DAZ Studio Pro BETA [Project Iradium] - version 4.8.0.9!

Comments

• DrPingyDrPingy Posts: 78
    edited December 1969

If you use the Cancel on the progress bar, not the render window, then you should not lose the render so far. According to the Changelog we will in future be able to stop and resume renders, at least within a session.

Yes, the options to set the Stop conditions are all in the Progressive group in Render Settings. I think in the case of time and perhaps iterations you can set the value to -1 to stop that condition being used.

Thank you for the fast reply.
    In progessive group the max sample setting means the iteration count.
    Max Time = 0 means no time settings.
    It seams that Min. Samples or Max Times is used (the smaller one).
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,576
    edited December 1969

I hope very much that Shader Builder will work properly in the final 4.8 release.
    Shader Builder or Shader Mixer?

Shader builder is a GUI interface for creating RSL shaders. (It hasn't changed and works the same as it has for some time.) Because it is for RSL shaders, it will not create MDL shaders.

Shader mixer is still being refined to handle both RSL and MDL shaders.
    ...would be nice if there could be a Shader Builder for MDL shaders as well.

• rbtwhizrbtwhiz Posts: 2,180
    edited April 2015

mjc1016 said:
    But, concurrent networks are possible, right?

Does this mean that, if one was totally insane, one could build a network that covers 3DL, Iray and Luxrender (Luxus)?

Work is being done to facilitate concurrent RSL/MDL networks; i.e. you can already have a [RSL] Surface Root brick and a MDL Surface Root brick in the same network. And all bricks now indicate the language(s) they operate on. Some of the bricks that are not in the Functions > MDL category (which are obviously MDL specific) have been updated/added to support concurrent RSL and MDL networks; not all of them have, not all of them can be. See User Parameters, Texture Instance, Texture Tiler, Texture Instance Displacement, DS Calc Displacement and Mathematical > Operators, for a glimpse of what I'm referring to. Something that has not [yet] been made clear, in the Brickyard - prior to adding a brick to the Shader Workspace, is which bricks support which language(s). There is [obviously] still a bit of work to be done here.

I noticed there are "tags" fields added to the dzDefault material (and possibly others).

The Tags property, on all surfaces (DzMaterial), provides a generic means of attaching user-defined word(s)/phrase(s) to a surface; comma delimited. The Surface Selection Tool context menu has been extended to support object-constrained or scene-wide surface selection based on assigned tags; i.e. "Select Surfaces with the Tag(s)...". If it helps, you can think of them as a free-form version of Surface Selection Sets.

Are these meant to accept light categories?

And if there is a plan to support light categories fully, will shaders like UberVolume also get working “tag” fields?

Not specifically, no. Individual DAZ owned RSL surface|volume|displacement|etc shaders have not been modified for deeper light category support; non-DAZ owned shaders are the responsibility of their respective owner(s).

That said, a Categories property has recently been added to all light types (DzLight), and is intended to be used for defining which category(-ies) a light belongs to in 3Delight. This doesn't exactly translate to Iray, and so currently serves more of a Tags role, but at the node level, with that engine; though we are looking at potentially using the Categories property with Iray canvases.

-Rob

Post edited by rbtwhiz on
  • L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited April 2015

DrPingy said:
    It is possible to stop the Iray render without lost of render image espacially in IRP or in ViewPort mode?
    Can I set the stop condition manuell, for example stop at 5% converged image or after 10 iterations?

If you use the Cancel on the progress bar, not the render window, then you should not lose the render so far. According to the Changelog we will in future be able to stop and resume renders, at least within a session.

Yes, the options to set the Stop conditions are all in the Progressive group in Render Settings. I think in the case of time and perhaps iterations you can set the value to -1 to stop that condition being used.

I tested this. When I set Max Samples to -1, I got a completely black image and rendering stopped immediately. The black screen may be scene dependent as I tried it once before and got a completely transparent "image" and rendering stopped.

