More Non-photorealistic Renders (NPR III)

Comments

• csaacsaa Posts: 812

LoreMistress Izaria

Thank you! A follow up to the follow up ...

Thorala: Qualinesti Elf | Daz assets | Blender Eevee render | Clip Studio Paint post-edit 

LoreMistress Izaria said:

@csaa Love the way this is turning out. The colors are nice.

Part of an earlier set. I forgot to share this one.

The backdrop is MRI Room and her attire is Tech Soldier: Special Forces. The Blender screenshot is attached.

Cheers!

Sgt. Inez: Kit Out 005_002 | Daz assets | Blender render | Clip Studio Paint post-edit

Inez_16_Blender.jpg
    1356 x 748 - 118K

A new office attire I put together. Daz items used - 90s Stylish Hair, Dapper Fluid Outfit, Riviera Noon Outfit, MDU Blouse. Kitbashed with Blender to get the wardrobe meshes to look well. Color scheme? I took inspiration from anime depictions of high school uniforms.

Cheers!

Sgt. Inez Kit Out 006 | Daz assets | Blender Eevee render | Clip Studio Paint post-edit

• vrba79vrba79 Posts: 1,297

• EurocoinEurocoin Posts: 299

I have a quick question.
    Does PWToon work with the latest version of Daz Studio?
    I'd like to update mine (currently using v. 4.15), but my current projects use and rely heavily on PWToon, so I'd like to know bofore doing it.

It does. I checked just yesterday.

When I made the character Wolfe Barnett, Lupin the 3rd was one of the main inspirations, so of course I had to eventually dress him up as Lupin.

edited April 2023

vrba79,

I see the resemblance! Maybe replace the curly hair with a "helmet" mop. That would get it closer to anime Lupin. In any case, nice piece of work. 

Cheers!

vrba79 said:

When I made the character Wolfe Barnett, Lupin the 3rd was one of the main inspirations, so of course I had to eventually dress him up as Lupin.

Post edited by csaa on
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,165

Should have closed one of his eyes for good measure. 

One thing I gotta give IRAY props for, is how easy it is to do high contrast mood lighting with.

edited May 2023

Sgt. Inez: Upbraidment | Daz assets | Blender Eevee render | Clip Studio Paint post-edit

Post edited by csaa on

The secret sauce for this is a few steps of postwork on a single pass render.

Here's the before and after. The shader used is Myshaders2, to get that DzDefault simplicity from Iray.

edited May 2023

A work in progress. Part of the scene came from the Xi Futuristic Home Office set.

** UPDATE** - I posted the final render in 3D Comic Book Tips and Pictures at the top of the page.

Sgt. Inez: Debating the Fine Points  | Daz assets | Blender Eevee render | Clip Studio Paint post-edit

Post edited by csaa on

Getting some more mileage out of Sketchytoon.

edited May 2023

Cel shading treatment for the dForce Long Sleeved Cheongsam for Genesis 8 Female(s). Massaging the clothing mesh to suit a pose like this isn't easy. I'm not sure if I got it right.blush

Cheers!

Sgt. Inez: Cheongsam Charm | Daz assets | Blender Eevee render | Clip Studio Paint post-edit

Post edited by csaa on

This rendered in 8 seconds. No post.

I may have shared one of these a while back. It's hard now to go through older posts. These were my first attempts at mixing texture images that came with the Daz assets with the shaders I used in Blender.The last image has a toning applied to it in post-edit.

The note I had for these renders read: "A legionnaire manning the front on some faraway planet listens to the latest transmissions." Huh.

Cheers!

At the Fringe of the Imperium | Daz assets | Blender Eevee render | Clip Studio Paint post-edit

• @csaa Interesting.

I am learning Blender right now because I love the way NPR shaders work. I like my process, but it isn't 'just right' yet.

@csaa Interesting.

I am learning Blender right now because I love the way NPR shaders work. I like my process, but it isn't 'just right' yet.

LoreMistress Izaria,

So pleased to hear that!  Warning: once you start, you're in store for a long time of learning. There's just so much about Blender to pick up; adding Daz into the mix opens up a lot of possibilities. I myself am still charting the skills that I have yet learn.

About NPR shaders in Blender, there are many tutorials on rolling out one's own. For someone starting out with Blender at the ground floor, this may be too much. I high recommend using the commercial shaders. For a reasonable price, they get you productive soon and help build confidence quickly. The one from Lightning Boy Studio is what I use. (Check out their YouTube channel.) I'd be happy to help you out in case you need it.

Cheers!

