DAZ Studio Pro BETA [Project Iradium] - version 4.8.0.9!

Comments

• Cake OneCake One Posts: 381
    edited December 1969

]Unfortunately, there is nothing we can fix when it comes to drivers. The Mac drivers tend to be even more of an issue since Apple stopped putting out the CUDA driver with the launch of 10.10 and their proprietary hardware.

I understand the issue with Apple hardware but this doesn't seem to be the case :
    The GTX and CUDA drivers have been downloaded this morning from NVIDIA website.

So far, CUDA drivers were 6.x.x
    This morning, last driver is 7.x.x

Could it be the reason why IRAY doesn't recognize it?

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,821
    edited December 1969

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/787648/?comment=4436913 I have utterly no idea but looking or asking on these forums may help, not your card but seems like similar issue

• Cake OneCake One Posts: 381
    edited December 1969

Thanks Wendy but it's not the same problem
    My cuda is working, just not recognized by IRAY.

Anyway, to solve it, i reverted back to previous GTX driver and previous CUDA driver and i can render with GPU again.
    I have to be careful not to install new NVIDIA update :)

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/787648/?comment=4436913 I have utterly no idea but looking or asking on these forums may help, not your card but seems like similar issue
  • DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

Cake One said:
    ]Unfortunately, there is nothing we can fix when it comes to drivers. The Mac drivers tend to be even more of an issue since Apple stopped putting out the CUDA driver with the launch of 10.10 and their proprietary hardware.

I understand the issue with Apple hardware but this doesn't seem to be the case :
    The GTX and CUDA drivers have been downloaded this morning from NVIDIA website.

So far, CUDA drivers were 6.x.x
    This morning, last driver is 7.x.x

Could it be the reason why IRAY doesn't recognize it?

I'm sorry, I wasn' entirely clear. Thers is nothing we can do about driver issues. Those drivers are, like the render engine, done by NVIDIA. They should work. That combination is working on my iMac but iMacs have very narrow hardware options.

• HoleHole Posts: 119
    edited December 1969

With all the fixes in the change log about lighting, do any of them involve fixes related to the coordinate system (Y-up/Z-up)?

The attached pic is from .9, the point light and plane both have the same IES profile attached and the plane seems pretty insistent on lighting towards the negative Z axis in world space rather than perpendicular from the face normal. Assuming that this is a bug and not me screwing something up, it would be nice if any coordinate related fixes could also make it so that point lights default to being oriented to negative Y(pointing down) rather than negative Z.

IESbug.jpg
    404 x 1200 - 81K
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Hole said:
    With all the fixes in the change log about lighting, do any of them involve fixes related to the coordinate system (Y-up/Z-up)?

The attached pic is from .9, the point light and plane both have the same IES profile attached and the plane seems pretty insistent on lighting towards the negative Z axis in world space rather than perpendicular from the face normal. Assuming that this is a bug and not me screwing something up, it would be nice if any coordinate related fixes could also make it so that point lights default to being oriented to negative Y(pointing down) rather than negative Z.

Nice to see that the 'world' coordinates are not just funky with 3Delight...

Basically, not everything is on the same page. Studio, the render engines and the shaders are not agreeing as to which way is up.

The world fix has been needed for a very long time.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,868
    edited December 1969

Hole said:

IES profiles should work correctly with spotlights. Using them with other types of light is not always going to give the expected results, I believe.

edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:

Nice to see that the 'world' coordinates are not just funky with 3Delight...

Basically, not everything is on the same page. Studio, the render engines and the shaders are not agreeing as to which way is up.

The world fix has been needed for a very long time.

Well it makes sense that Iray's defaults match MAX's coordinates and there's too much existing content to flip DS on it's side now which would also further break Poser compatibility. The only fix would probably be a time machine and coding their own renderer from the beginning, I doubt many render engines come with the option of flipping everything on it's side ...or just not use Poser coordinates and try to evade the ensuing riot lol.