However, when I set Max Time to -1, I was able to render. As it was a test, I stopped it after a few iterations, but I suspect this will work for allowing the render to go for as long as it takes to reach either the Max Sample or Rendering Converged Ratio values.

To set Max Time to -1, it is necessary to go into the Parameter Settings and change the minimum value to -1. Or just uncheck "Use Limits". I always click on the value and type in the number I want to use anyway.

I should mention, I do not have an Nvidia, CUDA core video card. I am assuming this works the same whether or not you have such a card in your system.

Post edited by L'Adair on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

rbtwhiz said:
    mjc1016 said:
    But, concurrent networks are possible, right?

Does this mean that, if one was totally insane, one could build a network that covers 3DL, Iray and Luxrender (Luxus)?

Work is being done to facilitate concurrent RSL/MDL networks; i.e. you can already have a [RSL] Surface Root brick and a MDL Surface Root brick in the same network. And all bricks now indicate the language(s) they operate on. Some of the bricks that are not in the Functions > MDL category (which are obviously MDL specific) have been updated/added to support concurrent RSL and MDL networks; not all of them have, not all of them can be. See User Parameters, Texture Instance, Texture Tiler, Texture Instance Displacement, DS Calc Displacement and Mathematical > Operators, for a glimpse of what I'm referring to. Something that has not [yet] been made clear, in the Brickyard - prior to adding a brick to the Shader Workspace, is which bricks support which language(s). There is [obviously] still a bit of work to be done here.

That's good. Looks like something to look forward to.

• RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited April 2015

rbtwhiz said:
    Rareth said:
    Is there a way to import .MDL files for use as Shaders in Studio? I notice there are quite a few files here
    C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4 Public Build\shaders\iray\NVidia that don't show up under IRAY shaders in studio.
    and I would like to use them.

Yes, there is... via Shader Mixer. But be warned, MDL support in Shader Mixer is the most BETA portion of the build; it is very likely to change.

In Shader Mixer:

1.) File > New Shader...
    - Type: Material
    - Name: < Whatever name accurately reflects the purpose of the shader >
    2.) Select and delete the default bricks; for this simplified purpose - I'm not covering concurrent MDL/RSL networks here
    3.) Add a Bricks > Roots > MDL Surface brick
    4.) Add a Bricks > Functions > MDL > Custom MDL brick
    5.) In the Settings > MDL Callable property of the Custom MDL brick, specify the path of the MDL/material/function, using double colon (::) as a path separator
    - The path is expected to be relative to the ./shaders/iray directory
    - i.e. nvidia::aluminium_anodized::aluminium_anodized
    - Custom MDL brick parameters automatically change to reflect the MDL/material/function specified
    6.) Connect the Result output parameter of the Custom MDL brick to the Material input parameter of the MDL Surface brick
    7.) Apply to surface(s)

-Rob

Awesome thanks, I have some work to do..

edit** I'll be damned that was easy

walnut-test.jpg
    1007 x 850 - 108K
    Post edited by Rareth on
    edited December 1969

and a few more

chrome.jpg
    512 x 512 - 161K
    Perlin_Noise_Glossy.jpg
    512 x 512 - 187K
    marble_white.jpg
    512 x 512 - 140K
    polyurethane_resin.jpg
    512 x 512 - 138K
  • DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

Rareth said:
    and a few more
    Very cool.
    edited December 1969

Rareth said:
    and a few more
    Very cool.

Just basically followed Rob's directions, the materials are "as is" with no way to adjust properties,
    Now I need to overhaul the Shader Mixer and map out what bricks work with MDL language and start attempting to make some basic shaders. (checker, blended etc). the import from scene doesn't appear to work with Iray materials so I can't get a jumpstart there.

• Mustakettu85Mustakettu85 Posts: 2,933
    edited December 1969

rbtwhiz said:

The Tags property, on all surfaces (DzMaterial), provides a generic means of attaching user-defined word(s)/phrase(s) to a surface; comma delimited. The Surface Selection Tool context menu has been extended to support object-constrained or scene-wide surface selection based on assigned tags; i.e. "Select Surfaces with the Tag(s)...". If it helps, you can think of them as a free-form version of Surface Selection Sets.

