3D Comic Book Tips And Pictures

13233343537

Comments

  • 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,087

    Geminii23 said:

    Wow!  So many inspirational posts in this thread.  I'm primarily a screenwriter but used DAZ to storyboard my latest film project and it was a lot of fun.  I'm now exploring the possibilty of turning one or two of my scripts into comics or graphic novels.  I already have most of the tools necessary (Photoshop, Comic Life 3, CSP) but it all feels so overwhelming and daunting.  Especially figuring out how to achieve that perfect inked comic look and style.  One of my fellow screenwriting friends is working on a horror comic series, but he partnered up with an artist and just sticks to writing.  Does everyone here write their own stuff or do any of you collaborate with writers and focus on the art side?

    I write my own stuff, but it's pretty difficult for me. I definitely prefer to work on the art side of it. lol

  • juvesatrianijuvesatriani Posts: 490

    Geminii23 said:

    Wow!  So many inspirational posts in this thread.  I'm primarily a screenwriter but used DAZ to storyboard my latest film project and it was a lot of fun.  I'm now exploring the possibilty of turning one or two of my scripts into comics or graphic novels.  I already have most of the tools necessary (Photoshop, Comic Life 3, CSP) but it all feels so overwhelming and daunting.  Especially figuring out how to achieve that perfect inked comic look and style.  One of my fellow screenwriting friends is working on a horror comic series, but he partnered up with an artist and just sticks to writing.  Does everyone here write their own stuff or do any of you collaborate with writers and focus on the art side?

    I`ve been using/learning ( and still in learning phase right now )   poser and daz with goal to help my dream creating comic or sequential art come true , just because i dont have manual drawing skill  . 

    Sadly In the end , my stories get abandoned  right now ! LOL , I`m like you and always hope someday some artist decide to partnering with me 

  • FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 5,895

    I was a writer first, then started dabbling in art later.  Creative people need to create,  the medium may shift but the constant process of filling the blank page or canvas,  never does. 

  • chicago1921chicago1921 Posts: 52

    csaa said:

     

    Yet another comic panel I plan to share in my D&D campaign. When he's not adventuring with the rest of the party, Bernard the dwarf works on a personal vendetta against a rival thieves guild. The backstory is that years ago the guild struck at Bernard's clan, stealing their prized heirlooms. Aside from settling scores with poison and knives, Bernard is on a mission to collect the scattered treasure and redeem his clan's honor.

    Thanks for your interest. Cheers!

     

    Sorry I'm late!

     

    I'm following your comic's journey and I really appreciate the way you're using the DAZ Shaders and above all how you are using all of the comic's camera angles, especially those with the "No-background", not easy to work with due to the lighting on DAZ.

     

  • chicago1921chicago1921 Posts: 52

    juvesatriani said:

    Geminii23 said:

    Wow!  So many inspirational posts in this thread.  I'm primarily a screenwriter but used DAZ to storyboard my latest film project and it was a lot of fun.  I'm now exploring the possibilty of turning one or two of my scripts into comics or graphic novels.  I already have most of the tools necessary (Photoshop, Comic Life 3, CSP) but it all feels so overwhelming and daunting.  Especially figuring out how to achieve that perfect inked comic look and style.  One of my fellow screenwriting friends is working on a horror comic series, but he partnered up with an artist and just sticks to writing.  Does everyone here write their own stuff or do any of you collaborate with writers and focus on the art side?

    I`ve been using/learning ( and still in learning phase right now )   poser and daz with goal to help my dream creating comic or sequential art come true , just because i dont have manual drawing skill  . 

    Sadly In the end , my stories get abandoned  right now ! LOL , I`m like you and always hope someday some artist decide to partnering with me 

    That's interesting, and it's true, I'm still looking for the best "postwork" process on PSD and by on by I'm getting close, what's the most important it's confident and with help from other DAZ's users it's better, that's reason I'm always here despite lack of time.

