NVIDIA vMaterials 2.0.0 Shader Presets

Comments

• IceCrMn said:

Ghosty12 said:

One thing have found is after reading and trying to understand the licensing legalese on Nvidia's website, is to whether we are actually allowed to use these materials.. As on their website it seems to indicate that we may not really be allowed to..

That really doesn't make any sense at all.

Are you talking about repackaging and redistributing them?

Or personal use?

Personal use I don't see the problem. How could anyone look at a finished render and know what shader was used on a particular surface in the image/animation?

Redistribution I'm sure is against the license agreement.

Try reading the notices contained in the actual shaders ;-)

• edited January 2022

After reinstalling the PC now installed vMaterials 1.7 and 2.0 and work fine for themselves. Today, however, I noticed that stones that are created via UltraScenery are displayed in black, although this was still working the other day. After hours of experimenting and not understanding why the shader makes problems, I removed the vMaterials MDL folder from the config and it works again. so there seems to be some conflict.

Update
    After some experiments I found out that vMaterials 1.7 does not cause any problems with "NVIDEA MDL Material Exchange 20.1.4190". But as soon as you want to install version 2.0, "NVIDEA MDL Material Exchange 21.1.3961" is installed and from that moment the problems / conflicts arise. So it is because of the "Material Exchange" version!

UltraScenery

Props\USC River Pebbles 01

Props\USC River Pebbles 02

Props\USC River Pebbles 03

Props\USC River Stone 01

Post edited by kimbleag_591930dfc0 on
  • Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 1,955
    edited January 2022

kimbleag_591930dfc0 said:

After reinstalling the PC now installed vMaterials 1.7 and 2.0 and work fine for themselves. Today, however, I noticed that stones that are created via UltraScenery are displayed in black, although this was still working the other day. After hours of experimenting and not understanding why the shader makes problems, I removed the vMaterials MDL folder from the config and it works again. so there seems to be some conflict.

Update
    After some experiments I found out that vMaterials 1.7 does not cause any problems with "NVIDEA MDL Material Exchange 20.1.4190". But as soon as you want to install version 2.0, "NVIDEA MDL Material Exchange 21.1.3961" is installed and from that moment the problems / conflicts arise. So it is because of the "Material Exchange" version!

UltraScenery

Props\USC River Pebbles 01

Props\USC River Pebbles 02

Props\USC River Pebbles 03

Props\USC River Stone 01

You my friend are an absolute lifesaver.. I would never of thought that the rendering issues I was having, with Ultrascenery and OOT's hair products, was down the the version of Nvidia's MDL Material Exchange software..

I uninstalled version 21.1.3961 and reinstalled version 20.1.4190, and the issues look to have gone away, thank you for this very important information.. yeslaugh

Post edited by Ghosty12 on
  • IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,104

Catherine3678ab said:

IceCrMn said:

Ghosty12 said:

One thing have found is after reading and trying to understand the licensing legalese on Nvidia's website, is to whether we are actually allowed to use these materials.. As on their website it seems to indicate that we may not really be allowed to..

Or personal use?

Personal use I don't see the problem. How could anyone look at a finished render and know what shader was used on a particular surface in the image/animation?

I didn't look at all mostly because the average license agreement doesn't allow anything other than personal use.

A license clause that  allows redistribution is practically unheard of with digital goods.

I've still not read it, so I really don't know what one can or can not redistribute. 

• IceCrMn said:

Catherine3678ab said:

IceCrMn said:

Ghosty12 said:

Or personal use?

I didn't look at all mostly because the average license agreement doesn't allow anything other than personal use.

A license clause that  allows redistribution is practically unheard of with digital goods.

I've still not read it, so I really don't know what one can or can not redistribute. 

Okay. With my lay person's understanding ... these materials were made for people to use. Most of the legalize is what I call self-protection. They will NOT provide support, etc. Provided "as is." 

In redistributing, stuff is NOT to be encryped ... files must remain in plain English. In all of the .mdl files is a copyright notice. It is, even by law, illegal to remove copyright notices.

The two of us took different approaches on how to make their .mdl files usable in Daz Studio. So what I'm about to say next, I do not know if it will apply to the scripted files for D/S. From what's being said in the thread, I doubt it.

