DAZ Studio Pro BETA [Project Iradium] - version 4.8.0.9!

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Has ANYONE figured out what causes CUDA timeouts?

I keep hitting it in projects and flailing trying to get it to stop. :/

A quick guess would be driver problems...but, it seems to be OS related.

http://artificialflight.org/blog/2013/cycles-crash-cuda-tdr-error/ (Yeah, it's not Iray specific BUT it does explain some of the behavior of Windows in relation to GPU rendering.)

• ChuckdozerChuckdozer Posts: 453
    edited December 1969

Hello !
    Does anyone know what 'Render Quality' Iray settings are for ?
    From what I know, render quality settings are usually found in biased rendering engines (like DAZ Studio 3Delight, Poser FireFly etc) and allow the user to reduce the rendering times by making quality compromises and vice versa.
    On the other hand, unbiased renders like Iray (and LuxRender, Octane etc) don't have render quality settings, usually. They render endlessly, striving for 100% degree of convergence, when the absolute maximum quality is reached (but that would happen after an infinite timeframe). In practice, the rendering process will be stopped manually by the user when the image is sufficiently smooth and clear, or by setting a stop parameter: a maximum S/p , a maximum rendering time or a maximum degree of convergence (< 100%).
    So, when someone sets the Iray 'Render Quality' to 'enable', I presume a 'bias' is introduced then and the rendering engine becomes biased (to enable faster rendering, when the time factor is essential) ?!... Anyway, I've noticed that if 'Render Quality' is enabled, the default 'Quality' setting is '1'. But I've noticed also that the slider has not set a maximum value for this parameter. So how high can someone set this parameter and what impact does this have on the quality of the final image and the rendering times ?
    Thank you in advance !

I was having a very hard time getting an untextured shot of a dress to render long enough to not be noisy. I tried increasing min samples, max samples, and max time under progressive render settings. None helped. I dialed the render quality to 2 and it rendered a bit longer and looked twice as nice. Leaving the other Progressive Render settings at default, I dialed up the render quality to 10 and the image rendered beautifully. I would liken this to the Shading Rate in the 3Delight renderer, though in this case the higher the number the more refined the image.
  • KRISHANKOKRISHANKO Posts: 87
    edited April 2015

Go to Edit > Preferences > Content Library > Content Directory Manager and make sure your actual content locations are listed under both "DAZ Studio Formats" and "Poser Formats".

did that, no change. heres what im getting when i search anything

http://postimg.org/image/cy2n9flv9/

however, as i said, files are clearly there, and selectable (manually)

http://s9.postimg.org/qvdsdhdqn/image.png

should i redownload 4.8?

also, this affected 4.7 (which i also have) as well

Post edited by KRISHANKO on
  • linvanchenelinvanchene Posts: 1,325
    edited April 2015

Can some people who have more experience with Iray share what the current or future animation possibilities are?

I did try for example with animating sun / environment values in Iray but I was not able to make those changes "stick" to the DS timeline. Changing sun values at two different points in time seemed to change those settings for all points in time. No Iray specfic keyframes seem to have been placed.

- - -

Is it possible to animate Iray specific parameters and have those changes show up as keyframes in Keymate or Graphmate under TRSV?

Examples:

- animated sun position and environment settings

- animated values of render engine specific procedural shader generators

- animated light emitting surfaces that change colors in specific intervals etc

- basically being able to animate any Iray parameter that shows up in Iray specific tabs and settings

- - -

I noticed that in other render plugins a similar issue is that only 3Delight or native DS UI specific information can be displayed as keyMate and graphMate keyframes in the DS timeline.

Even when the render engine allows to animate render engine specific values the current DAZ Studio timelines are not displaying such keyframes with the current DS native and 3rd party plugin timelines.

Basically you can alter the values in the parameter settings of the render engine at two points in time but no keyframes show up for those parameters in the DS timeline.
    Those "hidden" keyframes only shop up after scenes are exported to the standalone application of the render engine

Is that issue similar with Iray?
    Has there allready a solution be found to display render engine specific keyframes in DS native or 3rd party timelines?

To phrase this a bit differently:

Is DAZ working on an improved DS timeline that offers a solution to display render engine specific keyframes not matter which render engine is used?

