DAZ Studio Pro BETA [Project Iradium] - version 4.8.0.4!

Comments

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,886
    edited December 1969

I'd be really curious to see how emitter-lit scenes compare to uberarealight-lit scenes, since the two features do fairly similar things. (Though in vastly different ways)

Maybe I'll experiment with that...

• RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460
    edited December 1969

Toyen said:
    Okay here´s the skin test:

Lighting setup is the same in both renders (2 mesh lights)

Left: AoA SSS
    Right: Iray Uber

There is not much difference other than AoA SSS skin feels a little bit warmer and Iray Uber has better looking glossy surfaces such as lips and the eyes.

And also Iray is a bit faster.

I stopped both renders at 83% (CPU only). AoA took 28 minutes and Iray Uber took 23 minutes.

I feel a much better test to see how good looking the skin can get would be to render the figure in a more natural environment with a good lighting setup to see how the lights will bounce and reflect from different surfaces back to the figure.

Infinite blank space isn´t very natural but I just wanted to quickly compare the two shaders.

When you see these two there seems to be little to choose between them. When I saw renders done with Lux the difference was night and day.

CHEERS!

• CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
    edited December 1969

Greetings,

Kerya said:
    Hardware question:
    Does somebody know whether I would get one of those 4GB Graphics cards that need two slots like this one:
    https://www.alternate.de/ASUS/ROG-STRIKER-GTX760-P-4GD5-Grafikkarte/html/product/1186048?tk=7&lk=8406
    on my mainboard?
    Mainboard: Asrock Fatal1ty P67 Performance

Alternately I am thinking about this one:
    https://www.alternate.de/EVGA/GeForce-GT-740-SuperClocked-4-GB-Grafikkarte/html/product/1144136?tk=7&lk=8408

While the first is probably more powerful, the second is exactly the card I went with. It should arrive this afternoon sometime, and hopefully I can install it tonight and try it out.

Good thing I keep a Windows box around as a render slave... ;)

-- Morgan

• CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
    edited December 1969

Greetings,

Rogerbee said:
    Toyen said:

There is not much difference other than AoA SSS skin feels a little bit warmer and Iray Uber has better looking glossy surfaces such as lips and the eyes.

I stopped both renders at 83% (CPU only). AoA took 28 minutes and Iray Uber took 23 minutes.

I feel a much better test to see how good looking the skin can get would be to render the figure in a more natural environment with a good lighting setup to see how the lights will bounce and reflect from different surfaces back to the figure.

Infinite blank space isn´t very natural but I just wanted to quickly compare the two shaders.

When you see these two there seems to be little to choose between them. When I saw renders done with Lux the difference was night and day.

CHEERS!I'm fairly confident that the two renders are using the same render engine, just different SSS shaders on the skin. That is 'Iray is a bit faster' means 'The Iray skin shader applied to the skin makes the render a bit faster.' If I'm wrong, I'm sure the author will let me know.

Note the 'I stopped both renders at 83% (CPU only)', which strongly implies both were done in the Iray renderer, as stopping a 3Delight render after 83% would look very different. :)

-- Morgan

• ToyenToyen Posts: 1,861
    edited December 1969

Yes fox, both were rendered in Iray, only the skin shader is different.

• NeilV_1NeilV_1 Posts: 442
    edited December 1969

maclean said:
    Two renders of my Classroom product.

First one is with sun-sky. Fairly straightforward. The only issue I had was positioning the sun. Doing it by hour should be pretty intuitive, but the results don't match up to what I'd expect. Maybe it's set to Utah time or some damned thing.

For the 2nd render, I applied an emitter to the ceiling lights. (Luckily I always build light panels with their own material). I set the temperature to 4900k and ramped the Luminance up to 40,000 (default is 5,000). Btw, this version rendered way faster than the first one.

One thing I have to say. The Iray preview is a life saver. If it wasn't there, I would spend hours doing useless renders. It's great to tweak the settings, then go to preview and see it.

mac

Looks very good, also makes me want to buy the set now

• KatherineKatherine Posts: 326
    edited December 1969

R25S said:
    R25S said:
    R25S said:
    R25S said:
    I need some help with the Iray Emissive Shader.

I can`t get a glow effect.
    In the Viewport they look like they are glowing but in the final render they did not. (see Picture)

Have I missed to change some Parameter or else?

Your scene looks pretty well lit anyway - are you sure that isn't simply washing out the glow? I do see a bit of glow in the eye pieces, lowering the environment light may make it more obvious (as it would for a physical item).

