Carrara Challenge #62 "Clowns and Other Circus Stuff" -

Comments

• ed3Ded3D Posts: 1,989

Bunyip02 said:

Diomede - you are having lots of fun with those figures that you creating - look fantastic !!!

Headwax - 3 weeks sounds good, thinking of doing another animation !!!

ed3D - your clown is coming along nicely !!!

UB - hope your animation is working out !!!

Wendy - thanks for your help !!!

Stezza - Eggcellent !!!

~   and thanx  kindly  ~ 

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited May 2022

Wendy,

I've reread your tutorial several times.  It is starting to sink in.  I always appreciate you trying to help. yes

I'm hoping that reducing this into bite-sized chunks will help me fill in the gaps.  The devil is in the details.  So here are your words, and my questions.

it only really means installing  any version of D|S 32 bit, I use the current 4.20 beta because that is where DAZ has all the configuration files for some of their core figures like V4 and M4

This was confusing.  First, which older DS versions were 32 bit?  I have 2.3.3.146.  Is that 32 bit?

Second, will downloading an old version of DS screw up my Daz-Carrara pathways?  For me, that would be a disaster.

Third, does DS 4.20 beta contain the older files?  The way you wrote the sentence, it sounds like it does.

Finally, the last step in the Mimic process is unclear to me.  Other than finding the V4 dmc files, the other steps you outlined were clear (the V4 cr2 was right where you said it would be).  After creating the pz2 file in Mimic, how do I load it into Carrara?

Once I learn that last step, I can try it out using the regular Mimic Lite content.  If that works, I can then take the next step in loading and findiing those old V4-M4 files (hopefully).

Thanks!

PS - I don't find that loading visemes, etc, by hand is all that daunting.  Actually, it is kind of fun.  But I want to learn how to do it more than one way, hence following your tutorial.

Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,871
    edited May 2022

32bit and 64bit has nothing to do with how old it is

I have the latest beta in both 32bit and 64bit because I use the lipsync feature in the 32bit for Genesis 3 to 8.1 when using DAZ studio

32bit and 64bit are Windows processor types, a 64bit computer can run 32bit programs

64 is better as it has no RAM limit, 32 can only use 3.5GB of RAM (though you can make 32bit programs LargeAddressAware)

DIM was only 32bit untill recently

you can install the beta and not overwrite your prefered release build, it installs to a separate folder, the advantage is you have the latest version of DAZ studio while you can keep an older release version

I use 4.11 as my 980ti works better with it as I can disable Optix Prime giving me an extra GB of VRAM

and if you put the pz2 in you runtime\libraries\pose folder you can load it in Carrara like any pose from your pose library

as for V4's dmc

if it's where I said it was you must have the 32bit version installed

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

you can install the beta and not overwrite your prefered release build, it installs to a separate folder, the advantage is you have the latest version of DAZ studio while you can keep an older release version

That was fast. :)  It is news to me that Daz continues to make a 32 bit version.  Where can I find that 32 bit beta release?

edited May 2022

UnifiedBrain said:

That was fast. :)  It is news to me that Daz continues to make a 32 bit version.  Where can I find that 32 bit beta release?

in DIM

you need to check programs Public build both 32bit and 64bit

and yes lots use the 32bit for lipsync like me 

oh and you may need to "buy" the beta for free if you haven't yet

https://www.daz3d.com/daz-studio-beta

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,927

Diomede said:

Not a success, but here is a possible hair technique with certain hats worn at a tilt.

I tried to create a Mae West based character but I don't think I've quite found it yet.  Fur wrap over the shoulders, big hat, gaudy earrings, blonde hair from a bottle, fancy dress showing off curves. 

For the hat and hair, I modeled a hat and then cut and pasted part of the skull from the figure mesh into the mesh for the hat.  I deleted polygons under the hat.  I created shader domains for where I wanted to grow hair.  I planned to combine two separate dynamic hair objects, not two regions within the same hair object.  Think it gives more freedom.  Anyway, In addition to hair grown on the hair cap, I grew hair from the inside lip of the hat over the exposed part of the skull.  Conceptually I think this worked out OK, although the current lighting and shaders blow the whole thing out. Lots of edits coming to the Mae West accessories, I guess, but the hair concept seems to work. 

The fur wrap is a separate rigged figure.

sorry I just saw this, great technique thank you again for sharing @Diomede

Diomede said:

Put a pause on Mae West.  Here are Chico and Harpo.

wow Ted, I know where you can get a job working for the BBC :) Nice characters, just classic!

ed3D said:

~  and then  ~ 

Incomplets , but alrites  _ thanx 

the tie makes the cake, it's all in the detail !!!

