SereneNight’s Sci-Fi Fun Thread 3

Comments

• nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,239

inquire said:

A new character: Bruce HD by PedroFurtardoArts. The promo page says, "Anatomical Elements Supported." Now, what does that mean? I tried to communicate with the artist via the Inbox, but apparaently he isn't listed there. I'm guessing there are no anatomical elements provided.  But why is this strange "Anatomical Elements Supported" statement there. Does anyone know for sure about this?

I have both purchased and render Bruce, and he has both anatomical textures and specific anatomical morphs like his Alastair.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,553

Yep, can confirm, Bruce has both types of male elements and female elements as well.

edited May 2022

I loaded Bruce, but wasn't really able to see his HD. So I increased his subdivision. When this occurs his arms around the armpit area as seen here, begin to break up.

bruce-1.JPG
    619 x 683 - 52K
    Post edited by Serene Night on
    edited May 2022

So Bruce HD and Hair is a Genesis 8.1 figure which includes HD, gen mats, and his own hair. I particularly like the hair, his face, and the skin.

He has a bear, muscular dad bod which includes a slight paunch and some larger glutes. His face is adorable and takes expression well.

There are some problems I found with his figure. First, the Default HD is not sufficient to see details, and when HD is increased, he develops seams in his armpit area. Second, his thumbs are rather flat and wide in proportion to his fingers. I'm not sure if that is intentional, but they do look slightly odd to me almost flattened in certain poses. His armpit areas lack detail and seem rounded rather than concave when he flexes and when he moves his arm above his head, the muscles there seem rounded rather than concave.

The skin itself is good. Reminds me of something almost like MAXX. 

I really do like his hair a lot. I can see using this hair for military and action characters. 

He takes poses pretty well. 

As a matter of personal taste, I found narrowing the width of his mouth my preference by 50-60 percent.  I did not do it here.

His default HD loads fine and does not contain a seam that I could tell. It is only when HD subdivision is increased that it becomes visible.

Bruce-13.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 1M
    Dude3.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 1M
    Dude4.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 1M
  • vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,808

Serene Night said:

I loaded Bruce, but wasn't really able to see his HD. So I increased his subdivision. When this occurs his arms around the armpit area as seen here, begin to break up.

Might be worth mentioning that issue to Pedro over in Bruce's thread. If he says it's something he can work on, then it might be worth filing a ticket, since you'd know it was already being addressed. 

Okay, I posted it. =) Thanks for letting me know there is an official thread.

edited May 2022

Here are Owen and Boyd in their new Suits. I think they look best in the jacketless option. I really like the stitching on the light blue shirt

Smoothing5.jpg
    1600 x 1800 - 1M
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890

Serene Night said:

So Bruce HD and Hair is a Genesis 8.1 figure which includes HD, gen mats, and his own hair. I particularly like the hair, his face, and the skin.

He has a bear, muscular dad bod which includes a slight paunch and some larger glutes. His face is adorable and takes expression well.

There are some problems I found with his figure. First, the Default HD is not sufficient to see details, and when HD is increased, he develops seams in his armpit area. Second, his thumbs are rather flat and wide in proportion to his fingers. I'm not sure if that is intentional, but they do look slightly odd to me almost flattened in certain poses. His armpit areas lack detail and seem rounded rather than concave when he flexes and when he moves his arm above his head, the muscles there seem rounded rather than concave.

The skin itself is good. Reminds me of something almost like MAXX. 

I really do like his hair a lot. I can see using this hair for military and action characters. 

He takes poses pretty well. 

As a matter of personal taste, I found narrowing the width of his mouth my preference by 50-60 percent.  I did not do it here.

His default HD loads fine and does not contain a seam that I could tell. It is only when HD subdivision is increased that it becomes visible.

He reminds me of someone but I can't think of who, maybe a heavier version of that Rodin statue 'The Age of Bronze' pose you used in your render? laugh

If the head of hair actually comes with him I'll buy the the product in the future. 

• inquireinquire Posts: 2,088

vwrangler said:

inquire said:

@vwrangler: I'm sorry. I guess I missed some of what you were saying. I'm on a Mac, so how would I get the DAZDeals browser plugin?

It's a regular browser plugin, so as long as you're using Firefox, or Chrome or one of its descendants, you should be able to use it. If you're using Safari, it's not available.

More information here: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/106296/announcing-daz-deals-browser-add-on/p1

I am a proud Safari user.

Is anyone using the Aging Morphs with this product? How about the Skinfolds and Creases product?

He reminds me of someone but I can't think of who, maybe a heavier version of that Rodin statue 'The Age of Bronze' pose you used in your render? laugh

If the head of hair actually comes with him I'll buy the the product in the future. 

The hair does come with it! I am not sure where that pose came from. It was just one from a modelling set. 

edited May 2022

inquire said:

I am a proud Safari user.

Ah, OK. In that case, the way of least resistance (or at least aggravation) is the following:

1. Make a note somewhere easily accessible to you of the FORMAT of the link to the readme:  http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/read_me/index/XXXXX/start

The XXXXX is where you would plug in the SKU number of the product. The SKU can be found on the product page itself, highlighted with the rectangle and arrow in the attached image (click to open in a new window):

Bruce and his SKU

then you type the actual SKU number into the space where you see XXXXX. So Bruce's readme link would be (and is):

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/read_me/index/85670/start  

Alternatively, you can go to the main readme page and do a search for the product name or SKU. However, Daz has yet to implement a search engine that doesn't make me feel stabby. YMMV and all that.

