Garibaldi Express: Hair and Fur Plugin [Commercial]

Comments

• GoneGone Posts: 833
    edited December 1969

Decided to take a break from the usual stuff and revisit the cat lady.

I don't do a lot of furring so I had a feeling there were some tricks I was missing in the process ( there were :-) )

Anyway, this gal has about half the generated hairs as the previous one in spite of having a tail and head hair added.

CatLady.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 322K
  • krickerdkrickerd Posts: 184
    edited December 1969

Nice job on that fur and scene with grass and all.

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited December 1969

Whats the recommended method if you want to have hair plus arm hiar for more realism but you dont want them behaving the same way?

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Mattymanx said:
    Whats the recommended method if you want to have hair plus arm hiar for more realism but you dont want them behaving the same way?

Two separate 'hairs'...paint the control maps for one, then the other.

edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    Mattymanx said:

Two separate 'hairs'...paint the control maps for one, then the other.

What he said. :-)

The girl above has 6 hair nodes. It could have been done with as little as 2 - if I wanted to drive myself crazy - but the head and eyebrows are presets I made over a year ago and served well enough.

There are 2 hair nodes on the body - one for the main hair and one for the chest, hands and feet. They could have been done as a single node but I had originally used different hair base/tip thickness for the 2. In the end they have the same thickness but different amounts and lengths.

The tail, of course, is a separate object.

edited December 1969

Thanks guys. I will play with that later

edited December 1969

I cannot remember - how do I get the surface tab settings to override the color settings in teh GH window?

edited December 1969

TRT is the general shine of the hair.

The colour in the TRT section is blended with the editor colour. The closer the blend setting is to 0 the stronger the TRT colour is.

This works as long as you aren't using a texture to drive the editor colour.

edited December 1969

ah, thank you very much Gone. I thought it was glitched.

• evilded777evilded777 Posts: 2,440
    edited December 1969

I own both of the hair plugins and I have never really had success with either of them (definetely blame myself).

I seem to recall having stability issues with both, but... I'd really like to get to using one or both of them.

Can anyone point me to any solid tutorials for Garibaldi? Start to finish sort of things not tool demos. I'd appreciate it, thanks,

edited December 1969

Not sure if this will help - but on page 72 of this thread I did a workflow tutorial on how I furred the milcat.

• evilded777evilded777 Posts: 2,440
    edited December 1969

Gone said:
    Not sure if this will help - but on page 72 of this thread I did a workflow tutorial on how I furred the milcat.

Thanks, Gone, that does look like it might be very helpful indeed. I could really use a break from skin shaders and HDRI lighting, so I now have a project for the weekend,

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,560
    edited April 2015

...OK launched my Merida Hair Project.

Saw the pics on earlier pages here and since I already built a version of her, it seems logical to try to build the hair as well.

Able to get the fullness, but need to figure out how to get that "springy" curl for the strands and make the back (outer) strands longer.

Is it possible to do this in "layers"?

Attached: Merida character using premade hair content.

merida_new_test.png
    900 x 900 - 1M
    Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...OK launched my Merida Hair Project.

Saw the pics on earlier pages here and since I already built a version of her, it seems logical to try to build the hair as well.

Able to get the fullness, but need to figure out how to get that "springy" curl for the strands and make the back (outer) strands longer.

Is it possible to do this in "layers"?

Attached: Merida character using premade hair content.

Actually, it probably would be easier in layers. Trying to style two different lengths on the same 'layer' is a bit more than a pain in the posterior.

edited April 2015

...are there any tutorials on doing this?

I do have pre production images/videos from the the character's development, but their strand hair system was created exclusively for the character.

edited December 1969

This was my most recent attempt at Merida style hair a couple of months ago. I used 3 layers - short tight curls, long loose curls, and long tight curls.

In order to get long tight curls, you need to reduce the seg length - otherwise you just get long loose curls :-).

To get a closer approximation, you would probably need to add at least one mid length layer. It is certainly possible to get a lot of volume for the hair, but I don't think you can get the bouncy springy feel. At least I haven't been able to get a springy feel that I was satisfied with.

MeridaArchery.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 385K
    edited April 2015

...looks much better than my first test from last night. I increased the thickness to the strands a bit on a second test and it did look better.

