NEW! Novica & Invited Guest Contributors Tips & Product Reviews Pt 6

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited February 2015

I've kept all my messages from Jaderail, and a few others have mentioned they have as well. Uh oh- will we lose the PMs we've kept when we switch forums?! I'd better go do some copy/pastes into Word Perfect.

Post edited by Novica on
  • atticanneatticanne Posts: 3,009
    edited December 1969

We lost them last time, didn't we? I still have Jaderail's messages too.

edited December 1969

These were the forums when I started so I don't know. :)

• FistyFisty Posts: 3,416
    edited December 1969

Xenic found the problem, it was an n-gon on the buckle that got passed me... usually those things just render ugly but apparently crash some versions of 4.7. He's got an update coming down a DIM near you very soo.. er, quickly.

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,805
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the useful reference links on the first page! I always forget they are there as the thread gets long. Just searching the forum for info can be hit or miss so its good to have a consolidated spot for important info.

Rich

edited February 2015

Fisty said:
    Xenic found the problem, it was an n-gon on the buckle that got passed me... usually those things just render ugly but apparently crash some versions of 4.7. He's got an update coming down a DIM near you very soo.. er, quickly.

Before you and I chatted, I submitted a Bug Report and Chrissie was "able to duplicate the crash" so would you relay that to Xenic so he can contact them with the fix news?

RG- you're very welcome. I use them all the time :) I have the "shadow grunge" solution down pat, so I don't have to check for that solution anymore, but it used to be my go-to link.

Post edited by Novica on
    edited February 2015

OT
    I am downloading all my files, and I wasn't happy.
    For what I am paying for fast download speeds, it wasn't happening. I am supposed to get 100 mbps download and 10 for upload and most of the time, the upload was actually awesome. The downloads though- pathetic. The techs came out FOUR times because below were my results. So finally the maintenance team got involved. Yep, look at my new result! And yes, that is wireless.

When was the last time you checked your download and upload speed, and are you getting what you pay for?
    Anyway, to test your download speed/upload, you can go to speakeasy.net, or the one I found most consistent speedtest.net and see if you are getting poor service. Do screenshots to show your provider (from both sites.) Remember to periodically check your speeds. They change! Mine was okay when we first started last year.

So am curious- what's your upload and download mbps and what are you supposed to be getting? What's available? (And mine was United States)

Edit: This was done between midnight and 4am to avoid peak times- I felt it would be more significant. These screenshots are trimmed but I had the date/time in the lower right corner from the computer to show the techs.

downloadspeedFeb9C.jpg
    1105 x 239 - 131K
    downloadspeedFeb9.jpg
    1130 x 1359 - 487K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,666
    edited December 1969

I have no idea what speed I am supposed to get. Here are the results:

daz_website_2.jpg
    702 x 127 - 35K
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,050
    edited December 1969

Do you have a wireless AC router and a wireless AC network card?

edited December 1969

I have to go to my cable company's website and get into the PDF to see what package (aka what you're supposed to get)- the bill itself is very vague. I also don't understand the PING on the left, unless that's the speed the ping went out to test the speed. It doesn't match the final result so that's confusing.

I did okay with around 45 mbps download so if that's what you're paying for, it's quite a decent speed.

edited February 2015

barbult said:
    Do you have a wireless AC router and a wireless AC network card?

We tested both wireless and ethernet cable and negligible difference- that was one thing the techs noted. We have the NightHawk router which is one of two of the top rated (about $300, and an 8/4 setup for transmission of signals (instead of the 4/1 I think it is. Dedicated channels for download and upload.) I'm not very technical and looked all this up last week, but the tech was the one who told me the top routers and research bore that out. Great for gamers too. Not sure what an AC network card is :) I am keeping my modem research in case I want to get one.

I did research the two routers (you have to use approved ones) and they did switch out the routers. But both had the same rating so far as the download capability and both are the 3.0 (not 2.0) DOCSIS.

Post edited by Novica on
  • KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

We recently had ours worked on and it we are getting the speed we are suppose to now. But they had to really fiddle (the guy was here ALL day) to get it sorted. For a while he didn't think they were going to be able to upgrade us. The bottom line is the wires that they use are just not up to high speed internet even though the sales people are pretty happy to sell it to you even if there is no way your going to be able to get those speeds.

edited December 1969

It really annoys me when files in DIM are not the same as the product. Example: Fantasy Poses for Aiko 5 is Fantasy GAMING Poses For Aiko 5. Someone needs to clean up the DIM files so they match the products. Fairytale Collection is FTC for example. You won't get a darned thing if you type in the product name.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,050
    edited December 1969

Heads up: Jen is turning the Dream Home products into DH in the DIM.

edited December 1969

Well, I can understand that as those titles are so long. But not Fairytale Collections and others whose titles are about 5 words. One of the things I've noticed is some things don't even come up with one or two unusual words used. I've done over 1000 files so far and stopped noting everything as it's so common.

