MANGA STYLE & VISUAL STYLE topic - Update Sept 23rd 2017: Fixed Dropbox links! [Commercial]

Comments

• WildlyfeWildlyfe Posts: 92
    edited December 1969

Has anyone made custom visual style or manga style shader presets to share? I would love to see what things other people have come up with. I like this forum, but I would like to see more.

• TheNathanParableTheNathanParable Posts: 984
    edited December 1969

Unfortunately at the time both Visual and Manga Style were made, Shader Mixer didn't support the ability to save presets WITHOUT embedding the shader itself into every file, meaning that if you shared presets you'd also be sharing the shader to those who haven't bought it. That's why Visual Style came with a custom script by Draagonstorm that acted as a workaround.

Of course the most recent versions of Daz Studio now allow you to export Shader Mixer projects in such a way that they act like normal shaders, with presets REFERENCING shaders rather than EMBEDDING them. From what I recall, Age of Armour's Subsurface Shader Base was made using Shader Mixer and takes full advantage of these new features, hence why there are so many presets available for it (such as DimensionTheory's Subsurface Goop Presets).

To give Visual Style or Manga Style that same functionality, I would have to go through and resave every preset with the new format, and if i'm going to do that then I might as well fix/change/improve some other things at the same time. Of course, finding the time and energy to do so can be a bit difficult, but that hopefully shouldn't be a problem soon. :)

• DestinysGardenDestinysGarden Posts: 2,549
    edited October 2014

I would be delighted to include presets of my products using your wonder Visual Style Shader. I have been meaning to check if I set up a preset, and it was saved in .DUF format, would it embed the base shader too?

Post edited by DestinysGarden on
    edited December 1969

I would be delighted to include presets of my products using your wonder Visual Style Shader. I have been meaning to check if I set up a preset, and it was saved in .DUF format, would it embed the base shader too?

I believe so. In order for it to work, I have to save the base shader as a "shader asset" and then resave all of the presets to use that asset. Only then would others be able to save and redistribute shaders without issue. :/

• DestinysGardenDestinysGarden Posts: 2,549
    edited December 1969

I believe so. In order for it to work, I have to save the base shader as a "shader asset" and then resave all of the presets to use that asset. Only then would others be able to save and redistribute shaders without issue. :/

That is what I thought. I'll probably still test it out, and I'll let you know what I find. Do let me know if/when you get those updates done. I'm itching to make compatible presets for my toon products.

• Sphinx MagooSphinx Magoo Posts: 572
    edited December 1969

I'd be curious about this as well. I recently set up a bunch of presets in pwToon but I'd consider adapting them to Visual Style as I think they would look quite neat. :)

• nDelphinDelphi Posts: 1,845
    edited December 1969

One can save material presets, these will not include the shaders. Correct? That's my understanding.

edited December 1969

nDelphi said:
    One can save material presets, these will not include the shaders. Correct? That's my understanding.

I believe that material presets will also include the shaders, yes. This was a big problem for me when I first made Visual Style a couple of years ago, and hence why I sought out Draagonstorm to come up with a scripted solution.

• WildlyfeWildlyfe Posts: 92
    edited December 1969

I was hoping that people would have made some presets with Draagonstorm's script, since that was supposed to make them able to be redistributed. I was playing around with both Manga and Visual styles this week and thought they both had the script. I would like to have some more textures for the screentone. I am mostly interested in sketch-like renders.

• Eustace ScrubbEustace Scrubb Posts: 2,686
    edited December 1969

All right. How does one do that?

edited December 1969

I've already said before that this is something that I, as the creator, would have to do. There's no point in updating your own copy to use support assets as nobody would be able to use your presets without updating their own copy to use support presets.

edited December 1969

I've already said before that this is something that I, as the creator, would have to do. There's no point in updating your own copy to use support assets as nobody would be able to use your presets without updating their own copy to use support presets.
    I meant, how does one do that with one's own shaders before sending them to the store?

edited December 1969

I meant, how does one do that with one's own shaders before sending them to the store?

Oh right! I don't remember all the details unfortunately, you might be better off asking Age of Armour or one of the Daz 3D staff. Unfortunately the Documentation Centre is lacking info on the Save Support Assets function.

edited December 1969

I tracked it down (one of Richard H's old posts) and screencaptured it for y'all. Now we know: File > Save As > Support Asset > Shader Definition Asset.

Shader_Definition_Asset.png
    611 x 540 - 69K
    edited December 1969

Yep, that should be it.

• 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,470
    edited December 1969

Been a while, but still love the VSS :)

CandyCane_50.jpg
    480 x 640 - 49K
    edited December 1969

Which figure is that? Looks adorable. :D

edited December 2014

That's V4 using "The Girl" body, with Near Me's head. Near Me 1.1 is over at CP. More details about the pic here in the gallery post: LINK

Its one of the things I like about VSS, is that they make it seamless to use figure combinations! :)

Post edited by 3dOutlaw on
    edited December 1969

Another anime style! (full size link)

Friends_sm.jpg
    384 x 512 - 60K
  • Fragg1960Fragg1960 Posts: 354
    edited December 1969

I've been using the Visual Style shaders for some time now.

Lately, if I apply the Noir 01 shader, all I get is a white silhouette of the figure without detail. Anyone else ever see this happen and more importantly, know how to make it stop?

I tried restarting Studio in case it was some kind of surface optimization issue, but it always renders as a pure white outline.