Thanks for the tip on the segment length.

Yeah Ithink Ireally have my work cut otu for me with this one. Did the same thing with my first Iray scene (a very complex one with all sorts of surfaces to deal with. One of those types who has to dive in head first instead of just dipping a toe in the water.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,885
    edited December 1969

You know, while I have LAMH... there are some very compelling bits of Garibaldi styling.

I assume you can export Garibaldi hair to Obj... do things like root/tip coloring carry over, or if I use it with Iray will I have to shade it myself completely?

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449
    edited December 1969

You know, while I have LAMH... there are some very compelling bits of Garibaldi styling.

I assume you can export Garibaldi hair to Obj... do things like root/tip coloring carry over, or if I use it with Iray will I have to shade it myself completely?

I haven't read the whole of this thread but in my experience, exporting to Obj does not carry over any of the detail. I can't speak for IRay but I have tried it with Luxrender (via Reality) and I had to colour it in the surfaces tab. Also the fine detail, such as the narrowing of each hair to a fine tip, does not export to Obj. What you end up with is a wig made of wire strands - not very convincing.

• j cadej cade Posts: 2,310
    edited December 1969

How's this for Merida-esque hair. Technically it's 3 layers, but both are heavily based on the original. so it actually wasn't hard to set up.

Now if only I could get it into Iray without exploding my computer.

meridahair_copy.png
    900 x 900 - 952K
    edited December 1969

...now that's more like the actual texture. Still need to be a bit "fuller" (see attachment). Which character/figure did you use as a base?

Yeah in Iray that would choke my system for sure. The thing is why even bother with a physically based render engine like Iray for 3D toon character? Considering that Pixar uses the professional version of Renderman, 3DL should work just fine.

Life_as_a_Princess.jpg
    1920 x 804 - 276K
    edited December 1969

marble said:

I haven't read the whole of this thread but in my experience, exporting to Obj does not carry over any of the detail. I can't speak for IRay but I have tried it with Luxrender (via Reality) and I had to colour it in the surfaces tab. Also the fine detail, such as the narrowing of each hair to a fine tip, does not export to Obj. What you end up with is a wig made of wire strands - not very convincing.

The only reason Garibaldi even does .obj export is because people were asking for it. It is an unsupported feature and does not carry any shader info with it.

However, you can choose your own level of detail on the export. Here are some untextured renders of a simple hair I did about a year and a half ago when the question was raised then. The exports were at 5%(16.8M), 20%(73.1M), and 50% (185M). You could choose 100% but I doubt you would have enough memory to hold such a massive object.

H00350.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 226K
    H00320.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 215K
    H00305.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 186K
    edited December 1969

Kamion99 said:
    How's this for Merida-esque hair. Technically it's 3 layers, but both are heavily based on the original. so it actually wasn't hard to set up.

Now if only I could get it into Iray without exploding my computer.

Looking good. Do you have any more Garibaldi hair renders to share?

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449
    edited December 1969

Gone said:
    The only reason Garibaldi even does .obj export is because people were asking for it. It is an unsupported feature and does not carry any shader info with it.

I wasn't complaining. Just saying that it didn't look great in Luxrender but, of course, that isn't surprising as it was designed for 3Delight

edited December 1969

Understood.

But, since the issue has been raised again, I thought I would try to clarify things.

edited December 1969

Gone said:
    This was my most recent attempt at Merida style hair a couple of months ago. I used 3 layers - short tight curls, long loose curls, and long tight curls.

In order to get long tight curls, you need to reduce the seg length - otherwise you just get long loose curls :-).

To get a closer approximation, you would probably need to add at least one mid length layer. It is certainly possible to get a lot of volume for the hair, but I don't think you can get the bouncy springy feel. At least I haven't been able to get a springy feel that I was satisfied with.

That looks great Gone.

Questoin, what outfit is she wearing?

edited December 1969

That's Future Wilderness from Luthbel.

edited December 1969

Ok, thanks Gone.

Thanks for your help btw. Im playing around with GH more, you've been a big help!

edited December 1969

Well, that's what the forums are for. :-)

.... and I really like Garibaldi. ;-)

edited April 2015

...same here.

stupid Magento mot allowing simple responses