Daz Studio 4.20[.0.x] Pro, General Release! (*UPDATED*)

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049

Windows update is probably replacing your graphics driver. Check the update history to see if that is happening.

• melaniemelanie Posts: 763

barbult said:

Windows update is probably replacing your graphics driver. Check the update history to see if that is happening.

I thought of that when this first started happening, so I restored my computer to an earlier date before the Wndows update. I just took the plunge a few minutes ago and installed DS 4.20 just to see if something was wrong with my 4.15 and I could render one image, then, when I tried to start another one it crashed on me and I got the "blue screen of death" once again. The thing is, my computer works perfectly for everything else. It's only DAZ Studio that has the problem. I can use any Microsoft Office program, Photoshop Elements works fine, Outlook email is doing great, Edge browser is normal, my Solitaire game is working fine. The only program that messes up is DAZ Studio. I'm totally confused as to what's happening. I was hoping that 4.20 might fix it, but apparently not. I'm mindboggled.

• golem841golem841 Posts: 125

Since a few days, Studio crashes just after the splash screen.

I'm trying to make a clean install which gets stucked in installing the CMS.

I'm not aware of any major change either of hard or software on my PC Win10x64 pro.

I sent the crash log to Daz

Update : the latest Windows 10 upgrade indeed installed Windows drivers for my 2080 TX. I reinstalled nvidia drivers and Studio works again.

• melanie said:

barbult said:

I thought of that when this first started happening, so I restored my computer to an earlier date before the Wndows update. I just took the plunge a few minutes ago and installed DS 4.20 just to see if something was wrong with my 4.15 and I could render one image, then, when I tried to start another one it crashed on me and I got the "blue screen of death" once again. The thing is, my computer works perfectly for everything else. It's only DAZ Studio that has the problem. I can use any Microsoft Office program, Photoshop Elements works fine, Outlook email is doing great, Edge browser is normal, my Solitaire game is working fine. The only program that messes up is DAZ Studio. I'm totally confused as to what's happening. I was hoping that 4.20 might fix it, but apparently not. I'm mindboggled.

Of those only Photoshop Elements, depending on version, is likely to use mor advanced features of the GPU and even then not, I would think, the same ones or to the same extent as Daz Studio

• melaniemelanie Posts: 763

Richard Haseltine said:

melanie said:

barbult said:

Of those only Photoshop Elements, depending on version, is likely to use mor advanced features of the GPU and even then not, I would think, the same ones or to the same extent as Daz Studio

Everything else in my computer works perfectly. Photoshop Elements, Microsoft Office, everything is great. Then I go in to work in DAZ Studio for a little while and BOOM, suddently the Blue Screen of Death! DAZ is the only program that this happens in.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,294

melanie said:

Richard Haseltine said:

melanie said:

Everything else in my computer works perfectly. Photoshop Elements, Microsoft Office, everything is great. Then I go in to work in DAZ Studio for a little while and BOOM, suddently the Blue Screen of Death! DAZ is the only program that this happens in.

Yeah, even if one can carry a bag of potatoes on a handcart, the cart may not work the same if one loads a whale on it.

In certain aspects, DS is the whale.

• GBDubstepGBDubstep Posts: 6
    edited July 2022

Well....[drat]. I shouldn't have installed this update.

First, OOT hair just for some reason falls off the character and follows it if you bake animations.

dForce clothes do the same as well.

Also I can no longer use a sub ani-block for feet posing for entire animation such as for high heels like I could do in 4.16. Now the feet look broken.

Is there anyway to reinstall 4.16?

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • GBDubstep said:

First, OOT hair just for some reason falls off the character and follows it if you bake animations.

Also I can no longer use a sub ani-block for feet posing for entire animation such as for high heels like I could do in 4.16. Now the feet look broken.

Those sound like issues with AniMate, I am not aware of any changes affecting that. Do you have the full version (AniMate 2) or the Lite version (free with DS after the first thirty days of use, during which it is AniMate 2)?

• GBDubstepGBDubstep Posts: 6
    edited July 2022

Richard Haseltine said:

GBDubstep said:

Those sound like issues with AniMate, I am not aware of any changes affecting that. Do you have the full version (AniMate 2) or the Lite version (free with DS after the first thirty days of use, during which it is AniMate 2)?

I have the full version of AniMate2. dForce clothes and OOT hair become detached if the figure does a turn or spin after the aniblocks are baked. It doesn't matter if I add the clothes and hair later or bake the animation with the figure wearing the clothes and hair. I've attached images of what I'm seeing. I've tried to use dForce to force the clothes to stay on but it just ends up exploding faster. Non-dForce clothes seem to be unaffected based on what I've noticed.

What I used for the scene

Figure: Genesis 8 Female. Hair: OOT Steven Hair. Pants: Aeon Every Day 2. Shoes: Angel's Secrets High Heels. AniBlock: Female Walking Construction Set - FWCS Walk V 1 to Turn 360 to Walk V 1. 