You`re right, Richard.
    After adding a Skydome (the first Picture had no additional lighting - that was the Problem) it works fine.

But the Skydome did not render - it`s all black in the final Picture. I thought I read about Fixing that Problem but can`t remeber...
    Can you help me with that Problem, too?

The skydome is casting a shadow. To use it, you can select the surface of the dome and open the Surface tab. In Presets> Shaders > Iray you will find an Emitter shader. Apply that and set the Luminance value higher. :) that will make it emit light and light the scene. Or, delete the dome and add an HDRI to the Environment in Render Settings. Either will work. :)

Kat

Yes; it light the Scene but the Sky (Clouds, Stars, Sun and so on) did not show up in the final Render; it only chance Color from black to Brown or yellow and White - depending on the value of the Luminance.

Try setting it way up in strength. Like 50 K

Kat

this is what happens with a Maximum Luminance of 10000000000; no Sun, no Clouds...

Can you screenshot your environment and Emitter settings? :)

Kat

edited December 1969

Toyen said:

Oh, my bad, well, what does the same scene rendered with 3Delight look like then? I want to see what differences there are.

CHEERS!

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

Question about IRAY and Daz Studio

From the looks of it there was a texture compression setting, I assume this is global and no way to disable texture compression for certain objects? I really don't want any automatic compression.

That is NVIDIA's recommendation to help make it fit onto the card. It is adjustable so you can turn it off. (Crank it up to a size bigger than any texture map you are using.) Be advised that will make scenes use quite a bit more Video RAM.
    edited December 1969

maclean said:
    Two renders of my Classroom product.

First one is with sun-sky. Fairly straightforward. The only issue I had was positioning the sun. Doing it by hour should be pretty intuitive, but the results don't match up to what I'd expect. Maybe it's set to Utah time or some damned thing.

For the 2nd render, I applied an emitter to the ceiling lights. (Luckily I always build light panels with their own material). I set the temperature to 4900k and ramped the Luminance up to 40,000 (default is 5,000). Btw, this version rendered way faster than the first one.

One thing I have to say. The Iray preview is a life saver. If it wasn't there, I would spend hours doing useless renders. It's great to tweak the settings, then go to preview and see it.

mac

Oh I like those!! Now I need to see if I have that set or if I am going to be shelling out more money. LOL

Nice job. :) I really like it.

Kat

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,312
    edited December 1969

I posted this elswhere also, but this is a quick test render just to get a feel for the Iray renderer. Laptop, i5, 8gigs ram, The laptop has no nvidia card so it took longer to render, but the results still show promise. I did have the extra cooler fans running though.

iraygtx.png
    800 x 432 - 384K
  • Eva1Eva1 Posts: 1,249
    edited March 2015

I wanted to render a scene made and saved in 4.7. I removed all the old lights but want to move the sun position/angle. Is there an easy way to do this ? I can't see the sun listed in the Scene tab, although the light is there when I render.

Post edited by Eva1 on
    edited December 1969

This one took just under 54 seconds to render (2GB card). Simple, but I like animals.... lol It took longer to find the branch in my content.... *sigh*

Kat

commom_kestrel.jpg
    800 x 1040 - 255K
    edited December 1969

I posted this elswhere also, but this is a quick test render just to get a feel for the Iray renderer. Laptop, i5, 8gigs ram, The laptop has no nvidia card so it took longer to render, but the results still show promise. I did have the extra cooler fans running though.

Sweet ride. :)

Kat

• Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    edited March 2015

Rogerbee said:
    Toyen said:

CHEERS!

Keep in mind:

Just using the iray uber shader converts it from a 3delight-compatible shader over to a similar base with the iray dials to work on. It is nowhere near the final product and really doesn't take advantage of any iray features. the shader is a generic shader for everything, not just skin. So no it's not a fair representation.

Also we're just clearing the 1 full day of people playing with the renderer, so there won't be any midblowing results.. especially when it comes to skin. People said the same thing about luxrender, and there was more work on that before actually playing with 3delight settings. There really wasn't a real push to learn materials settings for skin using 3delight until Genesis released and the switch from gen4 characters that had basic DS settings were more common.

Are you actually using this build as others in this thread?

Post edited by Male-M3dia on
    edited December 1969

This one took just under 54 seconds to render (2GB card). Simple, but I like animals.... lol It took longer to find the branch in my content.... *sigh*

Kat

Ok, now we're getting somewhere. It's clear Iray has potential and this is the only render I've seen that has truly shown that.

