Daz Install Manager (DIM) 1.4.0.94, Now Available! (*UPDATED*)

Comments

• shootybearshootybear Posts: 136
    edited March 2022

namffuak said:

shootybear said:

I'm seeing DIM install things suuuuper slowly. After download, the actual installation is running about 100kB/s onto the SSD (external). I did a speed test and the lowest write I got was 40MB/s. It seems to be pegging one CPU core. I have a desktop where installation is pretty darn quick. Is it not happy installing to an external SSD for some reason? 

Check the DIM log - I ran into a CMS issue that was cousing a timeout on every delete/replace.

Nada:

2022-03-06 18:49:54.297 Installed Packages: 5 : 1.1 GB
    2022-03-06 18:49:54.299 User Data Refresh: Elapsed Time 0 sec 9 msec
    2022-03-06 18:50:02.579 Installing: 42071-1 : Genesis 8 Female Starter Essentials
    2022-03-06 19:10:48.296 Install Successful: Genesis 8 Female Starter Essentials
    2022-03-06 19:10:48.690 Installing: 22773-1 : Dark Fantasy Weapons for Genesis 3 and 8 Female(s)
    2022-03-06 19:12:33.109 Install Successful: Dark Fantasy Weapons for Genesis 3 and 8 Female(s)
    2022-03-06 19:12:33.504 Installing: 47939-1 : dForce Starter Essentials
    2022-03-06 19:14:40.604 Install Successful: dForce Starter Essentials
    2022-03-06 19:14:40.994 Installing: 18009-1 : DM's Memorial DS
    2022-03-06 19:15:34.525 Install Successful: DM's Memorial DS
    2022-03-06 19:15:34.909 Installing: 21630-2 : Genesis 3 Starter Essentials Male
    2022-03-06 19:22:48.664 Install Successful: Genesis 3 Starter Essentials Male
    2022-03-06 19:22:49.047 Installing: 21630-1 : Genesis 3 Starter Essentials Female
    2022-03-06 19:35:41.642 Install Successful: Genesis 3 Starter Essentials Female
    2022-03-06 19:35:42.032 Installing: 42071-2 : Genesis 8 Male Starter Essentials

I did move the cms folder to the external SSD as well. However, Task Manager is showing basically no activity. Response time 4ms but w/ only < 100KB/s. SSD is brand new w/ a few GB taken of 4TB. 

Post edited by shootybear on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,136
    edited March 2022

Why does DIM show the wrong package date on downloaded product updates in the Ready to Install tab?

I downloaded, but did not install, the General Release version of DS 4.20 and associated plugins. The hard drive folder where DIM downloads the files, correctly shows the recent download date on the files, but DIM shows a package data of 2021? I currently have DS 4.16.0.3 installed. Is the DIM Ready to Install tab showing the package info from the currently Installed package, rather than the package that is actually Ready to Install? I tried the Refresh Package Data command and that did not change the info. How do I get DIM to tell me the REAL date of the package that is waiting to be installed?

Edit: I see there is not yet another DS 4.20 version to download in the Ready to Download tab. Is that screwing up the Ready to Install package info?

Wrong Package Date.jpg
    960 x 540 - 109K
    Post edited by barbult on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,561

....bugger the IM keeps asking for my password every time I open it even though I have the "Remember Me" box checked.

• kyoto kid said:

....bugger the IM keeps asking for my password every time I open it even though I have the "Remember Me" box checked.

You have had issues with settings not being rememberd in the past, something on your system is interfering with the saved profile or the saving of the profile.

..no, it just started happening in the last couple weeks. I made no changes to my system in that time. 

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,136
    kyoto kid said:

..no, it just started happening in the last couple weeks. I made no changes to my system in that time. 

But you've complained about this same thing in the past, if I understand your problem. Other people are not complaining of this, so it doesn't seem to be on the Daz end.
  • TaozTaoz Posts: 9,724
    edited April 2022

kyoto kid said:

I had that problem some years ago, creating another account (different user name but same email and password AFAIR) in DIM worked.  Haven't had the problem since (same system).

You could also check the .ini file to see if something's been messed up:

C:\Users\[user]\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\InstallManager\UserAccounts\(Account).ini

Post edited by Taoz on

...checked that. and found there is also another folder titled [first name]%20[last name] along with the Account.ini file.  In that folder there are 2 ,ini files in it one the "Account.ini" and another titled "[first name]%20[last name].ini" 

In all there are three ini files. listed among the two folders.

Rather confusing as to which one could be causing the conflict.

• kyoto kid said:

...checked that. and found there is also another folder titled [first name]%20[last name] along with the Account.ini file.  In that folder there are 2 ,ini files in it one the "Account.ini" and another titled "[first name]%20[last name].ini" 

each account has a *.ini file and a matching * folder that contains .txt files and folders used for the filter menus. If that is not what you see it sounds as if there has been external meddling with the folder.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,121

I've been watching a lot of Insydium's tutorials the last few days, and oh my God do I wish I'd watched them a lot sooner.

