SereneNight’s Sci-Fi Fun Thread 3

Comments

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560
    edited April 2022

I don't have a favorite, but I think it's Kwan 8. I'm going to load them up together and take a gander. 

I also caved and bought the boar and Kento's HD. I have no excuse. They leaped into my cart. wink

Post edited by Serene Night on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,155

Kento HD doesn't seem to add much except a course skin texture. Are you sure it is worth the investment?

edited April 2022

Kwan and Kento are very very different. Kwan scaling is under 100 percent, and Kento is at a whopping 104 percent. Even if you scale Kwan up to Kento-size, his proportions appear different. Kwan has more of a red skin tone than Kento who has more of a blue skin tone. Both guys are great, but to me Kento edges Kwan out. 

Kento's face and expressions look more natural to me than Kwan who has that mask-like Gen 8 face rig.  I prefer Kento's eyes to Kwan's whose gray eyes just aren't my favorite

Here I posed them wrestling. I did scale kwan up.They both are nice though. 

wrestling2.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 1M
  • I also like Kento quite a bit and was pleasantly delighted by his textures.  I did not pick up Kento's HD as I thought it didn't add much to the look.

Kento is blending well with other figures, as I often do to customize characters to my liking.  Like Taurus, Kento is good out of the box.

I did pick up the 2 clothing bundles today.  The Futuristic Formal Outfil is nice, but I really wanted to try the Iron Armor one.  There seems to be a store issue with that one.  I've submitted a ticket and am waiting for all the parts of the bundle to show up in DIM.

Lee

edited April 2022

The battle boar is just awesome. Here is Noor riding him (?)  with the BattleWorn armor for Genesis 8 Male. Normally I think the pauldrons are really huge but, it works here, I guess because his arms aren't raised too much. The neck piece can also be a bit of a hazard, so only use this outfit, with a character with their arms down, and head facing straight.

battleboarfin.jpg
    1800 x 1400 - 2M
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,159

Serene Night said:

The battle boar is just awesome. Here is Noor riding him (?)

The size of the teeth strongly suggests that it is male.

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,772
    Oh, you have to give Kwan dark brown eyes and black hair (and ideally a beard) to get him at his best. I don't understand why so many of the promos show him with blue eyes and blond hair, it looks awful.
  • nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,260

The Aerys fix is live and worth the wait.

@Hylas I totally agree. I'm not sure why his default is the gray eyes.

@Nemesis10: oh goodie! Thanks for letting me know.

edited April 2022

So, I was stoked to see that we have at last a male cyborg https://www.daz3d.com/dim4-cyborg-for-genesis-81-males ; after so many female ones. The Cyborg itself is a geoshell but you can apply only sections to give the appearance the character is part cyborg instead of completely robotic.   In this case, I chose to use him on Boyd. There are no gen mats (yeah, I know you were going to ask, right? ), but I see no reason you can't make a set, that matches the plastic or metal if that's what you want.

There are a few 'beat-up textures' included. I only wish there were some normal textures that matched the beat-up ones, so you could have your cyborg 'take damage'. 

I like it. There is a lot to play with. I hope to see more. We kind of need male Cyborgs and robots. 

DIM3.jpg
    1400 x 1800 - 809K
    DIM5.jpg
    1400 x 1800 - 971K
    edited April 2022

So, I was inspired by the Battle Boar. I really wanted to do an image of some elves riding the battle boars, but the thing was so huge, that I was having trouble fitting the boar into the picture in ways that pleased me compositionally. The issue is not simply that the boar is big, it had large areas that are just not visually interesting which are just brown hair. This is okay from a distance, but I struggled to make it look good with someone riding and on the ground, due to the space in between. So, I then loaded up a few other boars together. Maybe I need to find a way to make the boars look different in some way.

At any rate, the boar was jettisoned in favor of the Saber-Toothed cat who simply is lower to the ground, and thus I found it easier to make a tighter composition.

I haven't given up on the boar, I just need to find a way to make the middle ground interesting, or the boars variable enough. 

March.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 2M
    edited May 2022

Owen and Boyd- Sepia. Boyd is in a terrestrial bot body. He usually prefers to fly, but, the shape of this bot by Cofleg was too cool to pass up. 

boyd-bot.jpg
    1800 x 1400 - 1M
  • vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,813

Maybe it jumps really high and far!

It's a very nice image, and the sepia combined with the bot is an interesting effect.

edited May 2022

So I was fascinated by the Squishy Human products for Genesis 8 males.  It definitely is not a product you can expect to use out of the box and get realistic results each time. It seems you'll need to work to get the results you want, but sometime it may be worth the effort.

So first things first, you can load the Genesis 8 or 8.1 Squishy base. Then apply your character. You may need to add details like brows and lashes.  Then you need to set up a timeline and simulate the product from start to finish. Surprisingly for 1 character, I did not find that too lengthy.

Problems I think occur most for me when the product assumes Boyd's muscles are actually fat, or something that might be more... Pendulous.  Areas, around the knees, and his thighs, and glutes tend to get distorted in ways I don't know how to fix. 

I am going to keep playing with the product. 

My first thought is this might be a better product for characters with more body fat than Boyd has. If it's going to sway or move a lot, it's probably not muscle. You can see the difference here in pics 1 and 2. 

RECLINE.jpg
    1800 x 1400 - 981K
    RECLINESim.jpg
    1800 x 1400 - 974K
    edited May 2022

Okay here is another simulation. In this one, I like the way the simulation handles the knee bend, but the hip bone poking out of the glutes looks a bit odd.