Having recently reinstalled/repaired/whatever they did the OS, I copied over the files I needed to keep my batch of VMats working. They did not require the installation of the other program that initially one has to install in order to get the massive .mdl files. They require the original .mdl files and of course all the edited .mdl files I made. Now, NVidia supports stuff for Daz Studio. However their .mdl files all on their ownsome {nice English word there yeah} will not work in D/S. They required editing to make all the options available and also even just to load them into D/S. So to share workable files meant I was redistributing derivative works, i.e. derivatives of their .mdl files. All what I was doing was cleared as big mouth here actually simplifies legalize by asking questions to the appropriate copyright owners in the first place.

I have taken a brief look at the more recent materials available from NVidia and ... ha! I might be able to get some to work, but not all of them. They did some fancy coding in them which I gather is progress however D/S didn't recognize the information. Sometimes I can figure out how to cross the wires so D/S can ... and sometimes not.

Before I even dream of editing any more files though, I want to find all the 101 zips I've already made -- I know I saved copies, to very safe places, yeah. Could be awhile ;-)

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,104

Thank you Catherine, but I really have no interest in repackaging and redistributing any of this stuff :)

For those that do this is great news though.

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 7,993
    edited January 2022

That's okay, many read the forums, few post.

I would recommend to anybody seeking to redistribute anything, to read all the fine print and if uncertain, certainly contact the copyright holders and ask them. And what is okay one day, might not be okay tomorrow, things change like life flowing along the river ;-)

And oh yes, I'm not a lawyer ... I just read alot and ask questions.

Post edited by Catherine3678ab on
  • Is there any other way to download NVIDIA vMaterials 2.0.0 Shader Presets ?

Share CG have disabled Registration of new members. I can't download it.

• Hopefully that'll be temporary.

• manekiNekomanekiNeko Posts: 1,395

i have a very, very stupid question - and it's about v1.7 and v2.0 alike... since sometimes they seem to stop functioning after changes happen (i forgot, was it daz version or mats version, whatever...), even i was really so happy to have them... well i haven't USED them at all yet since i installed them... because i'm afraid that a few months later, half of a scene i'd like to reopen and complete/modify will miss materials and i'll have to change them all again..

now my logic often makes loops, especially in the wrong direction. i tend to make assumptions and connections there where there aren't any. so where is the flaw in this particular burst of logic? will i l potentially lose half my scene materials with a DS update or if something changes on nvidia's end?

• I hope not. AFAIK NVidia calls the shots with regards to Iray in D/S.

One might consider saving a pre-materials scene; then apply the desired shaders, then save out "mat files" and/or "hierarchical mat files" -- then "SAVE AS" a new scene, or a bunch of scene subsets.

Catherine3678ab said:

I hope not. AFAIK NVidia calls the shots with regards to Iray in D/S.

One might consider saving a pre-materials scene; then apply the desired shaders, then save out "mat files" and/or "hierarchical mat files" -- then "SAVE AS" a new scene, or a bunch of scene subsets.

hmm.. my work flow is complete and utter chaos. i pick stuff, modify it, go one with other props, delete stuff, remodify so it fits, it's pretty random - i never really have a plan, and the scenes i had a plan/idea how it should look, well those are my worst scenes... so "pre-materials", i'm not quite sure WHEN this is, lol. and i might pick vMats for tiny things like rings in an outfit.. or a huge marble floor/brick wall. it might be 1% of a scene, or over half. vital for the scene, or totally not important. if i save bits and pieces i probably won't find them or it's gonna be a pain...

what i kinda didn't grasp is when things don't work any more.. is it new versions of iray? which means it could be new versions of DS if the iray version changes.. like, i can only use v1.7 because.. i only have DS 4.11 - i think. and i think someone in the htread at some point said suddenly their vMats don't work any more.. i'm very confuzzled.

edited March 2022

When we download the vMaterials from NVidia there's this other little program which must needs be downloaded in order to get the actual materials.  [As per Bejaymac's instructions below, do not click next, just click Finish and then the installer for the vmaterials will continue.]  As we are not developers, we are not using that little program, we just ignore it. BUT in downloading a more recent edition of that program apparently there was some conflict or something between it and the earlier edition which caused their vMat Iray shaders to not work until they reinstalled the earlier edition.

IF your vMat Iray shaders are working, then I would suggest staying with that for now, 'k. D/S has been updating their Iray shader features too, trying to keep up with all these updates for Iray so like how we say for the plumbing, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

If you ever want to use the PBS Shader, you will need to update to, I think it was D/S4.15. Your present vMats should still work, AFAIK.