• DireBunnyDireBunny Posts: 556
    edited December 1969

Fragg1960 said:
    I've been using the Visual Style shaders for some time now.

Lately, if I apply the Noir 01 shader, all I get is a white silhouette of the figure without detail. Anyone else ever see this happen and more importantly, know how to make it stop?

I tried restarting Studio in case it was some kind of surface optimization issue, but it always renders as a pure white outline.

that happens to me from time to time. i just save it restart daz studio and render, then i get the optimizing before render thing pop up and it renders normally.
    I know that probably doesn't help since you said you have restarted studio.

edited December 1969

Ditto, I don't use the Noir stuff, but the other ones sometimes "freak-out" as well...what Dire Bunny said is what I do as well (make sure to save)

edited January 2015

The Noir problem is due to the fact that the Ambient Occlusion Shader Mixer node Visual Style uses has since been changed, affecting all Shader Mixer shaders that use it.

Originally setting the "Max Distance" to 0 would cause the Ambient Occlusion node to output nothing (effectively turning it off). For some reason though, at some point this was changed so that setting it to 0 would cause the entire surface to be filled with the ambient occlusion colour (in Noir's case, the default white colour).

The easiest way to fix this is to simply change the Max Distance to an incredibly small number that ISN'T 0, such as 0.0001. Then it should work as it did before.

Post edited by TheNathanParable on
  • LagrangeLagrange Posts: 111
    edited December 1969

God dammit, what in the hell is heppening? There are tons of the text, the whole 22 pages of correspondence in language which for the majority is actualy foreign. Why it was necessary to write text the size of a book to have the subject remained absolutely unclear? Authors didn't include the instruction in the mod which is sold for money, - such thing didn't happen simply NOWHERE, it is unprecedented. They promised to lay out it somewhere on a forum. WHERE? The forum is infinite, it can be read all life. The link to the instruction has to be attached on the page of a shader, but not somewhere in Narnia where you will look for it for years. People paid for it and nobody can't force these shaders to work. Oh my god, just tell where to go and how to start, shortly and clearly:
    This -> That -> Here -> There
    Also attach this information somewhere in the separate closed topic that can be easily googled and was in a visible place for everybody could find it, including foreigners!

edited December 1969

I'm sorry for not providing the documentation in multiple languages, but English is the only language I know.

Also, I did include the documentation with Visual Style, but a lot of customers who purchased Visual Style had no idea that the documentation was included or where the documentation was installed. As such, it made more sense to include the documentation in the official support topic where everyone could find it.

If you want a simple tutorial on how to use the shaders, there are step-by-step guides available to download on the first page of this discussion, right here: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/10961/
    You can also find the product documentation there as well as a couple of freebies.

edited December 1969

You dont understand me. I can read english but foreigners get tired fast of big english texts. They are too large. You must somehow make this thing simplier, that's what I am talking about. I downloaded the PDFs, there are 12 and 14 pages. Can you imagine reading 14 pages on french or italian? If something takes such a big guide, it means that something is wrong. Also I try to do what is shown in the documentation, and there are no such exact things in my Daz as it shown in guide.

edited February 2015

If something takes such a big guide, it means that something is wrong.

I would argue that the developer took their time to create very thorough documentation (which is rare these days!) Thanks!

If you have a problem, ask a question here on the friendly, social forum ;) (versus complaining...)

Post edited by 3dOutlaw on
  • ZamuelNowZamuelNow Posts: 753
    edited December 1969

If something takes such a big guide, it means that something is wrong.

No.

Also, I'm glad that there's a developer willing to try to be thorough. The alternative tends to be not getting a guide at all.

• Proxima ShiningProxima Shining Posts: 969
    edited December 1969

You dont understand me. I can read english but foreigners get tired fast of big english texts. They are too large. You must somehow make this thing simplier, that's what I am talking about. I downloaded the PDFs, there are 12 and 14 pages. Can you imagine reading 14 pages on french or italian? If something takes such a big guide, it means that something is wrong. Also I try to do what is shown in the documentation, and there are no such exact things in my Daz as it shown in guide.

I am a foreigner and I am more than capable of reading long english texts. I don´t get tired reading them, unless they are really boring. :-P As both a customer and a foreigner I understand that when I buy a product from an US-based webstore, made by an english-speaking vendor, I will get documentation written in english language. I don´t expect a special simplified version for foreigners, I think that is unnecessary and neither vendor nor the store is required to supply something like that.

I don´t think the problem is with english. Some people simply don´t like to read longer texts in any language, even if it is their mother tongue. I would understand the complaint if the documentation had 100 pages or more but is 12 pages so much, really?

It is true that the PDFs have 12 and 14 pages (I guess here you refer to Manga Style because Visual Style has different number of pages). But not all of that is text, there are lots of pictures. Especially the Step-By-Step guide consists of many big pictures and a tiny little bit of text. I think if the pictures were left out, the guide would be only 2 pages long at the most. Manga Style documentation file has a somewhat longer text, that is true - but written with big letters, which means that it only covers more space on the page because of the size of letters, while the text itself is actually not that long.

If you have any specific problems, why don´t you simply ask for an advice?

edited February 2015

I am a foreigner and I am more than capable of reading long english texts. I don´t get tired reading them

I am GLAD for you! I asked for advice how just simply run this and nobody gave unswear, just their biographys.
    Post edited by Lagrange on