I see now, thanks for explaining.

rbtwhiz said:
    Individual DAZ owned RSL surface|volume|displacement|etc shaders have not been modified for deeper light category support

That's somewhat disappointing, but at least now I know not to get overexcited =) Thanks!

That said, a Categories property has recently been added to all light types (DzLight), and is intended to be used for defining which category(-ies) a light belongs to in 3Delight.

This is one of the reasons I was asking about surfaces =) Would be awesome, of course, to see the whole DAZ-owned shader system be updated. But if it's not a priority, I understand.

I still hope the Shader Builder issue gets fixed =)

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,155
    edited December 1969

Rareth said:
    and a few more
    I've never used Shader Mixer before, but I was able to follow Rob's directions with a bit of trial and error. I was surprised to see that the result had no adjustment options. Is there any way to tile the shader result or adjust other properties?

Here I cobbled together a bunch of them in the Material Ball scene.

MDL_test_small.png
    1000 x 1000 - 1M
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,888
    edited December 1969

Anyone know if you can easily get dirt shaders to work this way?

edited December 1969

barbult said:
    Rareth said:
    and a few more
    I've never used Shader Mixer before, but I was able to follow Rob's directions with a bit of trial and error. I was surprised to see that the result had no adjustment options. Is there any way to tile the shader result or adjust other properties?

Here I cobbled together a bunch of them in the Material Ball scene.It was a quick way to get MDL shaders into DS and that was all that method was meant to do.

edited April 2015

For those wanting to expose Custom MDL parameters to the Surfaces pane, you'll need to add a User Parameters brick to the Custom MDL network. The top output parameter of the User Parameters brick, Auto Add (V), is a new type of parameter that will automatically generate a property of the appropriate type and establish the connection between it and the Custom MDL brick parameter you dragged to connect*.

In the event you decide you don't want a property that has been created on the User Parameters brick, or you want to change the order they appear in, right click on the parameter header (the row with the arrow and the connector) for options.

Double click the property label to access the Parameter Settings dialog.

Also notice that the User Parameters brick also contains a toggle-able horizontal divider, collapsed by default, on the right side of the brick. Expanding this reveals a Parameters pane type of interface for organizing the properties; drag-n-drop property items (on right) into property groups (on left).

*- The User Parameters brick is not limited to MDL networks; it operates on RSL networks, or hybrid/concurrent networks too. Note: If a User Parameters brick exists in the network, the automatic elevation of input parameters is disabled, and becomes controlled explicitly by the User Parameters brick.

Again, there is more work to be done here.

-Rob

• jag11jag11 Posts: 885
    edited December 1969

rbtwhiz said:
    For those wanting to expose Custom MDL parameters to the Surfaces pane, you'll need to add a User Parameters brick to the Custom MDL network. The top output parameter of the User Parameters brick, Auto Add (V), is a new type of parameter that will automatically generate a property of the appropriate type and establish the connection between it and the Custom MDL brick parameter you dragged to connect*.

In the event you decide you don't want a property that has been created on the User Parameters brick, or you want to change the order they appear in, right click on the parameter header (the row with the arrow and the connector) for options.

Also notice that the User Parameters brick also contains a toggle-able horizontal divider, collapsed by default, on the right side of the brick. Expanding this reveals a Parameters pane type of interface for organizing the properties; drag-n-drop property items (on right) into property groups (on left).

*- The User Parameters brick is not limited to MDL networks; it operates on RSL networks, or hybrid/concurrent networks too. Note: If a User Parameters brick exists in the network, the automatic elevation of input parameters is disabled, and becomes controlled explicitly by the User Parameters brick.

-Rob

Thx, Rob.

