Carrara Challenge #16 - Myth and Legend - WIP Thread - WINNERS ANNOUNCED

MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
edited April 2015 in Carrara Discussion

Carrara Challenge #16
Myth and Legend

For as long as there has been art, artists in all mediums have gone back to the deep well of mythology for inspiration. This month's challenge is to emulate those artists and show us a scene of your own that is inspired by myth and legend.

Your subject can be anything from any myth, legend, fairytale, folk story or tall tale. You might stick to a "classic" version of the story, or completely reinterpret the idea. Choose a story everyone knows or delve deeper and share a tale that's not so well known. You do not have to limit yourself to just "on screen" scenes from existing myths; you can also present an image which simply represents a favorite legendary character or setting or show us your own might-have-happened image that fits in with existing myths.

Challenge Rules
1. Do not talk about fight... no, wait, that's something else... never mind.
2. Each participant may submit up to two images into the Challenge. Only one image per artist will be eligible to win a prize. If two images from the same artist receive a prize-winning number of votes, the image with the most votes will win the prize it’s eligible for, and the second prize will go to the image from another artist with the next highest vote total. Votes will be counted per-image, not per-artist. More detailed voting rules will be posted when voting opens.
3. The images must be new (previously unpublished).
4. The images must be set up and rendered in Carrara or in an external renderer for which an intermediate Carrara plug-in is available (LuxRender, Octane…).
5. Two items must be created or significantly modified in Carrara (see below for more detail)
6. Content use is welcome, but it must be fully listed and credited.
7. At least two WIP (work in progress) images must be posted in the WIP thread. At least one WIP image should be a screen grab of the setup of objects and lights in Carrara.
8. Post-work is allowed and welcome, but raw render(s) must be posted to the WIP thread (in addition to the 2 required WIP images) and the post-work must be fully described.
9. Whosoever shall win this Challenge shall become Monarch of the following Challenge and shall win the right to pick the next theme and rules to please their royal whim. The current host is not eligible to win their own Challenge.
10. Have Fun! (Yes, this is a rule).

What qualifies something as “created or significantly modified in Carrara?
• Altering or creating UV-maps, or creating special shaders or textures.
• Covering an object with fur or creating dynamic hair for it.
• Creating an object in one of Carrara’s modelers: vertex, spline, metaball; or using one of Carrara’s editors to create unique variations of things like plants, oceans, particle generators, terrains, clouds, etc.
• Inventive use of replicators to create new shapes using replicated objects, using distribution maps or nested replicators to create environments, or other creative/unusual use of replicators.
• Morphing or modifying an object (including a primitive) beyond recognition or cutting parts from it for use in other objects.
• Rigging an object and using that rig to pose the object.
• Using the 3D-paint feature to texture the object or to create shaders, masks, distribution maps, etc.
• This is by no means an exhaustive list; if you are not sure whether your modifications qualify, please ask in this thread.

Thank you to our generous sponsor DAZ 3D for once again offering the following awards to the winners:
1st Place: $100.00 towards DAZ 3D owned item(s)
2nd Place: $50.00 towards DAZ 3D owned item(s)
3rd Place: $25.00 towards DAZ 3D owned item(s)
Honorable Mention: $10.00 towards DAZ 3D owned item(s)

You might find the following links useful, interesting or inspiring:
List of Mythologies http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mythologies
Greek Myth Paintings http://www.igreekmythology.com/greek-mythology-paintings-5.html
World Myths & Legends in Art http://archive.artsmia.org/world-myths/
Art Based on Mythology http://goo.gl/lDRqAE
List of Fairy Tales http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fairy_tales
Grimm's Fairy Tales http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~spok/grimmtmp/

Dates to remember:
Challenge Thread opens for WIP submissions: 2 March 2015
Entry Thread opens: 16 March 2015
Entry Closes: 30 March 2015 23:59:59 CMT (UTC-6)
Voting Period: 31 March 2015 0:00:01 CMT (UTC-6) to 7 April 2015 23:59:59 CMT (UTC-6)

Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on

Comments

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited April 2015

And the winners are....

FIRST PLACE......................Stezza, Norse God of Thunder

SECOND PLACE................Jonstark, Villain of Nottingham?

THIRD PLACE.....................Head Wax, Sant Padrig Taflu y Pagan Devils Allan Iwerddon

HONORABLE MENTION....Diomede64, Pied Piper of Hamelin

Thank you again to DAZ for their ongoing and generous support of this Callenge and my personal thank you to everyone who entered or who participated in the WIP thread!

Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,660
    edited December 1969

TYPO alert

Please check and edit the second place details !!!!!!

Have now started on my Myth & Legend entry, hope everyone else joins in this time around as well.

Regards, Bunyip

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited March 2015

yeah i'd like to win 2nd prize :lol:

does Camelot count as a mythos?

Post edited by Mistara on
    edited December 1969

Bunyip02 said:
    TYPO alert

Please check and edit the second place details !!!!!!

Have now started on my Myth & Legend entry, hope everyone else joins in this time around as well.

Regards, Bunyip

Thanks Bunyip! That was quite a typo too! Fixed now. :)

edited December 1969

Yes - Camelot would count. I think that falls safely under "legends."