Post edited by linvanchene on
  • ChuckdozerChuckdozer Posts: 453
    edited December 1969

I know that you can create a new null in the scene where you want the sun to be (view through Perspective View to find position and then create new null, under options selecting "Copy Selected Viewport" or "Apply Selected Viewport Transforms"), then in the Render Settings: Environment tab you can designate that null as the "SS Sun Node". I imagine that you could create keyframes for this null that would effectively animate the sun. As for animating the other environment settings, I really have no idea. You can create an environment preset to save any environment you happen to set up which can be reapplied later with the simple double-click of an icon... not sure if these would record in a timeline like poses... but probably not.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

KRISHANKO said:
    Go to Edit > Preferences > Content Library > Content Directory Manager and make sure your actual content locations are listed under both "DAZ Studio Formats" and "Poser Formats".

should i redownload 4.8?

Okay, so the problem is the database. The actions you need are in the options menu for the Content Library (the rectangle with horizontal lines in the upper corner.

1) If you've made any custom categories, tags, or metadata, Content DB Maintenance > Export User Data.
    2) Content DB Maintenance > Reset Database
    3) Content DB Maintenance > Re-Import Metadata

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,885
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:

A quick guess would be driver problems...but, it seems to be OS related.

http://artificialflight.org/blog/2013/cycles-crash-cuda-tdr-error/ (Yeah, it's not Iray specific BUT it does explain some of the behavior of Windows in relation to GPU rendering.)

Thank you! That would make sense, given the problem (basically, certain things being really long computations)

• spacecat56spacecat56 Posts: 54
    edited December 1969

I see you got an earlier reply with a link that looks helpful. But I will mention this. I've had this problem occur a half-dozen times, always while rendering image sequences. On one system I am using GPU-only, and in that case it's a complete "hang" (if using CPU also the CPU keeps chugging away and will eventually finish the frame).

Usually it seems "random" but I had one frame where it seemed repeatable. I tried switching the Instancing Optimization from Memory to Speed, and the problem did not occur on the next attempt. Either that helps... or I have the seed of a "superstition"...

• spacecat56spacecat56 Posts: 54
    edited December 1969

And, BTW, the Instancing Optimization setting does not stick, which is fairly annoying... it resets to Memory every time I start DS. It really does save quite a bit of time (25% or so, IME) and I can't see any differences in the output and have not had a failure that seems related to it... it would be better if the setting would "stick" in the saved project....

edited December 1969

ACross mentioned speed elsethread, so I'm going to try that...

And it's done the trick. Huzzah!

I am very thankful for this forum. One of the most helpful, nice online communities I've been a part of.

• ZelrothZelroth Posts: 910
    edited December 1969

I had a weird experience with the beta the other night. I had set up a scene utilizing SS Marcoor Corridor 2 and Addon on. It rendered fine (if slow for me) using the iray. I added Daz Dragon 3 and switched to dlight(?) for a quick check of how it looked and basically got a white screen with a few shapes outlined in black, like the dragon's teeth. Tried with Iray and it worked. Halted the render, and added a spotlight, tried the dlight again, same white result. Went back to the iray and it said it went through the process, but the render screen never lost its checkmark pattern. I called it quit and haven't touched it again. and no, I didn't save the scene or take screen shots. I just thought I would mention this in case it is a problem for others.

• ZarconDeeGrissomZarconDeeGrissom Posts: 5,412
    edited December 1969

Zelroth said:
    I had a weird experience with the beta the other night. I had set up a scene utilizing SS Marcoor Corridor 2 and Addon on. It rendered fine (if slow for me) using the iray. I added Daz Dragon 3 and switched to dlight(?) for a quick check of how it looked and basically got a white screen with a few shapes outlined in black, like the dragon's teeth. Tried with Iray and it worked. Halted the render, and added a spotlight, tried the dlight again, same white result. Went back to the iray and it said it went through the process, but the render screen never lost its checkmark pattern. I called it quit and haven't touched it again. and no, I didn't save the scene or take screen shots. I just thought I would mention this in case it is a problem for others.
    I've had similar happen in 4.7 with 3delight. Flushing the shader cash (exiting Studio, and letting it completely shut down, then start Studio back up) tends to fix that.
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/720004/
    I did make a screen-cap, as I had no clue what was wrong. New version of Studio at the time, first render, etc.
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the info. I have used studio for a long time and this is the first time I have had it happen

• Mustakettu85Mustakettu85 Posts: 2,933
    edited December 1969

rbtwhiz said:

Yes, you could write your own pixel processing routines... or pass images to an image editing/ compositing application for automated processing (i.e. Photoshop Droplets)... along with a whole host of other things.

