3D Comic Book Tips And Pictures

Comments

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,795

Thanks a lot for sharing! That's great to see how you go about preparing the pages, since at some point I need to turn my scroll down format into pages and when that happens it's good to know what requirements I need to make it ready to print at the same time

• Chuck, thank you for taking the time to write up that detailed response regarding your print-on-demand (POD) workflow. There are some real nuggets in there, and I especially like how you handle the text sizing in the word balloons. Also, thank you for all the tips regarding resolution, file sizes and how to work with the Kindle Comic Creator (KCC) app. Lots of great info all-around!

• Happy to help, robertswww, and Linwelly.

• csaacsaa Posts: 812
    edited November 2022

Sgt. Andrea: By the Alabaster Steps | Daz assets | Blender Eevee render | Clip Studio Paint post-edit

Another one off panel. Trying my hand at combining multiple render styles. Once again, the text is just for context and mood.

Thanks for your interest.

Cheers!

Post edited by csaa on
  • NIcely done, csaa. I'd say the style and mood test was successful.

Space Viking said:

NIcely done, csaa. I'd say the style and mood test was successful.

Space Viking,

Thanks for the generous feedback! I'm at the stage when I'm exploring different art styles using Daz and Blender. Mostly I post to the NPR thread which is mainly about techniques. When I have a render that has a smidge of a story to it, then I share to this comic arts thread.

I try not to feel pressured to put out a comic series. While I have some stories sloshing around in the old noggin, I'd like to take my sweet time to get the visuals right. There's still a lot to learn.

Cheers!

edited November 2022

Sgts. Cleo & Inez: Jump Off Point | Daz assets | Blender Eevee render | Clip Studio Paint post-edit

Post edited by csaa on
  • Now we're cooking. Been waiting to see when you get the pages stage. 

I have some early suggestions. Let me know if you care to hear them.

It's rather rude to just jump in and start offering opinions when they haven't been asked for. lol

I think "tigger" is supposed to be trigger.

So far, so good!

Griffin Avid said:

Now we're cooking. Been waiting to see when you get the pages stage. 

I have some early suggestions. Let me know if you care to hear them.

It's rather rude to just jump in and start offering opinions when they haven't been asked for. lol

So far, so good!

Griffin Avid,

Thank you for the kind feedback and the vote of confidence! laugh

Once again, though, I feel the need to set people's expectations. Most of my work will remain one-off. It'll be a stretch for me to post more than one comic panel at a time. At this stage I'm motivated to explore different art styles, to build a better vocabulary, so to speak, to express story ideas. It'll be a looooong while before I venture to put out any comicbook strip.

That's not to say I don't appreciate the encouragement -- in fact I do. I just wish that more folks would share their work to this thread. I don't like to hog the attention. It's hard being the lonely goldfiish swimming in the aquarium.

Cheers!

Griffin Avid said:

To put another spin on the word "trigger" I watch anime production videos as much as I can. Today I caught another in NHK World-Japan's series on the topic, this one is about TRIGGER, the animation studio behind Cyberpunk Edgerunners. Here's the article with the embedded video. Hopeuflly the mods won't deep six that link.

Many would say that comparing animation to comicbooks is an apples-to-oranges affair. But what draws me to these productions notes is the chance to glimpse how animators use light, body language and camera framing to convey emotion. It's also an opportunity to learn how they work the rhythm of a story sequence through their storyboards. When we stop the animation sequence, what we get is the emotion of a moment in one frame, the basic unit in a comic strip. And as the best animation studios pack a punch in that single frame, I argue that there's a lot to learn which can go to producing interesting comics.

Cheers!

