Carrara Challenge #16 - Myth and Legend - WIP Thread - WINNERS ANNOUNCED

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

I have a twist on a classic Greek fable, but I need to do a bit more research and think about how I want to visualize it.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,794
    edited December 1969

a render of the chariot with a couple of goats to get somewhere near the scale....

EP I can imagine 300 things you could do with a twist!

WiP2_chariot.jpg
    640 x 480 - 119K
    edited December 1969

Stezza said:
    a render of the chariot with a couple of goats to get somewhere near the scale....

Man, I'd hate to be Thor riding behind those Billy goats! Have you ever smelled an un-castrated Billy goat?!? It is un-freaking-believable how bad they smell. I've been to dairy goat farms, and they don't even keep Billy goats on the premises, as the stench adulterates the milk.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Stezza said:

Man, I'd hate to be Thor riding behind those Billy goats! Have you ever smelled an un-castrated Billy goat?!? It is un-freaking-believable how bad they smell. I've been to dairy goat farms, and they don't even keep Billy goats on the premises, as the stench adulterates the milk.

You ever get a good whiff of Thor?

Besides, cooking and eating them every night probably keeps the stench down.

edited December 1969

Stezza said:

You ever get a good whiff of Thor?

Besides, cooking and eating them every night probably keeps the stench down.

But you're using the same old skins. ;-)

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited December 1969

I have a twist in mind on a classic English fable, but it does rely on certain assets coming up in the sales...

• DADA_universeDADA_universe Posts: 336
    edited December 1969

Hmmm......

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
    edited March 2015

Some great ideas are emerging.
    @Misty - could get some great ice effects with a fortress of solitude. Excellent idea.
    @Bunyip - I always love your fantasy characters. Is the serpent dude geografted? Or is it a kit-bash? I've heard people report problems with geografting and I'd be curious of your experience, if any.
    @Stezza - Excellent goat chariot. But I thought Thor could fly.
    @Headwax - Stuck in a stone, hidden by a lady in a lake, that sword is always a problem. Hope the dude gets it out.
    @EvilProducer - there are a lot of Greek myths that wouldn't meet the forum TOS, so I hope your twist allows us all to see it.
    @Tim - Hope you get your sale in tme.
    @Dada - Aha! If life is good, aha usually follows "hmmmm" for me. I can't post what follows if life is not good.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I've gotten a start on my rodents of unusual size (RUSes), or otherwise legendary and mythical plague-inducing vermin. Here is a screengrab of an attempted mesh/uvmap and a test render with some hair. I put a fur pic in the root and tip channel of the hair texture. Need to think about potential morphs. Do I want it more like a Norway rat (very common globally), or more like a mouse, or several different types? Then rigging.

wip_rodent_hair.jpg
    640 x 480 - 18K
    wip_rodent_uvmap.JPG
    1592 x 803 - 108K
    Post edited by Diomede on
    edited December 1969

diomede64 said:
    @Misty - could get some great ice effects with a fortress of solitude. Excellent idea.
    @Bunyip - I always love your fantasy characters. Is the serpent dude geografted? Or is it a kit-bash? I've heard people report problems with geografting and I'd be curious of your experience, if any.
    @Headwax - Stuck in a stone, hidden by a lady in a lake, that sword is always a problem. Hope the dude gets it out.
    @EvilProducer - there are a lot of Greek myths that wouldn't meet the forum TOS, so I hope your twist allows us all to see it.
    @Dada - Aha! If life is good, aha usually follows "hmmmm" for me. I can't post what follows if life is not good.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I've gotten a start on my rodents of unusual size (RUSes), or otherwise legendary and mythical plague-inducing vermin. Here is a screengrab of an attempted mesh/uvmap and a test render with some hair. I put a fur pic in the root and tip channel of the hair texture. Need to think about potential morphs. Do I want it more like a Norway rat (very common globally), or more like a mouse, or several different types? Then rigging.

Oh yeah, the puritans and hypocrites won't be able to complain about it. I'm thinking of adding a sci-fi spin to my idea, since I couldn't get one in last month.

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited March 2015

Sorry about the lack of cheerleading on my part folks - I'm a terrible host in real life too. :(

I'll just say that I am happy with the enthusiasm everyone is showing so far - I've been a big mythology fan since before I could even read and I'm very excited to see what everyone is working on.:)

diomede64 said:

Everyone knows there's no such thing as ROUS... :)

Also, interestingly, outside of some Indian myths I don't recall ever hearing of any of the old gods flying under their own power; they usually needed some sort of device or to shape-shift into something with wings. :)

Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,656
    edited March 2015

diomede64 said:

Hello Diomede

Thanks for the good wrap on my critters, nice knowing that other people like them as much as I do.

The Medusa-winged character is a Kit-bash.
    Top half is G2M using Creature Creator morps, dialed to get a snakey looking head.
    Arms are genesis morphs that have been Genxed over, was after a ham looking arms on the critter.
    Bottom half had the visibility turned off.
    The Snake body is from RawArts Medusa-Gorgon creature.
    There is a big issue with the join, I have previously used Post-work to best fix the different width waist-lines.
    Wings are from the CCWings for V4. Unfortunately the bone rig went haywire when I bought it into Carrara.
    Currently looking at either importing the wings as an obj or replacing it with another set, there's a nice set of
    Bat-Demon wings with the Popobawa critter.