UnifiedBrain said:

UnifiedBrain said:

Getting ahead of myself, I'm sure.  But I just loaded an NLA clip into Carrara, a walk cycle for V4.  I stretched out the clip and set it to loop for the whole 7 seconds.  After I hit play, she did the first cycle, then quickly jerked a meter to her left, continued for another cycle, jerked to the left again, then finished the cycle.

Does anyone have any idea why she is jerking a small distance to her left between cycles?

Still a mystery.  It is doing the same thing today using a new V4, new scene, etc.  Maybe the clip has a glitch?  Probably not, as it is part of Phil's tutorial.

In loading this, I was jumping ahead.  But it should have worked.  I have a feeling that it is a common issue, like V4 being green when you first load her.  Hopefully it will be as easy to fix.

Where is Dart when you need him? :)  Hopefully he hasn't fully gone over to the dark side.

Edit - Ironically, I just went outside on a walk myself, and solution popped up in the first few minutes.  I was stretching out the walk a random amount, and wasn't being precise enough in setting the length of each cycle.  It has to fit evenly in the 24 frame cycle.  Otherwise,Carrara will interpolate its best position guess to fit the uneven number.  Now it works great!

Yup, about the same as V4 being green. :)

ha ha that has to go in the Carra wiki :)

I had a similar problem and gave up!!

Stezza said:

eggflip cool

the usual @Stezza brilliance - really loving the speedlines and the eyeballs :)

For UB et al here's an example of Mimic pro which I forgot I had.

I tried adding two mimic pro files but it didnt record the second track so I joined them on this online site Online Audio Joiner — Merge Audio Files for Free — Clideo

I converted text to wav here Convert Text to Speech Audio file Online App - Free Online Text to Speech Audio file converter (aspose.app)

I didn't do anything special - as you can tell :) just went by the destructions - loaded mikes DMC file then clicked make lip synch or similar

(427) Carrara Mimic Mucking Around Like a Clown - YouTube

(427) Mimic1 - YouTube

WendyLuvsCatz said:

UnifiedBrain said:

in DIM

you need to check programs Public build both 32bit and 64bit

and yes lots use the 32bit for lipsync like me 

oh and you may need to "buy" the beta for free if you haven't yet

https://www.daz3d.com/daz-studio-beta

This is kind of boggeling.  I easily found the files, thanks.  However, I am not someone comfortable with installing files when I have no idea where they will go, or what the effect will be on my current setup.  So, hitting "start queue" - which means that these files will be installed - gives me pause.  Where will they install, and why will they not affect my current setup?

Beyond the question about the two beta versions, in looking at the installed files tab of DIM, I see that Daz Studio 4.20 Win 64 is installed.  WTH?  The version I currently use is 4.12.  Why does DIM say that 4.20 is instralled?

As for "buying" the beta, apparently I have already bought it, as the link says purchased.

<<<and yes lots use the 32bit for lipsync like me>>>

Fascinating.  Totally didn't know that.  A lot of moving parts (pun intended) to gathering animation assets.

edited May 2022

DIM will give you a list showing exactly what is installed and where

alternatively you can choose to download and not install the zip and extract it to a folder and inspect it

nothing on my computer is installed to default places

I have all of Unreal engine and content on two externals for example 

DAZ Poser stuff on another few

I have 5 large external drives

edited June 2022

WendyLuvsCatz said:

32bit and 64bit are Windows processor types, a 64bit computer can run 32bit programs

64 is better as it has no RAM limit, 32 can only use 3.5GB of RAM (though you can make 32bit programs LargeAddressAware)

_   What is the max RAM for a 64-bit?
    _  this explains the limits of Windows Versions _
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/memory/memory-limits-for-windows-releases

thanx 

Post edited by ed3D on
    edited June 2022

Headwax said:

ed3D said:

~  and then  ~ 

Incomplets , but alrites  _ thanx 

the tie makes the cake, it's all in the detail !!!

_ well , Thanx - thought the Tie was a good Addtion  

and  "the Devil is in tbe Details "    Thanx  ~

Post edited by ed3D on
    edited May 2022

yeah there obviously is a limit but you would be only hitting that trying to run Windows on hardware capable of having in excess of 128GB of RAM or more

unless you are planning on installing Windows on your Blade server one is unlikely to have a problem devil

that said the HP Z8 runs Windows 

I want one https://petapixel.com/2017/09/13/hp-z8-pc-can-upgraded-insane-3tb-ram-48tb-storage/ must buy a lotto ticket this month

WendyLuvsCatz said:

browse to your cr2 and dmc files

the ones you want may be in several places

you need D|S 32bit installed for M4 for example and it will be in C:\Program Files (x86)\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzmimic\Configuration_Files

Awesome Wendy, they were exactly where you said they would be.  I suddenly realized that I probably had DS 32 bit installed on my old computer,.  I keep it plugged in, but I hadn't turned it on in years.  Sure enough, there they were.