Thanks for the response.

Animate Glitch 1.PNG
    1920 x 913 - 383K
    Animate Glitch 2.PNG
    1919 x 1080 - 477K
    Animate Glitch 3.PNG
    1920 x 1080 - 528K
    Post edited by GBDubstep on
  • vozolgantvozolgant Posts: 207
    edited July 2022

I turned off CPU for rendering, meaning ONLY the GPU is allowed to do an Iray Render. If I run out of video card memory, since I only have 4gb, Iray will no longer work, even if I hide everything in the scene, IRAY will not render, it just shows an infinite loop status bar in the bottom right corner. I have to actually restart DAZ Studio in order to get IRAY to start rendering again.

I've never had this problem before in earlier versions of DAZ Studio.  I'm wondering if I should just go back to a VERY early DAZ Studio version.  DAZ seems to keep getting worse. This is crazy.

Post edited by vozolgant on

vozolgant said:

I turned off CPU for rendering, meaning ONLY the GPU is allowed to do an Iray Render. If I run out of video card memory, since I only have 4gb, Iray will no longer work, even if I hide everything in the scene, IRAY will not render, it just shows an infinite loop status bar in the bottom right corner. I have to actually restart DAZ Studio in order to get IRAY to start rendering again.

I've never had this problem before in earlier versions of DAZ Studio.  I'm wondering if I should just go back to a VERY early DAZ Studio version.  DAZ seems to keep getting worse. This is crazy.

The baseload from the OS, DS, the scene and the needed "Working Space" add up to about 4GB's of VRAM on a GTX card, what's left can be used for Iray rendering - In your case, nothing.

• I'm an illustrator and have enjoyed using DAZ 3d models as a reference for many years, but a couple of weeks ago, the program (4.16) stopped rendering and I had to update to 4.20. Now I can render again, but it takes freaking forever compared to before. Simulations I don't even touch, again it takes forever.

It is now so bad, that I've stopped using DAZ for my professional work, since it just takes too long to come up even with simple renders at a low resolution and the renders are grainy and look bad. 

I'd wish I could get my former version back. 

• And when I try to save stuff DAZ often just crashes lately. That sucks big time and is annoying as hell.

I work on a Mac 2,7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5 with 48 GB RAM. Not the newest outfit, but also not the slowest.

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,473

oliverdenker_689b56c541 said:

And when I try to save stuff DAZ often just crashes lately. That sucks big time and is annoying as hell.

I work on a Mac 2,7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5 with 48 GB RAM. Not the newest outfit, but also not the slowest.

What macOS version are you running?
    I use DS 4.20 on a daily basis, mostly on a macStudio M1Max and an old MacPro 2013 with dual 6-core Xeons, both currently running ,macOS 12.4, but I also have two MacPro 2012 running macOS 10.13 and macOS 10.14.

edited July 2022

PerttiA said:

vozolgant said:

The baseload from the OS, DS, the scene and the needed "Working Space" add up to about 4GB's of VRAM on a GTX card, what's left can be used for Iray rendering - In your case, nothing.

Just because I run out of video card memory, doesn't mean that Iray should cease to function until I restart DAZ. I should be able to hide objects in the scene, and that should reduce video card memory usage, leading to IRAY being able to render.

Very simply, there should be a way to add and remove objects to and from the video's cards memory.  If I delete clothing in my scene, video card memory usage shoudl become lower, right? Get it?  

Once I run out of video card memory just ONCE, I cannot get the IRAY to render again, even when I hide everything in the scene. That is a bug IMO.

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,473

Sounds like a bug, and with 99% certainty the bug is in Iray, which is out of control for the Studio devs.

• Totte said:

Sounds like a bug, and with 99% certainty the bug is in Iray, which is out of control for the Studio devs.

It's always been like this, at least a Studio restart is required and some people have found they ahve to do a system restart (though I think that is rare).

In any event, you can use Iray with the CPU if you need a quick look.

• DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 7,845

The same applies to gaming when using high settings and the system complains. Usually one has to restart the game using lower settings, it is not enough just to lower the settings midgame.

• 994084566994084566 Posts: 1
    edited July 2022

When installing daz4.20.0.2, it will get stuck halfway through the download

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
    edited July 2022

Richard Haseltine said:

Totte said:

It's always been like this, at least a Studio restart is required and some people have found they ahve to do a system restart (though I think that is rare).

In any event, you can use Iray with the CPU if you need a quick look.

When you enable CPU and GPU usage, here's what actually happens (you probably already know this):

Iray will prefer to use GPU, but if GPU video card bug occurs, GPU will no longer get used for the rest of that DAZ Studio session. This means the user is unknowingly using ONLY THE CPU for their entire session, and the GPU sits there doing absolutely nothing.

It's only when you disable CPU, and try to force DAZ Studio to always use the GPU does this HUGE problem truly emerge; become apparent.