    Has someone tried the DAZ's "Filament" viewport?

    Last month I discovered it since I changed my old laptop for a computer with 32GB RAM, I tried some Filament render on PSd and looks like interesting, isn't Iray render but good to play with. 

  • chicago1921chicago1921 Posts: 52
    edited March 15

     

    Here's a funny comic's page on a project I was working on before paused last month.

    Postwork was done with PSD, long postwork process using the basic Viewport render engine (the old BasicOpenGL from DAZ).

     

     

     

     

    Page_1.jpg
    1240 x 1754 - 2M
    Page_2.jpg
    1240 x 1754 - 2M
    Post edited by chicago1921 on
  • 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,087
    edited March 18

    chicago1921 said:

     

    Here's a funny comic's page on a project I was working on before paused last month.

    Postwork was done with PSD, long postwork process using the basic Viewport render engine (the old BasicOpenGL from DAZ).

     

    It's really cool that you're getting that effect with OpenGL! Nicely done!

    Post edited by 3Diva on
  • chicago1921chicago1921 Posts: 52

    3Diva said:

    chicago1921 said:

     

    Here's a funny comic's page on a project I was working on before paused last month.

    Postwork was done with PSD, long postwork process using the basic Viewport render engine (the old BasicOpenGL from DAZ).

     

     

    It's really cool that you're getting that effect with OpenGL! Nicely done!

    Thanks! Only photoshop postwork with 7000px render can made possible such effects, I tried with Iray render, unfortunately, too much realistic for cartoon-comic aspect.

  • juvesatrianijuvesatriani Posts: 490
    edited March 23

    Did you ever see this comic/sequential art site ? This really cool guys . Not sure how responsive mode work though 

    Be aware there is NSFW/nudity image in last page

    Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 5,895

    I didn't read the zombie story,  but the presentation and the motion graphics on the comic panels is very professional looking. The art style is crisp and violent with a bit of humor. Seems like a quality high end production from a team that knows what its doing.

  • junkjunk Posts: 837

    Hey FirstBastian!  I am trying the 30 day trial of the Comic Life program and what a fun and easy to use program.  I appreciate you spending your time giving advice on this and other comic related items.  Anyways here's my first comic page with that software.

    Hell Hath No Fury Part 2
    LINK TO THE GALLERY IMAGE

  • GordigGordig Posts: 6,570

    I'm guessing you meant "thump and crunch sound". Looks great otherwise.

  • FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 5,895

    junk said:

      Anyways here's my first comic page with that software.


     

     

    Excellent, you have entered a brave new world. Your art style will fit perfectly into Graphic Novel format. It will be interesting to watch this develop.

     

    The art looks great. (really minor observation,  rose petals are floating off ground in 3rd panel)

    One thing that is always important to consider is the Panel Flow of the sequential art page. Left to right and from the top downward.  You may want to consider figuring out a way to place the "crush" of the necklace  to the right side and below the "dangling necklace" image.  Same images just in a different panel layout.

    There are entire webpages and books dedicated to comicbook Panel Layouts and Flow.  Tthere are two flows.  The overall timing page flow and the action within a panel flow.  You want to be aware of how your audience will be reading the page and in which order.

    comicpanelflow.jpg
    740 x 558 - 149K
  • junkjunk Posts: 837

    Gordig said:

    I'm guessing you meant "thump and crunch sound". Looks great otherwise.

    DOH!  You guessed it correctly Gordig.  Thank you for pointing that out. 

  • junkjunk Posts: 837

    FirstBastion said:

    junk said:

      Anyways here's my first comic page with that software.
     

     

    Excellent, you have entered a brave new world. Your art style will fit perfectly into Graphic Novel format. It will be interesting to watch this develop.