Sgt. Inez: Roadshow Attraction | Daz assets & set up | Blender Eevee render | Clip Studio Paint post-edit

• Some really interesting posts here and an awesome selection of different art styles used which is really inspiring. We too (i say my brother and i) have a new comic book hopefully ready to release in the next 10 days (definitely before the holidays) on Amazon which we're really excited about. Its a brand new sci-fi story all rendered in 3DL (still trying to work on how to make Iray look more appealing in comic book form as that uncanny Valley look is too jarring at the moment). Thanks for the tips Chuck regarding the guided view on the Amazon app. The Amazon comic creator is a fantastic tool to be able to get stuff out there which we used on the Twilight of the Gods: Medusa series but never tried it in the guided view that comixology uses. Will have to give that a go one day Thanks again
    edited December 2022

Jay Jay,

I saw your Amazon page for the Twilight of the Gods comic book, as well as the old Kickstarter video. It looks impressive and I have no doubt you poured your heart into it. Just want to wish you the best in your upcoming project. Oh, and please share some of the images in this forum too.

Cheers!

Jay Jay said:

Some really interesting posts here and an awesome selection of different art styles used which is really inspiring. We too (i say my brother and i) have a new comic book hopefully ready to release in the next 10 days (definitely before the holidays) on Amazon which we're really excited about. Its a brand new sci-fi story all rendered in 3DL (still trying to work on how to make Iray look more appealing in comic book form as that uncanny Valley look is too jarring at the moment). Thanks for the tips Chuck regarding the guided view on the Amazon app. The Amazon comic creator is a fantastic tool to be able to get stuff out there which we used on the Twilight of the Gods: Medusa series but never tried it in the guided view that comixology uses. Will have to give that a go one day Thanks again

Post edited by csaa on
  • csaa said:

Jay Jay,

I saw your Amazon page for the Twilight of the Gods comic book, as well as the old Kickstarter video. It looks impressive and I have no doubt you poured your heart into it. Just want to wish you the best in your upcoming project. Oh, and please share some of the images in this forum too.

Cheers!

Jay Jay said:

Some really interesting posts here and an awesome selection of different art styles used which is really inspiring. We too (i say my brother and i) have a new comic book hopefully ready to release in the next 10 days (definitely before the holidays) on Amazon which we're really excited about. Its a brand new sci-fi story all rendered in 3DL (still trying to work on how to make Iray look more appealing in comic book form as that uncanny Valley look is too jarring at the moment). Thanks for the tips Chuck regarding the guided view on the Amazon app. The Amazon comic creator is a fantastic tool to be able to get stuff out there which we used on the Twilight of the Gods: Medusa series but never tried it in the guided view that comixology uses. Will have to give that a go one day Thanks again

Hi Cssa, thank you very much for checking out our Amazon page and thank you for the kind words. Its been a huge project but its been so much fun. All being well it will be out next week ready for the holidays after we had to make some last minute edits! Here's a couple of shots of what it's looking like! Thanks again
    H-00.png
    790 x 1260 - 1M
    You missing picture.png
    800 x 450 - 629K

Midweek comic panel. Because some of us need motivation to make it to the weekend. smiley

Cheers!

Sgt. Inez: The Heist | Daz assets | Blender Eevee Render | Clip Studio Paint post-edit

• Jay Jay said:

Thanks for the tips Chuck regarding the guided view on the Amazon app. The Amazon comic creator is a fantastic tool to be able to get stuff out there which we used on the Twilight of the Gods: Medusa series but never tried it in the guided view that comixology uses. Will have to give that a go one day Thanks again.

Happy to help, Jay Jay. But I'm rethinking Amazon for self-publishing comics. Now I'm researching Webtoons, as that's more the audience, and ComiXology is currently going through some turbulent times that make it even harder for inependents to be discovered. Webtoons is more open to different genres, and approaches. 

Best of luck to you.

• 3WC3WC Posts: 1,094

Looking for a suggestion re: multiple speech balloons.

As you can see in the picture, the person on the right speaks first (I can't flip the art because they are this way in every other panel, so would break continuity), then the left person speaks, then right person resumes. Because of the layout and the room I have, it seems awkward for balloon tail and the connecting tail to be so close together. Is this ok, or is there a way to fix this? What do you think?

