Carrara Challenge #16 - Myth and Legend - WIP Thread - WINNERS ANNOUNCED

Comments

• VarselVarsel Posts: 574
    edited December 1969

Some more parts for my picture.
    This is the start of the home off Fossegrimen, the mythical creature that lives in waterfalls and streams.
    He is an excellent musician, playing both the fiddle and the harp.

If you dare to risk your sole, he might learn you how to play.

This is just the initial work. Creating a waterfall in Carrara is really not easy.

Never heard of a separatist movement in Norway…;-P
    Bergen is the nicest town on May 17th.
    If you could recreate the stavkirke of Fantoft, it would be formidable !
    When I see your violin, I have in the head “the return of Per Gunt” of Grieg…
    Nice work everybody !

Well, we don't call it a separatist movement. It's more like promotional movement.

We even have our own army.... :lol: witch we sends on tours....
    Those drums, does really get your attention.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buekorps
    http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Bergen_Buekorps?uselang=nb

Doc2.jpg
    800 x 800 - 565K
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,078
    edited December 1969

I have a second idea. This one is a staple from Greek mythology. I started with a vertex sphere, did a little soft-select deformation, then used the 3D paint tool to create an opacity mask. For the WIP, I used the painted mask as displacement shader.

zz_apple_kallisti.jpg
    640 x 480 - 22K
    zz_apple_3d_paint.JPG
    1884 x 851 - 140K
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

diomede64 said:
    I have a second idea. This one is a staple from Greek mythology. I started with a vertex sphere, did a little soft-select deformation, then used the 3D paint tool to create an opacity mask. For the WIP, I used the painted mask as displacement shader.

To get a cleaner looking displacement, try using a higher subdivision- if it's used for the text.

I haven't forgotten about this one. I had real life decide to kick me in kiester the last couple weeks. >:(

• DADA_universeDADA_universe Posts: 336
    edited December 1969

All looking good here. Tempted to try out for a Thor meets Sango image, Sango being an African deity often paralleled with Thor as the god of thunder and lightning. Tempted, but not sure I've got the courage to pull it off! :long:

If I do continue, I would be using these photos of one of the most prominent actors to depict Sango as a starting point for styling the character. I've found the new Darius and Monique Daz characters very exciting as they save a ton of worries for anyone trying to work with dark skin types and present whole new possibilities. Darius would have come in very handy here, but alas I'm currently unable to afford him.

sango.jpg
    448 x 252 - 28K
    images.jpg
    288 x 175 - 8K
  • MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited December 1969

Hi All!

I'll be opening up the Entry Thread later today (assuming I remember when I get home from work). Great work so far! :)

Reminder about dates:
    Entry Thread opens: 16 March 2015
    Entry Closes: 30 March 2015 23:59:59 CMT (UTC-6)
    Voting Period: 31 March 2015 0:00:01 CMT (UTC-6) to 7 April 2015 23:59:59 CMT (UTC-6)

Thanks!
    Mark

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited March 2015

The ENTRY THREAD is NOW OPEN![
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/54014/

MDO2010 said:
    Hi All!

I'll be opening up the Entry Thread later today (assuming I remember when I get home from work). Great work so far! :)

Reminder about dates:
    Entry Thread opens: 16 March 2015
    Entry Closes: 30 March 2015 23:59:59 CMT (UTC-6)
    Voting Period: 31 March 2015 0:00:01 CMT (UTC-6) to 7 April 2015 23:59:59 CMT (UTC-6)

Thanks!
    Mark

Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,801
    edited March 2015

What is Thor without Loki..