     

    The art looks great. (really minor observation,  rose petals are floating off ground in 3rd panel)

    One thing that is always important to consider is the Panel Flow of the sequential art page. Left to right and from the top downward.  You may want to consider figuring out a way to place the "crush" of the necklace  to the right side and below the "dangling necklace" image.  Same images just in a different panel layout.

    There are entire webpages and books dedicated to comicbook Panel Layouts and Flow.  Tthere are two flows.  The overall timing page flow and the action within a panel flow.  You want to be aware of how your audience will be reading the page and in which order.

    Excellent points and I did get lost in how I was going to do the flow.  You have made it easy with the two diagrams you sent.  Thank you!   Perhaps I'll print them out and have them on the wall just to keep it cemented in my mind.  Yeah the roses were frustrating me and I meant to edit it out rather than fix it in Daz Studio.  It was that I created so many instances and grouped them.  When I moved one, nine others moved at the same time.  :)  

  • FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 5,895

    I may havesuggested this book earlier in the thread,  but I'll add it again.  Understanding Comics by Scott McCloud

    https://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Comics-Invisible-Scott-McCloud/dp/006097625X

    its the kind of book that offers alot of aha moments of understanding when it comes to sequential art.  Highly recommended.

  • junk said:

    Hey FirstBastian!  I am trying the 30 day trial of the Comic Life program and what a fun and easy to use program.  I appreciate you spending your time giving advice on this and other comic related items.  Anyways here's my first comic page with that software.

    I
    LINK TO THE GALLERY IMAGE

     

    i found such a "comic life" program on my computer too, but i have no idea how to work with.

  • csaacsaa Posts: 332
    edited May 2

    chicago1921 - High contrast, skin tight clothing and salty language -- the galactic future never looked so good. Great work!

    junk - I've used Comic Life before. It was fun; the software never got in the way. As always, great imagery and storytelling! Hats off to you.

    3Diva - Below is another fragmentary set of images that I pulled together. It started with the motorbike. I ended up trying to explore the character's inner space. They're part of a larger narrative which ... I don't know if I'll ever complete.

    lorraineopua, MelissaGT - Some attempts at exploring the female gaze.

    Thanks for your interest.

    Cheers!

    Sgt. Inez: A Matter of Reverie | Daz assets and setup | Blender Eevee render | Clip Studio Paint post-edit.

     

    Post edited by csaa on
  • FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 5,895

    That looks good.  And reads so well.  Only had a slight problem reading that last line.  If that elbow was over a bit or a tad higher that last line would be unencumbered.

  • csaacsaa Posts: 332

    FirstBastion said:

    That looks good.  And reads so well.  Only had a slight problem reading that last line.  If that elbow was over a bit or a tad higher that last line would be unencumbered.

     FirstBastion. Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I could have found ways to clear the text on the lower right from the character's elboy.

    I've heard it said that illustrating the background in a comic panel is a task comic illustrators take to grudgingly. I think I've fallen into that as well. I've mostly been paying attention to manga, and the background there appear to be drawn only in passing -- suggestive shapes, low contrast lines and hues, more to capture light and shade of the scene. At least in the manga I've seen they appear so. It makes sense because it maintains the visual hierarchy, placing the important story elements in the foreground. Still, I would like to put in some form of background so that the panels don't look flat.

    Any sugestions?

    Cheers!

     

     

  • FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 5,895

    I actually like your minimalist style. Which you do so well. That puts the entire focus on the story, the characters,  and the art that is there. The high contrast black on white with just a hint of a color works very well,  be it a subtle blus for the sky in the image above or the passionate red lip gloss on Sgt. Inez. This is your unique style. Do not fall into a trap of thinking you need to change it to meet what others do. 

    You already have your style. Don't change it. Just tell your story and be confident in that choice.

  • TugpsxTugpsx Posts: 618

    FirstBastion said:

    I actually like your minimalist style. Which you do so well. That puts the entire focus on the story, the characters,  and the art that is there. The high contrast black on white with just a hint of a color works very well,  be it a subtle blus for the sky in the image above or the passionate red lip gloss on Sgt. Inez. This is your unique style. Do not fall into a trap of thinking you need to change it to meet what others do. 