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

Sounds like a good one. I should be able to participate in this one, as my Community Theatre group doesn't have another show until the fall.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922
    edited December 1969

MDO2010 ! well done, here's a quick and dirty sword in stone thingy, just a wip

Doc1.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 1M
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
    edited December 1969

Here is a concept doodle. I threw together a quick pair of shoes and a quick tunic/robe to fit the G2 male. Ugly meshes, but I will clean them up. I just attached the clothes to the skeleton, I did not create a conforming figure. Worked OK for this pose. Also used the Squeaker from Renderosity and Daz's drifter hair.

pied_piper_shoes.JPG
    1134 x 818 - 82K
    pied_piper_b_top.JPG
    1369 x 689 - 81K
    pied_piper_a2_wip.jpg
    940 x 705 - 66K
    edited December 1969

Nice work diomede! Not so ugly after all.

edited December 1969

MDO2010 said:

has Superman story reached myth status?

Fortress of Solitude.

edited March 2015

MDO2010 said:

Fortress of Solitude. good question,

Post edited by Headwax on
  • JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited December 1969

MDO2010 said:

Fortress of Solitude.

I vote yes, absolutely :)

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,795
    edited December 1969

I will work on Thor..

seeing as my missus loves Chris Hemsworth for whatever reason that eludes me ...

Thor.jpg
    1000 x 750 - 479K
    edited December 1969

MDO2010 said:

Fortress of Solitude.

Well, my intent was for people to go a little further back than the 1930's :) but as a lifetime comic book reader (except a a couple years in the early 1990's when I was a poor college student and couldn't afford them) I just can't say no. So, yes, iconic comic book legends such as Superman count.

edited December 1969

MDO2010 said:
    MDO2010 said:

Fortress of Solitude.

Well, my intent was for people to go a little further back than the 1930's :) but as a lifetime comic book reader (except a a couple years in the early 1990's when I was a poor college student and couldn't afford them) I just can't say no. So, yes, iconic comic book legends such as Superman count.

Howard the Duck it is. ;-P

edited December 1969

Stezza, so Thor and his hot date wake up one morning and she looks at him bewildered because she had too much to drink the night before, and shes says to him "Who are you?" and he looks at her, grabs his hammer and shakes it and he says "I'm Thor!" and thinking she's gone to bed with a lisper she says ....

Nice render. Good to see someone doing the npr stuff. Heading towards a watercolour look. Are you doing a fragment coverage pass as well, sometimes you can combine the two, maybe dirty up the fragment pass with a little noise? Do you know Fotosketcher for post work, highly recommend it. Maybe there needs to be a pigeon in this image :)

edited December 1969

oh no!

Yep have had fotosketcher for a few years now..

Lately I have been using Akvis sketch which is brilliant IMO in conjunction with Perfect Effects

still need tweaking of the layers to get the look I want like you say adding noise and other stuff ..

I will be putting some pigeon wings on Thor's helmet.. does that sound right and try to get the Norse look about him rather than the Marvel look and may do a hot Sif to compliment him lol ;-)

edited December 1969

thanks for the headsup on Akvis, will check it out :) cheers. Good luck with the Sif!

edited December 1969

head wax said:
    thanks for the headsup on Akvis, will check it out :) cheers. Good luck with the Sif!

Headwax,

Check out the Topaz Adjust Plugin while you are at it.
    http://www.topazlabs.com/adjust

I have FotoSketcher as well, but have been using Topaz in PSP ever since I bought it, very glad I did.

Regards, Bunyip

edited December 1969

MDO2010 said:
    MDO2010 said:

Fortress of Solitude.

way kewl !!

edited March 2015

RE: Legend of the Pied Piper of Hamelin goes back to 1284 in the valley of the Weser River in Germany.

Thought I would post a small selection of some of my background research. I find it interesting that some more modern images use a musical instrument more akin to a flute, but some of the older references the instrument looks more like a clarinet or a horn. The town of Hamelin has a statue, not surprisingly. Looks like a beautiful landscape.

http://www.pitt.edu/~dash/hameln.html

After some digging around - I came across the following discussion, which includes a description of clothes.

There are only a few pieces of evidence about what might have occurred in Hamelin, a town in northern Germany. A stained glass window, which was made around the year 1300 and kept until the 17th century in the town’s Market Church seems to allude to an event where children were in danger. It is not until the year 1384 that we get a more firm report, this one from the town’s chronicle. The entry for that year states: “It is 100 years since our children left.”

Our next reference comes from a Latin chronicle from the German town of Lunenberg. While the chronicle was written in the fourteenth-century, it seems that someone added an extra page of text between 1430 and 1450. It states:

Here follows a marvellous wonder, which transpired in the town of Hamelin in the diocese of Minden, in the Year of Our Lord, 1284, on the Feast of Saints John and Paul. A certain young man thirty years of age, handsome and well-dressed, so that all who saw him admired him because of his appearance, crossed the bridges and entered the town by the West Gate. He then began to play all through the town a silver pipe of the most magnificent sort. All the children who heard his pipe, in the number of 130, followed him to the East Gate and out of the town to the so-called execution place or Calvary. There they proceeded to vanish, so that no trace of them could be found. The mothers of the children ran from town to town, but they found nothing. It is written: A voice was heard from on high, and a mother was bewailing her son. And as one counts the years according to the Year of Our Lord or according to the first, second or third year of an anniversary, so do the people in Hamelin reckon the years after the departure and disappearance of their children. This report I found in an old book. And the mother of the deacon Johann von Lude saw the children depart.