Richard Haseltine said:

kyoto kid said:

...checked that. and found there is also another folder titled [first name]%20[last name] along with the Account.ini file.  In that folder there are 2 ,ini files in it one the "Account.ini" and another titled 

each account has a *.ini file and a matching * folder that contains .txt files and folders used for the filter menus. If that is not what you see it sounds as if there has been external meddling with the folder.

..so what about the one outside the  "[first name]%20[last name].ini"  finder, could that be the one causing the conflict?  Why are there two .inii files in that folder? should I delete one and if so which one?

• There is an .ini file for each account in the UserAccounts folder with a matching sub-folder with settings.

...so why do I have three?  As I only have one account I should only have two then one in the main .ini folder and the other in the sub folder.

Attachment 1: User account folder

Attachment 2: User .ini folder.

UserAccount Folder.jpg
    1100 x 622 - 116K
    user ini folder.jpg
    1101 x 622 - 113K
  • That looks like a relic of making manual changes.

..so which one would be the relic I need to delete?

• The main folder's account.ini would be the default profile.

• Richard Haseltine said:

The main folder's account.ini would be the default profile.

But the current ones will match the name shown in the Account selctor, and at top-right of the main window.

..OK this is ridiculous, I made no changes to either folder, yet when I just opened to IM to check on what you mentioned above,.the password was back in the proper field. 

Cyber voodoo. That's the only explanation I can think of.

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,107

How do I filter for only people/charcters?

I've tried right clicking one of my female characters and selecting Filter Products>Same type(s)

That produces a list of all content, and excludes only the main program and a handful of plugins.

• jbowlerjbowler Posts: 742
    edited April 2022

IceCrMn said:

How do I filter for only people/charcters?

With great difficulty.  It is possible to get most of them by filtering for something like "Genesis" but you get a whole lot more as well.  There really isn't a DIM concept of a "character" so it is necessary to rely on the package putting stuff in the right place for a character...

I've tried right clicking one of my female characters and selecting Filter Products>Same type(s)

There are only three DIM types in my installation; Content, Software and Plugin.  It's just part of the mechanism to tell DIM where it goes (indeed, the information is duplicated in the package .dsx file, so I don't know if it is even used.)  Here's the DAZ DIM documentation:

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/install_manager/start

Filtering is here:

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/install_manager/referenceguide/tech_articles/filters/start

To do what I think you want you would have to use the file filter with a regular expression to sort out products which contain a character definition.  Construct the filter in notepad - don't try doing it in DIM, DIM will hang for a long while each time you stop typing.  Try this:

file::rx::People/Genesis[^/]*/Characters/.*\.duf$

Then you can find just G8F (for example) by:

file::rx::People/Genesis 8 Female/Characters/.*\.duf$

It's slow (see the man page above).  A way of speeding it up for multiple queries is to read the .dsx files in a Python script (the Python XML parser can handle them) and do queries within Python.  That's probably easier to understand than complex DIM filters using &&.  Indeed I never use && myself.

On my system the latter filter seems to find all my G8F characters (all the ones installed by DIM), but it also finds, for example, https://www.daz3d.com/vyk-yin-and-yang-body-paints--backgrounds because that product installs skin textures into a matching directory.  This is where the && stuff comes in; I want the match on the Characters directory to be accompanied by a match on the Morphs:

file::rx::^/People/Genesis[^/]*/Characters/.+\.duf$
    file::rx::^/data/[^/]+/Genesis 8/Female/Morphs/.+.dsf$

(I made the expressions more specific by anchoring them, that should also speed up DIM).  Connecting those two expressions with && excludes the VYK skin product:

file::rx::^/People/Genesis[^/]*/Characters/.+\.duf$ && file::rx::^/data/[^/]+/Genesis 8/Female/Morphs/.+.dsf$

Your mileage will vary ;-)

Post edited by jbowler on

@jbowler Thank you very much.

I'm a lot out of practice with regular expression.So I was struggling with it.

Your solution works well.

It filtered 185 G8 characters which I'm certain to be accurate.

Content Library says I have 228. I assume this includes duplicates of the same character with HD presets.

Some others where installed manually from other stores.

---

A bit of feedback for anyone from DAZ that's reading this post.

Why is this not a standard filter for DIM?

Seems this would be a rather common filter for anyone wanting to know how many characters they have and of what generation.

This method is neither intuitive nor user friendly.

Why not a list of check boxes in a dropdown menu to include or exclude types of content from a filtered list?

• DIM works all right but when I close the window to exit DIM, an error dialog shows everytime.

It doesn't do anything good or bad, it just shows (appears) everytime and that's all.  It is totally harmless.

But I feel a kind of uncomfortable. 

Does anyone know how to handle this?

By the way, the support site indicated on the dialog does not seem to be working presently.

• JackieJackson said:

DIM works all right but when I close the window to exit DIM, an error dialog shows everytime.

It doesn't do anything good or bad, it just shows (appears) everytime and that's all.  It is totally harmless.

But I feel a kind of uncomfortable. 

Does anyone know how to handle this?

By the way, the support site indicated on the dialog does not seem to be working presently.

Next time that appears, click the More button and post a screenshot of that info.