I'd classify this as a catastrophic bug, which essentially puts DAZ Studio 4.20 into an ALPHA state, because it cannot reliably use the GPU without running into a major, catastrophic, enormous bug, without requiring DAZ be restarted or the computer restarted.

I'd classify this as a SEVERE BUG that needs to be brought to the attention of the devs, and rectified as soon as possible. 

Be our hero, HELP US, PLEASE!

• It isn't a bug, it's a limitation, and it is Iray, not Studio, and it isn't new. There is nothing Daz can do about it, and possibly nothing nVidia can do.

• Richard Haseltine said:

It isn't a bug, it's a limitation, and it is Iray, not Studio, and it isn't new. There is nothing Daz can do about it, and possibly nothing nVidia can do.

Of course there's something that nVidia can do: fix their driver. The question, until they finish open sourcing their driver, is if/when they will.

When the outsourcing is complete, you will find an entity responsible for its stewardship that exists for no other reason than to make the software work for you. It will have a distinct point of contact. Over an open medium, it will have prompt communication with the most important person in the context, you, and you'll be part of a community that also includes the very developers.

This is yet another lesson in why Open Source software is to be preferred and demanded, always: It makes everything about using the software better.

nVidia can't fix the users case if the GPU has only 4GB's of VRAM, the only remedy is to get a new card with more VRAM.

• TheMysteryIsThePoint said:

Richard Haseltine said:

It isn't a bug, it's a limitation, and it is Iray, not Studio, and it isn't new. There is nothing Daz can do about it, and possibly nothing nVidia can do.

Of course there's something that nVidia can do: fix their driver. The question, until they finish open sourcing their driver, is if/when they will.

When the outsourcing is complete, you will find an entity responsible for its stewardship that exists for no other reason than to make the software work for you. It will have a distinct point of contact. Over an open medium, it will have prompt communication with the most important person in the context, you, and you'll be part of a community that also includes the very developers.

This is yet another lesson in why Open Source software is to be preferred and demanded, always: It makes everything about using the software better.

What makes you think it's the driver? What do you think is broken, in Iray or the driver? What performance impact do you think any fix might have?

• Richard Haseltine said:

TheMysteryIsThePoint said:

Richard Haseltine said:

What makes you think it's the driver? What do you think is broken, in Iray or the driver? What performance impact do you think any fix might have?

OK, you may sustitute "user-space library, i.e. Iray" for driver, if you like. In any case, it's still on nVidia. I have no idea which is broken, but in my experience, things like a session staying corrupted is just a bug to be fixed, like some kind of global data strcucture that exists outside of the session is not being reset, so closing the session and reopening one is not helping. I again have no idea, but it is hard to imagine something that is done once and intermittently having a significant impact on performance.

I'm just suggesting that it is much, much more probable that there's an error in either Iray or the driver than that it's an insurmountable technical problem that no one can fix. One comes across many, many of the former, and precious few of the latter. And I suspect that by Linus' Many Eyes theory, the quality of at least the driver will improve at some point in the future when many people can now see the code and catch bugs. Right now, the people responsible for the driver working perfectly and who truly understand it is probably lower than you think.

• What macOS version are you running?

Catalina  10.15.7

• JenXJenX Posts: 12

I just want to know how to fix this on my end, because I have projects with timelines. 
    I can't render with either iray or 3Delight. It crashes no matter what I put in the scene. I tried to build a scene. I tried an old scene. I tried a cube with one light. The renders crash, Sometimes the program crashes. I have DS Set to send bug reports automatically, but the bug reports don't tell *me* anything. 
    What windows settings do I need to roll back to? What settings on my Nvidia graphics card do I need to roll back? Do I need to roll back my installation of DS? I'm not as tech savvy as I used to be in fixing things, I just need to be told what to do to fix it :/ 

JenX said:

I just want to know how to fix this on my end, because I have projects with timelines. 
    I can't render with either iray or 3Delight. It crashes no matter what I put in the scene. I tried to build a scene. I tried an old scene. I tried a cube with one light. The renders crash, Sometimes the program crashes. I have DS Set to send bug reports automatically, but the bug reports don't tell *me* anything. 
    What windows settings do I need to roll back to? What settings on my Nvidia graphics card do I need to roll back? Do I need to roll back my installation of DS? I'm not as tech savvy as I used to be in fixing things, I just need to be told what to do to fix it :/ 

We can't help, if you don't give us any information about your system and drivers you are using. 

• DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 7,845

JenX said:

Try a simple scene again. e.g. a cube and light. If it crash, save the log and attach to your post.

• JenXJenX Posts: 12

PerttiA said:

JenX said:

We can't help, if you don't give us any information about your system and drivers you are using. 

*Intel Core i7
    *16GB RAM
    *Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 Super
    *512GB NVMe SSD
    *Windows 10

all 3 (DS, Driver, and Windows) updated yesterday, and now I can't run DS. Do I rollback all 3? Do I do one at a time to see what broke?