No one asked me - Diomede screenshots on whatever - Warning AI Discussion OK

Comments

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,524

Diomede said:

Just brushing up on my procedural shader skills as applied to terrains, replicators, trees, etc.

Simple scene with single terrain (duplicated once as a platform for replicated objects), single tree, and checkbox for realistic sky.  Just trying to use procedural shaders for tree trunk, leaves, terrain grssland, and terrain cliffs.  Also used a procedural shader to make sure trees did not replicate on steep cliff face.  Terrain is created with filters for craters, mesa, and fractal function.

Nice !!!

• DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,234

Diomede said:

For the walk cycle reference, I did a simple mapping of a reference image to a plane and inserted that in the Carrara scene next to the rigged character.  I slide the reference plane to line up the next image.

That is incredibly clever!

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026
    edited September 2022

Dragons and Bees.

Relation to Challenges.  I began work on an animation for the current Carrara Challenge.  Very rough entry.  Ugh.  It is so rough that I almost did not enter it.  Here,  I will be posting additional progress, updates, edits, etc. over the next couple of months because I think it is a good idea and a fun project overall. Several WIPs of assets and workflows are in the Challenge 63 WIP thread here.  https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/578331/carrara-challenge-63-there-be-dragons-wip/p1

The story.  The title, Dragons and Bees, is a play on Birds and Bees.  The story idea is a very simple and common structure with many cliches.  Boy meets girl.  Boy loses girl.  Boy and girl reunite. 

Other ways that storytelling has been characterized include The Hero's Journey, The Virgin's Promise, Save the Cat, and the Big Lie.  But despite a hopefully familiar structure, my story Dragon and Bees is not those.  It is not Joseph Campbell's common Hero's Journey like Star Wars, despite obvious parallels.  For example, the protagonists will actively avoid the cave despite being told to enter.  Nor is it the equally common Virgin's Promise.  The protagonists will not already have inherent power that society is suppressing; rather, the protagonists will have to practice, train, develop, and apply skills that society has always encouraged the protagonists to pursue.  The storyline will save no cats; instead, cats will have symbiotic relations with dragons' desolate biosystem and must not be saved. There will be something thought to 'The Big Lie,' something society promotes as true but the protagonists 'learn' is not true, but it will turn out that thousands of years of society had good reasons to believe 'The Big Lie' is true - because the 'Big Lie' is not in fact a big lie. 

Status.  The animation Dragon and Bees entered in Challenge 63 has no bees.  Woe is me. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will be posting some updates in this No One Asked Me thread after the challenge voting is complete.

Post edited by Diomede on

Stories making fun of storytelling are common.  My project is one more.  Here is a classic movie reference.  Paris When it Sizzles is one of many movies spoofing the stories movies tell, and the way they tell them.  I recommend it when you get a chance.

Diomede said:

Dragons and Bees.

Relation to Challenges.  I began work on an animation for the current Carrara Challenge.  Very rough entry.  Ugh.  It is so rough that I almost did not enter it.  Here,  I will be posting additional progress, updates, edits, etc. over the next couple of months because I think it is a good idea and a fun project overall. Several WIPs of assets and workflows are in the Challenge 63 WIP thread here.  https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/578331/carrara-challenge-63-there-be-dragons-wip/p1

The story.  The title, Dragons and Bees, is a play on Birds and Bees.  The story idea is a very simple and common structure with many cliches.  Boy meets girl.  Boy loses girl.  Boy and girl reunite. 

Other ways that storytelling has been characterized include The Hero's Journey, The Virgin's Promise, Save the Cat, and the Big Lie.  But despite a hopefully familiar structure, my story Dragon and Bees is not those.  It is not Joseph Campbell's common Hero's Journey like Star Wars, despite obvious parallels.  For example, the protagonists will actively avoid the cave despite being told to enter.  Nor is it the equally common Virgin's Promise.  The protagonists will not already have inherent power that society is suppressing; rather, the protagonists will have to practice, train, develop, and apply skills that society has always encouraged the protagonists to pursue.  The storyline will save no cats; instead, cats will have symbiotic relations with dragons' desolate biosystem and must not be saved. There will be something thought to 'The Big Lie,' something society promotes as true but the protagonists 'learn' is not true, but it will turn out that thousands of years of society had good reasons to believe 'The Big Lie' is true - because the 'Big Lie' is not in fact a big lie. 

