JACK TOMALIN APPRECIATION SOCIETY [JAS III]

Comments

• Daz Jack TomalinDaz Jack Tomalin Posts: 13,074
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    Jaderail said:
    Can a guy's wallet ever get a break?

Being recently married I can categorically say 'no, never' :lol:

Fortunately sitting in front of a computer and making stuff and rendering is your daytime job, so you're lucky.

Yea, if I had a hobby I'd be living on the streets, that's for sure! :)
    ...may find myself there even though I've had a steady job for over 17 years and stable rental history.

Due to zoning regulations here, I will have to move out of the place that's been home for nearly fifteen years by fall (long story). In Portland (OR) the rental market is brutal because of rampant gentrification and the push to develop more "upscale" communities. It's leaving a lot of hard working people out in the cold.

Even a small studio in the city can go for over 600USD. Tack on move-in fees/deposits, and one needs a "healthy" bank account (1,500 - 2,000USD) just to get into a place. On top of that there are those lovely "non-refundable" application fees (upwards of 50USD in some cases). I could pretty much trash my account just paying those as with how the market is here, rental agencies and landlords can afford to be very "nit-picky".

The only "affordable" places are in the far flung 'burbs where you need a car to get around because everything is so spread out and transit service is scant at best.

Sucks to hear - hope you get something sorted out soon :)

edited December 1969

26 years for us. I hear the newlywed phase wears off after a while. We're still waiting.

Glad to hear all the happy stories!

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,501
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    Jaderail said:

Fortunately sitting in front of a computer and making stuff and rendering is your daytime job, so you're lucky.

...may find myself there even though I've had a steady job for over 17 years and stable rental history.

Due to zoning regulations here, I will have to move out of the place that's been home for nearly fifteen years by fall (long story). In Portland (OR) the rental market is brutal because of rampant gentrification and the push to develop more "upscale" communities. It's leaving a lot of hard working people out in the cold.

Even a small studio in the city can go for over 600USD. Tack on move-in fees/deposits, and one needs a "healthy" bank account (1,500 - 2,000USD) just to get into a place. On top of that there are those lovely "non-refundable" application fees (upwards of 50USD in some cases). I could pretty much trash my account just paying those as with how the market is here, rental agencies and landlords can afford to be very "nit-picky".

The only "affordable" places are in the far flung 'burbs where you need a car to get around because everything is so spread out and transit service is scant at best.

...thank you.

Unfortunately here, a lot of places today use your credit score as one of the major criteria for acceptance. If you've had a rough life in the past (like I have) it can make the process extremely difficult.

edited August 2012

Kyoto Kid said:
    Kyoto Kid said:
    Jaderail said:

...thank you.

Unfortunately here, a lot of places today use your credit score as one of the major criteria for acceptance. If you've had a rough life in the past (like I have) it can make the process extremely difficult.

Yea, I can empathise. I've had trouble with that - even with a clean credit score! and trying to sort it out is just a nightmare.. :(

Positive vibes!

Post edited by Daz Jack Tomalin on
  • TotteTotte Posts: 13,441
    edited December 1969

Yea, I can empathise. I've had trouble with that - even with a clean credit score! and trying to sort it out is just a nightmare.. :(

Positive vibes!

Tell me about it. We have a lot of "fraud invoices" here in Sweden, they just send your company an invoice for something (often "internet advertising" or "a business directory entry"), then you tell them no, I wont pay that, and you make a formal police complain, but they send their invoice to an exaction company, often owned by the same crook, and you will get a "suspected mark" in the records that takes years to rid even if everything is fake as the mark instantly spreads to all other records but the deleting of it never spreads as fast.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

We had a different problem whne checking credit ratings, when we were moving up here. Because we neither of us used a credit card, didn't have a mortgage and never bought anything on credit, we simply didn't have credit ratings. Difficult. And we found it was impossible to get a recommendation from our previous "landlord" as we had a "license to occupy" a property that was classed as being part of the Royal estates, and they didn't do things like that, even though they wanted us to vacate the property.

• edited December 1969

In the Daz store I saw Ochre City - which appears to be a texture set for Kingdom of Marrakesh. However, I can't seem to find the Kingdom of Marrakesh anywhere in the store.

Anyone have or know anything about this?

