Daz Studio 4.20[.0.x] Pro, General Release! (*UPDATED*)

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,191

forestgrove said:

Richard Haseltine said:

forestgrove said:

Richard Haseltine said:

This is only saved scenes, not loading fresh characters for those figures?

This is also happening with freshly loaded characters. The only character I've added to the runtime in recent weeks is the STEL4 Cyborg.  I uninstalled that, in case it was a morph issue stemming from that, but no joy.  Everything was normal until I went from Studio 4.20.0.2 to 4.20.0.20.  The iris appears significantly larger than the normal assigned area.  Varies slightly from eye map to eye map, but I'm having to modify Iris Size anywhere from -33% to -50% to get normal appearance. Getting this on both 8.0 and 8.1, attempting both 8.0 and 8.1 materials.  Not sure if it's a wireframe issue or a UV issue.  I'm attaching render and wireframe views at Iris Morph = 0.00 and Iris Morph = -50.0%.  The -50.0% view is similar in iris size to what I expected previously.

I assume you mean 4.20.0.17, not 4.20.0.20 (which doesn't exist, yet).

Open the Property Settings dialogue (from the gear icon on the sldier) and check the Controllers - it's almost certainly something there that is causing this, so check each property listed to make sure it is not loading with the wrong value or incorrectly linked to some other proeprty that should suppress it most of the time.

Okay, so I went to Parameter Settings for the Eyes Iris Size morph and checked the Controllers associated with that morph.  First, there's nothing with an ERC that wasn't already there a week or two ago when this wasn't an issue.  I'm not seeing any unusual values or linkages, nothing I wouldn't have expected to see.  Second, this assumes the problem is specifically with the Eyes Iris Size morph.  Adjusting that morph is the corrective action I took to get something resembling a normal iris size - that doesn't necessarily mean the problem is due to the Iris Size morph itself.  And again, I've added no new products except STEL4 within the timeframe where this cropped up - this has never been an issue until sometime between running a render on April 15 and the next time that I used DAZ Studio on May 1.  Just prior to that May 1 use, I added STEL4 to my runtime and updated Studio.  STEL4 does not appear to be associated with Eyes Iris Size.  Is there a possibility that for some reason, a full head morph - something that affects the entire head geometry, including iris size - is kicking in?  If so, would that necessarily show a specific control association to Eyes Iris Size, or does that turn into a needle-in-haystack proposition to identify?

It could well be that one of the controllers is itself being driven by another property - you need to trace back through. Yes, it could be that something else is causing the shape change - in which case you need to figure out what, and then why it is doing so (bad default value itself or bad controller).

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,835

Just upgraded from 4.15 to 4.20

First issue where did the "make panes undockable" option go ?

• DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 7,845

Bejaymac said:

On the pane hamburger menu. It is only present when two or more panes are grouped together.

Undock.jpg
    637 x 420 - 55K
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,294

Bejaymac said:

Was removed as nobody needed it. 

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,835

PerttiA said:

Bejaymac said:

Guess I'll be sticking with 4.15 then as I need that function.

I have one monitor, so I don't have a lot of screen space, so having the Shader Mixer set to undockable means I can have it full screen when I'm working in it, and minimized into the bottom left corner when I'm jumping between it and DS.

In 4.20 I'm having to close the pane all the time instead of being able to minimize it.

Bejaymac said:

PerttiA said:

Bejaymac said:

Guess I'll be sticking with 4.15 then as I need that function.

I have one monitor, so I don't have a lot of screen space, so having the Shader Mixer set to undockable means I can have it full screen when I'm working in it, and minimized into the bottom left corner when I'm jumping between it and DS.

In 4.20 I'm having to close the pane all the time instead of being able to minimize it.

The old undockable option was a stop-gap measure to deal with overzealous docking, that issue was long-since fixed and the behaviour had its issues so it was dropped. That said, you could suggest (feature request) a feature to give the desirable aspects of the old Undockable option (such as being able to maximise and minimise groups/panes) as you certainly aren't the only person who wishes it (though asking doesn't, of course, guarantee implementation)

• got a new good pc so had to download daz studio 4.20 via dazcental ... 

nothing works .. looked in the maps that comes with it and nothing works .. 

so tought theres nothing then i download genesis 8 free from dazcentral and yes it downloads but dont no where it is installed 

i opened daz studio look in the maps and found nothing ... 

i used daz 4.15 for several years on older pc and now how daz works but now im stuck 

dont know what to do ..very annoying 

den70_d96d5ac852 said:

got a new good pc so had to download daz studio 4.20 via dazcental ... 

so tought theres nothing then i download genesis 8 free from dazcentral and yes it downloads but dont no where it is installed 

i used daz 4.15 for several years on older pc and now how daz works but now im stuck 

That sounds like a mismatch between the paths used by Daz Central and the paths used by Daz Studio. You could try download thiss cript, using the link above the code, and dragging it into the Daz Studio Viewport - if it is a mismatch that should add the missing paths http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/scripting/api_reference/samples/file_io/install_manager_config_import/start

