WinterMoon Wants Attention.

Comments

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,648

I know what you mean by you can''t play games while rendering especially ones that big!!

I think your girl hanging onto the rails is amazing!!!

• WinterMoonWinterMoon Posts: 1,893

Saphirewild said:

I know what you mean by you can''t play games while rendering especially ones that big!!

I think your girl hanging onto the rails is amazing!!!

Thank you! laugh heart It sounds like you know about Planet Zoo. Are you also a pixel zookeeper?

I used to be a zookeeper a few months ago until I learned that I could not do both play it and play with my Daz!

Daz kinda won the battle because I was getting so many freebies at the time.

Saphirewild said:

I used to be a zookeeper a few months ago until I learned that I could not do both play it and play with my Daz!

Daz kinda won the battle because I was getting so many freebies at the time.

Daz Studio has temporarily won here as well, because it's so hot in my "office" that my poor computer is feeling unhappy when I let a game run for too long. My first zoo was getting too big, and I was getting frame rate probz. What are your favourite animals in PZ? I've got a soft spot for the African wild dogs myself.

Who remembers this colourful, curly-haired young lady? It's Raelynn's online BFF, Mikayla. She's my own online BFF SammyFrog's character, but I ended up making her character model because Sam doesn't have Bridget 8 yet.

According to Sam, Mikayla resembles both a younger Bridget (She's aged down to teen.) and an older Sarah Collins from Dark Shadows. I tried my best to make Bridget look like Sarah. Anyway, Sam was happy with the result.

This is supposed to be her yearbook photoshoot for 2022. Her school updated the backdrop to be more aestetically current, I guess. Yes, Raelynn had her photos taken too. They're coming next, and Raelynn has officially earned at least a temporary spot as my favourite model. 

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,063

Very good looking character!  Looks more real than many I've seen.

Dana

DanaTA said: Very good looking character!  Looks more real than many I've seen.

Thank you, Dana, but I can't take too much credit. She's using Bridget as the base, and I think that's where the realness comes from.

So yeah.... hi. 

It's been months! I haven't left the community or the hobby, I've just had other stuff to do for a while. Also, I'm in the process of moving a lot of my DS content over to an external hard drive, and I've accidentally moved the .exe to somewhere it shouldn't be. frown Ooooops. 

Anyway, I never got around to posting Raelynn's "Yearbook pictures" for 2022 before. She's having a less crazy phase in her aesthetic recently, but I'm starting to miss her old, wild look.

It's struck me over the last year or so that Raelynn has a striking similarity to a young make-up artist/influencer, who's starting to make it big. If you know who she is, you probably see it. This is completely unintentional! surprise (That said, it amuses me how much of a Raelynn-ish personality that girl seems to have.)

So guys.... update: I've messed up. Like really messed up. I should probably just reinstall everything, but I feel like I would break stuff even more if I did that. Since I'm too embarrassed to ask for help in the technical boards, because it's always turned out to be something really stupid I've done every time, I'll just try to figure this out on my own! That's probably a good idea. So let's see what gives in first - my pride or my perseverance. frown

I'll start being active in the community again soon, at least to comment.

• WinterMoon said:

So guys.... update: I've messed up. Like really messed up. I should probably just reinstall everything, but I feel like I would break stuff even more if I did that. Since I'm too embarrassed to ask for help in the technical boards, because it's always turned out to be something really stupid I've done every time, I'll just try to figure this out on my own! That's probably a good idea. So let's see what gives in first - my pride or my perseverance. frown

I'll start being active in the community again soon, at least to comment.

on the other hand, it may be that asking for help will stop things from getting worse.

Richard Haseltine said:

on the other hand, it may be that asking for help will stop things from getting worse.

I know, but I just have this weird anxiety about trying to explain a situation. In this case I'm not completely sure what I've actually done, so I need to do some exploration before I even try asking for advice. The less I need to say, the easier it will be, in my experience. I always stress out about choosing the exactly correct words and phrasing, to make sure I manage to express what the problem is. This is no one else's problem, but I come from a background where breakdown of verbal communication was a constant source of trouble, so I just get that nope feeling every time I need to explain something. 

Very TL;DR version is something like "I've got DS partially installed in two separate locations now, and I need to merge them into one."

Yuzz, reinstalling. laugh See you soon?!

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,748

frown

Hylas said:  frown

LOL yeah. I messed up so badly I didn't know how to even explain what I'd done! crying

So, quezzion. When you're messing around putting dForce on things that aren't made for it, what settings do you adjust to make it stretch less and just kind of fall down more? I think the picture illustrates pretty well what I mean. That weird section inside the white rectangle isn't supposed to be there. It appeared as the whole skirt section started sliding downwards. Only the skirt part is visible in the simulation, I turned it off for the top section and the belt. (And they stay as they're supposed to.)

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,748

She lives! laugh

I can not answer your question but I am so glad your back!!!laugh

• If the top part isd invisible to simulation it will be completely ignored, even as an anchor for the attached part. Instead set the Dynamic Strength to 0 and you won't have the skirt enter free fall.