... Understand however, you can cause the processed image to be displayed via script, so it can still feel fairly seamless; keeping in mind, of course, that the script is post-processing the image - and so cannot show updates as the render resolves.

Thank you very much for explaining! My head is reeling with the possibilities. There will be an example script published, right?

edited December 1969

Zelroth said:
    I had a weird experience with the beta the other night. I had set up a scene utilizing SS Marcoor Corridor 2 and Addon on. It rendered fine (if slow for me) using the iray. I added Daz Dragon 3 and switched to dlight(?) for a quick check of how it looked and basically got a white screen with a few shapes outlined in black, like the dragon's teeth. Tried with Iray and it worked. Halted the render, and added a spotlight, tried the dlight again, same white result.

It's 3Delight. And basically, switching render engines mid-scene doesn't seem to play nice.

Moreover, you can't really use one to preview the other. They will call different shaders with different settings, so a scene set up for Iray will render weird in 3Delight, and quite often the other way around.

Generally, Iray will give you a clear enough preview of your scene in a few seconds. Or you can set Iray to be used in the viewport right away.

• KRISHANKOKRISHANKO Posts: 87
    edited December 1969

KRISHANKO said:

should i redownload 4.8?

Okay, so the problem is the database. The actions you need are in the options menu for the Content Library (the rectangle with horizontal lines in the upper corner.

1) If you've made any custom categories, tags, or metadata, Content DB Maintenance > Export User Data.
    2) Content DB Maintenance > Reset Database
    3) Content DB Maintenance > Re-Import Metadata

THat did it. thank you so much!

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,655
    edited December 1969

And basically, switching render engines mid-scene doesn't seem to play nice.

I've not had problems switching back and forth, admittedly with pretty simple scenes.

edited December 1969

Zelroth said:
    I had a weird experience with the beta the other night. I had set up a scene utilizing SS Marcoor Corridor 2 and Addon on. It rendered fine (if slow for me) using the iray. I added Daz Dragon 3 and switched to dlight(?) for a quick check of how it looked and basically got a white screen with a few shapes outlined in black, like the dragon's teeth. Tried with Iray and it worked. Halted the render, and added a spotlight, tried the dlight again, same white result.

It's 3Delight. And basically, switching render engines mid-scene doesn't seem to play nice.

Moreover, you can't really use one to preview the other. They will call different shaders with different settings, so a scene set up for Iray will render weird in 3Delight, and quite often the other way around.

Generally, Iray will give you a clear enough preview of your scene in a few seconds. Or you can set Iray to be used in the viewport right away.

I have switched render engines midscene with a couple of others that I did without any problems, especially useful to compare how the scene looks with each. Using it as a preview is basically for the lighting - I know there are still differences, but the basic essential will show and I do like comparing the two different engines still.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Zelroth said:
    Zelroth said:

I have switched render engines midscene with a couple of others that I did without any problems, especially useful to compare how the scene looks with each. Using it as a preview is basically for the lighting - I know there are still differences, but the basic essential will show and I do like comparing the two different engines still.

That description sounds like a couple of orders of magnitude too high intensity setting for 3Delight lights.

I haven't done enough to know if this is the case with Iray or not, but I've had some odd behavior with lights set up for use in Luxrender and switching over to use 3Delight, without doing anything to the lights. It's like the Intensity value comes from the settings for the 'real' lights. Now if I set up the lights properly for both, like start in 3Delight and switch to Lux, after adding the Lux properties, it doesn't seem to happen. But dual engine lights can, in some cases, have the incorrect settings when switching. What it boils down to is where the interpreter/translator/whatever you want to call it places the intensity setting if the lights don't 'line up' settings-wise.

edited December 1969

And basically, switching render engines mid-scene doesn't seem to play nice.

I've not had problems switching back and forth, admittedly with pretty simple scenes.

I forget that I am only using the "scripted" mode of 3Delight; maybe that's why.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,560
    edited December 1969

I know that you can create a new null in the scene where you want the sun to be (view through Perspective View to find position and then create new null, under options selecting "Copy Selected Viewport" or "Apply Selected Viewport Transforms"), then in the Render Settings: Environment tab you can designate that null as the "SS Sun Node". I imagine that you could create keyframes for this null that would effectively animate the sun. As for animating the other environment settings, I really have no idea. You can create an environment preset to save any environment you happen to set up which can be reapplied later with the simple double-click of an icon... not sure if these would record in a timeline like poses... but probably not.