Nice going

CHEERS!

• swordkensiaswordkensia Posts: 348
    edited December 1969

Is it not possible in Iray to change the strength of lights and the ToneMapper whislt it is rendering, for real time update of lighting changes in a scene.??

S.K.

• legarclegarc Posts: 45
    edited December 1969

Khory said:
    If development continues with 3Delight then it still might, but, if everyone starts raving about Iray this might not end up being the case.

There is no question that there will be a good deal of raving about Iray for the next while. There was a good deal of raving when Reality, Luxus and octane became viable render paths. But there will always be people who need a render engine like 3delight. Some people don't render for realism like manga and toon users. Some people are just here to play around a few hours in the evening and want quick gratification. Some people do a base render and then do magic in post. DAZ is not going to stop selling them content and isn't going to try and run them away just because they ADDED a new render engine. Some people will try Iray and love it and never go back. Some will try it and like it but not well enough to change over. I think the really big up side for all the customers will be that in order to look good in Iray content creators will need to be held to a higher standard. Castles will need to look realistic in Iray so they will look more realistic in 3delight as well. I think in the long run it will be a win for everyone no matter which engine they pick that day.

Well said. I like realism like the next person. Truth is everybody knows it's a 3d render in the end especially for human subjects unless you're totally blind. With that, I've enjoyed the progress 3delight continues to make especially in this release. things are much snappier and faster than what they were just one year ago. For animation, which is what i'm getting into these days, physical renders have a long ways to go at the same time I've seen render times dropping dramatically for 3delight even with SSS skin and hair in the scene. The IPR rendering appears much improved from last version too for 3delight. 3delight is here to stay and has its place.

• SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,505
    edited December 1969

Are there any charts available showing the appropriate Emission Temperatures and Luminance values for duplicating real-world lighting? For example, what values to set for candle light, light bulbs, a flashlight, ceiling lights, etc. Thanks.

• DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 7,882
    edited December 1969

Eva1 said:
    I wanted to render a scene made and saved in 4.7. I removed all the old lights but want to move the sun position/angle. Is there an easy way to do this ? I can't see the sun listed in the Scene tab, although the light is there when I render.

The Iray sun doesn't appear on the Scene tab. You can either use the settings in the Environment section of the Render settings pane, or use the Sun Dial Set in the Iray Uber Defaults content.

• DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 7,882
    edited December 1969

Are there any charts available showing the appropriate Emission Temperatures and Luminance values for duplicating real-world lighting? For example, what values to set for candle light, light bulbs, a flashlight, ceiling lights, etc. Thanks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_temperature

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited December 1969

That is NVIDIA's recommendation to help make it fit onto the card. It is adjustable so you can turn it off. (Crank it up to a size bigger than any texture map you are using.) Be advised that will make scenes use quite a bit more Video RAM.

OK thanks, so it seems it really is only global.

I've got a lot of practice fitting scenes into my Vram so I'm not worried there.

• ToyenToyen Posts: 1,861
    edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:
    Toyen said:

Oh, my bad, well, what does the same scene rendered with 3Delight look like then? I want to see what differences there are.

CHEERS!

You can try it if you place two uberlights one behind the figure emitting cold bluish light and the other in front of her emitting warm light.

I have now closed the scene and I´m rendering the figure in another enviroment.

You can also use uberenviroment to make the overall result look better but I didn´t use dome in iRay so the only light source in the scene were really the two mesh lights.

edited December 1969

[

Keep in mind:

Just using the iray uber shader converts it from a 3delight-compatible shader over to a similar base with the iray dials to work on. It is nowhere near the final product and really doesn't take advantage of any iray features. the shader is a generic shader for everything, not just skin. So no it's not a fair representation.

Also we're just clearing the 1 full day of people playing with the renderer, so there won't be any midblowing results.. especially when it comes to skin. People said the same thing about luxrender, and there was more work on that before actually playing with 3delight settings. There really wasn't a real push to learn materials settings for skin using 3delight until Genesis released and the switch from gen4 characters that had basic DS settings were more common.

Are you actually using this build as others in this thread?

No, I'm not, I do have 4.7 but am busy with other projects and haven't had much chance to use it yet. Kat's render is impressive and if more follow in a similar vein then my reticence may well fade. It doesn't seem that long since 4.7 came out and we're already hurtling towards another build before the dust has settled on 4.7. I need time to adjust and I just hope that, by the time I'm ready to get back into this full time there will be a version of DS that I can fully get used to before another arrives.

