JACK TOMALIN APPRECIATION SOCIETY [JAS III]

Comments

• Daz Jack TomalinDaz Jack Tomalin Posts: 13,071
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...well the Harpsichord loaded fine but the texture MAT I used for Leela (Tindra Thompson) is still all messed up.

...and I'm not even using Genesis so I'm not sure why this is occurring.

Urgh.. weird, is it doing it when you load it up alone as well?

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,501
    edited September 2012

...not sure. I'd have to delete everything in the original scene file except Leela, save it again and then try to open it in 4. I''ll have to try that when I get home later.

I did try zeroing the MAT and then reapplying it, but the same thing occurred. Even the default Steph4 MATs load incorrectly. The only ones I can get to work are the standard V4.2 ones, but that way Leela loses her lovely freckled complexion.

I can't believe I am going through all this just so I can render the scene with the updated 3Delight to see if it doesn't crash. The latest standalone version of the render engine no longer works as I get a lot of .tdlmake errors because it refuses to interpret the Studio3 texture maps.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

As promised using Jack's Library.

You can find a little more about this image in my Showing Off thread :) http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/2765/P90/#95494

TheBox1_copy.jpg
    800 x 1097 - 515K
    edited December 1969

Szark said:
    As promised using Jack's Library.

You can find a little more about this image in my Showing Off thread :) http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/2765/P90/#95494

Love it :) keep up the good work.

edited December 1969

Thanks Jack.

I used to make at least 3 images a month now I am lucky to make one. I am not happy and I think I am getting withdrawals and twitchy. I want my Area lights back NOW. Sorry had a moment there.

Oh yeah another half gig of Ram and a clean installation and so far DS 4.5 is responding well. Haven't rendered in it yet with the new clean fresh install. I noticed a few content issues I had are now fixed with me keeping the My Library folder intact this time. Last time I went straight into the main Daz Studio Installation folder outside Program Files. Still outside Program Files as always and still in the same main directory but in a folder of it's own. Plus with all my Genesis content has been updated so all that works as it should. So yeah early days but looking good.

I loaded one of your biggish props earlier, Mortis and no lag with moving about like it used to in DS3 and 4. Oh man I will so look forward to having more Ram than teeth....yeah I have lost a few over the years. :)

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,242
    edited December 1969

Another use of the Library.

This was a false start for a book cover, repurposed as an Apa cover. But I turned the text off. You don't need that.

Castle.jpg
    620 x 803 - 182K
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,563
    edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Oh man I will so look forward to having more Ram than teeth....yeah I have lost a few over the years. :)

You used to have billions of teeth? That's a heck of a giga-bite.

edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Thanks Jack.

I used to make at least 3 images a month now I am lucky to make one. I am not happy and I think I am getting withdrawals and twitchy. I want my Area lights back NOW. Sorry had a moment there.

Oh yeah another half gig of Ram and a clean installation and so far DS 4.5 is responding well. Haven't rendered in it yet with the new clean fresh install. I noticed a few content issues I had are now fixed with me keeping the My Library folder intact this time. Last time I went straight into the main Daz Studio Installation folder outside Program Files. Still outside Program Files as always and still in the same main directory but in a folder of it's own. Plus with all my Genesis content has been updated so all that works as it should. So yeah early days but looking good.

I loaded one of your biggish props earlier, Mortis and no lag with moving about like it used to in DS3 and 4. Oh man I will so look forward to having more Ram than teeth....yeah I have lost a few over the years. :)

Fingers crossed!

Out of interest, what sort of RAM is it that you use? I have few sticks laying about here, and if they're the right sort I'm happy to stick them in the post for you.

edited December 1969

JOdel said:
    Another use of the Library.

This was a false start for a book cover, repurposed as an Apa cover. But I turned the text off. You don't need that.

Love the lighting on this.. nice work.

The starkness with the silhouette works really well too I think :)

edited December 1969

...indeed, JOdel, that is very nice.

OK after a couple weeks wrestling with trying to get the BG scene I was working on to render, discovered there were a number of items with high reflectivity levels (such as the crystals and bulbs on the Candelabra and surprisingly,, the floor), finally got the render to complete. Had to substitute a floor texture from Backdrops Made Easy as without the reflection, the floor rendered grey..

Reduced the texture resolution of the window panels as well.

Actually have two pics here, the first done in 3A with a standard light set and BG2, and one rendered in 4.5 (the scene set up in 3A as setting up a scene 4 on my old system is like trying to swim in molasses) with a simple UE preset, using the original BG.