...I load the Sun Dial (Render Presets in the content tab), expand it, select the Sun Chain to position the sun, then select the "Sun" option below it and set "SS Sun Mode to that. Afterwards I can reposition the sun using the Azimuth and Elevation controls for Sun Chain in the Parameters Tab.
    edited April 2015

Zelroth said:
    I've had similar happen in 4.7 with 3delight. Flushing the shader cash (exiting Studio, and letting it completely shut down, then start Studio back up) tends to fix that.
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/720004/
    I did make a screen-cap, as I had no clue what was wrong. New version of Studio at the time, first render, etc.
    ...what I usually do is make a separate copy of a scene for use in Iray "-Iray.duf, leaving the original optimised for 3DL. while i have to switch scenes to go from 3DL to Iray, I don't have to close and open Daz all the time.
    Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • CMKook-24601CMKook-24601 Posts: 200
    edited December 1969

the time of day function in iray seems messed up. The lighting difference from 7:59pm and 8:00pm is huge.

Also is there a way to get like a "moon light" look?

edited April 2015

I let an Iray render go while I was sleeping, and when I looked at the log to find out how long it ran for, I noticed this in the log.

/* “Iray INFO – module:category(IRAY:RENDER):” omitted to save space in the post */
    1.2 IRAY rend info : CUDA device 0 (GeForce GT 730): Device optimized for interactive usage; performance could be sacrificed
    1.10 IRAY rend info : CUDA device 0 (GeForce GT 730): Prevent device timeout
    1.0 IRAY rend info : Received update to 00001 iterations after 63.740s.
    1.10 IRAY rend info : CUDA device 0 (GeForce GT 730): Execute device timeout
    1.26 IRAY rend info : CUDA device 0 (GeForce GT 730): Prevented device timeout
    1.10 IRAY rend info : CUDA device 0 (GeForce GT 730): Prevent device timeout
    1.26 IRAY rend info : CUDA device 0 (GeForce GT 730): Prevented device timeout
    1.0 IRAY rend info : Received update to 00002 iterations after 66.363s.
    etc, etc, etc...

The card was showing signs of not firing on all cylinders, lol. I will try this again with "interactive" on the CPU only. It may have been part of the sluggish performance rendering stuff. Especially given that the "Prevent device timeout" persisted threw the entire render to the end at 95% convergence.
    (Screen-cap of GPU load from a Spot-render)
    "O", and it added 24hours spontaneously at 1:00am Computer time (Set to UTC, no Daylight-savings, thus Zulu time)

ClockOff_002crop1.png
    565 x 761 - 51K
    ClockOff_001crop2.png
    2000 x 1070 - 310K
    Post edited by ZarconDeeGrissom on
    edited December 1969

Was the Optimization on Memory or Speed?

I had that problem a lot, particularly with SSS and translucency, until I got told to use Speed.

edited April 2015

Was the Optimization on Memory or Speed?

I had that problem a lot, particularly with SSS and translucency, until I got told to use Speed.

I'm sure Speed. I had tried both with spot renders, along with that OptiX Prime Acceleration on/off. Installing stuff, I'll look for the spelling in a bit.

They didn't make any difference in GPU load. Not even noticeable GPU ram load.

Post edited by ZarconDeeGrissom on
  • henrikmkhenrikmk Posts: 15
    edited April 2015

I was able to make GPU rendering fail again, simply by:

1. Creating a cube.
    2. Assign the pearl white Car Paint Iray material to the cube.
    3. Iray then falls back to CPU rendering. GPU rendering can only be enabled again by restarting DAZ Studio.

Can anyone confirm this?

Post edited by henrikmk on
  • PschelfhPschelfh Posts: 261
    edited December 1969

henrikmk said:
    I was able to make GPU rendering fail again, simply by:

1. Creating a cube.
    2. Assign the pearl white Car Paint Iray material to the cube.
    3. Iray then falls back to CPU rendering. GPU rendering can only be enabled again by restarting DAZ Studio.

Can anyone confirm this?

No fail here, it stays on my GPU (10 sec./400 iterations).

Peter.

edited December 1969

...been experiencing an interesting (and slightly worrisome) issue. When loading a scene or scene subset just after opening 4.8, the entire screen will first go all white (with a "Not Responding" message in the top title bar) then black with only the right sidebar and a blank grey pane on eh left side where the scene/environment tabs are. After the scene loads everything returns to normal but it is a bit disconcerting nonetheless.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,327
    edited December 1969

Opening a saved scene for me works just fine. Did you install DAZ Studio with DIM or did you do it manually?