• IndigoJansonIndigoJanson Posts: 1,100
    edited February 2015

RG said:
    Thanks for the useful reference links on the first page! I always forget they are there as the thread gets long. Just searching the forum for info can be hit or miss so its good to have a consolidated spot for important info.

Rich

So many times when I do a forum search for DAZ products, it brings me right back to one of Novica's thread. So much useful stuff here, it's impressive how much has been covered. Definitely worth looking through those links to see what catches your eye!

Post edited by IndigoJanson on
  • starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,666
    edited December 1969

oh.. I have always wondered why people have been visiting my thread. Maybe they are searching for products and then visiting my page after seeing my page in the search results. My art is boring. Even Novica's simple portraits look better than my portraits. I do like how Novica renders every product that she purchases. She even comments on people's eyes and how they look with different settings.

edited December 1969

oh.. I have always wondered why people have been visiting my thread. Maybe they are searching for products and then visiting my page after seeing my page in the search results. My art is boring. Even Novica's simple portraits look better than my portraits. I do like how Novica renders every product that she purchases. She even comments on people's eyes and how they look with different settings.

Why thank you- I try to render recent ones, or vendors who come up fairly often on sale so people will know ahead of time. Sometimes I am able to render while they are still on sale. You know, those "four hour" flash sales? (LOL)

On your thread, you experiment around and that's a very good thing. :) And definitely not boring. If you are doing what you like to do, then it's worth doing. It's not like we are all trying to get our art hung in the Smithsonian. (Oh look, they called while I was out at the barn....and asked for SereneNight's phone number for their SciFi exhibition...)

• IndigoJansonIndigoJanson Posts: 1,100
    edited December 1969

oh.. I have always wondered why people have been visiting my thread. Maybe they are searching for products and then visiting my page after seeing my page in the search results.

I wouldn't be at all surprised. I'm sure I'm not the only one who, when on the fence about buying something (hair, especially), will browse through and see how it looks in forum renders. It's useful to see what people are doing with products, the experiments and 'just for fun' stuff, as well as the gallery pieces.

edited February 2015

It's gotten to the point though, that I can't even begin to remember what has been rendered, and it would take months (literally) to try and do links for the five previous threads. I have to be honest and say it's not a priority as I simply have to download all the stuff that I own, then work on my book (which is on hold while I do the files.) Occasionally I do work on them and add a few more to the list. (which is on thread 5. Not bringing forward till I get more done.) So you'll probably see repeats- not exact combinations hopefully (of clothes, hair, character.)

I've worked on this most of the night as I found a really fun combination for an outfit and thought I'd show you.And also M4 and V4 stuff that works on Genesis. This is between 4-6 distant lights, keeping it simple. Going to use M4 pants, and V4 shoes together for our Genesis gal. NO tweaks on the shoes! (Yeah, take note of that.)

Naoki For V4 and V5 (Raiya)
    Elements Hair For Genesis (Daz Originals / Goldtassel)
    Tears Hair For Genesis (Daz Originals / Goldtassel)
    Moonsong Hair (Valea)
    Journeyer Scout for M4 (Daz Originals / MAB / WillDupre)
    Galactic Corps Defender (Daz Originals / Bobbie25 / Sarsa)
    Workboots For V4 (DX30)
    Medieval Sewer (Daz Originals / Imaginary House)

http://www.daz3d.com/naoki-for-v4-and-v5
    http://www.daz3d.com/elements-hair-for-genesis
    http://www.daz3d.com/tears-hair-for-genesis
    http://www.daz3d.com/moonsong-hair
    http://www.daz3d.com/journeyer-scout-for-m4
    http://www.daz3d.com/galactic-corps-defender
    http://www.daz3d.com/workboots-for-v4
    http://www.daz3d.com/medieval-sewer

I haven't done Genesis in awhile, so here we go.

First, this sewer provides the opportunity to have a stone floor and a wooden "fence" look for the background- you wouldn't know your character was in a sewer, so keep this set in mind. :) The render doesn't show the water, which is a canal in front of Naoki. There's barrels and also wall lanterns so you can light your scene dramatically. I would probably increase the bump or displacement of the floor stones a bit for more height/variance.