Catherine3678ab said:

When we download the vMaterials from NVidia there's this other little program which must needs be downloaded in order to get the actual materials. As we are not developers, we are not using that little program, we just ignore it. BUT in downloading a more recent edition of that program apparently there was some conflict or something between it and the earlier edition which caused their vMat Iray shaders to not work until they reinstalled the earlier edition.

IF your vMat Iray shaders are working, then I would suggest staying with that for now, 'k. D/S has been updating their Iray shader features too, trying to keep up with all these updates for Iray so like how we say for the plumbing, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

If you ever want to use the PBS Shader, you will need to update to, I think it was D/S4.15. Your present vMats should still work, AFAIK.

ok, i see, i kinda understand better what's going on. not that i could repeat it or explain it to anyone else, lol, but i get the main frame.

is PBS the new shader that came with G8.1? well in this case, i can't use it, because i can't even install 4.15. as this version came out, i read a few comments made by people who like me, still have ancient prehistoric machines (my laptop is from around 2012 i think, i got it as a present in 2016 but 2nd hand already), and there were massive issues apparently, like major crashes and stuff. and since i missed 4.12-14 and can't get them any more according to support, i'm stuck with 4.11 until some miracle makes a new laptop drop into my lap, cuz i am NOT trying out anything to jeopardize my actual 4.11 version which works perfectly, albeit with some drawbacks on compatibility with recent developments like G8.1 etc... i really never fix what's isn't broken on my laptop, since i absolutely hate having to deal with tech stuff. DS is a hobby, my only one save for asian series etc, and i want it to be chill and fun, not another chore or source of stress and disappointment, of which i have more than enough.. the mere idea of not being able to just open DS and fool around as usual without having to first reinstall stuff, drown into various difficulties and start again for hours/days is a total nightmare vison for me ~

so maybe i'll use those mats then, and just hope a scene i really like won't be ruined in a later version of whatever when i want to reopen it, re-render it etc.

• I have copies of 4.10, 4.11, 4.12, 4.14 and 4.15 on my machine and they all live quite happily next to each other. I do manual installs into the directory of my choice and as I install the new one I put it into a different directory from any of the others. Must admit I don't keep the installation file, maybe it'd be wise. The only thing I have noticed is when I use dForce in a different version from the last, I get a notification that 'an old level of dForce has been detected' and the dForce kernel is re-compiled. I use few G8.1 figures, none the less I don't have many problems with 4.15. The biggest thing is that it seems to crash if I exited last time with a filament preview, and then it bombs out next time when I re-load the same scene. If I switch to texture shaded before the final save & exit, next time no crash.

My PC dates to 2013, and it became mine in 2019 - it had been my PC at work and was replaced in 2019 and I was given first dibs on it, otherwise it was going to be skipped. I have put in a bigger HDD for the data, added a further 8Gb of RAM to get to 24Gb and a GTX 1060 card. Otherwise it's my old work machine. And being Win7, is now isolated from the net.

Regards,

Richard

richardandtracy said:

I have copies of 4.10, 4.11, 4.12, 4.14 and 4.15 on my machine and they all live quite happily next to each other. I do manual installs into the directory of my choice and as I install the new one I put it into a different directory from any of the others. Must admit I don't keep the installation file, maybe it'd be wise. The only thing I have noticed is when I use dForce in a different version from the last, I get a notification that 'an old level of dForce has been detected' and the dForce kernel is re-compiled. I use few G8.1 figures, none the less I don't have many problems with 4.15. The biggest thing is that it seems to crash if I exited last time with a filament preview, and then it bombs out next time when I re-load the same scene. If I switch to texture shaded before the final save & exit, next time no crash.

My PC dates to 2013, and it became mine in 2019 - it had been my PC at work and was replaced in 2019 and I was given first dibs on it, otherwise it was going to be skipped. I have put in a bigger HDD for the data, added a further 8Gb of RAM to get to 24Gb and a GTX 1060 card. Otherwise it's my old work machine. And being Win7, is now isolated from the net.