Thanks!

edited December 1969

In the Daz store I saw Ochre City - which appears to be a texture set for Kingdom of Marrakesh. However, I can't seem to find the Kingdom of Marrakesh anywhere in the store.

Anyone have or know anything about this?

Thanks!

I had to pull all of the old Redhouse products while I redo all of the textures, sadly.

The good news is that the KoM set is about 75% done and I will hopefully be able re-relase it in the next few weeks. So stay tuned!

Cheers!

• edited December 1969

I had to pull all of the old Redhouse products while I redo all of the textures, sadly.

The good news is that the KoM set is about 75% done and I will hopefully be able re-relase it in the next few weeks. So stay tuned!

Cheers!

Great news. Thanks!

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    We had a different problem whne checking credit ratings, when we were moving up here. Because we neither of us used a credit card, didn't have a mortgage and never bought anything on credit, we simply didn't have credit ratings. Difficult. And we found it was impossible to get a recommendation from our previous "landlord" as we had a "license to occupy" a property that was classed as being part of the Royal estates, and they didn't do things like that, even though they wanted us to vacate the property.

Yea.. you hear stories that like all too often... so what did you do in the end?

• Velvet GoblinVelvet Goblin Posts: 532
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    Jaderail said:

Here on Vancouver Island, we're pretty much in a similar position. Cannot buy a condo for less than $200k (and that would be about 400 sq feet). Cannot rent a tiny bachelor for less than about $700. The vacancy rate usually hovers around 2% and landlords STILL have the gall to complain about having trouble filling vacancies.

Fortunately, there are rental controls here, so rents cannot increase more than 2% plus inflation rate per year, and I do not believe that charging application, processing, or credit check fees is legal here.

I'm still waiting for our housing bubble to burst. It's brutal at the moment.

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

One word question... cabinets?

:-)

Kendall

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

I am still here, well sort of. :)

Just catching up and the credit score caught my attention. Never had a CC, Debt card or any credit ever. Then whilst working at Argos I got an Argos Store Card which enabled my years later to get a credit card.

Kendal Interesting questions. I think the answer is 42. ;)

Well just used the Library for the first time. Really love those comfy seats Jack, they really render up nicely when using Mesh lights (Area lighting). I will post it next month after it has been judged.

edited December 1969

chohole said:

...that's pretty much the situation I'm in. No credit score/rating as I always paid by cheque, cash, prepaid money order, or most recently, chequing account debit card.

The only two things that might be in my favour: I have been in the same place for almost fifteen years and will be getting a good recommendation, and the fact I have held a steady position with the same company for over seventeen years.

The only time I ever went overdrawn (by not much more than 1 - 2$) was over fifteen years ago and that was after my savings bank was taken over by one of the big outfits which assessed a lot of "hidden" fees (in spite of reassurances from the new bank's account officer that this would not be the case - a total bald faced lie). For over a decade after I closed my account there, I conducted all my transactions without a chequing or savings account, cashing my paycheques at the bank they were written on, and purchasing money orders at Western Union or the Post Office for online and mail orders.

Years ago all that mattered was you had a steady income on which you could manage the monthly rent and were a responsible tenant in your previous residence(s).

edited December 1969

Kendall

It's on the list.. sadly requests have to take their turn, and given the PC works so far in advance, stuff I work on now might not be released for several months yet. :)

edited December 1969

Szark said:
    I am still here, well sort of. :)

Just catching up and the credit score caught my attention. Never had a CC, Debt card or any credit ever. Then whilst working at Argos I got an Argos Store Card which enabled my years later to get a credit card.

Kendal Interesting questions. I think the answer is 42. ;)

Well just used the Library for the first time. Really love those comfy seats Jack, they really render up nicely when using Mesh lights (Area lighting). I will post it next month after it has been judged.

Hey Szark!

edited December 1969

Kendall

It's on the list.. sadly requests have to take their turn, and given the PC works so far in advance, stuff I work on now might not be released for several months yet. :)

No problem on the timeline. Last time we talked you weren't sure if it was even a feasible/acceptable option.

Besides, I just wanted to get that bug buzzing in your ear. :-) I used the ones from the DH for that particular project, but I'm going to need a more "flexible" option going forward.

Kendall

edited December 1969

...so is there still a special upgrade price for those of use who already have Baroque Grandeur?

edited December 1969

Kendall

No problem on the timeline. Last time we talked you weren't sure if it was even a feasible/acceptable option.