In the sixteenth-century we begin to get more accounts of the events in Hamelin. In 1553 the chronicle for the town of Bamberg offered the first German-language report:

There is also a mountain which lies approximately a rifle shot away from this town, called Calvary, and the townspeople say that in 1283 a man was seen possibly a musician, wearing clothing of many colors and possessing a pipe, which he played in the town. Whereupon the children in the town ran out as far as the mountain, and there they all disappeared into it. Only two children returned home, and they were naked; one was blind and the other mute. But when the women began to look for their children, the man said to them that he would come again in 300 years and take more children. 130 children had been lost and the people of this place were afraid that the same man would come again in 1583.

hamelin_14.jpg
    300 x 150 - 12K
    hamelin_7.jpg
    1402 x 934 - 162K
    Pied_piper_old.jpg
    620 x 490 - 617K
    pied-piper-of-hamelin-stained-glass-panel.jpg
    1024 x 683 - 450K
    pied_piper_6.jpg
    183 x 275 - 10K
    Post edited by Diomede on
    edited March 2015

Bunyip02 said:
    head wax said:

Headwax,

Check out the Topaz Adjust Plugin while you are at it.
    http://www.topazlabs.com/adjust

I have FotoSketcher as well, but have been using Topaz in PSP ever since I bought it, very glad I did.

Regards, Bunyip

thanks Bunyip, will look see - I have been using oloneo HDR as well, looks similar in the results dept!

cheers :)

diomede, great research, love this story. the cloak in the stained glass is elegant

Post edited by Headwax on
    edited December 1969

diomede gets an A for doing something like schoolwork and using reference images. ;-)

edited December 1969

diomede gets an A for doing something like schoolwork and using reference images. ;-)

I always use research materials, as I'm sure lots of other cowrarists do. Usually my background research is not likely to be of interest to anyone but me, but I thought this month's challenge is a little different in that it focuses on myths and legends.

I guess a story doesn't achieve that status unless it is, well, legendary. By definition, some other people are likely to be interested. ;-)

edited December 1969

diomede64 said:

I always use research materials, as I'm sure lots of other cowrarists do. Usually my background research is not likely to be of interest to anyone but me, but I thought this month's challenge is a little different in that it focuses on myths and legends.

I guess a story doesn't achieve that status unless it is, well, legendary. By definition, some other people are likely to be interested. ;-)

I was just poking fun at some misconceptions that some folks seem to have.

Promise you won't tell? I use them from time to time myself.

edited December 1969

diomede64 said:

I was just poking fun at some misconceptions that some folks seem to have.

Promise you won't tell? I use them from time to time myself.

I know you do. Like right here.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/48708/P405/#735628

Lots of people share their reference materials in the WIP threads, but the misconception will persist, I'm afraid.

edited December 1969

My first entry will be "Lost City of Atlantis" with some of the subjects having a bit of a brawl.
    I started this one in DAZ a long time ago but stopped when I was looking at getting Carrara to finish it off.

Second entry if I get time will be a variation on "My favorite Martian" (Little green men from Mars)

My_Favorite_Martian_x1950.png
    834 x 1950 - 1M
    deBrawl_Slither_vs_Shrieker_3_x1950_TopazDetailStrngII.png
    1950 x 1731 - 3M
    edited December 1969

Atlantis base scene in DAZ complete, now the fun Carrara stuff:-

Atlantis_1_x1950.png
    1950 x 1424 - 7M
    edited December 1969

Bunyip02 said:
    Atlantis base scene in DAZ complete, now the fun Carrara stuff:-

great concepts and execution Bunyip02, really are mythical characters!

edited December 1969

diomede64 said:
    RE: Legend of the Pied Piper of Hamelin goes back to 1284 in the valley of the Weser River in Germany.

Thought I would post a small selection of some of my background research. I find it interesting that some more modern images use a musical instrument more akin to a flute, but some of the older references the instrument looks more like a clarinet or a horn. The town of Hamelin has a statue, not surprisingly. Looks like a beautiful landscape.

Love your research diomede64, I don't post my research as I didn't think anyone would be interested in the background research that is done.. Me thinks I was wrong as your is interesting..

Here is my first WiP on Thor...

It his his chariot.. Unlike the Marvel Thor who can fly, Mythological Thor had a chariot to travel across the sky, which was drawn by two goats: Tanngniost and Tanngrisnir.

These powerful animals had a very convenient magical property: they could be killed and eaten at any time, and as long as their bones were undamaged and returned into their skins, they would regenerate overnight and the following day would be alive, just like new.

Amazing what can be found out hey.. ;-)

A very simple model I made ... I'll be doing the hammer next..

WIP1_Wagon.jpg
    900 x 511 - 237K