Richard Haseltine said:

If the top part isd invisible to simulation it will be completely ignored, even as an anchor for the attached part. Instead set the Dynamic Strength to 0 and you won't have the skirt enter free fall.

You mean Dynamic Strength to 0 for the parts I don't want dForced, right? Got it. Thanks! smiley

Hylas said: She lives! laugh

BARELY. crying

Saphirewild said: I can not answer your question but I am so glad your back!!!laugh

Aww, thank you! smiley

So here I am, crawling out of some hole in the woodwork and easing myself back into rendering. I actually love how this one came out, imperfections or not. Liranda is one of my favourite OCs, and she really deserves more screen time. I'm sure she agrees!

Anyway, this render kind of just happened like this. I wanted to do a "gothic" night-time image with her, and started playing around with placing a spotlight. The shadow on the wall was a side effect, but I loved it and knew that it had to be the main feature. It took a lot of attempts to get the environment dark enough to where she appears to rise up from the shadows. Less shadowy horizontal version is in the making.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,035

Realistically, there's no way that those lighting conditions would create such a sharp shadow, but that's what makes it so striking. Since her pose is a little indistinct from a straight-ahead view in that lighting, the shadow is extra uncanny, like it's making a different pose than she is.

@Gordig Yeah, the light isn't realistic in the strictest sense. But this is Liranda, and she breaks any rule that wants to hold her back. Not even laws of nature are sacred to her. surprise There's meant to be a light source out of view, like the headlights of a vehicle. Maybe a motor bike, with a single front lamp. She's definitely meeting up with someone.
    It does look like the shadow is striking a different pose! I noticed while it was rendering, but I reckoned it was a "me seeing things" situation. Good to know someone else sees it too!

WOW WOW WOW @Wintermoon you really outdone yourself with this render!!

It looks like it is right out of a Steven King novel cover!!!

Saphirewild said: WOW WOW WOW you really outdone yourself with this render!!

It looks like it is right out of a Steven King novel cover!!!

Wow, thank you! heartblush I was thinking it sort of looked like a cover image, but more along the lines of a musical album.

I also did a horizontal (landscape?) version, because I want people's honest opinion on whether it works, like at all. I'm at a point where I feel like I've got a grip on the basics (Only took like four years, LOL!) and I want to evolve as an artist. This is the first version I rendered, the portrait version came after this one, and it's incredibly dark. On my desktop monitor I can clearly see the outline of the bench in the background, and even the stairs when I look at it in full res. My Chromebook, however, nope. Looking at it on that, I can only see Liranda from the waist up, and I guess that's how it looks to a lot of people. So we needed a slightly brighter version.

This is version 2, which is my personal favourite out of the three I made. It's still dark and moody, and the contrast is still good, but she's no longer hovering in a sea of darkness. (Although, metaphorically speaking, she always is. Liranda is the Queen of Sorrow.) Like I said, this picture kind of reminded me of early 90s CD cover art, where the image wrapped around the cover. This is laid out in the wrong direction for that, so let's flip it and see.

You must be starting to become tired of looking at this picture by now, so this is the last version I'll post in this thread. I've made two more, that I'll just link to. There's a brighter rendering of the large version, which I did for trying filters on, and another attempt at the portrait version. If you look closely, you'll notice that the second portrait doesn't have the DoF effect, which I added in postwork on the others. I accidentally let this one render until there was no fireflies to speak of, so I just let it be and didn't add the blurring.

And that's that.

So I don't have any interesting renders to share. Lately I've been trying and mostly failing to do some real-life stuff I only have a vague idea of how to do, and it's removed my thoughts from art for a while. Last night I couldn't sleep though, and I decided to make a new version of my sexiest character.

....Aylatani. My first model of her was G3, because I made her so long ago that I hadn't collected much G8 resources yet. I had this set of free morphs for G3, which helped me exaggerate her features into almost what she looks like as a Sims 2 character. (I didn't want my "realistic" model quite as impossibly angular as the Sim, tho.) However, it was time for an upgrade - mostly because I lost the free morphs in a reinstall, and I needed to resculpt her nose anyway. 

I may have just gotten used to her face over the years, but darn if she doesn't look almost pretty with the subtle changes and new materials.

Neutral expression, click for bigger.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,035

How did you even get her eyes that angle?

Gordig said: How did you even get her eyes that angle?

Eye corner heights and 100 and -100, eye rotation at 100, plus some morphs that move and tilt the eyes, also at 100.

Welp. I've been back to playing around in Studio lately, although most of what I've done has been dressing my characters up in different periode fashions. This woman, from right now ago, is the first presentable render I've done in a while. It's concept art for an antagonist in a mystery novel set in the late 1940s. I've nicknamed her Vera. Her appearance is loosely based on Old Hollywood stars Norma Shearer and Rita Hayworth. She's got a lot of Mousso "DNA" in her. The head morphs for Romina and Sonja are partially dialled in, and her skin materials are from Leda.

This is what she initially looked like. I got feedback from her creator that she needed a more upturned nose, wider jaw and a smaller upper lip. Oh, and could I try giving her darker blue eyes? Those small changes made a huge difference.

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,063

Nice work!