• IceCrMn said:

@jbowler Thank you very much.

I'm a lot out of practice with regular expression.So I was struggling with it.

Your solution works well.

It filtered 185 G8 characters which I'm certain to be accurate.

Content Library says I have 228. I assume this includes duplicates of the same character with HD presets.

Some others where installed manually from other stores.

---

A bit of feedback for anyone from DAZ that's reading this post.

Why is this not a standard filter for DIM?

Seems this would be a rather common filter for anyone wanting to know how many characters they have and of what generation.

This method is neither intuitive nor user friendly.

Why not a list of check boxes in a dropdown menu to include or exclude types of content from a filtered list?

The documentation for the file filter makes a deliberate point of indicating that use of that particular filter can be very time intensive... because of what it has to do under the hood to provide the results.

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/install_manager/referenceguide/tech_articles/filters/start#file

As for not being a standard filter, the documentation is an answer (time intensive). Also, it relies on the consistency of paths used, which in itself differs from user to user.

The filtering mechanism is massively more flexible than check boxes. Once someone has used the filtering syntax to create a filter that provides the results they want, one need only to save that filter (using whatever path and name makes the most sense to them) to add it to the filter menu.

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/install_manager/referenceguide/interface/filter_menu_button/start

Its not a "check box", but it is something that can be clicked and doing so does cause the filter to be applied... and it is completely customizable by the user.

@DoctorJellybean please don't take this wrong, as I do respect your input and value your experience.

yes, I did read through the documentation for the regex search capabilities.
    That was actually my first action.
    I googled and found the manual, and tried for myself to make use of it.

RegEx is certainly is more flexible.
    So is writing applets in python as has been pointed out.
    Or using SED, or ls| grep pipes, or any number of other search solutions.
    None of which would I call user friendly.
    I'm certain most have never even heard of them.
    Not everyone wants to learn how to write software just to sort a list in DIM of products by type they've purchased from the store so they can be re-installed/backed up/etc/etc.

The time intensive and standard pathing parts aren't something that I as a customer can solve.
    I'm dependent upon the software's developers to produce a more performant solution and likewise dependent upon the brokerage's QC to enforce a standard for product pathing.

It does need to be as simple as clicking a dropdown menu and putting a check in a box to display i.e. characters only.

Obviously a solution doesn't need to include dropdown menus and/or check boxes.It can be any type of display technique that simplifies choosing a product type to filter for.

Currently, The only solution that makes this usable by everyone is to have a user/users write complicated search strings and share them on the forums so others can copy them and add them to their DIM filter list.

There has to be a better way, and it needs to be as simple as choosing what you want to filter for from a list of options.
    RegEx and other not user friendly solutions just aren't usable by everyone.

--

Thank you for pointing out the search filter menu button.
    I'm already familiar with it and have used it many times.
    I did use the save feature to save the regex string @jbowler provided us so I can reuse it again in the future.

• DoctorJellybean said:

Next time that appears, click the More button and post a screenshot of that info

Here, it is like this.

It just seems like an internal program issue or something.

I don't find any clue.

Does this help?

• JackieJackson said:

DoctorJellybean said:

Next time that appears, click the More button and post a screenshot of that info

Here, it is like this.

It just seems like an internal program issue or something.

I don't find any clue.

Does this help?

The crash is occurring within the Microsoft Windows Text Services Framework (MSCTF.dll), not Install Manager. The most likely cause is something which you have installed/enabled which is causing the Text Service Framework to be invoked. Do you perhaps have the Language Bar enabled? What is your OS version?

• DoctorJellybean said:

The crash is occurring within the Microsoft Windows Text Services Framework (MSCTF.dll), not Install Manager. The most likely cause is something which you have installed/enabled which is causing the Text Service Framework to be invoked. Do you perhaps have the Language Bar enabled? What is your OS version?

Does language bar mean like MS-IME?  If so, yes.  But I use "Google Japanese Input" FEP.  

And my OS is Windows 10.  

At the very beginning of my using DIM, when it was late July, this error did not happen.

I don't really remember exactly when it started to happen, but I have been using Windows 10 and Google Japanese Input from long time ago before starting using Daz Studio.

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,211

A strange file appeared in DIM this last time I logged in. There is a file claiming to be an update to Moon Mining Machine with an SKU of 68245, which is really Millitary Weapons Vol 2 from Polish. Did not download, but the real Millitary Weapons Vol 2 is displaying as Moon Mining Machine, obviously data from the server. Snooping around a bit, the file size matches that of the templates for Moon Mining Machine (real SKU 83860). The beams are crossed somewhere...

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,061

NorthOf45 said:

A strange file appeared in DIM this last time I logged in. There is a file claiming to be an update to Moon Mining Machine with an SKU of 68245, which is really Millitary Weapons Vol 2 from Polish. Did not download, but the real Millitary Weapons Vol 2 is displaying as Moon Mining Machine, obviously data from the server. Snooping around a bit, the file size matches that of the templates for Moon Mining Machine (real SKU 83860). The beams are crossed somewhere...

I was just going to ask if anyone else was seeing this.