• LoreMistress IzariaLoreMistress Izaria Posts: 145
    edited May 2023

csaa said:

@csaa Interesting.

LoreMistress Izaria,

So pleased to hear that!  Warning: once you start, you're in store for a long time of learning. There's just so much about Blender to pick up; adding Daz into the mix opens up a lot of possibilities. I myself am still charting the skills that I have yet learn.

About NPR shaders in Blender, there are many tutorials on rolling out one's own. For someone starting out with Blender at the ground floor, this may be too much. I high recommend using the commercial shaders. For a reasonable price, they get you productive soon and help build confidence quickly. The one from Lightning Boy Studio is what I use. (Check out their YouTube channel.) I'd be happy to help you out in case you need it.

Cheers!

I've already done the Donut tutorial and am working my way through the Dungeon Door tutorial now. I have a scene in mind and no products match my needs, so I've decided to stop being a brat about learning Blender.

I already tinker in the Daz Shader Mixer, so the nodes in Blender don't scare me. Plus, I picked up Blenderkit (free) and it has a handful of decent NPR shaders. That being said, I will definitely check out those shaders, and will probably take you up on the offer for help/advice later in my journey.

Donut final.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    Post edited by LoreMistress Izaria on
    edited May 2023

Sgt. Inez & Lt. Andriv | Daz assets | Blender Eevee render | Clip Studio Paint post-edit

Post edited by csaa on
  • SapphireBlueSapphireBlue Posts: 846

csaa said:

Sgt. Inez: Upbraidment | Daz assets | Blender Eevee render | Clip Studio Paint post-edit

This one's great! I really like the combination of crisp outlines and contrasting detail of the character, alongside the use of DOF. Also your previous post is quite eye-catching with its color palette, composition and POV.yes

I'm enjoying a quick catch-up of the posts on this thread. After a long time, I'm returning to some NPR renders for a current project. Hope to post it when I get it done. There's so much variety in NPR renders and in each case, it asks to be approached with a different eye and feel altogether. I'm definitely enjoying it a lot! smiley

SapphireBlue said:

I'm enjoying a quick catch-up of the posts on this thread. After a long time, I'm returning to some NPR renders for a current project. Hope to post it when I get it done. There's so much variety in NPR renders and in each case, it asks to be approached with a different eye and feel altogether. I'm definitely enjoying it a lot! smiley

SapphireBlue,

Thanks for the kind feedback! Coming from a photography background, there's a lot to be said about photorealistic renders, and that's even though I spend most of my time learning about NPR techniques. If my goal was mainly to produce a compelling image, then photorealism is one tool I'd reach for. But lately for my projects, the image is just one component to consider. My choice of visual style depends on other related factors, and getting every one working together coherently is my larger goal.

Given how that can be a difficult juggle, I veer to NPR mainly for its simplicity. Compared to photorealistic rendering, I find myself attending to less concerns with NPR, freeing up the needed mental space. What am I saying? What emotions am I trying to convey? With NPR I find less things getting in the way of expressing these aspects visually.

Aside from this NPR thread, I also recommend looking over the MANGA STYLE & VISUAL STYLE topic thread here in the Daz Forums. The posts go way, way back, and I think the shaders rely on 3Delight rather than IRay. I myself haven't tried them; someone more knowledgeable would have to explain if they work with the latest Daz Studio at all. Nonetheless it's interesting to find that what I'm trying now has been done a while back -- all that without the steep learning curve that Blender comes with, or the extra hoops I go through with my workflow.

Cheers!

• @csaa

I can confirm that Visual Style Shaders still works in the current version, and they work best in 3Delight. They do render in iRay, but the colors get washed out (which is a style in its own right).

edited May 2023

@csaa

I can confirm that Visual Style Shaders still works in the current version, and they work best in 3Delight. They do render in iRay, but the colors get washed out (which is a style in its own right).

LoreMistress Izaria,

Appreciate the info! Is that what you use for your rendering?

Post edited by csaa on
  • csaa said:

@csaa

LoreMistress Izaria,

Appreciate the info! Is that what you use for your rendering?

Yes. My most recent series is rendered in 3Delight with Visual Style shaders using the included product textures. I do very light postwork to pop the contrast.

edited May 2023

Got to work on the helmet from the Tactical Assault Outfit kit.

Sgt. Inez | Daz assets | Blender Eevee render | Clip Studio Paint post-edit

Post edited by csaa on

32 Seconds, Iray. No postwork.

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,850

Great achievement, @vrba79. So nice and so fast and in iray. Wow!