Will do a more detailed writeup later on, but quite a few of my characters are bits & pieces stuck together with a
    multitude of dial-spinning with the morphs. Sometimes Geografts work well, sometimes they cause headaches.

The Gryphon is by Sparky at PhilosophersEgg for M4, with the Feathered Wings.
    (Centaur for M4 now being shown for sale, lots of other critters as well, including a nice rodent for M4)

Does the your Rat come with flees ? Looking good so far, hope the rest comes together well for you.

STEZZA :- Dual powered Billy Goat cart with twin over-head pigeon wings - LOVE IT !!!!!!!
    Hope the driver is not overcome with exhaust fumes !!!!

Headwax :- nice WIP, looks like you might have time for a second entry as well, hope so !!!!!

EP :- solution might be to tone down the gory bits which is what I did for this one.

Everyone keep up the great work, especially the fun bit !!!!!!!!!!!!

Post edited by Bunyip02 on
    edited December 1969

Bunyip02 said:
    diomede64 said:

Hello Diomede

Thanks for the good wrap on my critters, nice knowing that other people like them as much as I do.

The Medusa-winged character is a Kit-bash.
    Top half is G2M using Creature Creator morps, dialed to get a snakey looking head.
    Arms are genesis morphs that have been Genxed over, was after a ham looking arms on the critter.
    Bottom half had the visibility turned off.
    The Snake body is from RaArts Medusa-Gorgon creature.
    There is a big issue with the join, I have previously used Post-work to best fix the different width waist-lines.
    Wings are from the CCWings for V4. Unfortunately the bone rig went haywire when I bought it into Carrara.
    Currently looking at either importing the wings as an obj are replacing it with another set, there's a nice set of
    Bat-Demon wings with the Popobawa critter.

Will do a more detailed writeup later on, but quite a few of my characters are bits & pieces stuck together with a
    multitude of dial-spinning with the morphs. Sometimes Geografts work well, sometimes they cause headaches.

The Gryphon is by Sparky http://philosophersegg.com/ for M4, with the Feathered Wings.
    (Centaur for M4 now being shown for sale, lots of other critters as well, including a nice rodent for M4)

Does the your Rat come with flees ? Looking good so far, hope the rest comes together well for you.

STEZZA :- Dual powered Billy Goat cart with twin over-head pigeon wings - LOVE IT !!!!!!!
    Hope the driver is not overcome with exhaust fumes !!!!

Headwax :- nice WIP, looks like you might have time for a second entry as well, hope so !!!!!

EP :- solution might be to tone down the gory bits which is what I did for this one.

Everyone keep up the great work, especially the fun bit !!!!!!!!!!!!

No gory bits.

I've been experimenting today with trying to create a coronal mass ejection. I haven't decided on the best method yet. I would really like to generate the effect in Carrara, but I may have to search NASA's site to find a good picture that I can incorporate into my scene.

edited December 1969

I've paused my work on the piper and the rodents, and have started to work on the environment. In particular, I've been working on the river. Tim is leading a discussion on water shaders in another thread, and I can't say I understand it all, but I did make some changes to the bump channel based on ideas in that thread. I started with Dart's "high quality water shader" (I think from underwater realms set but could be from woodland realms), and then made some changes. I changed the bump channel to the wave function. I then changed the scale and amplitude of the component waves. I also have a second water plane several feet below the top. The sky is a Tim Payne preset, but I lowered the global brightness and increased the haze because I prefer that when I use gamma 2.2. I'm thinking of using 3D paint to create an opacity mask for the water plane around the pillars of the bridge. The idea would be to have a ripple bump around the pillars and a wave bump elsewhere.

wip_33_water_shader.JPG
    1285 x 632 - 137K
    wip_33_pied_piper.jpg
    900 x 1165 - 155K
    edited March 2015

Woe is me. :bug:

I cannot load any of the WIP files for my pied piper project. Carrara says that some object is missing a description. I can't even go back a step or two. I am suddenly getting this error for Pied1.car, Pied2.car, etc., etc., etc.

:ahhh::ahhh::ahhh:

woe_is_me.JPG
    1111 x 781 - 103K
    Post edited by Diomede on
    edited December 1969

Man, that sucks! I have never seen that message before!

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited March 2015

Thor and Superman are different universes. but that doesn't mean they can't meet?

tee hee, what happens when thor meets hulk?

the fortress of solitude has guest rooms. wonderwoman and supergirl visits. can't find any mention of krypto visiting. :)

Krypto-the-Superdog-Season-1-2.jpg
    1591 x 600 - 128K
    Post edited by Mistara on
    edited December 1969

diomede64 said:

I cannot load any of the WIP files for my pied piper project. Carrara says that some object is missing a description. I can't even go back a step or two. I am suddenly getting this error for Pied1.car, Pied2.car, etc., etc., etc.