CHEERS!

• XoechZXoechZ Posts: 1,102
    edited December 1969

Is it not possible in Iray to change the strength of lights and the ToneMapper whislt it is rendering, for real time update of lighting changes in a scene.??

S.K.

Not during the final render, but it is possible in the Viewport. Therefore you have to set the Viewport preview mode to "Iray Preview". Then you will see the image as it will look like rendered and you can do all the tonemapping and light adjustments.

But be warned: If you do not have the right grapics card and have to run Iray in CPU mode, things are getting veeeeeryyyy sloooooow here. So it is not nearly as comfortable as it is in Luxrender.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,886
    edited December 1969

I'm attempting a simple scene, one done with arealights, the other done with iray emitters, trying to be as similar as possible (with appropriate material/shader changes).

edited December 1969

Toyen said:
    Rogerbee said:
    Toyen said:

CHEERS!

You can try it if you place two uberlights one behind the figure emitting cold bluish light and the other in front of her emitting warm light.

I have now closed the scene and I´m rendering the figure in another enviroment.

You can also use uberenviroment to make the overall result look better but I didn´t use dome in iRay so the only light source in the scene were really the two mesh lights.

Never mind,

I don't use the DIM and will maybe get this when it hits full release. What I'm doing now is assessing what advantage that build will be.

CHEERS!

• R25SR25S Posts: 595
    edited December 1969

R25S said:
    R25S said:
    R25S said:
    R25S said:
    I need some help with the Iray Emissive Shader.

I can`t get a glow effect.
    In the Viewport they look like they are glowing but in the final render they did not. (see Picture)

Have I missed to change some Parameter or else?

Your scene looks pretty well lit anyway - are you sure that isn't simply washing out the glow? I do see a bit of glow in the eye pieces, lowering the environment light may make it more obvious (as it would for a physical item).

You`re right, Richard.
    After adding a Skydome (the first Picture had no additional lighting - that was the Problem) it works fine.

But the Skydome did not render - it`s all black in the final Picture. I thought I read about Fixing that Problem but can`t remeber...
    Can you help me with that Problem, too?

The skydome is casting a shadow. To use it, you can select the surface of the dome and open the Surface tab. In Presets> Shaders > Iray you will find an Emitter shader. Apply that and set the Luminance value higher. :) that will make it emit light and light the scene. Or, delete the dome and add an HDRI to the Environment in Render Settings. Either will work. :)

Kat

Yes; it light the Scene but the Sky (Clouds, Stars, Sun and so on) did not show up in the final Render; it only chance Color from black to Brown or yellow and White - depending on the value of the Luminance.

Try setting it way up in strength. Like 50 K

Kat

this is what happens with a Maximum Luminance of 10000000000; no Sun, no Clouds...

Can you screenshot your environment and Emitter settings? :)

Kat

with Emitter Settings you mean the Emission Tab?

env3.jpg
    685 x 253 - 28K
    env2.jpg
    690 x 695 - 75K
    env1.jpg
    682 x 678 - 68K
    emission.jpg
    692 x 729 - 53K
  • larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited December 1969

XoechZ said:

S.K.

Not during the final render, but it is possible in the Viewport. Therefore you have to set the Viewport preview mode to "Iray Preview". Then you will see the image as it will look like rendered and you can do all the tonemapping and light adjustments.

But be warned: If you do not have the right grapics card and have to run Iray in CPU mode, things are getting veeeeeryyyy sloooooow here. So it is not nearly as comfortable as it is in Luxrender.

It isn't really realtime though, you pick something and it starts to render. So its still an improvement for some people but it's not the same "Realtime" that some are used to.

Like if I am changing the position of the sun, the viewport changes back to the flat shaded view while I am sliding the dial.

• swordkensiaswordkensia Posts: 348
    edited December 1969

XoechZ said:

S.K.

It isn't really realtime though, you pick something and it starts to render. So its still an improvement for some people but it's not the same "Realtime" that some are used to.

Like if I am changing the position of the sun, the viewport changes back to the flat shaded view while I am sliding the dial.

Huummmm,,

Thanks for the Info guys, so not as versatile as Luxrender or Octane Render in that department, I will no doubt give it a spin once DAZ 4.8 goes general release status, but I cannot invisage this replacing either Luxrender or Octane render for me yet...!!!!!

Maybe if it is developed further, or if the Iray interactive renderer can be incorporated at some point in the future, then possibly...but it is a promising start, and of course Free.!!!

S.K/