    You already have your style. Don't change it. Just tell your story and be confident in that choice.

    I agree, you have a formula that's baked your special cookie. Be proud and continue on, we are all anxiously awaiting the rest of your story. 
    Thanks for sharing your inner creative mind with us. 

  • csaacsaa Posts: 332
    edited May 13

    Hopefully the caption below says it all.

    Longer Explanation: I realize one character, Sgt. Inez, has taken up a lot of my mental space. I thought I should spend more time on her partner, Sgt. Andrea, as well as Sgt. Cleo, their "back-office support" (her official designation: cyber warfare specialist).

    Thanks for your interest.

    Cheers!

    Sgts. Cleo & Andrea: Cornered but Unbowed | Daz assets and set up | Blender Eevee render | Clip Studio Paint post-edit

    Post edited by csaa on
  • csaacsaa Posts: 332

    Sgts. Andrea and Cleo: The Stand Off | Daz Studio assets | Blender Eevee render | Clip Studio Paint post-edit

     

  • 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,087
    edited June 5

    That is a great introduction to your comic! It came out looking good and the story has started well - giving us enough to start to worry about the safety of the characters. Nicely done!

    Post edited by 3Diva on
  • SapphireBlueSapphireBlue Posts: 409

    csaa As 3Diva said, this makes for a great intro to your comic. We're right in the action, but with details to fill in some back story and some characterization. I really like the BW, the variety in the panels, the camera angles and the introspective nature of the text. I'm not a comic person, but when I do read them, I prefer the more sentence-style text like you have. Great last panel with the silhouettes in the back. Nice work! smiley

  • csaacsaa Posts: 332

    SapphireBlue said:

    csaa As 3Diva said, this makes for a great intro to your comic. We're right in the action, but with details to fill in some back story and some characterization. I really like the BW, the variety in the panels, the camera angles and the introspective nature of the text. I'm not a comic person, but when I do read them, I prefer the more sentence-style text like you have. Great last panel with the silhouettes in the back. Nice work! smiley

     SapphireBlue, 3Diva,

    Thanks for the kind feedback! It was fun working on that. I learned a lot and uncovered the gaps in my skills. BTW the Easy Light and Render - Silhouette came in handy in making the last page. wink

    There's still a lot to learn and to try. I have a rough idea of the next installment. Perhaps telling it from Sgt. Cleo's point of view would make for an interesting change.

    Cheers!

     

  • FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 5,895

    The Standoff is a great opening sequence. And the the last panel has us concerned with what comes next. Well done.

  • 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,087

    csaa said:

    SapphireBlue said:

    csaa As 3Diva said, this makes for a great intro to your comic. We're right in the action, but with details to fill in some back story and some characterization. I really like the BW, the variety in the panels, the camera angles and the introspective nature of the text. I'm not a comic person, but when I do read them, I prefer the more sentence-style text like you have. Great last panel with the silhouettes in the back. Nice work! smiley

     SapphireBlue, 3Diva,

    Thanks for the kind feedback! It was fun working on that. I learned a lot and uncovered the gaps in my skills. BTW the Easy Light and Render - Silhouette came in handy in making the last page. wink

    There's still a lot to learn and to try. I have a rough idea of the next installment. Perhaps telling it from Sgt. Cleo's point of view would make for an interesting change.

    Cheers!

    I'm so glad to hear you're getting some use from the ELR - Silhouettes product!

  • csaacsaa Posts: 332

    A short comic strip. A bit of hand-to-hand combat; a bit of face-to-face chit chat; a bit of sass.

    Thanks for your interest.

    Cheers!

    Sgt. Inez: Going Supernova | Daz assets and set up | Blender Eevee render | Clip Studio Paint post-edit

Sign In or Register to comment.