Regards,

Richard

well, this is news to me! i knew you could have parallel installations of 1 "actual" DS version plus 1 beta-public version, i had such a setting. but full versions parallel? absolute news! good to know. i should see if i can do sth of that kind.. IF i can get support files ~

can you specify what you exactly mean by "different directory", i.e. what your configuration/paths look like?

i've been annoyed about not being able to use dforce for eons. in the end, i have accepted, maybe wrongfully, that my intel cpu was not able to be updated, period. because i tried a while ago, and then recently after a comment exchange again, to update or reinstall specific drivers that microsoft, for a stupid reason i can't understand, has deleted from the intel package. back then at least the automatic update utility could be installed, even if apparently, it was no use whatsoever, i don't remember. this time before i discovered that i had already istalled it, i downloaded it, and it gave an err msg, couldn't be installed. then i realized it already was there, and also that it couldn't install jack. when it sends me to the intel or was it MS page, it just keeps sending me from one page to the other and back, in the browser there's another err msg, and after a while i'm sick of it. a pity because there's a very thin chance that after all, maybe i could do dforce, but all those stupid utilities and install stuff can't work properly. it confuses me since i barely understand or rather not really, what i'm doing and why, and it goes on my nerves when the usual recommanded way to do things doesn't work as expected, and sending me from one page to the other and then back to square one transforms me into a screaming cussing wreck...

hmm yeah filament, i don't remember if that was one of the things listed as crash sources, possibly. not very interested, i already have ressources issues in iray view, which i love but don't use until i really have to check how it looks in iray, sometimes a "quick" render is even less lagging. i didn't read in details, as soon as i saw user of older machines having issues i bailed immediately. point is, since i didn't know you can install several DS full versions in parallel, i was afraid not to be able to downgrade again to a version like 4.11 which works fine for me.

i'm really surpised at your specs! might be a tad better than mine (however, i didn't catch if you had a desktop or a laptop, which might make quite the difference), but still i guess people would classify it as an old machine too, and see there, it seems you're happily working with it with success. interesting. well, i can't add anything to mine - i mean i'm not even sure it's possible technically, but i have no money whatsoever for ram or even less a gpu, been in survival mode for months... still, good to know there is hope for old machines. maybe some day i'll have the balls to attack this...

• My machine is a desktop, an HP Z220 with a Xeon processor at 3.9GHz. Was a pretty good machine when bought, and despite being 6 years older than my new work machine, there is little performance difference to the work Dell 4.2GHz I7 I currently use. If anything the old machine marginally shades it now I have the GTX 1060 graphics card.

I will try and remember how the directory tree looks, as it's not on the machine I'm on. Pretty sure it looks like this

C:\Program Files\DAZ\Studio 4\Studio 4.10\<Program Files for 4.10>

C:\Program Files\DAZ\Studio 4\Studio 4.11\<Program Files for 4.11>

C:\Program Files\DAZ\Studio 4\Studio 4.12\<Program Files for 4.12>

C:\Program Files\DAZ\Studio 4\Studio 4.14\<Program Files for 4.14>

C:\Program Files\DAZ\Studio 4\Studio 4.15\<Program Files for 4.15>

The first installation puts things into registry, such as the serial number, layout details etc, and all versions refer to those same entries in registry. That way they will all respond to a change in the content location, layout etc. The way of checking the difference is in the splash screen and the 'about' window. I know there is one Andrey Pestriakov scene that fails in 4.14, and it does, but not in any other version, so I'm pretty certain they're operating independantly without shared dll's in the Windows directory. If you have plugins (I only have 1, UltraScenery Accelerator) simply copy, but don't drag, the entire plugin directory and paste into the next version's programme directory. If the plugin is limited over the range of DS versions it'll work over, obviously don't copy it into the wrong one.

Not sure what you can do if the dForce OpenCL files won't install on your machine. Until I got the GTX1060 I couldn't do dForce on it either.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Richard

richardandtracy said:

My machine is a desktop, an HP Z220 with a Xeon processor at 3.9GHz. Was a pretty good machine when bought, and despite being 6 years older than my new work machine, there is little performance difference to the work Dell 4.2GHz I7 I currently use. If anything the old machine marginally shades it now I have the GTX 1060 graphics card.

I will try and remember how the directory tree looks, as it's not on the machine I'm on. Pretty sure it looks like this

C:\Program Files\DAZ\Studio 4\Studio 4.10\<Program Files for 4.10>

C:\Program Files\DAZ\Studio 4\Studio 4.11\<Program Files for 4.11>

C:\Program Files\DAZ\Studio 4\Studio 4.12\<Program Files for 4.12>

C:\Program Files\DAZ\Studio 4\Studio 4.14\<Program Files for 4.14>

C:\Program Files\DAZ\Studio 4\Studio 4.15\<Program Files for 4.15>

The first installation puts things into registry, such as the serial number, layout details etc, and all versions refer to those same entries in registry. That way they will all respond to a change in the content location, layout etc. The way of checking the difference is in the splash screen and the 'about' window. I know there is one Andrey Pestriakov scene that fails in 4.14, and it does, but not in any other version, so I'm pretty certain they're operating independantly without shared dll's in the Windows directory. If you have plugins (I only have 1, UltraScenery Accelerator) simply copy, but don't drag, the entire plugin directory and paste into the next version's programme directory. If the plugin is limited over the range of DS versions it'll work over, obviously don't copy it into the wrong one.

