More Non-photorealistic Renders (NPR III)

Comments

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,739

@csaa

Ok, I will try to minimize my posting in this thread.

• vrba79 said:

Nice job!

• vrba79vrba79 Posts: 1,297

Thanks!

• csaacsaa Posts: 812
    edited January 2023

The Yawn, a render I first made with G8F several months back. Here I've reused the pose for a G8.1F figure. I decided to ditch NPR textures and simply colored in parts of the scene in post edit. It pretty much was an exercise in layers and masking, and also in applying hatch pattterns. Minimal and muted.

Thanks for your interest.

Cheers!

Sgt. Inez: The Yawn | Daz assets and set up | Blender Eevee render | Clip Studio Paint post-edit

Post edited by csaa on

I took the new color scheme from above ^^^^ and updated the Blender shaders I typically use for the figure. It's a close approximation, with the normal maps of from the Daz asset blended in. The render output had enough texture such that just a small amount was needed in post-editing.

Cheers!

Sgt. Inez | Daz assets | Blender Eevee render | Clip Studio Paint post-edit

• tkdroberttkdrobert Posts: 3,532

Anime Girl

• tkdrobert said:

Anime Girl

Nice!

LoreMistress Izaria said:

tkdrobert said:

Anime Girl

Nice!

Thank you.

• Phloki3dPhloki3d Posts: 124

Awesome stuff all! I was really digging the colour palettes in the last few images so I was inspired to cook something up,

Still working on making new textures for Gen 9 too but so far so good, 

wake-up.png
    1080 x 1350 - 2M

Apologies for the double post but I thought it was worth sharing the breakthrough I finally made with creating a shadow pass with Octane whilst still maintaining all of the toon materials, 

I think it makes for quite the leap in quality from the flat image above whilst still maintaining the look I wanted, 

wake-up-v2.png
    1080 x 1350 - 2M
    edited January 2023

Phloki3D,

On the balance the second one certainly comes out on top. With the first, I wasn't sure if the character was wearing a bull cap. The shadows now make it clear (at least to me) that she's wearing some sort of VR headgear. The lack of shading across her forehead and eyes also stood out. The lighting now makes more sense in the updated render.

I'm not sure if it was your intent, but the shadows downshifted the luminance of the scene, making it look more somber or sinister, less perky and upbeat than the first. I guess it's a matter of style and the intent you had in mind. The first one had a stronger cartoon aesthetic. Nothing wrong -- it just goes to show how adding shading changes the tone of a scene.

Glad you worked that out in Octane! Nothing feels as good as when art and technical know-how all line up well.

Yeah, I agree that recently we've had a good run of images shared on this thread. For me it started with the 80s themed image LoreMistress Izaria posted last Christmas. That one showcased creative use of brush and color. I'm glad everyone found the time to share their work.

Here's a shout out to juvesatriani and 3Diva ... hope to hear from you once more in 2023! smiley

Cheers!

Phloki3D said:

Apologies for the double post but I thought it was worth sharing the breakthrough I finally made with creating a shadow pass with Octane whilst still maintaining all of the toon materials, 

I think it makes for quite the leap in quality from the flat image above whilst still maintaining the look I wanted,

Post edited by csaa on
  • csaa said:

Yeah, I agree that recently we've had a good run of images shared on this thread. For me it started with the 80s themed image LoreMistress Izaria posted last Christmas. That one showcased creative use of brush and color. I'm glad everyone found the time to share their work.

Aww, thanks! That one was a real challenge for me. I feel like my art came so far since I started. Here's to improving even more in 2023!

Yeah. I was just not up to the task of taming Octane the way you did. I went crawling back to PWToon instead, lol.

@vrba79 you still get great results and at the end of the day it doesn't matter how you get there. Personally I wouldn't even know where to start with PWToon as I've been so used to Octane, so it goes both ways!

I'm also still learning something new about Octane each day. For this test I've added in some rim lighting and I can take advantage of the fact it's just a black and white layer to mask in the glow in post. A lot of my images have a cyberpunk flavour to them so it should come in handy later.

5.jpg
    823 x 1074 - 322K
  • Phloki3D said:

That is AMAZING!! I think this looks phenomenal, it looks just like a hand drawn comic. I'd love a tutorial on how you achieved this if that's something you'd like to share, I've never really worked with Octane but I've been so impressed with your results.

edited January 2023

Thank you for the compliment @MagesMoon

The workflow will be very similar to others in the thread, just a case of compositing render passes on top of a flat render, so you can definitely get similar results through other methods if Octane isn't for you. For me, Octane generates rougher and more stylized outlines that work well for the look that I want, and it's also the render engine that I've used for around a decade so that's the only reason I still stick with it. 

That being said I've cobbled together a quick run-through for you in case it's of use: https://imgur.com/a/8hOdyxT

To go through the ins and outs of Octane itself for a new user would be a daunting task for me, so it may be worth taking a look at Daz's official tutorials for Octane to get to grips with the system itself, and then apply my methods:

Hope that helps somewhat!