Naoki (Genesis) has some fantasy makeup options and I wanted to show you the "warrior" one. I raised the hand so you can compare the white warrior makeup with her default skin tone. I do have to say I wish the vendors would include matching body options for the makeups. Her face is white, the body retains the yellowish color. (I know we can work over in Surface to change skin color, but I'd like a one click option.) If you're looking for a white makeup option, keep her in mind. With whiter lights you'd really see a difference.

Elements Hair is shown without smoothing- if you want to get rid of the (IMO) somewhat cartoony look, that should soften it a bit. This hairstyle is fun and funky and can be used in a variety of settings. The bangs can be moved out of the way and there are quite a few morphs to change the bangs (which has its own separate section) sides, and top of the hair. If you want the top knot smaller, easy smeezy.

Next is Tears Hair, which can be used for sophisticated affairs or daily wear, then Moonsong Hair (which also works on generation 4.) Now if you're looking for a long hair for Genesis that has a lot of morphs that help you flow over the curves, this would be an excellent choice. There are wind options that blow it forward, to the side, and other morph options to move each section. Highly recommend.

And surprisingly, both those hairs render fairly quickly. So needing long hair in a reasonable amount of time, Moonsong comes through for you.

Now for the fun. That outfit- kitbashed. The pants are from Journeyer Scout (for M4) and the Workboots are for V4.There's no morphs other than for raising the foot, which wasn't used- and THEY WENT ON WITHOUT ANY PROBLEMS. So wishlist these if you want boot/shoes for your Genesis! :) You can scale them down, I left mine big and clunky.

For the pants, depending on your Genesis hip measurement, select the hip submenu under the pants in the Scene tab, and fiddle with the z scale first. You don't have the options like you normally do for Genesis, it's only scaling. The Z Scale works really well, and you can fix it so it looks good from your camera angle. It also bends, goes sideways, the standard stuff. So try these M4 pants on your Genesis.

As for the top, I wanted something fun so went scrounging around for something that isn't normally used as a top by itself. It's pretty much a buried treasure. Literally. Buried under other pieces of clothing. They really should have showed this in the promo thumbnails, more people would have bought it for casual wear. (Not extreme closeups though- due to texture) I like it and think it can be used for daily wear and with the trimming, it's rather dressy. Nice collar too! This one IS for Genesis, do you know what it is? It's the top buried under the other layers of Galactic Corps Defender!

First two images have the Elements Hair, third is Tears Hair, then Moonsong Hair. Last is the Galactic Corps Defender. Would you have guessed that top was under there? (and that material color is one of the options. I didn't do anything to it in Surfaces.)

CLICK TO ENLARGE, CLICK AGAIN. Large renders.

naokiElementsGalacticCorpsDefender.jpg
    1106 x 1169 - 461K
    naokiElementsMoonSongHr5.jpg
    934 x 2000 - 1M
    naokiElements4.jpg
    934 x 2000 - 998K
    naokiElements2.jpg
    337 x 920 - 237K
    naokiElements.jpg
    1134 x 2000 - 1M
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited December 1969

Orianne Hair (Neftis3D)
    http://www.daz3d.com/orianne-hair

And here is Naoki, Orianne Hair (no tweaks- wanted to test and see how it did with the chest) with the arm pieces and pants of Galactic Corps Defender.

Orianne Hair didn't take super long to render, it's not ultra speedy but not a "OMGosh, when?" hair. And it fits Genesis, Victoria 4, The Kids 4 and MICHAEL 4.

naokiGalCorpsDefendOrianneHr.jpg
    800 x 1200 - 788K
    edited February 2015

Doing files from the Product Library list is an eye opener.

Part of my list from Product Library:
    Freak 4 Hands and Faces (which is in the Freak Hero Pack)
    Freak Hero Pack is also listed. BUT

It has Freak 4 Hands and Expressions files that aren't listed in the Product Library.
    9421_8_dpc_Freak4HandsandExpressions_8.exe and the zip.

Edit: and no, that is not the same as the Hands and Faces.

So by using Product Library files and checking them against what I'd already downloaded, that didn't mean squat. I'd have to open (in Product Library) any combination that has more than one product to see what else is listed.

Post edited by Novica on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,553
    edited December 1969

Some content doesn't show in product view, especially older studff You may have to root around in the runtime or poser side of the house to find where those items are installed and create a product for it.