• Richard Haseltine said:

den70_d96d5ac852 said:

That sounds like a mismatch between the paths used by Daz Central and the paths used by Daz Studio. You could try download thiss cript, using the link above the code, and dragging it into the Daz Studio Viewport - if it is a mismatch that should add the missing paths http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/scripting/api_reference/samples/file_io/install_manager_config_import/start

i did what you said but it didnt help.. still nothing in the maps what work.. i installed a new item in dazcentral en it wont open and nothing in the maps to ... 

looks a bit like i get daz studio upgrade instead of a fresh new instalation.. dont know ... im so dissapointed  as i wanted to try a rendering with my new pc ... for now cant do nothing with daz studio 4.20.. 

• den70_d96d5ac852 said:

Richard Haseltine said:

den70_d96d5ac852 said:

i did what you said but it didnt help.. still nothing in the maps what work.. i installed a new item in dazcentral en it wont open and nothing in the maps to ... 

looks a bit like i get daz studio upgrade instead of a fresh new instalation.. dont know ... im so dissapointed  as i wanted to try a rendering with my new pc ... for now cant do nothing with daz studio 4.20.. 

oke i got something now... dazcentral stored the files in the local c drive ... i moved the files to my documents daz3d map and added a new path to it in daz studio ... 

its weird that daz not have a standard map that match with where  dazcental put the files..  i solved it  so hope its helpfull other users with the same problem .

• what is happening on DAZ Studio 5. Saw that as app in install manager.

• Hitesh_Sethi said:

what is happening on DAZ Studio 5. Saw that as app in install manager.

We know it is coming, though not as soon as originally announced since they found a way to get DS 4 running on recent Macs, so DIM is just prepared for the day it arrives.

• rorsdorsrorsdors Posts: 47

Has anyone had the new Daz Studio constanly crashing on them? 

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,294

rorsdors said:

Mostly those that don't have enough RAM. 

• I am still running DS 4.16.0.3. I would like to try 4.20.n.m -- the most recent version under general release, not a beta. But from what I am reading in this thread, 4.20 can break some things. In the past I've had updates that variously turned joint limits back on and wrecked some of my scenes (a ticket on the problem I submitted last year was never addressed) or made Man Friday's Render Queue not work. Well I rebuilt all the scenes destroyed by the locked limits problem, and I got Render Queue to work again.

I would like to try out 4.20, but if it breaks tools or characters I normally use, I will want to revert back to v 4.16.0.3. From what I understand it is not possible to go back to a previous version without reinstalling everything from scratch. I hope that is not true. Do you know how I might be able to make a back up of my current version that I can replace the new version wiith if necessary?  Like perhaps making a windows system backup just prior to installation of the new version. All my content and library files are on a separate drive, not the default locations. Does the installation of a new version alter those files too?  (I presume that's what happened with the joint limit fiasco.) So if I make a complete system backup of windows and a complete backup of all DS content and libraries and v 4.40 breaks things, I can get back the old version from those back ups? That's a lot of work in itself. So if you know of an easier way to revert to the earlier version, would you please let me know?  Thanks!

lamoid_5f20d3e469 said:

I am still running DS 4.16.0.3. I would like to try 4.20.n.m -- the most recent version under general release, not a beta. But from what I am reading in this thread, 4.20 can break some things. In the past I've had updates that variously turned joint limits back on and wrecked some of my scenes (a ticket on the problem I submitted last year was never addressed) or made Man Friday's Render Queue not work. Well I rebuilt all the scenes destroyed by the locked limits problem, and I got Render Queue to work again.

I would like to try out 4.20, but if it breaks tools or characters I normally use, I will want to revert back to v 4.16.0.3. From what I understand it is not possible to go back to a previous version without reinstalling everything from scratch. I hope that is not true. Do you know how I might be able to make a back up of my current version that I can replace the new version wiith if necessary?  Like perhaps making a windows system backup just prior to installation of the new version. All my content and library files are on a separate drive, not the default locations. Does the installation of a new version alter those files too?  (I presume that's what happened with the joint limit fiasco.) So if I make a complete system backup of windows and a complete backup of all DS content and libraries and v 4.40 breaks things, I can get back the old version from those back ups? That's a lot of work in itself. So if you know of an easier way to revert to the earlier version, would you please let me know?  Thanks!

Any particular reason why you don't want to install a Beta? It can co-exist with your 4.16.03, assuming it is a General Release.

If you install the program to the default location, e.g. c:\ drive, then creating a Windows system backup will be fine. As your DS content and libraries are on a different drive, there is no need to create a backup of that.

• dawnbladedawnblade Posts: 1,723
    edited June 2022

"About Daz Studio" says I'm running 4.20.0.2 for Windows, and there is an update in DIM with package date of 4/20/2022. I don't install betas so it wouldn't be in DIM.

What version is the one in DIM, and what changes does it include? I couldn't find anything above my installed version in the change log. Should I install it or wait for another update?