Post edited by Phloki3d on
  • Phyre FeyPhyre Fey Posts: 18
    edited January 2023

Phloki3D said:

That being said I've cobbled together a quick run-through for you in case it's of use: https://imgur.com/a/8hOdyxT

You're the best!! Thanks so much for taking the time to detail it.I will be playing around following your steps with my models and I'll share my results here. I've very exicted!!
    Also if I end up not liking Octane your tutorial will 100% come in handy for 3delight as well. ^.^ Thanks again for your generosity.

Post edited by Phyre Fey on
  • Phyre FeyPhyre Fey Posts: 18
    edited January 2023

Also this is my latest 3delight render of Finley a character I'm designing for a short comic I'll be pumping out at some point... Here is the raw render and the edited/prettied version in clip studio.

finleybestest.png
    2820 x 2820 - 3M
    finleydone.png
    2086 x 2086 - 3M
    Post edited by Phyre Fey on
    edited January 2023

I Challenge You! To do more NPR.  smiley

I Challenge You

Post edited by tkdrobert on

I love that PWToon is experiencing something of a revival.

edited February 2023

vrba79 said:

I love that PWToon is experiencing something of a revival.

vrba79,

We have a good representation of NPR techniques, wouldn't you say? Phloki3D's technique using Octane, which he graciously shared, reminds me of juvesatriani notes for !JSFlat. Even Artini's use of Unity has been very interesting. Speaking of PWToons, I do find folks asking in the Commons forum about Daz NPR add-ons. The examples you and others shared lately should be inspiring.

Cheers!

Post edited by csaa on

• MzimigaMzimiga Posts: 15

Phloki3D said:

Thank you for the compliment @MagesMoon

The workflow will be very similar to others in the thread, just a case of compositing render passes on top of a flat render, so you can definitely get similar results through other methods if Octane isn't for you. For me, Octane generates rougher and more stylized outlines that work well for the look that I want, and it's also the render engine that I've used for around a decade so that's the only reason I still stick with it. 

To go through the ins and outs of Octane itself for a new user would be a daunting task for me, so it may be worth taking a look at Daz's official tutorials for Octane to get to grips with the system itself, and then apply my methods:

Hope that helps somewhat!

WOW! Thank you Phloki3D! Much appreciated! I have been working so hard to figure out how to achieve the look I want and getting frustrated with all my failed attempts. Your style is exactly what I'm trying to accomplish, so having you post an explanation is so incredibly helpful. Today will be spent learning Octane and then trying to follow your tutorial steps!! Seriously, so grateful!! 

@vrba79 I love the look of this! Beautiful colours and the outlines on the creases of the jacket are awesome!

@Mzimiga You're very welcome.I look forward to seeing what you come up with and I'll do my best to help out if you need it along the way, I know Octane can seem daunting!

Thanks. Joy is defacto main character in my webcomic, so I always make sure she looks her best.

Hi, NPR Peeps!

I've been mixing renders and brining it all together in the post-edit phase. For example, here I've been playing with masks and hatching layers, trying to harmonize these shading elements with minimal color palette to achieve a comic book look. I found that the conceptualizing stage was a lot more important in that it would spare me from too many re-do's in the hatching work. I guess there's a premium in imagining the final outcome before hand in order to save time and effort.

Cheers!

Sgt. Inez: S6 Lab | Daz assets and set up | Blender Eevee render | Clip Studio Paint post-edit

This pic is an example of why I started to move away from Sketchy Toon for Iray. I wanted the skirt Joy is wearing to be shiny, but when trying to use Sketchy Toon, you can either have a consistent cartoony look, or you get to have specular highlights. You don't get to have it both ways. This isn't a problem with my dear old friend PwToon.

More comic concept art. This time a hitwoman who specializes in using a shotgun, and who's name is a reference to a classic rock song.

edited February 2023

Two 3D scenes, one old and another recent, in which I started with line art render and then relied heavily on Clip Studio Paint to add the shading, as well as the background. Two different scenes. Two different black and white tones.

Update: Wardrobe always stands out. For the first image, the half-orc is wearing Orlean's Armor for Genesis 8 Male(s); for the second, I snagged Tech Soldier: Special Forces when it was on sale.

Cheers!

Knight-Errant in the Land of the Ghouls | Daz assets | Blender render | Clip Studio Paint post-edit

Sgt. Inez: Empty Handed | Daz assets | Blender render | Clip Studio Paint post-edit

Post edited by csaa on
  • LoreMistress IzariaLoreMistress Izaria Posts: 145
    edited February 2023

Love all the new additions to the thread. I've been working on a character for a few weeks now, off and on:

Since I struggle with composition and making simplistic scenes, I am going to take inspiration from one of my favorite 50's Pinup artists and recreate some of his scenes:

Rosi character sheet.jpg
    2550 x 4200 - 1M
    Used- Denim Mountain Top with Flag.png
    1654 x 2213 - 7M
    Post edited by LoreMistress Izaria on