Not sure what you can do if the dForce OpenCL files won't install on your machine. Until I got the GTX1060 I couldn't do dForce on it either.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Richard

thanks a lot for your detailed description. if/when i decide to try the parallel thing, this will be very useful ^^. gotta get in touch with support again to try to get those install files... 

• Would like to download but it is still not possible to register at sharecg?

Just a heads up, but with the new 4.20 version of Daz Studio and the Nvidia 511.65 drivers.. That weird rendering issue that was fixed, by going back to an earlier version of Material Exchange now no longer works.. You will have to install the latest Material Exchange that comes with vmaterials 2.0..

• Sky77Sky77 Posts: 820

Thank you for your scripts!  I've been meaning to download this for months.  The vMaterials 2.0 file is gigantic but definitely worth the download.  Your Shader Presets work like a charm.  Much appreciated!

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,835

Simple question, why are you lot installing that "Material Exchange" ?

Bejaymac said:

Simple question, why are you lot installing that "Material Exchange" ?

It is part of the vMaterials install process, not sure if it is actually needed but you never know.. smiley

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,835

First this is designed for programs that have the Iray material handling system fully integrated into them, Studio isn't one of those programs, so it's useless to us.

Second is the fact it sounds like it's interfering with Iray in DS, that's reason enough not to install it.

Most of you probably just clicked "Next" instead of reading the install instructions, clicking "Finish" instead would have skipped the install for this and just ran the installer for the vmaterials instead.

Well I did a test and indeed you are correct, the Nvidia Materials Exchange is not needed for the shaders to work.. And yeah I am one of those that just clicked next.. lol Since I and most others would not of known if NME was needed or not and in this case it is not needed.. laugh

edited March 2022

Ghosty12 said:

Just a heads up, but with the new 4.20 version of Daz Studio and the Nvidia 511.65 drivers.. That weird rendering issue that was fixed, by going back to an earlier version of Material Exchange now no longer works.. You will have to install the latest Material Exchange that comes with vmaterials 2.0..

It may or not be a site matter that they are aware of and hoping to get fixed, but atm, the link for Windows vMats2.0 is 404.

[they maybe might be getting another download ready as I read mention for an expected update in the Spring of this year]

Ghosty12 said:

Well I did a test and indeed you are correct, the Nvidia Materials Exchange is not needed for the shaders to work.. And yeah I am one of those that just clicked next.. lol Since I and most others would not of known if NME was needed or not and in this case it is not needed.. laugh

Good to know.  Is this something that can be uninstalled easily or do I have to uninstall everything and do a fresh reinstall? 

Bejaymac said:

First this is designed for programs that have the Iray material handling system fully integrated into them, Studio isn't one of those programs, so it's useless to us.

Second is the fact it sounds like it's interfering with Iray in DS, that's reason enough not to install it.

Most of you probably just clicked "Next" instead of reading the install instructions, clicking "Finish" instead would have skipped the install for this and just ran the installer for the vmaterials instead.

What kind of interence have been seen / reported?   

edited April 2022

Sky77 said:

Bejaymac said:

What kind of interence have been seen / reported?   

There was an issue with Studio 4.16 and some PA products that rendered weirdly when v.2.0's Nvidia's Material Exchange was installed.. Reverting to v1.70 of Nvidia's Material Exchange fixed that issue, but when Studio 4.20 hit the problem came back and but was fixed by installing v.2.0 of Nvidia's Material Exchange..

Though in the end it turned out after reading what Beejaymac had said, I uninstalled Nvidia's Material Exchange and found that it is indeed not needed for Nvidia's vMaterials to work.. Although as Catherine3678ab has found the current v.2.0 of vMaterials file is not available right now..

Post edited by Ghosty12 on
  • Feeling a bit stupid here... I downloaded and installed NVIDIA vMaterials 2.0.0 it seemed to be fine.  What is meant by install NVIDIA vMaterials 2.0.0 Shader Presets for DS?  I downloaded the zip file and unpacked it.  Then I ran the scripts from there.  It all seemed to go as planned but there are no new materials.  Any help would be appreciated.