I grabbed the free Heracles which is currently available and used the helmet and also the Universal horn in M4 creature creator to get a Loki like helmet..

also made up Loki's staff and Thor's belt buckle which doubles his strength when he uses it along with his glove.

buckle2WiP.jpg
    1000 x 750 - 415K
    Post edited by Stezza on
    edited December 1969

I couldn't decide which way to go with Thor.. Use Genesis or M4..

decided to go with Genesis.. these are the two types I put together

Thor_GenM4.jpg
    900 x 675 - 440K
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924
    edited March 2015

Ha ha, I am having a giggle here.... err I mean a laugh.
    For the last few days I have been screwing around with poser cloth room, I give up, gahhhhh.
    Anyway, here's the chap who kicked the snakes o ut of the green isle.
    I modelled the staff and the mitre . nothing to be proud of I know :) and the saggy thing around his legs is all I could come up with in the cloth room

Doc2.jpg
    1422 x 1942 - 241K
    Post edited by Headwax on
    edited December 1969

Stezza, I like the guy on the right best :)

edited December 1969

Here are some more early work on my musician.

The mountainside is a terrain, converted into a vertex model. Onto that I am replicating a stone, covering everything.
    The waterfall is also a terrain, converted into a vertex model, and then heavily reshaped and remodelled.

There where a lot of trial and errors to get the watershader right.

Doc2.jpg
    800 x 1200 - 880K
    edited December 1969

Stezza said:
    I couldn't decide which way to go with Thor.. Use Genesis or M4..

decided to go with Genesis.. these are the two types I put together

Hmm....I agree, it's hard to choose.....I'd say M4, but then, I like the Genesis beard and some aspects of his clothing.

edited December 1969

Varsel said:

The mountainside is a terrain, converted into a vertex model. Onto that I am replicating a stone, covering everything.
    The waterfall is also a terrain, converted into a vertex model, and then heavily reshaped and remodelled.

Superb work!

edited December 1969

Varsel said:

Interesting way to use terrains, learnt something here. Thanks for sharing.

edited December 1969

All looking good here. Tempted to try out for a Thor meets Sango image, Sango being an African deity often paralleled with Thor as the god of thunder and lightning. Tempted, but not sure I've got the courage to pull it off! :long:

If I do continue, I would be using these photos of one of the most prominent actors to depict Sango as a starting point for styling the character. I've found the new Darius and Monique Daz characters very exciting as they save a ton of worries for anyone trying to work with dark skin types and present whole new possibilities. Darius would have come in very handy here, but alas I'm currently unable to afford him.

I took a couple of hours to try something out here. I thought to mess around a little, but alas I don't have all I need. Will sleep on this one and see how to work around it.

sang_01.jpg
    640 x 360 - 32K
    edited December 1969

DADA_universe, that looks very dramatic, brilliant choice of viewpoint really adds to the feeling

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,695
    edited December 1969

Hello All

Update from me.
    Wings on the Medusa figure caused a bit of grief.
    I could not get the original wings to work in Carrara due to a bone distortion issue.
    My second choice of the Popobawa wings had the same problem.
    Finally tried the wings from the Succubus G2F package and everything is now working.
    I suspect that it's mixing the M4-V4/Genesis/Genesis 2 setup that is not liking what I have been trying to do.
    Still got the transperancy to sort out but it's progress at least.

Next up sorting out all of the shaders, lighting, and cameras, which will be a job on it's own.
    Was hoping to model the splashes but I might need to settle for post-work this time around.
    See how I go.

Everyone keep up the great work.
    Those bogged down by real world stuff hope you get a chance to make an entry.

Atlantis_2_progress_2.png
    1361 x 767 - 608K
    edited December 1969

@Dada - fascinating mythos regarding Sango. The story of the first wife gives a whole new meaning for the phrase cry me a river. I like the way the celestial background frames your WIP.

@Stezza - I like the beard and one-glove of the Genesis Thor better but I like the M4 Thor character more overall. It might just be the lighting, though.

@Head Wax - The only thing I don't like about the Poser cloth room is that I have to run overlapping cloth sequentially. If you actually plan to use Patricius, you could convert the posed figure to an obj then drape the robes over it in the Carrara soft-body. If you get the margin low enough, etc., it will calculate pretty quickly, but you have to model the robes in the posed position. (Or, you could create Stringtheory's undersuit). Or, just stick to the Poser cloth room, but you did express an argh.