Status.  The animation Dragon and Bees entered in Challenge 63 has no bees.  Woe is me. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will be posting some updates in this No One Asked Me thread after the challenge voting is complete.

Great effort even if there were no bees !!!

edited September 2022

Thanks for a very inspiring Dragon theme, Bunyip, and the extra time.  

And thanks to ed3D for the link to www.soundimage.org.

soundimage dot org royalty free stuff.jpg
    1011 x 956 - 194K
    edited October 2022

Using Marvelous Designer to Create Clothing for Genesis 1 in Carrara.

I have a walk through for using MD to create clothing for Genesis 1 in my Art Studio thread.  It is really for Genesis 9 in Studio but it also applied to genesis 1 in Carrara.

It starts here.  https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/7729546/#Comment_7729546

The announced Genesis 9 will be using a unigender base mesh similar to how Genesis 1 was structured.  As a result, I am revisiting my workflow for Genesis 1, which is fully compatible with Carrara.  I have an old version of Marvelous Designer from before they went subscription so you might have to adjust depending on which verison you use, or if you get a 30 day trial of the newest version.  In the last test for DForce, just substitute the VWD 'nail' function for setting the DForce dynamic to zero and should get similar results.

cc47 applied a pose and dforce to skirt.jpg
    1036 x 907 - 132K
    Bryce Included in Challenge Signatures.jpg
    800 x 119 - 49K
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921

ah is there nothing you cannot do Diomede :)

Love the Paris when it sizzles intro

edited November 2022

Thanks for the kind thought.  Have several silly projects competing for my time and one significant project.  I should really focus on the significant project.  Somehow, silly tends to win out.

Challenges Signature Oct 2022.jpg
    581 x 119 - 39K
    Groucho Signature.jpg
    800 x 100 - 11K
    edited November 2022

Modeling and Rigging Simple Shirt for Genesis 9 in Carrara

Genesis 9 can be converted and saved as a character reset for use in Carrara.  These posts will show how to model a very simple shirt around the Genesis 9 base.  It will also show how to use Daz Studio's transfer utility to do a smple rigging of the garment.

test render.jpg
    800 x 600 - 19K
    edited November 2022

Saving Genesis 9 as a Character Preset

- Open Daz Studio and load Genesis 9.  Delete the extras like the eyebrows, mouth, etc.

- Select Genesis 9 and use the edit menu to convert to blended weight.  

- Use the file menu to save Genesis 9 blended as a character preset.  Note the location.

- I have a file folder in Presets Character labeled G9 Base Blended which has blended versions of the base figure, eyes, mouth, etc.

edited November 2022

Load Genesis 9 Dummy in Carrara

- Close Studio and Open Carrara

- Navigate to your saved Genesis 9 character preset and load in Carrara

aa01 load g9 base blended in Carrara.jpg
    2440 x 1344 - 400K
    edited November 2022

Insert a vertex object and set to a cylinder

- use the insert menu, or drag/drop the wire globe into the scene to create a new vertex object

- the vertex modeling room will open and be empty

- use the construct menu to insert a 3d cylinder to start

- notice yellow lines at top and bottom those are creased edges

- use the model menu to smooth all edges

aa02 vertex object.jpg
    1108 x 591 - 79K
    aa03 vertex object globe.jpg
    138 x 163 - 8K
    aa04 empty modeling room opens.jpg
    2463 x 1201 - 244K
    aa05 construct insert 3d cylinder.jpg
    958 x 700 - 62K
    aa06 use dialogue to set one foot by one foot.jpg
    1210 x 897 - 87K
    aa07 result is a red cylnder with yellow cap and bottom.jpg
    1428 x 1186 - 118K
    aa08 use model menu to smooth the edges.jpg
    1222 x 1144 - 142K
    edited November 2022

Delete the Caps

- click off the model to deselect all

- click on the cap to select it

- use delete key to delete the selection cap

- repeat to delete the bottom

aa09 click off the cylinder to deselect all.jpg
    1417 x 1198 - 106K
    aa10 click on cap to select it.jpg
    1285 x 1212 - 102K
    aa11 delete the cap.jpg
    1215 x 1114 - 84K
    aa12 select and delete the bottom.jpg
    1146 x 1113 - 96K
    edited November 2022

Return to Assemble Room and Start Vertex Modeling Around G9 Dummy

- See Cylinder is in assemble room with name vertex object

-with vertex object selected in lower right properties tray,click the wrench in the upper left 

