Opposable thumbs geograft for G8/8.1?

pixelquackpixelquack Posts: 265
edited April 2022 in Product Suggestions

[Opposable thumbs geograft for G8/8.1] One thing that has been bugging me ever since.

Edited for Please put your question in the post body and the title - Daz 3D Forums

Post edited by pixelquack on

Comments

• What is? It looks as if there is meant to be an image in your post, but it isn't showing - soem more words might also help.

• pixelquackpixelquack Posts: 265

The Forum does not accept pasteboard.co, I tried any way I could.

Apart from that it does not really need more words: the hand anatomy cannot oppose thumbs to fingers.

There you go, I added "?", is a question now

• felisfelis Posts: 3,656

I think you need to link to an image showing what it is you are trying to obtain.

• Link to an image or attach it ("Attach a file" link under the text box), you can't paste image data into the body of the post.

• There may be some problems with terminology here.  See the attached chart.  

I think opposition of the thumbs on current Daz figures is pretty good.  Thumb flexion needs improvements.

thumb-workings.jpg
    600 x 733 - 104K
  • jag11jag11 Posts: 885

And how does thumb flexion involves geograft?

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,816

can't you just turn off limits in the parameter properties?

• I'm not sure what the OP wants or why a geograft would be useful.  Genesis figures have opposable thumbs already.  The hands don't flex with a natural looking range of motion--Maybe that's the OP's issue.  Hence my previous message.

What I'm pointing out is that current figures don't have a control which mimics a human hand's natural flexion.  Working the sliders for Left and Right Thumb 1 to try and mimic this movement produces a "deflated" hand rather than a flexed hand.  See attached image.  Compare to your own hand when trying to touch the tip of your thumb to your palm.

WendyLuvsCatz, turning off limits is the first thing I thought of too.  Taking the "Bend" slider beyond -40 would just result in worsening distortion, so it doesn't solve the problem. 

Other thumb movements simulate quite well, I think, but the thumb flexion thing is something for Daz to work on, though I'd much rather see them fix that weird upper arm torsion and unnatural neck posing first.

DistortedHand.png
    547 x 569 - 233K
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,816

well then one needs some joint controlled morphs

Maybe Zev0 or someone can make Beautiful Thumb Movements for genesis 8&8.1

• WendyLuvsCatz said:

well then one needs some joint controlled morphs

Maybe Zev0 or someone can make Beautiful Thumb Movements for genesis 8&8.1

Yes.  

I hope this thread doesn't give anyone at Daz ideas about making minor thumb improvements and then insisting that those improvements justify a Genesis 8.2.  I doubt the marketing department checks in on "Product Suggestions" that often.  Fingers crossed (index & middle, no thumb involved).

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,062
    edited April 2022

Trying to get a grip on a bar or rod with the current rigging setup is fiendishly difficult. No question. Not sure it needs a geo-raft, just better rigging. Getting the hand to grip a fountain pen model was nigh on impossible to do in the correct, least effort, way. What is so sad is that it's so easy to create - with your hand - the pose that is to be mimiced, and how hard the mimicing is.

However, some poses, like the handbook pose I created below, was not as hard as I feared, despite being in pretty much the worst thumb orientation

Regards,

Richard.

Opening Latch.png
    1037 x 936 - 966K
    Post edited by richardandtracy on
    edited April 2022

Look for the "One does not simply walk into Mordor" meme. Try to create that in Daz. Doesn't work. Unless you turn off limits, then it looks [a tad unimpressive].

Daz actors cannot grab a bottle or glass or any other cylindrical object of such diameter without the thumb pointing upwards, lying sideways.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

If strong language is not allowed in here that's fine but don't alter my posts please. ***** it out or delete but don't make my say words I did not say.