Besides, I just wanted to get that bug buzzing in your ear. :-) I used the ones from the DH for that particular project, but I'm going to need a more "flexible" option going forward.

Kendall

You're not alone, to be honest.. and while suggestions are always very welcome, I do receive a lot of requests. All of them have their own merits, but I can only do one thing at a time. Some naturally fall into the time-line, others I have to work them into.

I just don't want to create a situation either where other people feel they need to 'get that bug buzzing in my ear' to prompt my to prioritise one thing over another - I'll end up getting harassed 24/7 and then I don't know why, but the project just gets put at the back.

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...so is there still a special upgrade price for those of use who already have Baroque Grandeur?

Sure is:

"If you already own the original Baroque Grandeur you will receive a discount of 80% on this purchase. Discount will automatically be applied when you add the product to your cart. Offer ends August 23, 2012"

edited August 2012

Kendall

Kendall

You're not alone, to be honest.. and while suggestions are always very welcome, I do receive a lot of requests. All of them have their own merits, but I can only do one thing at a time. Some naturally fall into the time-line, others I have to work them into.

I just don't want to create a situation either where other people feel they need to 'get that bug buzzing in my ear' to prompt my to prioritise one thing over another - I'll end up getting harassed 24/7 and then I don't know why, but the project just gets put at the back.

Don't worry, now that I know that it's being considered, you'll not hear anything else about it from me. :-)

EDIT: BTW, it need not be a PC item.

Kendall

Post edited by Kendall Sears on
    edited December 1969

...yay got it.

Now all I need are those optical drive rails and no more 32 bit.

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...yay got it.

Now all I need are those optical drive rails and no more 32 bit.

Cool.. thanks and enjoy!

• ZaarinZaarin Posts: 356
    edited December 1969

I should post here more often, since I do actually use your sets fairly frequently. :P This is an image I did to celebrate the fact that Poser supports single-axis scaling now. Sixteen-year-old M4 is 5'8"; fourteen-year-old V4 is 5'2.5" (I actually used Reby Sky's scale morph plus scaling her); nine-year-old K4 is 4'5"; and the infant K4 is based on the Toddler and scaled down to less than two feet! And, as you can see, The Souks are in the background (which reminds me, I'd love to see more Marrakech ;) ).

The_Kids_with_a_Statue_postwork.jpg
    1200 x 1500 - 373K
    edited December 1969

...that's really, really nice.

edited August 2012

Thanks! :)

EDIT: Also, aside from the textures and the D|S lights, is anything new in the Baroque Grandeur set? While the new textures are lovely, if that's all that's new I'm not sure I feel compelled to buy it again.

Post edited by Zaarin on
    edited December 1969

Zaarin said:

EDIT: Also, aside from the textures and the D|S lights, is anything new in the Baroque Grandeur set? While the new textures are lovely, if that's all that's new I'm not sure I feel compelled to buy it again.

Yea, nice work.

Marrakesh stuff is being re-textured as we speak, with some newer stuff coming down the pipelin :)

Baroque Grandeur - no, there's 'just' the new texture set and D|S content.. :)

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

Marrakesh stuff is being re-textured as we speak, with some newer stuff coming down the pipelin :)

I'm looking forward to the return of Marrakesh! It had already been pulled from the store when I joined (or at least before I became aware of it), but it didn't take me long to notice the gaping hole in the store where something called "Kingdom of Marrakesh" belonged. It was like, I don't know, a "great disturbance in the Force." Judging from Ochre City and other products that show views of it, it seems like a very cool set, and definitely one I could use.
  • SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Marrakesh is one of the few places my imagination runs wild. Have no idea why I just love the look of it. :) This update I will be purchasing without hesitation.

edited December 1969

Zaarin said:

Yea, nice work.

Baroque Grandeur - no, there's 'just' the new texture set and D|S content.. :)
    Oh, I didn't mean to belittle the texture work--I'm just on a tight budget! :(

Good news on Marrakesh, too! It's interesting, I was doing some research on Syria recently for a little side project I'm working on and I found a place in either Damascus or Aleppo (pictures, I mean; I haven't been there ;) ) that looks exactly like Kingdom of Marrakesh.

This discussion has been closed.