For the sake of experimentation the Second pic will be the simulated version.

simulate-sit.jpg
    1400 x 1800 - 1M
    simulate-sit2.jpg
    1400 x 1800 - 1M
  • vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,813

I thought about it, but at least in the promo pics, the effects of Squishy Human are a bit too subtle. It's a little clearer in your images, but it looks like they really might not work well for muscular characters. 

Also, I truly hate timelines.

• inquireinquire Posts: 2,097

vwrangler said:

I thought about it, but at least in the promo pics, the effects of Squishy Human are a bit too subtle. It's a little clearer in your images, but it looks like they really might not work well for muscular characters. 

Also, I truly hate timelines.

+1 I agree, toatally. And yes indeed, in the promo pics, the effects are too subtle. 

I think you are not wrong. One thing I do like is how it handles the biceps. It gets rid of that weird Hershey's kiss bicep.

Also once you add two characters it takes a ton of time, and let's face it you kind of want to use a squish simulator with characters touching..

the knees and glutes can be rather disasterous, and it does treat muscle like fat so that too is weird. Boyd's thighs tend to be the most noticable but affected.

edited May 2022

Okay, this is my final Squish render for now. It is just a test nothing special so not grand art.  You can really see it in the chest and pecs area. Particularly Owen's left pec is sagging. Boyd's left hand has moved slightly. 

I like the way Owen's bicep has smoothed out some. But this scene took 55 minutes to simulate and 5 minutes a pop to render. Is it worth it? I don't think I really want the guy's muscle to sag and droop, although I like it in one area- The bicep.

I think with fantasy, you really want taunt bulging gravity-defying muscles, but you want them to collide properly with surfaces. So while I don't want stuff to droop, I do want them to smooth when touching something else that has resistance.

UNSIMULATED

SIMULATED

CUDDLE-unsimulated.jpg
    1600 x 1800 - 2M
    CUDDLE-Simulated.jpg
    1600 x 1800 - 2M

I broke one of my own rules and bought Matthieu for G8.1 male. That is, I was determined not to buy a character unless he came with materials for the gens. So, I'm wondering, does anyone have knowledge of which other character's gens (G8 or G8.1) would blend in nicely with Matthieu's materials? I do have Brightness Manager, which can either lighten  or darken textures. And I do have a number of G8 characters and some G8.1. OK, so I just thought I'd put out the request and see if anyone could help.

inquire said:

I broke one of my own rules and bought Matthieu for G8.1 male. That is, I was determined not to buy a character unless he came with materials for the gens. So, I'm wondering, does anyone have knowledge of which other character's gens (G8 or G8.1) would blend in nicely with Matthieu's materials? I do have Brightness Manager, which can either lighten  or darken textures. And I do have a number of G8 characters and some G8.1. OK, so I just thought I'd put out the request and see if anyone could help.

I never thought i would write this but may I send you a naked picture?  I figured out a workflow to generate gen textures and wanted to show you the results.

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,951
    edited May 2022

OMG!! i HEARD THAT !!HAHAHAHHHA

EG Shock.png
    2000 x 2000 - 1M
    Post edited by carrie58 on
    edited May 2022

nemesis10 said:

inquire said:

I never thought i would write this but may I send you a naked picture?  I figured out a workflow to generate gen textures and wanted to show you the results.

Sure. I just inboxed you. I'm interested in the workflow.

Post edited by inquire on

inquire said:

nemesis10 said:

inquire said:

Sure. I just inboxed you. I'm interested in the workflow.

Check your inbox!

@nemesis10: OK, I'm back online. I checked and got it. Thanks very much. I'll be trying it soon.

edited May 2022

SDEB, Has a new Male Outfit called "Baggy and Jo Jo" Which looks pretty good. The pants are extra baggy, so if that is not your thing, stay clear. I found the pants did look a bit odd during sitting poses in the crotch area. 

The outfit requires dForce to fit. It throws an error about a missing texture but as far as I can tell, the preload loads them all, anyway.

I think the shoes are particularly nice, but you're going to have to zero the toes to avoid distorting the toe of the tennis shoe.

OUTFIT1.jpg
    1400 x 1800 - 981K
    edited May 2022

Owen and Boyd on the Ferris Wheel. I figured I ought to use the Ferris Wheel for something since I bought it and it languished in my runtime. Boyd is wearing the top from the Baggy and Jo Jo outfit.

ferris2.jpg
    1800 x 1400 - 2M
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,155

I like the extra touch of the popcorn flying out of the bucket.

I'm looking for a good hair piece for Devon HD https://www.daz3d.com/devon-hd-for-genesis-81-male

This one by Kooki99 does come with gens. He's a tough-looking, studly guy. I'm picturing him as a fighter. I've tried various hair sets, but none seem just right. I want the hair short, but somehow stylish, and something that seems to say "I'm ready for a fight. Think you can take me?" Definitely, it must communicate mascularity.

So, any suggestions?

edited May 2022

inquire said:

I'm looking for a good hair piece for Devon HD https://www.daz3d.com/devon-hd-for-genesis-81-male

This one by Kooki99 does come with gens. He's a tough-looking, studly guy. I'm picturing him as a fighter. I've tried various hair sets, but none seem just right. I want the hair short, but somehow stylish, and something that seems to say "I'm ready for a fight. Think you can take me?" Definitely, it must communicate mascularity.

So, any suggestions?

Ha,  i was going in the complete opposite direction with this FE hair:

but I think one that might be closer to your tastes is https://www.daz3d.com/li-crew-cut-hair-for-genesis-8-males

Devon.jpg
    1965 x 1815 - 510K
    Post edited by nemesis10 on