physics simulation to look right. IMO it's too many layers for Daz Studio.

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,250
    edited March 2023

Well, I now see that the lack of curvyness which has been mentioned here is finally explained. The lady's alter ego is an Elf.

And the long hair with side braids which has been showing up in promos has been released as well. It was pretty obviously one of AprilYSH's, but I was pretty sure that it wasn't one of the ones that I knew. Glad to have it available.

Arki's new outfit is lovely. But then, hers usually are. I'm a bit surprised ar just how small the file size of some of the new clothing releasesfor G9 are. Particularly compared to similar things for G8. Admittedly, my Hard Drive space appreciates it. But it seems really surprisingly small.

Post edited by JOdel on
  • The sales promo page images of Joan today show what a superb model G9 can be in portraits. They are really impressive.

Regards,

Richard

• sidsid Posts: 392

Same very quick, not very well lined up, comparisions.

The skin looks like the same underlying photo reference with some comestic touch ups, but does provide some points of difference.

joanTwin.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 1M
    joanTwin2.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 3M
    joanTwin3.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 3M

As I reviewed the promos my breath was taken away by Arki's Lady of Fate Outfit which I think is possibly the best one done for a Fae. And then I scrolled down to the texture add-on by Shox-Design and I just had my joy doubled. I thank both artists for their hard work to bring us this remarkable ourfit for the ages.

Mary

• caravellecaravelle Posts: 2,306

memcneil70 said:

As I reviewed the promos my breath was taken away by Arki's Lady of Fate Outfit which I think is possibly the best one done for a Fae. And then I scrolled down to the texture add-on by Shox-Design and I just had my joy doubled. I thank both artists for their hard work to bring us this remarkable ourfit for the ages.

Mary

+1! yes

• lsoulrtlsoulrt Posts: 13

sid said:

Same very quick, not very well lined up, comparisions.

The skin looks like the same underlying photo reference with some comestic touch ups, but does provide some points of difference.

First I want to say nice picture, but this character is still rushed, lazy and generic. It is like they decided hey do you know what would sell more of are new core character elf ears and let's make it into a bundle that cost $ 106.00 for a handful of items that do not look impressive.

Okay, the price on the bundle, right now I have applied 8 tokens and I have the banner discount for owning Joan 9 HD and one of her bundles and I am a DAZ+ member, and have waaay more than one new item in my cart. The price of that bundle is now $14.15, or 87% off.

My struggle now is winnowing out which older items I don't need today and take out of the cart. I tried and then added more back in. Hopeless.

• Let there be light. A bit blown up, but it maybe helps with the comparison.I think they both look great. .

• ioonrxoonioonrxoon Posts: 886

@JOdel The hair's nothing new, it was already released for 8/8.1 in the Elven bundles.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,009

caravelle said:

memcneil70 said:

Mary

+1! yes

Same. I love that dress and the texture add-on

• lou_harperlou_harper Posts: 1,051

memcneil70 said:

Mary

Agreed. It's a great looking outfit, with beautiful textures. I'm sorely tempted, eventhough I don't do high fantasy.

@lou_harper, the other side of the coin is high fantasy can be 'Halloween' or 'Sci-Fi' or an outfit for a Comic Con. The elements in the dress and cape are versatile. 

• memcneil70 said:

Mary

We are very happy about this compliment!

• tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,339

ShoxDesign said:

memcneil70 said:

Mary

Here's one more person absolutely amazed by that outfit and the extra textures, am going to buy both today. I don't usually buy texture sets, but these ... they're just so gorgeous. Thanks from me too, both artists! 

• ShoxDesign said:

memcneil70 said:

Mary

It is gorgeous. I've already bought it and have something in mind to do with it that I hope will do it justice.

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,677

ShoxDesign has been killing it for years! Her textures have been the sole reason I bought several outfits. Do yourself a favour, and check out her store.

• ExpozuresExpozures Posts: 216
    edited March 2023

My rendition of Joan (Elf add-on) along with Casey.

fpuqr5cf0aoa1.jpg
    3840 x 2160 - 907K
    Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • GoggerGogger Posts: 2,303

Expozures said:

NICE! I really like your camera work here! (P.S. I don't hand out praise like this lightly, or freely. ;) )
  • nelsonsmithnelsonsmith Posts: 1,322
    edited March 2023

Post edited by nelsonsmith on
  • nelsonsmithnelsonsmith Posts: 1,322
    edited March 2023

xyer0 said:

Her skin and features look good, but the eye bags cause me to wish for a maid of Orleans-aged woman, what with the name "Joan," and medieval armour. I, unlike many posters on these forums, need MORE young white women, not less. Still, as far as Genesis 9 Core Figures go, it appears diversity is for large corporations that can afford to go broke, not smaller companies in small industries.

There was a time not so long ago when ALL Daz featured were young white women that all looked like playboy models.  If you were an artist trying to do realistic artworks in different genres and not simply pinups you weren't doing it with Daz assets unless you learned to model,or  became an expert at morphing . We couldn't get mature women, we couldn't get pre-teens or children and forget about ethnic women.  No wonder a lot of people never considered Daz a "professional" tool.  Daz is definitely a much more versatile tool today than it was a few years ago for both the hobbyist and the serious artist.

Now if PA's would stop putting stupid heels on armor that would actually be progressive.

Post edited by nelsonsmith on
  • xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,677

nelsonsmith said:

xyer0 said:

Her skin and features look good, but the eye bags cause me to wish for a maid of Orleans-aged woman, what with the name "Joan," and medieval armour. I, unlike many posters on these forums, need MORE young white women, not less. Still, as far as Genesis 9 Core Figures go, it appears diversity is for large corporations that can afford to go broke, not smaller companies in small industries.

There was a time not so long ago when ALL Daz featured were young white women that all looked like playboy models.  If you were an artist trying to do realistic artworks in different genres and not simply pinups you weren't doing it with Daz assets unless you learned to model,or  became an expert at morphing . We couldn't get mature women, we couldn't get pre-teens or children and forget about ethnic women.  No wonder a lot of people never considered Daz a "professional" tool.  Daz is definitely a much more versatile tool today than it was a few years ago for both the hobbyist and the serious artist.

Now if PA's would stop putting stupid heels on armor that would actually be progressive.

I remember those days, and it was frustrating. I was very pleased to get the smorgasbord of ethnicities and ages in Genesis 8/8.1. However, I'd been hoping to switch my main character from 8.1 to 9, and I needed a realistic, detailed, young (no crow's feet, eye bags, nasolabial creases, forehead lines) white female skin sans freckles in order to do so; Josie and Freja didn't work out for me. Since the post you quoted, I've abandoned the idea of switching since there are so many add-ons that haven't been released for Genesis 9, and this story has taken too long to finish already.

I remember when some PA's would add heel morphs to footwear. 

• ExpozuresExpozures Posts: 216

Gogger said:

Expozures said:

NICE! I really like your camera work here! (P.S. I don't hand out praise like this lightly, or freely. ;) )

Aww!  Shucks!  Thanks. :)

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838

nelsonsmith said:

xyer0 said:

There was a time not so long ago when ALL Daz featured were young white women that all looked like playboy models.

You mean the dark days before Michael 1 was released?