Daz Studio Pro BETA - version 4.20.0.17! (*UPDATED*)

Comments

• ImagoImago Posts: 4,873

Philippi_Child said:

I wish I had backed up 4.12 I don't know why I didn't this version because that is what I use. I did back up 4.11 what a dork I am.

I have four backups of 4.12 now and I'm really scared on losing them for some reason since it's the only release that truly works.

Try asking to the helpdesk, perhaps you are lucky and they will give you and installation package.

• Leonides02Leonides02 Posts: 1,370

The new beta is crashing upon initiating a render for me, and then restarts my computer with a bluescreen error. The 4.20 release seems okay. 

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,103

New beta seems to be working for me.

I just loaded up a scene I had been working on last week to test it.

I've not had time to check out the new features yet.

Though most of them seem to be improvements to scripting.

So not going to be something I'll make direct use of.

Still the same old bugs, nothing changed for us animators.

• Imago said:

Hardly surprising, since there is nothing to ibdicate otherwise in the change log. If you wish to watch for updates adressing your particular needs the place to go is http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/change_log

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

Alowe49 said:

Am I the only one to keep copies of downloaded versions of Daz - all the way back to Daz 3!!

Ha! Nope, not the only one.

Backups of software and files are always my responsibility.

• edited April 2022

Are caustics still unusable at this point?

Post edited by second_technician_rimmer_9571136c47 on
  • IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,103

I'm not the best at setting up scenes for caustics.

I could use an example/test scene to work with.

caustics ON.png
    1405 x 1316 - 8M
    caustics OFF.png
    1405 x 1316 - 3M
  • IceCrMn said:

I'm not the best at setting up scenes for caustics.

I could use an example/test scene to work with.

What he probably meant is what I reported earlier in the thread which was an interaction of ghost lights and caustics. Since there is no change to Iray and NVIDIA did not confirm that bug to me it is probably still broken.

• esteri64esteri64 Posts: 14

"My workspace resets every time I reopen Daz."

This still seems to be an issue. At least for me it is. I have tried to create the five files like instructed, but each time I save the layout it is not really saved. I also downloaded the latest release (I think), which I understood should have the problem solved. 

For me this is a very disturbing problem since I have my own way of working. Like so many of us actually do. It is not amusing to organise the workspace after every program start.

What to do?

esteri64 said:

This still seems to be an issue. At least for me it is. I have tried to create the five files like instructed, but each time I save the layout it is not really saved. I also downloaded the latest release (I think), which I understood should have the problem solved. 

For me this is a very disturbing problem since I have my own way of working. Like so many of us actually do. It is not amusing to organise the workspace after every program start.

What to do?

Have you tried "locking" them?

DAZ Studio saves those files every time you close it, so try this: delete (or move into another folder) the Layout.dsx and start DAZ Studio, the interface will be the default one.
    Now make your changes and close DAZ Studio, wait for the application to fully end any activity. Now, in the AppData/roaming/Daz Studio folder select the file you just recreated, right click and select Proprierties. In the new windows tick the "Read Only" option and confirm.
    From now on, DAZ Studio will not reset the interface anymore. Remember to unlock the file every time you want to make a change.

I did it and now even after the most bad events my interface is always the same as I set it.

• esteri64 said:

What to do?

Are you sure they didn't have a hidden .txt extension? Anyway, there is now a cross-platorm script (in the DS update thread, it's linked from the discussion here My workspace resets every time I reopen Daz. - Daz 3D Forums  ) which removes any worries about getting the name and extension correct.

It's the Public Build (the beta) that has a fix, the General Release (non-beta) has not changed yet.

Imago said:

esteri64 said:

What to do?

Have you tried "locking" them?

DAZ Studio saves those files every time you close it, so try this: delete (or move into another folder) the Layout.dsx and start DAZ Studio, the interface will be the default one.
    Now make your changes and close DAZ Studio, wait for the application to fully end any activity. Now, in the AppData/roaming/Daz Studio folder select the file you just recreated, right click and select Proprierties. In the new windows tick the "Read Only" option and confirm.
    From now on, DAZ Studio will not reset the interface anymore. Remember to unlock the file every time you want to make a change.

I did it and now even after the most bad events my interface is always the same as I set it.

Thank you for your kind answer.

I am truly loosing this. And now finally I will confuse you all with my incompetence. I use the IM for installing the files and DAZ.20x as well. First now it occured to me, that I might not have the latest version, but an older version IM provides me automatically. So, ...

Where could I download the latest version, please?

Should I install it manually?

esteri64 said:

I am truly loosing this. And now finally I will confuse you all with my incompetence. I use the IM for installing the files and DAZ.20x as well. First now it occured to me, that I might not have the latest version, but an older version IM provides me automatically. So, ...

The DIM should give you the latest release but if you mean the beta and you don't see it in the list, perhaps you have it hidden.

In the upper left part of the DIM interface there is a button called "Download filter", click on it. Scroll the list until you find the "release channel" options, check them and restart the DIM, you should be able to see the beta now.

Imago said:

esteri64 said:

The DIM should give you the latest release but if you mean the beta and you don't see it in the list, perhaps you have it hidden.

In the upper left part of the DIM interface there is a button called "Download filter", click on it. Scroll the list until you find the "release channel" options, check them and restart the DIM, you should be able to see the beta now.

Thank you so much. I could finally install the"17" and now everything is working normal.

I definitively owe you a big one.