I got that error the other day....

hmmm.. was whilst knocking up my Thor ( metaphorically speaking ) it was part of a freebie clothing range that threw up the error..

I just carried on loading and then deleted the cubes.. and rearranged stuff!

edited December 1969

Stezza said:
    diomede64 said:

I got that error the other day....

hmmm.. was whilst knocking up my Thor ( metaphorically speaking ) it was part of a freebie clothing range that threw up the error..

I just carried on loading and then deleted the cubes.. and rearranged stuff!

Interesting. Mine never finished loading at all, so I'm not sure what caused it. Maybe I wasn't patient enough, but I gave it a good ten minutes. I'll try to reload later tonight when I have a frosty beverage.

Fortunately, I saved most of the pieces separately, so I have mostly just lost the scene settings, camera angles, lighting, and that sort of thing.

I took the opportunity to start creating morphs for the vermin and rigging. Here is one of the little buggers drinking some cognac (at least that is what the shader is called in the DP collection). I think I'll find a drink of some sort for myself.

wip_rats_cognac.jpg
    640 x 480 - 23K
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922
    edited December 1969

heh heh, what a great job on the mouse Diomede

edited December 1969

Happy to report that after following Stezza and letting my scene load overnight, it did finally load. It turns out that the object whose description was lost was THE DAZ HAIR CAP that comes with Carrara

WTF!

Anyway, hair cap removed at no great loss. Has anyone else had trouble with the Daz hair cap? Or, is this actually a Carrara 8.5 bug that occurs to random scene elements, and mine just happened to be the hair cap?

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,656
    edited December 1969

diomede64 said:
    Happy to report that after following Stezza and letting my scene load overnight, it did finally load. It turns out that the object whose description was lost was THE DAZ HAIR CAP that comes with Carrara

WTF!

Anyway, hair cap removed at no great loss. Has anyone else had trouble with the Daz hair cap? Or, is this actually a Carrara 8.5 bug that occurs to random scene elements, and mine just happened to be the hair cap?

Hello Diomede

Glad you found the problem, as well as a solution.

I did not use the hair cap when my User scenes went kaput, it appears that it was a series of clothes.
    Was using clothing from the Ranger, Wolf-King and a few others, it appeared that Carrara did not like the mix.
    Mix contained G2M, Genesis, and M4 items.
    I seem to get strange results every now and then when I mix and match.

Have been wondering if I should try the obj import method more often, but as I want to get involved in animation that might be counter-productive.

Hope the glitches keep away to allow the fun stuff to happen !!!!!!

Rodent is looking great as well !!!!!

Regards, Bunyip

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited December 1969

I use the hair cap all the time with no issues, and I'm on 8.5. I'm a bit mystified.

• VarselVarsel Posts: 574
    edited December 1969

Since Stezza is doing Tor (Thor, the thunder god), which was my initial idea >:(
    I had to dig into the old Norwegian myth's and legends....

How to become a fiddler.
    How to be able to play the fiddle, so the people couldn't stop dancing.

So here is the start of the fiddle.
    The most interesting now is going to be to string this.

fiddle02.jpg
    1000 x 573 - 247K
    fiddle01.jpg
    1000 x 573 - 103K
    edited December 1969

Here's my fiddle.
    The originals are heavily decorated, and the head has a dragon head.

But this is for a novice fiddler, and he can't afford the decorations yet.

fiddle.jpg
    1200 x 600 - 167K
  • DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited December 1969

Varsel, er du Norsk ?
    I think the most difficult is done, but it misses the guide for the strings near the keys.
    Nice work !

edited December 1969

Crossed posts, you made this piece ! :-)

edited December 1969

Eg e ikke fra Norge. Eg er fra Bergen...

It is all made in the vertex modeller.

edited December 1969

Varsel, your modelling skills are tremendous.. sorry for getting in with Thor but different interpretations can be done ;-)

as for my continuing effort..

I have knocked together Thor's hammer and a helmet ( combining two products into one ).. Also started to get Thor made up using the hair room extensively on Thor's clothing..

Did a test render to get the sizes of all the items right like the hammer cart & helmet and those stinky goats :-)

Haven't worked out what to do with Sif, Thor's wife yet..

WiP4_testrender_chariot.jpg
    900 x 600 - 384K
    edited December 1969

Stezza said:
    Varsel, your modelling skills are tremendous..

And you as well, Stezza. Plus, I always love your visual style.

If anyone wants to give an update to the world beyond the Carrara forum, the following thread might be a good place to do it.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/53581/

edited December 1969

Varsel said:
    Eg e ikke fra Norge. Eg er fra Bergen...

It is all made in the vertex modeller.

Never heard of a separatist movement in Norway…;-P
    Bergen is the nicest town on May 17th.
    If you could recreate the stavkirke of Fantoft, it would be formidable !
    When I see your violin, I have in the head “the return of Per Gunt” of Grieg…
    Nice work everybody !

fantoft-stave-church.jpg
    550 x 366 - 66K