...the 4.5 version rendered in just over two minutes, which includes shadow mapping.

leela_and_momma_4-5.jpg
    800 x 800 - 453K
    leela_and_momma_3A.jpg
    800 x 800 - 513K
  • TotteTotte Posts: 13,441
    edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Thanks Jack.

Fingers crossed!

Out of interest, what sort of RAM is it that you use? I have few sticks laying about here, and if they're the right sort I'm happy to stick them in the post for you.

Good point Jack!.
    I've got 6 (soon 12) 2GB PC3-DDR3 1066 sticks that I have any use for, nowhere to put them...

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,242
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:

OK after a couple weeks wrestling with trying to get the BG scene I was working on to render, discovered there were a number of items with high reflectivity levels (such as the crystals and bulbs on the Candelabra and surprisingly,, the floor), finally got the render to complete. Had to substitute a floor texture from Backdrops Made Easy as without the reflection, the floor rendered grey..

Actually have two pics here, the first done in 3A with a standard light set and BG2, and one rendered in 4.5 (the scene set up in 3A as setting up a scene 4 on my old system is like trying to swim in molasses) with a simple UE preset, using the original BG.

...the 4.5 version rendered in just over two minutes, which includes shadow mapping.

Upon the whole I think I prefer the way the colors rendered in the 4.5 version. There's an odd greenish cast to the DS3 version. Of course that could be corrected in post.

edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Oh man I will so look forward to having more Ram than teeth....yeah I have lost a few over the years. :)

You used to have billions of teeth? That's a heck of a giga-bite.Roflol...there is always one, isn't there mike? :)

edited December 1969

DDR2 667 for which I have two 1 GB modules and two 2GB modules. Being a 32 Bit system I only have 3.25 GB oof of the 4 I have in. So I reckon I am set until I replace the darn thing entirely. :) But thank you very much for the offer of help. Good start to the day. :coolcheese:
    edited December 1969

JOdel said:
    Kyoto Kid said:

Upon the whole I think I prefer the way the colors rendered in the 4.5 version. There's an odd greenish cast to the DS3 version. Of course that could be corrected in post.
    ...I tried to go for a warmer effect in the first one, may have added more green for some of the rim.ambient lights than I needed. Unfortunately UE lights tend to crash the render in the older version of 3Delight, so I had to use a more basic multi-light setup which was too "hot" at 255 255 255.

I'll play around with the settings a bit more, The BG floor with the reflection turned off just doesn't look right and even low reflectivity values (5% - 10%) crashed the render..

edited December 1969

...now that we have the Ancient One, we need Jack to do an Arkham, set.

edited December 1969

Forgive my silly old Sunday brain.. Arkham as in HP Lovecraft?

edited December 1969

...yep. I think you could do it justice.

• cosmo71cosmo71 Posts: 3,609
    edited December 1969

dream home for a dream girl

dx_relaxing_25.jpg
    1648 x 932 - 234K
    edited December 1969

Cool render as always cosmo.

And don't forget folks Today is Jack's PA Day I wish him well. :)

edited December 1969

Yea nice work cosmo - I can't recall, is that Dixie? or the other one?

Thanks Szark! Really appreciate it :)

edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Cool render as always cosmo.

And don't forget folks Today is Jack's PA Day I wish him well. :)

thank you very much :) and if you have a strong heart go to renderocity.com galleries :) there you can see some Dixie and Riley renders you can`t see here at daz ;)

edited December 1969

well Jack, it is for sure Dixie :) don`t let her know that you can`t recall her :)

edited December 1969

what is a PA DAY??????

edited December 1969

cosmo71 said:

well Jack, it is for sure Dixie :) don`t let her know that you can`t recall her :)

Heheheh, shhh, its our secret.

edited December 1969

cosmo71 said:
    what is a PA DAY??????

Part of the sale, where everything in my store is half price for a very limited time only. :)

edited December 1969

...love the new release, but even at half off too broke right now to afford it.

Will; have to go on the wishlist for now.

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...love the new release, but even at half off too broke right now to afford it.

Will; have to go on the wishlist for now.

:( sorry to hear that!

edited December 1969

...yeah, moving expenses. All those confounded deposits and nonrefundable application fees.

This will work so well for Mediterranean settings (like the Dalmatian coast).

edited December 1969

Oh yea, I remember you saying - all the move stuff going ok, costs aside?

This discussion has been closed.