Is it posible to create a Shader Camera in Iray, I can't seem to find an MDL Imager equivalent.

Thanks in advance.

edited December 1969

rbtwhiz said:

-Rob

Thanks for these instructions. I need a little more direction, being new to this. I can't figure out how to add a "User Parameters brick". Where do I find that?
    edited June 2015

jag11 said:
    Is it posible to create a Shader Camera in Iray, I can't seem to find an MDL Imager equivalent.

Material Definition Language (MDL) and RenderMan Shading Language (RSL) do not operate in quite the same way. I recommend reading the MDL Technical Introduction to begin understanding the differences.

Along the lines of an imager shader (RSL), and even beyond what an imager shader is really capable of, we recently implemented the concept of a "post-process" script; see 4.8.0.21 in the change log. The premise being, a script executed at the end of a render (or more specifically, a render save) that can use the entire DAZ Studio API to accomplish a post-render-save task. Given all that is possible with the DAZ Studio scripting API (which we extend quite frequently), this feature is extremely powerful. And it's implemented in a renderer agnostic way, so it can be used regardless of the render engine used to produce the image.

Thanks for these instructions. I need a little more direction, being new to this. I can't figure out how to add a "User Parameters brick". Where do I find that?

Adding a brick in Shader Mixer is accomplished by double-clicking the desired brick in the Brickyard, or by dragging and dropping a brick from the Brickyard to the Shader Workspace... quite like adding content to your scene. Alternatively, you can also add bricks from the Shader Workspace context menu.

The User Parameters brick is located in Bricks > Functions > Utility.

-Rob

edited December 1969

Thank you, Rob, for pointing me to the User Parameters brick.

• Mustakettu85Mustakettu85 Posts: 2,933
    edited December 1969

rbtwhiz said:

Along the lines of an imager shader (RSL), and even beyond what an imager shader is really capable of, we recently implemented the concept of a "post-process' script; see 4.8.0.21 in the change log. The premise being, a script executed at the end of a render (or more specifically, a render save) that can use the entire DAZ Studio API to accomplish a post-render-save task.

Does it mean we could write our own Photoshop-like filters, for example?
    And is this correct to say the effect will only be visible when the saved image is opened, like, in an image viewer or the render library?

edited April 2015

Does it mean we could write our own Photoshop-like filters, for example?

Yes, you could write your own pixel processing routines... or pass images to an image editing/ compositing application for automated processing (i.e. Photoshop Droplets)... along with a whole host of other things.

For example, you could collect information about the contents of the rendered scene and submit the rendered image along with a list of the scene contents to a web gallery API, or a social network API.

Or, you could shift the camera, apply a preset, trigger another render and then composite the images after the n'th image matching a specific naming pattern exists on disk.

And is this correct to say the effect will only be visible when the saved image is opened, like, in an image viewer or the render library?

The script is only executed after the rendered image has been saved to a user specified file; not to be confused with after the render fills the image buffer (i.e. Render Window), or after a temporary image cache (i.e. r.png) is saved. Understand however, you can cause the processed image to be displayed via script, so it can still feel fairly seamless; keeping in mind, of course, that the script is post-processing the image - and so cannot show updates as the render resolves.

-Rob

• justforflirt70justforflirt70 Posts: 3
    edited April 2015

Hello !
    Does anyone know what 'Render Quality' Iray settings are for ?
    From what I know, render quality settings are usually found in biased rendering engines (like DAZ Studio 3Delight, Poser FireFly etc) and allow the user to reduce the rendering times by making quality compromises and vice versa.
    On the other hand, unbiased renders like Iray (and LuxRender, Octane etc) don't have render quality settings, usually. They render endlessly, striving for 100% degree of convergence, when the absolute maximum quality is reached (but that would happen after an infinite timeframe). In practice, the rendering process will be stopped manually by the user when the image is sufficiently smooth and clear, or by setting a stop parameter: a maximum S/p , a maximum rendering time or a maximum degree of convergence (< 100%).
    So, when someone sets the Iray 'Render Quality' to 'enable', I presume a 'bias' is introduced then and the rendering engine becomes biased (to enable faster rendering, when the time factor is essential) ?!... Anyway, I've noticed that if 'Render Quality' is enabled, the default 'Quality' setting is '1'. But I've noticed also that the slider has not set a maximum value for this parameter. So how high can someone set this parameter and what impact does this have on the quality of the final image and the rendering times ?
    Thank you in advance !