- cylinder will appear as its mesh in the assemble room

- double click on any polygon to select the whole cylinder mesh

aa13 return to assemble room hand icon upper right.jpg
    1702 x 1288 - 218K
    aa14 click wrench upperleft withvertex object selected to start model in assemble room.jpg
    2419 x 1315 - 317K
    aa15 cylinder becomes mesh.jpg
    2044 x 1207 - 252K
    aa16 duble click any polygon mesh to select all or use edit select all.jpg
    871 x 889 - 84K
    edited November 2022

General Manipulation of Selected Polygons

- the manipulation tools are along the left side menu

- the move/translation tool looks like an arrow point.  When move tool is operational, the manipulator gizmo will appear as a set of arrows.  Click select an arrow to drag the selection along chosen axis.

- the scale tool appears as two triangles facing away from each other.  When scale is operational, the manipulator appears as a cube and the handle ends become cubes.  Click and drag to scale in axis direction.

- the rotate tool appears as a curved arrow.  When rotate is oprational, the manipulator appears as circles.  Click and drag a circle to rotate selection in axis direction.

- The universal manipulator looks like a planet with rings.  As name implies, the gizmo manipulator has icons for each of move, scale,and rotate.  

aa21 universal manipulator has all arrow cube and circle.jpg
    1719 x 1012 - 188K
    edited November 2022

General Tools for Selecting and Deselecting 

- The top menu has a selection menu

- The upper right properties area has a selection mode and selection tools

- if you select a vertex, edge, or polygon, then the lower right properties tray has additional options

aa17 use arrows to translate.jpg
    924 x 940 - 97K
    aa18 move toolis translate.jpg
    1570 x 868 - 153K
    aa19 scale tool box around selection with cube manipulators.jpg
    1585 x 963 - 170K
    aa20 rotate tool circles.jpg
    1636 x 948 - 173K
    aa21 universal manipulator has all arrow cube and circle.jpg
    1719 x 1012 - 188K
    aa22 selection menu.jpg
    1294 x 849 - 121K
    aa24 selection options in model area of lower right properties tray.jpg
    1129 x 826 - 117K
    aa23 selection mode and selection tools.jpg
    1194 x 633 - 106K
    edited November 2022

Enable Symmetry

- at least one item must be selected to bring up the lower right model menu

- check the box for symmetry

- there are options for which axis to preserve symmetry: x, y, or z

- default is x, which is what is wanted here

- see selection mirror with off color across symmetry axis.  symmetry axis appears as green outline of a plane

aa25 enable symmetry.jpg
    1608 x 1074 - 188K

Awesome Diomede !!!

edited November 2022

Roughly Align Cylinder to G9 Torso and Neck/Spine

- double click any polygon on mesh to select whole mesh or go to top menu and use Edit : Select All or use hot key Control A

- use manipulator tools move,scale, rotate on left side to get the mesh to the rough size of the upper torso

- move/translate the cylinder backwards so the middle aligns better with the g9 neck/spine

- just rough, no need to be perfect yet

- try to keep the mesh low res in the beginning (not many polygons)

aa26 doubleclick mesh to select all then use translate and scale tools to roughly fit cylender mesh around g9 upper torso.jpg
    1497 x 1048 - 179K
    aa27 use translate forward back so middleof cylinder align better with neck and spine.jpg
    1279 x 1042 - 143K
  • This looks pretty epic!

To save steps, I'm wondering if it is possible to simply start with a basic shirt object made in Carrara that can be then adjusted accordingly.  I think that Stezza does something similar by providing a basic character shape to help people get started in making characters.

That said, I know that I still need more modeling skills to get any basic shape to the next level.

edited November 2022

Keep getting bumped off with forum access errors.  Argh.  Thanks, Bunyip and UB, for the feedback.  No saving steps. This won't be just for current regulars.  Want to be able to point random person to it in the future for any related question.  This will make a starter shirt in addition to illustrating some basics.   

I have the screenshots all the way through creating shading domains, UVmapping, and checking with a checkerboard shader.  Just a matter of posting them while the forum is acting up.

edited November 2022

Select Top Edge, then Loop, Then Scale Toward Neck

- Click off of the modelanywhere in scene to deselect all

- Click to select one horizontal edge along top of mesh.  Notice symmetry selects corresponding edge, which is slightly darker swlwct color.