Things have been more hectic around here for the past few days than normal.  I will hopefully be able to try them out tomorrow.

edited June 2022

Success!  Thank you again for the tutorial.  All of this is so new that it took a while to sink in.

And that was only one step. surprise

On the bright side, I should get an animation done before AI takes over. smiley

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,757

Keep doing one step at a time, they add up after a while !!!

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,085

Congrats on progress, UB.  I took a break but have cleared time this week.  Dont extend the deadline on my account. The mimic discussion is very informative.  Thanks.

WendyLuvsCatz said:

yeah there obviously is a limit but you would be only hitting that trying to run Windows on hardware capable of having in excess of 128GB of RAM or more

unless you are planning on installing Windows on your Blade server one is unlikely to have a problem devil

~  alrite then , thanx 

Bunyip and Diomede, thanks for the encouragement! 

And as Diomede said, don't extend the deadline on my account.  It will likely be weeks before I can produce a reasonable (to me) animation.  I'm currently replicating each of Phil's video tutorials.  Since I'm still in the early going, this will take a while.

I do have a question for Headwax.  I entered a render in a recent Rendo contest.  It didn't win (and that is another story).  I recently modified that render by changing the filters, lighting, and by adding some characters - about 10 houirs of work.  However, it still uses the original characters and poses, so the scene in general looks the same.  At what point is a published render considered to be different enough to enter in a new Challenge?

UnifiedBrain said:

Bunyip and Diomede, thanks for the encouragement! 

And as Diomede said, don't extend the deadline on my account.  It will likely be weeks before I can produce a reasonable (to me) animation.  I'm currently replicating each of Phil's video tutorials.  Since I'm still in the early going, this will take a while.

I do have a question for Headwax.  I entered a render in a recent Rendo contest.  It didn't win (and that is another story).  I recently modified that render by changing the filters, lighting, and by adding some characters - about 10 houirs of work.  However, it still uses the original characters and poses, so the scene in general looks the same.  At what point is a published render considered to be different enough to enter in a new Challenge?

Sorry Ub, I didn't see this.

I think the answer in this particuar case, lies with the artist.

I think if you have done a lot more work on it then it should be considered a new work.

So yes, happy if you enter it!

About a week to go. Please let me know if you need more time.

cheers ;)

Headwax said:

I think the answer in this particuar case, lies with the artist.

I think if you have done a lot more work on it then it should be considered a new work.

So yes, happy if you enter it!

Thanks! 

edited June 2022

Cirque Du Sauvage

(Circus of the Untamed)

Diomede pointed out that Ringling Bros was restarting their famous circus, but without animals.  This is what happened to the animals. :)

G3F and the Daz Big Cat are the main characters.  Various other Daz critters should be easy to recognize, supplemented by a couple of OBJ's and a Philemo cutout.  Carrara hair is Modacuts.

Plants mostly came from Forest Primevil, and Jungle Hideaway.

Lighting is done with Carrara light cone, lens flare, and custom light gels that I made myself.  A Carrara cloud and GMIC also used.

No postwork, but there was some prework such as face painting G3F.

Cirque Du Sauvage.png
    1800 x 1200 - 4M
    Cirque Carrara setup.JPG
    1549 x 1058 - 402K
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,085
    edited June 2022

Powerful image, UB.  

Here is one a go with some of my silly figures.  I call this GoldiClown and the 3 Bears.  Rendered in Carrara with some post, especially with Filter Forge.  Original Render attached as well.

Goldi and 3 Bears 02.png
    1600 x 1200 - 2M
    GoldiClown and 3 Bears.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 238K
    zip
    zip
    Lion Tamer 04 zip.zip
    1M
    Post edited by Diomede on

Thanks, Diomede.

Great poses and use of filters on your Goldiclown render.  Very creative overall composition!

edited June 2022

And then 

_ the white gloves  " dont look "Right" some how  _  ??  not sure 

thanx

2BIG-SUBMARINE 1B.png
    1920 x 1017 - 288K
    2BIG-SUBMARINE 1A.png
    1920 x 1025 - 207K
    DAV-NT-HER-5-MAYBE_1AF-COPY.png
    1207 x 900 - 300K
    Post edited by ed3D on