NOTE: Neither of these techniques may work well with SKUs that have four digits or fewer. Many of those were not ported over from the old Artzone wiki, so the current wiki may simply not have readmes for older items.

Hope this helps.

bruceSKUexample.jpg
    1200 x 747 - 108K
    Post edited by vwrangler on
    edited May 2022

@vwrangler: OK, thank you for all this information. I did previously use Firefox, but when they moved up to whatever version, it seemed to me that they were requesting way too much personal information from me. I know what some of these companies do with personal information, so I decided not to register for a new version of Firefox.

In any case, I have always perferred Safari.

Post edited by inquire on
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890

Serene Night said:

The hair does come with it! I am not sure where that pose came from. It was just one from a modelling set. 

OK, that's great then as the hair looks modeled well. It makes the price a relative bargain in today's DAZ 3D Store.

edited May 2022

Here we are again, enjoying our new suits. I really want more texture expansions. =-)

CityLife.jpg
    1600 x 1800 - 2M
  • carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,949

Serene Night said:

Here we are again, enjoying our new suits. I really want more texture expansions. =-)

Which suit is that?

https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-mi-two-piece-business-suit-for-genesis-8-and-81-males

The suit is dForce mi two piece business suit for genesis 8 males.

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,949

Serene Night said:

https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-mi-two-piece-business-suit-for-genesis-8-and-81-males

The suit is dForce mi two piece business suit for genesis 8 males.

Nice  wishlisted  thank you

edited May 2022

So, a while back I picked up the V3D Wet and Tanned skins for Genesis 8 and Genesis 8.1 Males.  I tried this out on Boyd.

Boyd's skin has been pretty modified settings-wise. So applying a product like this tends to make him look pale because it strips the settings and colors the pa added to the skin.  You have a number of settings to adjust skin translucency, tone, and wetness. There is also a product to add some tan lines such as boxer and t-shirt. I will have to go back and test those.  

Boyd- tan.jpg
    1600 x 1800 - 1M
    Boyd-tan2.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 680K
    edited May 2022

This is just a test of Memphis Hair made by 3du. I like the darker colors. When I went blonde with it, it looked too helmet-y. This shade of brown is rather nice. 

Boyd-Beiber3.jpg
    1400 x 1800 - 1M

Bruce HD has been causing a duplicate formula error in all my files with G8M. 

I had to uninstall it. I realize there is an update in the works, but it hasn't dropped yet. If you are considering this character, by all means buy him, but be aware there may be a problem with his files. 

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,050
    Wet and tan Boyd looks great.
    edited May 2022

I have a ton of Zeddicus pose sets that I haven't used yet, so Owen and Boyd got to test this set out. 

2.jpg
    1600 x 1600 - 3M

barbult said:

Wet and tan Boyd looks great.

Thanks!

edited June 2022

So more Owen and Boyd. This time, Boyd is chilling in his quarters. 

I thought I might replace Bitsy with the chihuahua model, but I am kind of fond of the old goofy bitsy with the weird legs. 

Downtime.jpg
    1800 x 1400 - 2M

Maybe they could get a second dog-bot. Bitsy and the chihuahua could have a dog-bot face-off! (Although ... don't they have another pet? I thought I remembered something besides Bitsy, but I could be mistaken.)

I like the idea of Bitsy and a second dog-bot. I am sure so does Grandad. Plus a jealous Bitsy would be cute. Or perhaps Bitsy could someday get an upgrade? Ha hha.

I think Grandad collects stray animals and things, that come his way, so it may not be uncommon for Owen and Boyd to foster another dog from time to time. (Hey it seems plausible).

edited June 2022

On the topic of Women's content that is usable for Genesis 8 males.

So I did buy the Ski Bundle. I was hoping that maybe I could get some pieces of the outfit to work on Genesis 8 male. This is partially true.

I think the ski suit itself, may be a wash. It won't fit at all when you change scene ID, so you must autofit. When you do, there are noticeable issues under the breast, and in the groin. You can smooth some of it away, but it is clear there is bulkiness in the chest region where there are no female breasts. Fortunately, you could probably use any jumpsuit or skin tight suit for this, so I don't think its essential.

The boots survive autofit. You can then change the scene ID For the skis and they will go to the correct location. There is a foot and hand position that is included with the scene, don't forget to use it.

The poles must be fitted using the scene ID method. If not, they become distorted. 

The visor is best to just load at A-position and parent right to Boyd's head.

So I think if I just swap out the suit, and you should be gravy.

So to recap:

1. Parent the visor to the head

2. Suit only fits using Autofit, with smoothing. Kinda

3. Autofit boots

4. Scene ID the skis and then fit to the character.

5. Scene ID the poles.

6. Manually parent the visor.

The texture expansion includes a couple of nice colors so you can mix things up.

ski.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 1M
    edited June 2022

The dForce Puffer Coat outfit for Genesis 8 females, looks terrible on the guys and the jacket bulges in all the wrong places,  but, but, but! It has a great set of pants/tights which could be really useful fit nicely, and bulge well.

puffer.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 602K

So, not sure what's going on with the Mountain Range Ski Resort, but it loads right over Boyd, and Boyd apparently is UNDER this huge giant prop. Then it like super big and unwieldy. Not liking this