I think the orientation of the point lights is probably locked but this should be the relevant code for the shader based light:

(bah...copy/paste messes up the formatting so here's a pic)

should be "global_distribution = false,"

code.jpg
    785 x 480 - 136K
    edited December 1969

IES profiles should work correctly with spotlights. Using them with other types of light is not always going to give the expected results, I believe.

Not seeing that option on spots and point light is giving the expected result just not oriented in what would be the most common use for them so it's not really an issue just makes it's easier to use for headlights rather than arch/vis stuff :)

• julesduqjulesduq Posts: 16
    edited April 2015

No Bump mapping or Displacement mapping rendered in IRay.

Or am I missing something.

Using Skin Overlay and it does not render the Bump or Displacement mapping.

I would also like to see realtime bump and displacement in the viewport, if that is possible.

Post edited by julesduq on
  • Subtropic PixelSubtropic Pixel Posts: 2,378
    edited December 1969

I'm getting weary of the beta. Even though it's installed via DIM, it's not really set up "the same" as the production version. I only install it on my workstation, not my laptop. So it's like I have two completely different behaving versions.

I'm ready for a return to consistency between machines.

So when is it going live?

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited April 2015

It is there but because it is handled a bit differently you may need to up the strength on them.

it’s not really set up “the same” as the production version.

You need to customize it to match your regular set up. Mine looks exactly like my non beta version.

Post edited by Khory on
  • SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

Khory said:
    It is there but because it is handled a bit differently you may need to up the strength on them.
    I don't know about the bump, but wasn't there a post somewhere upthread about displacement needing the object's Resolution Level setting bumped up a bit? 3Delight does this automatically at render time, but Iray uses whatever mesh density the object has when you hit the render button — too low a setting will leave not enough mesh detail to do the actual displacement.
    it’s not really set up “the same” as the production version.

You need to customize it to match your regular set up. Mine looks exactly like my non beta version.
    If you've never used a beta before, it's installed into a separate location from the previous full release, which means the beta won't have any preference customisations you might have set up.
  • Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    edited December 1969

Khory said:

I don't know about the bump, but wasn't there a post somewhere upthread about displacement needing the object's Resolution Level setting bumped up a bit? 3Delight does this automatically at render time, but Iray uses whatever mesh density the object has when you hit the render button — too low a setting will leave not enough mesh detail to do the actual displacement.

That's the render subdivisions that you would set for HD morphs. There should be a separate setting displacement subdivision.

edited December 1969

Khory said:

That's the render subdivisions that you would set for HD morphs. There should be a separate setting displacement subdivision.

There is, in the Iray uber shader. So, if the Render SubD level for basic smoothing and HD morphs isn't enough for the displacement select teh affected surface, apply the Iray Uber Base shader if it isn't already applied, and adjust its SubD setting. If only a limited area needs the higher SubD, use the Geometry Editor tool to select it and create a new Surface so that your increased mesh resolution affects no more of the model than needed since the extra will rapidly eat up your video RAM.

• DAZ_cjonesDAZ_cjones Posts: 637
    edited December 1969

Khory said:

There is, in the Iray uber shader. So, if the Render SubD level for basic smoothing and HD morphs isn't enough for the displacement select teh affected surface, apply the Iray Uber Base shader if it isn't already applied, and adjust its SubD setting. If only a limited area needs the higher SubD, use the Geometry Editor tool to select it and create a new Surface so that your increased mesh resolution affects no more of the model than needed since the extra will rapidly eat up your video RAM.

In the end an object's final subdivision level is the max of all its materials and the the render/viewport level (depending on whether you are rendering or drawing). The viewport/render subdivisions use the mode you set on the node. The difference from the node level to the max of materials is done by Iray and uses bilinear subdivision.

edited April 2015

Khory said:

In the end an object's final subdivision level is the max of all its materials and the the render/viewport level (depending on whether you are rendering or drawing). The viewport/render subdivisions use the mode you set on the node. The difference from the node level to the max of materials is done by Iray and uses bilinear subdivision.

Ah, so there's no point in fiddling with Geometry Editor. I had wondered how the transition between surfaces was handled if they could have different levels.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,576
    edited December 1969

...odd question...