- Click 'Loop' in upper right properties area under selection tools

- notice the entire top edge is now selected with the bright selection color

- Click scale tool in upper left tool bar.  A square is outlined around the selection.

- click and hold toselect the front line of the scale square and drag toward the neck.  The whole front of the selected oval moves.

- Repeat for backby selecting and dragging the rear scale edge toward back of the neck

aa28 click off the model to deselect all.jpg
    2500 x 1071 - 277K
    aa29 click to select one top edge and notice symmetry.jpg
    2475 x 1234 - 317K
    aa30 clickloop in upper right selection tools.jpg
    769 x 574 - 65K
    aa31 see wholetopring is loop selected.jpg
    1530 x 1099 - 182K
    aa32 click scale tool and see scale options one is the front edge of a square.jpg
    1266 x 745 - 112K
    aa33 grab front of square scaleand pushdrag toward front of neck.jpg
    1384 x 1171 - 169K
    aa34 repeat for back of neck.jpg
    1491 x 985 - 159K
    edited November 2022

Repeat For Other Edge Loops

- select a horizontal edge in the second row.

- loop the second row with upper right loop button

- use the scale tool click and drag front of square outline toward the chest

- repeat the click drag scale for back of second row

- repeat for all rows in front - rough fit is OK

- repeat for allrows in back

aa36 select an edge in second row.jpg
    1539 x 1108 - 182K
    aa37 loopthe second row.jpg
    2095 x 754 - 186K
    aa38 scale front in.jpg
    1633 x 1107 - 192K
    aa38 scale front in.jpg
    1633 x 1107 - 192K
    aa39 scale back.jpg
    1528 x 1072 - 170K
    aa40 repeat for front.jpg
    1678 x 1053 - 184K
    aa41 repeat scale loops for back.jpg
    1485 x 1036 - 160K
    edited November 2022

Select Individual Points, Edges, and Polygons then Pull Outside G9 Dummy

- select the front middle edge of the mesh then use the move tool Y axis to push it closer to the torso

- Repeat the process of selecting portins of the lesh and using the translate tools to pull them out of the mesh,or push closer to the mesh.

- Do not worry about being exact at this stage.  Just get roughly good fit.  Will smooth later.

aa42 select middle front edges and adjust to shape.jpg
    1675 x 1117 - 184K
    aa43 select edges in back and adjust.jpg
    1585 x 1311 - 168K
    aa44 select edges and points and bring outside of g9 mesh.jpg
    1846 x 1222 - 184K
    aa45 select point and bring outside mesh.jpg
    1852 x 1291 - 194K
    aa46 another point.jpg
    1953 x 1254 - 203K
    aa47 select side polygon and translate to side x.jpg
    1902 x 1246 - 199K
    aa48 just keepselecting and moving outside mesh.jpg
    1804 x 1234 - 206K
    aa49 repeat back and side.jpg
    1485 x 1236 - 149K
    edited November 2022

After Selecting Edges, Use Bridge Tool to Connect Shoulder Top

- to use the bridge tool, first select two edges that are across from each other.  See selected edges front and back shoulder in this screenshot

- then in the top menu bar click the bridge tool.  The bridge tool is clicked after the edges are selected.

- a polygon will be extended connecting the selected edges.  A menu in the upper right offers options, including for number of segments.

- another way to change the number of segments on the bridge is to use your keyboard plus or minus keys.

- see in this screenshot that I increased the number of segments so that there are three polygons (two edges) to make up the bridge

aa50 select aan edge in front and back correspond.jpg
    1335 x 1077 - 126K
    aa51 bridge tool.jpg
    271 x 214 - 8K
    aa52 can use plus or use upper right segments to get extra lines.jpg
    2068 x 1228 - 214K
    aa53 bridged shoulder.jpg
    1960 x 1237 - 191K
    edited November 2022

Fill the Open Shoulder Gap and then use Link Tool for Quads

- Will now fill the gap between bridge and the end of the oval

- Select the inner edges of the hole.  Can do so by selecting one inner edge and hitting loop.  Or can slect one edge, hold shift while clicking other edges.

- use the top menu Model : Fill Polygon and the hole will be filled.  Unfortunately, the result is not a quad because it does not have exactly 4 points. In this case too many.

- The result has too many points on a single polygon.  In general, try to use 4-sided polygons (quads).  Sometimes 3-sided are OK.  But 5 or more (n-gons) are bad.

- Will convert this 6-sided polygon to two 4-sided polygons (quads) by connecting a line between two points.