Post edited by justforflirt70 on
  • jag11jag11 Posts: 885
    edited December 1969

rbtwhiz said:
    jag11 said:

Material Definition Language (MDL) and RenderMan Shading Language (RSL) do not operate in quite the same way. I recommend reading the MDL Technical Introduction to begin understanding the differences.

Along the lines of an imager shader (RSL), and even beyond what an imager shader is really capable of, we recently implemented the concept of a "post-process' script; see 4.8.0.21 in the change log. The premise being, a script executed at the end of a render (or more specifically, a render save) that can use the entire DAZ Studio API to accomplish a post-render-save task. Given all that is possible with the DAZ Studio scripting API (which we extend quite frequently), this feature is extremely powerful. And it's implemented in a renderer agnostic way, so it can be used regardless of the render engine used to produce the image.

Adding a brick in Shader Mixer is accomplished by double-clicking the desired brick in the Brickyard, or by dragging and dropping a brick from the Brickyard to the Shader Workspace... quite like adding content to your scene. Alternatively, you can also add bricks from the Shader Workspace context menu.

The User Parameters brick is located in Bricks > Functions > Utility.

-Rob

Thanks again Rob, can't wait for the next release.

• UkuotusUkuotus Posts: 22
    edited December 1969

Where are add backdrop freature and just under what little button you have relocated change background color? In older versions both were easy to find, use and change. Now it looks neither excists anymore no matter where I look.

• thd777thd777 Posts: 932
    edited December 1969

Where are add backdrop freature and just under what little button you have relocated change background color? In older versions both were easy to find, use and change. Now it looks neither excists anymore no matter where I look.

It's on the environment tab. Set Active type to "backdrop".
    TD

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,863
    edited December 1969

Hello !
    From what I know, render quality settings are usually found in biased rendering engines (like DAZ Studio 3Delight, Poser FireFly etc) and allow the user to reduce the rendering times by making quality compromises and vice versa.
    On the other hand, unbiased renders like Iray (and LuxRender, Octane etc) don't have render quality settings, usually. They render endlessly, striving for 100% degree of convergence, when the absolute maximum quality is reached (but that would happen after an infinite timeframe). In practice, the rendering process will be stopped manually by the user when the image is sufficiently smooth and clear, or by setting a stop parameter: a maximum S/p , a maximum rendering time or a maximum degree of convergence (< 100%).
    So, when someone sets the Iray 'Render Quality' to 'enable', I presume a 'bias' is introduced then and the rendering engine becomes biased (to enable faster rendering, when the time factor is essential) ?!... Anyway, I've noticed that if 'Render Quality' is enabled, the default 'Quality' setting is '1'. But I've noticed also that the slider has not set a maximum value for this parameter. So how high can someone set this parameter and what impact does this have on the quality of the final image and the rendering times ?
    Thank you in advance !

Iray currently has three quality controls - maximum time, maximum iterations, and minimum convergence. Whichever of those is hit first halts the render. Different combinations of those will be a "quality" setting, though their exact meaning will depend on the scene. Note that, according to the change log, we will gain the ability to pause and resume renders so we will presumably be able to turn up the limits if we need to.

edited April 2015

Hello !
    Thank you in advance !

Render quality on the Progressive Render settings? It changes the algorithm slightly to have some things resolve in less passes, but the passes take longer. It is equivalent to a filter.
    Post edited by DAZ_Spooky on
  • henrikmkhenrikmk Posts: 15
    edited December 1969

Testing out DAZ4.8 here with a GTX970 eGPU on my Macbook Pro and Iray runs quite well, by simply loading a basic Victoria 6 into an empty scene.