@Varsel - love the violin, and love the waterfall. Just keep it up!

@Bunyip - I confess I don't really follow how you do your kit-bashing, but I love the results. Is it possible to load the M4/V4/Genesis/Genesis2 figures simultaneously, then parent/conform the pieces to the native figure, then uncheck visibility for the native figure? Sorry if that is way off base.

edited December 1969

diomede64 said:
    @Dada - fascinating mythos regarding Sango. The story of the first wife gives a whole new meaning for the phrase cry me a river. I like the way the celestial background frames your WIP.

@Stezza - I like the beard and one-glove of the Genesis Thor better but I like the M4 Thor character more overall. It might just be the lighting, though.

@Head Wax - The only thing I don't like about the Poser cloth room is that I have to run overlapping cloth sequentially. If you actually plan to use Patricius, you could convert the posed figure to an obj then drape the robes over it in the Carrara soft-body. If you get the margin low enough, etc., it will calculate pretty quickly, but you have to model the robes in the posed position. (Or, you could create Stringtheory's undersuit). Or, just stick to the Poser cloth room, but you did express an argh.

@Varsel - love the violin, and love the waterfall. Just keep it up!

@Bunyip - I confess I don't really follow how you do your kit-bashing, but I love the results. Is it possible to load the M4/V4/Genesis/Genesis2 figures simultaneously, then parent/conform the pieces to the native figure, then uncheck visibility for the native figure? Sorry if that is way off base.

Thank you, and thanks to Headwax too, I appreciate the feedback. Still mulling over what to do next but I will post some more once I have some inspiration.

edited December 1969

diomede64 said:
    Woe is me. :bug:

I cannot load any of the WIP files for my pied piper project. Carrara says that some object is missing a description. I can't even go back a step or two. I am suddenly getting this error for Pied1.car, Pied2.car, etc., etc., etc.

:ahhh::ahhh::ahhh:

further to these errors that me & diomede64 have encountered...............................

This beta of Carrara 8.5 has thrown up more errors and now I have lost all my work as it can't open the file.. haven't seen this error before but I'll be removing 8.5 and probably have to go back to 8.1 which at least worked for me without all these crazy errors..

That's my entry gone for this month.... sorry 'bout that

error_load.jpg
    580 x 367 - 26K
    edited December 1969

Stezza said:
    diomede64 said:
    Woe is me. :bug:

I cannot load any of the WIP files for my pied piper project. Carrara says that some object is missing a description. I can't even go back a step or two. I am suddenly getting this error for Pied1.car, Pied2.car, etc., etc., etc.

:ahhh::ahhh::ahhh:

further to these errors that me & diomede64 have encountered...............................

This beta of Carrara 8.5 has thrown up more errors and now I have lost all my work as it can't open the file.. haven't seen this error before but I'll be removing 8.5 and probably have to go back to 8.1 which at least worked for me without all these crazy errors..

That's my entry gone for this month.... sorry 'bout that

Oh no! Surely there must be something that must be done! Someone help! You can't lose all that great work.

edited December 1969

a real pisser but that's the way it goes I guess.. I did do a trial render the other day but I can't remember all the content I used for it without opening the file.. I'll just post that render here to what I got up to ... must be Loki playing his tricks!

whoever Hudson is at DAZ has a lot to answer for!!

edited December 1969

Oh, Stezza, that is tragic!

I truly feel your pain. And you were using the 8.5 Beta, too. I think SileneUK got a similar error discussed in another thread. I am with you. This could drive me back to 8.1, assuming I can still get it installed correctly Too bad, I was actually starting to get a functional workflow for the softbody physics (I used it on the Piper's cloak), Genesis figures (the piper is a Genesis 2 male), and I really like the improved duplicate with symmetry. But nothing is worth it if it randomly destroys all working files related to a project. >:-(

I don't know what the final outcome was for SileneUK, but your most recent error looks closer to hers than to "lost description" error. Still hoping for the best for you.

edited December 1969

Have you guys been saving before choosing to quit Carrara?