I like those renders novica. I like that top too. ;)

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

If you install using DIM it ill create Content Library > Product entries for products that don't have metadata.

edited December 1969

Novica said:
    Doing files from the Product Library list is an eye opener.

Part of my list from Product Library:
    Freak 4 Hands and Faces (which is in the Freak Hero Pack)
    Freak Hero Pack is also listed. BUT

It has Freak 4 Hands and Expressions files that aren't listed in the Product Library.
    9421_8_dpc_Freak4HandsandExpressions_8.exe and the zip.

Edit: and no, that is not the same as the Hands and Faces.

So by using Product Library files and checking them against what I'd already downloaded, that didn't mean squat. I'd have to open (in Product Library) any combination that has more than one product to see what else is listed.

It sounds like the old Bitrock installers weren't removed from the Hero Pack. Or are you saying the Bitrock installers are different from the DIM zips?

edited December 1969

I've never understood what Bitrock installers were, frankly. So can't tell you. :) What I'm saying is that the files I mentioned

9421_8_dpc_Freak4HandsandExpressions_8.exe
    9421_8_dpc_Freak4HandsandExpressions_8.zip

are listed in the Product Library in the section where the files are, but only in the columns for download/install for Manual. Not the DIM. They aren't the same as Hands and Faces, which is a product in that bundle. Those are different files. The Hands and Expressions are not a product. I don't know if they show up in Products in Content Library because I'm not using the product, only downloading for storage and moved on to my G's, leaving poor Freak in the dust.

edited December 1969

Novica said:
    I've never understood what Bitrock installers were, frankly. So can't tell you. :) What I'm saying is that the files I mentioned

9421_8_dpc_Freak4HandsandExpressions_8.exe
    9421_8_dpc_Freak4HandsandExpressions_8.zip

are listed in the Product Library in the section where the files are, but only in the columns for download/install for Manual. Not the DIM. They aren't the same as Hands and Faces, which is a product in that bundle. Those are different files. The Hands and Expressions are not a product. I don't know if they show up in Products in Content Library because I'm not using the product, only downloading for storage and moved on to my G's, leaving poor Freak in the dust.

Before DIM, DAZ 3D products were delivered in installers rather than zips. There were a number of generations of installers used; Bitrock installers were the last generation of installers, and were labeled this way, with the 4 or 5 digit SKU's we have now. Those files you listed' have the same content as the DIM-format IM00009421-01_Freak4HandsFaces.zip (unless the DIM version has been updated -- those particular installer names date them to before DS4, and the current DIM zip has metadata, so it's possible other things have been updated).

In summary, you can ignore them, they should be removed from the Product Library pages -- they've been removed from the Pro Bundle, but it sounds like the Hero Bundle page still has them. I don't own the Hero Bundle, but if you wouldn't mind submitting a ticket to let them know those old installers are still on the Hero Bundle page in Product Library they can remove them.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,553
    edited February 2015

The pro bundle includes 30 faces and 30 hands for freak. The page doesn't give a name for this package, and I think it installs only the Faces and hands bundle which is all I have. Maybe this was something renamed which resulted in a second set of files in these bundles?

Capture.JPG
    1438 x 244 - 50K
    Post edited by Serene Night on
    edited December 1969

The 30 bonus poses that come in both the Starter and Pro Bundles. and the 30 bonus hands and expressions that come in the Pro Bundle weren't available separately, and originally the installers for those just used the bundle SKU's.

In the process of converting everything to zips, one of the problems DAZ 3D wanted to fix was that if one of the products in a bundle was updated, they had to separately update any bundles containing that product, since the bundles had their own installers. So they decided that from now on a bundle is just a collection of products, and if you buy a bundle you get separate zips for each product in the bundle. If one product is updated, everyone gets the update, whether they bought the item individually or as part of a bundle.

However, that left these bonus poses/hands/expressions that were only available in the bundles, and hadn't been set up as individual products. Therefore these bonus items were given separate SKU's to distinguish them from the bundles, even though you can't purchase them individually.

When they first started providing zips, they hadn't finished converting everything, so some products were still packed in installers rather than zips. As they continued to convert products to zips, the Product Library pages (which were called Itemized Order History at the time) were updated to deliver zips rather than installers.

This got complicated where bundles were involved, because some of the products were zips while others were still installers, so in some cases the installer downloads didn't get removed from the Product Library page.

edited December 1969

Okay, I'll drop them a report. (I'm going to send a link to our posts, to be sure it's explained right.)

This discussion has been closed.