Then, I apply the 'Iray Optimized Genesis 2 shader' that came with the beta version. It renders OK, but then I go to the 'Surfaces' tab, pick the 'Skin' part for V6 and set 'Metallicity' to 0.5.

Now CPU rendering kicks in and GPU rendering stops working for the rest of the session, even if I revert the change or if I create or load a new scene. DAZ needs to be restarted for GPU rendering to work again.

In the log it says at the point of failure:

Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.2 IRAY rend info : CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 970): Scene processed in 0.916s
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.2 IRAY rend info : CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 970): Allocated 804 MB of work space (1024k active samples)
    WARNING: /src/pluginsource/DzIrayRender/dzneuraymgr.cpp(256): Iray ERROR - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.3 IRAY rend error: CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 970): an illegal instruction was encountered (while launching CUDA renderer)
    WARNING: /src/pluginsource/DzIrayRender/dzneuraymgr.cpp(256): Iray ERROR - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.3 IRAY rend error: CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 970): Failed to launch renderer
    WARNING: /src/pluginsource/DzIrayRender/dzneuraymgr.cpp(256): Iray ERROR - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.2 IRAY rend error: CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 970): an illegal instruction was encountered (while de-allocating memory)
    WARNING: /src/pluginsource/DzIrayRender/dzneuraymgr.cpp(256): Iray ERROR - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.2 IRAY rend error: CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 970): an illegal instruction was encountered (while de-allocating memory)
    WARNING: /src/pluginsource/DzIrayRender/dzneuraymgr.cpp(256): Iray ERROR - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.2 IRAY rend error: CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 970): Device failed while rendering
    WARNING: /src/pluginsource/DzIrayRender/dzneuraymgr.cpp(256): Iray WARNING - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.2 IRAY rend warn : Re-rendering iteration because of device failure
    WARNING: /src/pluginsource/DzIrayRender/dzneuraymgr.cpp(256): Iray ERROR - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.2 IRAY rend error: All workers failed: aborting render
    WARNING: /src/pluginsource/DzIrayRender/dzneuraymgr.cpp(256): Iray WARNING - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.2 IRAY rend warn : All available GPUs failed.
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.2 IRAY rend info : Falling back to CPU rendering.
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.0 IRAY rend info : Retry rendering with other devices.
    WARNING: /src/pluginsource/DzIrayRender/dzneuraymgr.cpp(256): Iray ERROR - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.0 IRAY rend error: CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 970): an illegal instruction was encountered (while de-allocating memory)

Another issue:

If I hold the mouse pointer over the rotate widget in a viewport with either a camera or perspective view and click and drag to rotate, the viewport rotates OK.

But if I, after releasing the mouse button, keep the mouse pointer over the rotate widget and then click to rotate again, the previous camera angle is re-used as starting point for rotation.

I don't think this is intentional?

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,888
    edited December 1969

Has ANYONE figured out what causes CUDA timeouts?

I keep hitting it in projects and flailing trying to get it to stop. :/

• KRISHANKOKRISHANKO Posts: 87
    edited April 2015

in lieu of making a thread just to ask this...

i accidentaly downloaded 4.8 again from the DIM, and now, everytime i search in the program, either nothing is found (on FILE) or i get a bunch of empty "file does not exist" archives (in database).

however, manually browsing the tree shows files are clearly there.

for example, im searching for cara (character) and in databese, i only get empty files, but the files are there in the tree, and can load everything from cara into a genesis 2 witthout problem. whats wrong? i tend to depend on searching to find files (specially for victoria 4.2).

yes, i scanned my entire hard drive for files, and i still get empty files in database

Post edited by KRISHANKO on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Go to Edit > Preferences > Content Library > Content Directory Manager and make sure your actual content locations are listed under both "DAZ Studio Formats" and "Poser Formats".