- Deselect all (click empty space away from the model).  Then click one point and shift-select second so two points of 6-sided are selected as per picture.

-Use the top menu Model : Link to connect the select vertexes.  The result is two quads.

- Great.  Can zoom out and confirm that because checked the symmetry box earlier the changes have been mirrored toother shoulder.

aa54 select all open gap.jpg
    1213 x 1051 - 122K
    aa55 model fill polygon or control f.jpg
    772 x 1068 - 92K
    aa56 result fill polygon.jpg
    1380 x 1057 - 122K
    aa57 select two polygons.jpg
    1057 x 945 - 108K
    aa58 link polygons.jpg
    790 x 1104 - 91K
    aa59 result linked polygon.jpg
    1318 x 1021 - 127K
    aa60 see symmetry did for other shoulder.jpg
    1888 x 1164 - 183K
    edited November 2022

Shape and Extrude Collar

- Select and move the points around the open neck to get a rough oval shape.  In general, move further away at this point because will add an inner ring

- to begin the inner ring, first select an inner edge

- use the Loop function in upper right to select all of the edges around the neck hole

- the next step will be to use the dynamic extrusion tool which is found along the top menu.  Click the extrude tool and a menu will appear on right side properties tray

- click to check the box to link polygons in the extrusion results

- holding the control key, click and drag the edge you want to extrude.  The control key constrain the extrusion perpendicular.  You could instead hold the shift ky while extruding to constrain the extrude in the same plane as the selected edge.  Or for complete freedom, you can click and drag without either control or shift.

- The result created a new ring of polygons around the neck.

- Use the selection, move, and scale tools to shape the collar to the figure mesh.

aa61 shape collar t be oval lower front than back.jpg
    1857 x 1306 - 221K
    aa62 select individualedge along collar.jpg
    2467 x 1204 - 297K
    aa63 loop toolin upper right.jpg
    739 x 552 - 60K
    aa64 result is looparound collar.jpg
    1387 x 1027 - 131K
    aa65 top menu dynamic extrusion tool.jpg
    817 x 531 - 43K
    aa66 properties tray for extrusion tool check link polygons for extrusion.jpg
    661 x 706 - 68K
    aa67 extrude up.jpg
    1072 x 910 - 88K
    aa68 shapeextruded edges arund neck.jpg
    1407 x 1123 - 136K
    edited November 2022

Create Shading Domain for Collar

- select two adjacent polygons around the neck (shift-click to select multiple).

- Use the loop selection mode to extend the selection around the entire neck ring

- With neck ring selected, use shading domain drop down menu to create a new shading domain in lower right box

- Name the new shading domain 'collar'

aa69 select two adjacent polygons on neck by holding shift select.jpg
    1501 x 1087 - 141K
    aa70 loop tool.jpg
    616 x 553 - 49K
    aa71 loop selects polygons around neck.jpg
    1168 x 948 - 101K
    aa72 create new shading domain.jpg
    2008 x 967 - 179K
    aa73 collar shading domain.jpg
    2109 x 1231 - 258K
    edited November 2022

Shape Torso Around Armpits to Prepare Sleeve Hole

- Will use the same principles to create seams for sleeves.  Create an arm hole larger than needed.  Round the shape somewhat. Extrude for polygon loop.

- First, begin creating rounded hole around armpit.  But square right now.  So bisect one side polygon to two triangles and add a vertex in middle to preserve quads.  Start this process by selecting two corner vertexes of a side polygon near the side of chest and front of armpit.

- Link the vertexes to convert square to two triangles.

- Add vertex to the middle of the new diagonal.  The add vertex toolis on upper menu.

- use move/translate tool to move the vertex outside the figure.

- use shift-select to select all of the polygons in the armpit

- Delete to create a hole.

- There are two stray polygons at the top of the shoulder.  Select and delete those as well.

- The result is a side hole through which the arm extends.

aa74 select 2 points at armpit.jpg
    1813 x 1219 - 180K
    aa75 model link.jpg
    1585 x 1180 - 169K
    aa76 add vertex tool at top menu.jpg
    1336 x 1156 - 122K
    aa77 add vertex to new line and pull out from mesh.jpg
    1495 x 1095 - 148K
    aa78 select polygons in armpit.jpg
    1513 x 1146 - 151K
    aa79 select extra polys at top shoulder.jpg
    1429 x 1204 - 156K