XO

esteri

• Anarkia333Anarkia333 Posts: 104
    edited April 2022

Hi :)

Since 4.20 Denoiser make problem, very very very slow when Denoiser activated.... Now I can't make my render with denoiser I am block, How I can do? Thx

Excuse me for the noob question, but why use "Ghost light"? I make my scene with Plan, make it emissive and no show in render, Light plan is invisible in final render, soo, why use "Ghost light" and pay other fonction inside DAZ???

Post edited by Anarkia333 on

Imago said:

DAZ is not make for animation, use 3DS max or Blender, Maya or Sofimage, but never DAZ render is just very long and ridiculous.... xD 

• MasterstrokeMasterstroke Posts: 1,756

Anarkia333 said:

Imago said:

DAZ is not make for animation, use 3DS max or Blender, Maya or Sofimage, but never DAZ render is just very long and ridiculous.... xD 

I aggree. Animations in DAZ Studio is a problem. 
    DS is only perfect for stills. Bringing your character to Blender, Unreal or a future IClone 4 is the way to go for animations.

edited April 2022

Anarkia333 said:

Imago said:

I do animations on daily basis on DAZ Studio 4.12. I can assure you that, with the latest new plugins like Fluidos, Abas, Gescon, Greebles and more, it's absolutely great work on it.

If DAZ Devs fixes the timelime in 4.20, it would be even better. I'm waiting for DAZ Studio 5, hoping it will have better tools.

Post edited by Imago on
  • MasterstrokeMasterstroke Posts: 1,756
    edited April 2022

The only two softwares I can imagine to render animations, are IClone and Unreal, unless you can affort to wait for 30 minutes per frame, in order to have a decent quality.

Edit:
    ... or maybe even Unreal only

Post edited by Masterstroke on

Masterstroke said:

unless you can affort to wait for 30 minutes per frame, in order to have a decent quality.

Just don't use IRay. There are a lot of extra render engines that are way more faster than that.

For me 3Delight is perfect, high quality with fast renders but Octane is a better alternative than IRay. Anyway, I really hope the devs will make Filament more reliable, it's a great engine with light speed render times. After all, they just have to fix the transparencies, the shadows and make the light work distant from world center.

• Anarkia333 said:

Hi :)

Since 4.20 Denoiser make problem, very very very slow when Denoiser activated.... Now I can't make my render with denoiser I am block, How I can do? Thx

The denoiser requires extra memory, are you sure it isn't just dropping to CPU (which will stop the denoiser from working anyway)?

Excuse me for the noob question, but why use "Ghost light"? I make my scene with Plan, make it emissive and no show in render, Light plan is invisible in final render, soo, why use "Ghost light" and pay other fonction inside DAZ???

Ghost Lights are nearly transparent planes - the Ghost Light products are set up for convenience. However, whether you use the Ghost Light products, transmapped planes providing flame and other effects, or your own emissive planes the chnage in behaviour is going to have an impact as the effective brightness will drop markedly.

• hkuyerhkuyer Posts: 5

Hi,

I have just updated from 4.20.12 to 4.20.17 and guess what... DAZ studio doesn't start up anymore. It says 'connecting to CMS' and never gets beyond that.

I did a reboot (it's a Windows machine after all...) but that doesn't help. Does anybody know of a quick fix for this? Or should I just download and re-install from scratch?

• hkuyer said:

Hi,

I have just updated from 4.20.12 to 4.20.17 and guess what... DAZ studio doesn't start up anymore. It says 'connecting to CMS' and never gets beyond that.

I did a reboot (it's a Windows machine after all...) but that doesn't help. Does anybody know of a quick fix for this? Or should I just download and re-install from scratch?

That might well be an issue with the database. Have you recently force-quit Daz Studio? Has your security software had an update?

Hi Richard,

Force quiting Daz is something I do almost on a daily basis, usually when dForce blows up. Could that really be an issue?

It might be a security issue, but my previous version worked fine right up to that update. I have uninstalled and re-installed the Postgres database, but that didn't fix it.

Meantime a 4.12 version still works on the same machine, but from another folder. Unfortunately that version doesn't render in iRay... something todo with my RTX3060 card I think.

• hkuyer said:

Hi Richard,

Force quiting Daz is something I do almost on a daily basis, usually when dForce blows up. Could that really be an issue?

It might be a security issue, but my previous version worked fine right up to that update. I have uninstalled and re-installed the Postgres database, but that didn't fix it.

Meantime a 4.12 version still works on the same machine, but from another folder. Unfortunately that version doesn't render in iRay... something todo with my RTX3060 card I think.

Start 4.12, click on the hamburger (menu) icon on the Content Library pane, and click Content DB Maintenance. Check Reset Database and click Accept. Once that is done, close 4.12 and after waiting a minute or so start 4.20.0.17. If it starts ok, then repeat the steps, but check Re-Import Metadata and then Accept.

DoctorJellybean said:

hkuyer said:

Hi Richard,

Start 4.12, click on the hamburger (menu) icon on the Content Library pane, and click Content DB Maintenance. Check Reset Database and click Accept. Once that is done, close 4.12 and after waiting a minute or so start 4.20.0.17. If it starts ok, then repeat the steps, but check Re-Import Metadata and then Accept.

Richard,

Well.... it turned out to be my BullGuard virusscanner that blocked the new version of Daz Studio from starting up. (because the exe file changed).

I recently started using BullGuard and this is the first time it actually did block something... without me noticing it!

Your hint put me on the right track, so... much appriciated! Thank you and have a good weekend.

For the problem when render become very verys slow when Denoiser activate it, it is hasardous, very strange....

DAZ seem give ressource sometime to render, sometime not and become very slow after first denoiser pass.... xD

• Yikes why is my upgraded DS Pro looking like this...

DSupdateblooper.png
    960 x 540 - 123K