Where does one find the IRay Render stamp to place on images?

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...odd question...

I don't believe it has been made generally available.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...odd question...

I don't believe it has been made generally available.

LOL, I was just going to say "Become a DAZ 3D PA" :coolsmirk:

edited December 1969

...when I can afford a modelling programme that either doesn't keep freezing up on me or requires advanced study in cryptography to understand its UI. ;-)

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,261
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...when I can afford a modelling programme that either doesn't keep freezing up on me or requires advanced study in cryptography to understand its UI. ;-)

Silo is on sale at Smith Micro and its not overly difficult to use

• ZarconDeeGrissomZarconDeeGrissom Posts: 5,412
    edited April 2015

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...when I can afford a modelling program that either doesn't keep freezing up on me or requires advanced study in cryptography to understand its UI. ;-)
    how about a simple image editor. Make your own, and then, well it's yours. You won't have to worry about daz or nvidia coming after you for 'taking' there 'trademark', lol.
    (EDIT)
    Or feel free to use this I just made in about 2 seconds in MS Paint. I'll make a quike one for 3delight (3DL) just for comparison renders and such.
    3DL_Icon2_By_ZDG.png
    64 x 32 - 280B
    3DL_Icon_By_ZDG.png
    128 x 32 - 426B
    Iray_Icon_By_ZDG2.png
    64 x 32 - 332B
    Iray_Icon_By_ZDG.png
    64 x 32 - 304B
    Post edited by ZarconDeeGrissom on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,821
    edited December 1969

Theres the logo on the ball prop
    or stick a tiny render of the ballprop in the corner

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...when I can afford a modelling program that either doesn't keep freezing up on me or requires advanced study in cryptography to understand its UI. ;-)
    how about a simple image editor. Make your own, and then, well it's yours. You won't have to worry about daz or nvidia coming after you for 'taking' there 'trademark', lol.
    (EDIT)
    Or feel free to use this I just made in about 2 seconds in MS Paint. I'll make a quike one for 3delight (3DL) just for comparison renders and such.
    ..sorry, but I burned out on programming back in the 90s. Damn near ruined me as I was drinking about a third of a bottle of Soct's (single malt) whiskey a night just to relax so I could sleep.
  • ZarconDeeGrissomZarconDeeGrissom Posts: 5,412
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    Kyoto Kid said:
    (EDIT)

..sorry, but I burned out on programming back in the 90s. Damn near ruined me as I was drinking about a third of a bottle of Soct's (single malt) whiskey a night just to relax so I could sleep.No, No, No. I was implying, make your own little Iray/3DL logo, not make another, ah, yea, bad memories.
    I don't want to look at another memory manager ever again, :shut: I'm more then happy to just use them from now on.
  • JabbaJabba Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

I'm not sure where to ask this, but I'll ask here as Iradium is the home of Iray in DAZ...

Will we be getting the motion blur function for Iray? (please please pretty pleeeeeeease!!!!!)

One of the major advantages Iray has over other Luxrender is that it also includes functions let you go beyond simply render meshes in scene e.g. the guys that develop Luxrender are 'purists' inasmuch that they refuse to develop tools that 'cheat' the viewer such as shadow catchers and the like. We already have a dome setup we can use as a shadow catcher, but we don't yet have motion blur (I know Octane 2.0 has motion blur, but I'm not prepared to pay that amount of money to get it).

• JimbowJimbow Posts: 557
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...odd question...

Create > New iray Decal Node

It comes in as a cube with a default Z (XY) projection.

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

Will we be getting the motion blur function for Iray?

Pretty sure that one is up to nvidia.

• Kevin SandersonKevin Sanderson Posts: 1,643
    edited April 2015

Iray has motion blur, but it's not implemented in DAZ Studio yet. 3DS Max has it as I posted earlier: http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/3ds-max/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2015/ENU/3DSMax/files/GUID-25648CF2-A60F-450F-8880-8ADCD2EB13FF-htm.html

I want it, need it and will use it. If you render at 24 fps like I do, it's mandatory.

Post edited by Kevin Sanderson on