Post edited by dawnblade on

dawnblade said:

"About Daz Studio" says I'm running 4.20.0.2 for Windows, and there is an update in DIM with package date of 4/20/2022. I don't install betas so it wouldn't be in DIM.

What version is the one in DIM, and what changes does it include? I couldn't find anything above my installed version in the change log. Should I install it or wait for another update?

Yes, there was an update around that time. You should be fine installing that update. Make a backup of the current 4.20.0.2 IM installation file (IM00013176-01_DAZStudio420Win32bit or IM00013176-02_DAZStudio420Win64bit) to be on the safe side.

DoctorJellybean said:

dawnblade said:

Yes, there was an update around that time. You should be fine installing that update. Make a backup of the current 4.20.0.2 IM installation file (IM00013176-01_DAZStudio420Win32bit or IM00013176-02_DAZStudio420Win64bit) to be on the safe side.

Thanks, is it IM00013176-02_DAZStudio420Win64bit.exe that I'm looking for, because I can't find it? And I have "Delete package after installation" checked in the Installed tab of DIM. Does that affect DS installations or hopefully just content?

dawnblade said:

DoctorJellybean said:

dawnblade said:

Thanks, is it IM00013176-02_DAZStudio420Win64bit.exe that I'm looking for, because I can't find it? And I have "Delete package after installation" checked in the Installed tab of DIM. Does that affect DS installations or hopefully just content?

Delete package after installation affects whatever you install at the time; content, plugins, application, etc. So the original installation package may have got deleted after the install.

You should be fine installing the update in DIM. I'm using the update without issues.

dawnblade said:

I couldn't find anything above my installed version in the change log.

To see what changed, click this link and scroll down till you get to Public Beta (4.20.0.2).

• There is more expansive treatment of the changes here https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/7367281/#Comment_7367281

Thank you Doc and Richard.

• docbotherdocbother Posts: 106

rorsdors said:

This started occurring for me for no apparent reason. I rebooted my pc and the problem went away. I know, how likely is that?

• sandmanmaxsandmanmax Posts: 992

I jumped from 4.20.0.3, somehow to 4.20.0.11  (I guess I accepted the update from the splash screen), which trashed my UI again.  I just updated to 4.20.1.43 and my UI is still trashed (and yes, I know the UI problem is fixed).  I tried exporting my UI from 4.16 and re-importing , but that didn't work. So I need that script  to fix the UI again and I can't find it anywhere. Help?!

edited June 2022

sandmanmax said:

I jumped from 4.20.0.3, somehow to 4.20.0.11  (I guess I accepted the update from the splash screen), which trashed my UI again.  I just updated to 4.20.1.43 and my UI is still trashed (and yes, I know the UI problem is fixed).  I tried exporting my UI from 4.16 and re-importing , but that didn't work. So I need that script  to fix the UI again and I can't find it anywhere. Help?!

Scroll down to the end of the announcement post.

Post edited by DoctorJellybean on
  • sandmanmaxsandmanmax Posts: 992
    edited June 2022

DoctorJellybean said:

sandmanmax said:

Scroll down to the end of the announcement post.

Ok - I'm a little confused.  I ran this in 4.20 and it didn't seem to have any effect.  I closed DS down after running it and I still have the trashed UI.  Should I delete some files from my AppData DAZ 3D\Studio4 Public Build folder?  There are a bunch of XML files (e.g. layout, menus, toolbars) with the current timestamp.  Since they already exist, maybe the script isn't doing what it should?

I could uninstall 4.20 and reinstall, but it's not showing in DIM anymore.  (Unfortunately, I had Delete Once Installed checked.)

EDIT:  Oh! Wait - I'm in the wrong place. This the General Release.  I thought I was in the Beta discussion.

EDIT again:  I just went ahead and installed the General Release.  All is good....

Post edited by sandmanmax on
  • melaniemelanie Posts: 763

rorsdors said:

I don't have 4.20 installed on my computer yet, but my 4.15 has been constantly crashing my computer for the past five or so days now. My sister's 4.15 is also crashing for the past four or five days, so both of us are hesitant to install 4.20. 

• melanie said:

rorsdors said:

I don't have 4.20 installed on my computer yet, but my 4.15 has been constantly crashing my computer for the past five or so days now. My sister's 4.15 is also crashing for the past four or five days, so both of us are hesitant to install 4.20. 

Any driver or system updates around that time?

• melaniemelanie Posts: 763

Richard Haseltine said:

melanie said:

rorsdors said:

Any driver or system updates around that time?

After these crashes started happeninng, I got error messages that my NVIDIA GeForce driver was now an earlier version than it was before the crash. I also had a Win10 update recently. I had to go download the newest GeForce driver to get back into DS. This happened several times, so I tried restoring my computer to a pervious date in case the Win10 update did something goofy. This sort of worked for a short time, but then it started crashing again. None of this was happening a week ago. I've never had this happen before.