BALLOON PROBLEM.png
    1040 x 1158 - 78K
  • Xandyr78Xandyr78 Posts: 100

3WC said:

As you can see in the picture, the person on the right speaks first (I can't flip the art because they are this way in every other panel, so would break continuity), then the left person speaks, then right person resumes. Because of the layout and the room I have, it seems awkward for balloon tail and the connecting tail to be so close together. Is this ok, or is there a way to fix this? What do you think?

I don't see anything wrong with what you have here; it reads perfectly well.  I understand feeling that the two tails are a bit close, but I don't think it obstructs what you're doing.  If you really want to muck around with it, maybe try moving the tail similarly to this?

Suggestion.png
    1040 x 1158 - 53K

Thanks. I think I would rather have the tail pointed to her mouth rather than her head, though. If you think it is fine otherwise, I might just leave it.

• Xandyr78Xandyr78 Posts: 100
    edited February 2023

3WC said:

Thanks. I think I would rather have the tail pointed to her mouth rather than her head, though. If you think it is fine otherwise, I might just leave it.

I totally get that, and if that's the case, I think you can just leave it, as you said.  It works fine.  You might consider making the weight of the stroke on the speech balloons a bit thinner, as that'd create more space between the speech tail and the connecting tail, as well.

Post edited by Xandyr78 on
  • 3WC said:

@3WC If you are limited on headroom in your panel, then the way you presented your speech balloon chain will work. But, ideally you want the chain of balloons above the character's head and the last balloon to have the tail pointed at the character's mouth (pointing to the head is generally reserved for thought balloons).

A good example is on page 5 of this explanatory PDF:
    https://bdnf.bnf.fr/EN/fiches/8.%20Speech%20Bubbles.pdf

Another option to consider would be to shorten the amount of dialogue from the character on the right, or break up the character's dialogue into multiple panels.

Yes, it is a pretty dense couple of pages of conversation. Maybe I can move some of the text, but certain text has to go with the accompanying body language and facial expressions for it to make any sense.

It is funny, I have done a few comic pages, and the one that has been most challenging so far is just two people talking. :D

3WC said:

3WC,

If those speech bubbles towards the bottom are impactful, you could also embed a new frame at the lower right, with a headshot/close-up render of the character on the right. The text then would be split between the two panels. More oomph that way. 

Cheers!

I was actually able to move the final speech bubble to the next frame, so it freed up some space and I could move the tail to the last balloon in line. Thanks!

Fletcher: Cornered but Unbowed | Daz assets | Blender Eevee render | Clip Studio Paint post-edit

edited March 2023

An old set of panels I dug out after restoring from my back up drive. Something about the ladies having a candid conversation at a rooftop deck at their headquarters. I think at the time I was intent on the background, playing around with Clip Studio Paint's convert-to-lines-and-tones feature. A very useful feature, if you ask me. The urbanscape came from a Pixabay image. Recenty I updated the dialog.

Cheers!

Sgts. Andrea, Cleo & Inez: The Public Trust | Daz assets | Blender Eevee render | Clip Studio Paint post-edit

Post edited by csaa on

The Regeneracy (Title Page) | Daz assets | Blender Eevee render | Clip Studio Paint post-edit

• vrba79vrba79 Posts: 1,297

Been slowly, but surely getting my next comic project off the ground.

• MartirillaMartirilla Posts: 172

Space Viking said:

My basic Print-on-Demand Workflow (POD), (assuming you don't need the "How I make a Comic" workflow, only the "get it to market" workflow) is this:

[EDIT] At this point I buy a copy, download it and look at it in the ComiXology app

Thanks for the workflow. I understand that ComiXology explicitly ban all Daz / Poser-made comics from their store, though? It's in their terms of service. Has that changed? Or is getting onto Amazon Kindle first a way to then get listed in their dedicated comics-buying apps?

• Since ComiXology is basically shutting down, it's probably not a place to look anymore.