Fenric reports that if you close Carrara before saving your work, Carrara will ask if you want to save. If you do, then that can lead to Carrara actually quitting before the entire file is written (or something to that effect) which can cause the end of file error. If you go to quit Carrara and it asks if you want to save, hit cancel to cancel the quit operation, go to the file menu and choose Save (or command-S) then quit.

If this is what happened, It won't help work that is already screwed up, but it could help to prevent future disasters.

edited December 1969

Here is what I have so far.
    I was thinking and visioning a grand landscape with mountains, fjords and waterfalls, and a forest
    and the novice fiddler hiding, trying to learn from the creature in the water, who plays the music from nature.....

But this time I think I should try to do things a bit simpler.

And please don't call it a violin. It is a fiddle. It has eight strings, not four. ;-)
    This one is for the common people. For dancing in the barns. Drinking moonshine and fighting over the girls.
    Not those aristocrats in suits and long dresses. :lol:

fiddle01.jpg
    600 x 800 - 109K
    fossegrimen.jpg
    1000 x 1286 - 974K
    edited December 1969

Yes, I know of that problem... it wasn't that ..

Here is the final test render I did the other day, I wasn't happy with the positions of the characters and wanted to do some tweeking of poses ect...

The file size was a touch over 4gig so that may be the problem that Carrara has, as content these days are getting bloated Carrara may not be able to handle it as DAZ hasn't kept it up to date with the bloated content that is available now.

It also corresponds with the new Genesis starter essentials updates that were released a couple of days ago.

Thor_and_Sif.jpg
    1615 x 1076 - 1M
    edited December 1969

Stezza said:

Here is the final test render I did the other day, I wasn't happy with the positions of the characters and wanted to do some tweeking of poses ect...

The file size was a touch over 4gig so that may be the problem that Carrara has, as content these days are getting bloated Carrara may not be able to handle it as DAZ hasn't kept it up to date with the bloated content that is available now.

It also corresponds with the new Genesis starter essentials updates that were released a couple of days ago.

Bummer. Looks like you were off to a grand start!

edited December 1969

Varsel said:
    Here is what I have so far.
    I was thinking and visioning a grand landscape with mountains, fjords and waterfalls, and a forest
    and the novice fiddler hiding, trying to learn from the creature in the water, who plays the music from nature.....

But this time I think I should try to do things a bit simpler.

And please don't call it a violin. It is a fiddle. It has eight strings, not four. ;-)
    This one is for the common people. For dancing in the barns. Drinking moonshine and fighting over the girls.
    Not those aristocrats in suits and long dresses. :lol:

amazing job Varsel. I don't think you need to fiddle with it anymore :) water fall is terrific

edited December 1969

Stezza said:

well that's a wow render Stezza, one of the best I have seen here for ages (apart from mine of course ;) and one Joe did of a ring thingy)

Sorry you lost your file. I guess that's one disadvantage of being a daz beta testa, but that doesn't make it any easier.
    Anyway, you need to enter this one as it is. Love the bones. Dem old bones aren't just what they used to be, or are they pigeon bones ?

edited December 1969

Bunyip02 said:
    Hello All

Update from me.
    Wings on the Medusa figure caused a bit of grief.
    I could not get the original wings to work in Carrara due to a bone distortion issue.
    My second choice of the Popobawa wings had the same problem.
    Finally tried the wings from the Succubus G2F package and everything is now working.
    I suspect that it's mixing the M4-V4/Genesis/Genesis 2 setup that is not liking what I have been trying to do.
    Still got the transperancy to sort out but it's progress at least.

Next up sorting out all of the shaders, lighting, and cameras, which will be a job on it's own.
    Was hoping to model the splashes but I might need to settle for post-work this time around.
    See how I go.

Everyone keep up the great work.
    Those bogged down by real world stuff hope you get a chance to make an entry.

interesting about the wings, good that you have it sorted , I never knew you could get so many types,