Carrara Challenge #61 – Iconic movie Scene - WIP Thread

Comments

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,814
    edited January 2022

thanks @diomede & @unifiedbrain smiley

I watched it the other day also yes

Broken Fence

modelled the fence and ground and used various trees & palms and plants with replicators.. also modelled the egg plant!  .. the jeep I can't remember where I got it but probably from here and used M4

setup_wip_brokenfence.jpg
    1744 x 782 - 470K
    Broken Fence.png
    800 x 600 - 800K
    Post edited by Stezza on
  • UnifiedBrain said:

Awesome Philemo, thank you! 

Another question - are you going to update the GMIC plugin?  Mind you, I'm not complaining.  Rather, I'm thrilled with the current version, as it is part of my workflow in every render these days.  But I saw you post something about updating it a while back, hence the question.

It's on my list. Recently, I've been spending more time building and rendering scene than programing. I've been pouring a lot of efforts in the PyCarrara project and I needed a break. It will change soon.

• UnifiedBrain said:

I Have Met the Ancient Astronaut... and he is us

In 1968, Erich von Daniken published "Chariots of the Gods", which caused quite a stir by questioning if cave paintings and other ancient artifacts were evidence of visits by alien civilizations.  Two years later, a documentary film based on the book was released.  Also called Chariots of the Gods, it became the 9th highest grossing film of 1970.  It has spawned countless other books, movies and TV shows (including the ongoing series "Ancient Aliens" - 16 seasons so far - produced by the History Channel).   

This render loosly fits the iconic "Chariots" theme of visitation, although it blends in some Planet of the Apes time loop as well. :)

Headwax kind of started this render.  In a different thread, he asked questions about the Homo Erectus character.  I got interested because I owned the M4 version, but had never opened it.  The version presented here was imported from DS via collada, without any morphs.  Also appearing is a modified version of the M3 Spacesuit, which I had also never used before.

I went for a somewhat painted look.  Not entirely successful, I think, because the BG and the characters have different textures. 

No postwork, but the BG was heavily edited in PSE.

* The title is a play on words from the famous Pogo cartoon by Walt Kelly (and the cartoon itself was a play on words from a famous quote from Oliver Perry)

Impressive!

I love the painted look. You had to tell for me to notice the different texture of the background. 

• UnifiedBrain said:

Stezza said:

Hunt for RED October

modelled a sub for this image

items used were Phils ocean and wake, DZFire's flock of seagulls, LoRenzo and Phils people from cityscapes duplicated and a couple of models I got from the Google 3d place and converted to use in Carrara

Nicely done!  Good wake around the sub.  I just wsh that you would post bigger renders. :)

+1 

• Stezza said:

Broken Fence

modelled the fence and ground and used various trees & palms and plants with replicators.. also modelled the egg plant!  .. the jeep I can't remember where I got it but probably from here and used M4

Brilliant. Staging is very good. The wacky eggplant in an otherwise very realistic render is a touch of genius.

My only remark would be about the pixelated  texture on the Jeep, but I'm just being peaky.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,085
    edited January 2022

Yes an entry

Three guesses for which movie this is related to.  The water surface is a terrain.  I played with different reflection, refraction, and transparency settings for the water shader.  I may add some plants or similar but this is the basic shot.  Postwork with Ron's splashes available in the daz store.  I used Carara fog to get the underwater cloudy streaks around the creature.

creature black lagoon wip.jpg
    1870 x 993 - 290K
    Creature from black lagoon 02.jpg
    2400 x 1800 - 118K
    Creature from black lagoon 02.png
    2400 x 1800 - 2M
    Post edited by Diomede on

Here is a related scene clip from the movie.

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235
    edited January 2022

“Fly with me”

This scene is based on the ending of the movie titled “Per aspera ad astra”.

The link to this particular scene:

The full version with subs: https://youtu.be/YDOeQldHiIY

Everything in this Carrara scene was created by me from scratch.

People are original standalone figures.

The girl is only available in as Neeya for G8F here in store.

The clothing was created specially for those custom figures.

I used procedural shaders for the female outfit.

Girl's hair is a Carrara native hair.

I also created native landscape and custom native trees.

Native render, no postwork.

Fly_with_Me.jpg
    1500 x 1275 - 2M
    Screenshot 01-19-2022 14.50.25.png
    1428 x 968 - 873K
    Screenshot 01-19-2022 14.47.38.png
    1629 x 1162 - 260K
    Post edited by Vyusur on
  • UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

Philemo_Carrara said:

Impressive!

I love the painted look. You had to tell for me to notice the different texture of the background. 

Thank you for the nice comment.  Headwax is the exemplar for seamless NPR textures.  I "think" that I could blend the textures more successfully, but it would be a lot more work, and most people wouldn't notice.

Regarding GMIC, I'm glad that you are rendering more and programming less.  It's good to exercise the other side of your brain once in a while. :)

Diomede said:

Yes an entry

Three guesses for which movie this is related to.  The water surface is a terrain.  I played with different reflection, refraction, and transparency settings for the water shader.  I may add some plants or similar but this is the basic shot.  Postwork with Ron's splashes available in the daz store.  I used Carara fog to get the underwater cloudy streaks around the creature.

Definitely an iconic scene - it's kind of a precursor to Jaws - and very well done.  Plants would probably help it look more murky, and some extra bump on the creature may add to the realism.  Interesting and effective use of fog.

Vyusur said:

“Fly with me”

This scene is based on the ending of the movie titled “Per aspera ad astra”.

The link to this particular scene:

The full version with subs: https://youtu.be/YDOeQldHiIY

Everything in this Carrara scene was created by me from scratch.

People are original standalone figures.

The girl is only available in as Neeya for G8F here in store.

The clothing was created specially for those custom figures.

I used procedural shaders for the female outfit.

Girl's hair is a Carrara native hair.

I also created native landscape and custom native trees.

Native render, no postwork.

A classic film which I've never heard of before.  You certainly nailed the scene.  Super impressed that you created everything in the render, with no postwork.

edited January 2022

Nampara Cove

This is not an iconic moment, but rather an iconic setting in the Poldark saga.  The shipwreck, the smuggling operation, and Ross's nude swim all happened there.

I decided not to render the swim, as I didn't want people fainting at their keyboard. :)

To some extent, Cornwall's rugged coastline is the star of the show.  Incredibly picturesque scenes.

Ross Poldark is M5.  Got to play with the facial morphs A LOT, which was fun and instructive.  In general, I've been focused on portraits lately.

The outfit is Corsair from Luthbel.  HMS Victory is the ship.  The terrain and water are all Carrara.

No postwork, mostly because Philemo's plugins have made it possible to adjust almost everything within Carrara.

Nampara Cove.png
    1900 x 1338 - 5M
    Nampara Cove Carrara setup.JPG
    1537 x 993 - 217K
    Post edited by UnifiedBrain on

Bunyip guessed!  Thanks for the comment.

UnifiedBrain - That is a spectacular sea shader result.  The expression conveys a lot of character.  Well done!  And thanks for the comment on Black Lagoon.

VYusur - wow, I love the scene, the figures, and the render.  I started watching the movie in the background and quickly realized I need to watch it with undivided attention.  Looks great.  I will probably watch it this coming weekend.  

edited January 2022

We get 4, and I am struggling to decide on a comedic Lucille Ball or Jackie Chan image.  So instead, having done a Ray Harryhausen reference, I've decided to revisit another of my favorite animation production teams, Rankin and Bass.  I doubt this will be considered iconic in a motion picture academy sense, but many of us of a particular age will remember those stop-motion puppets.  The most famous are the Christmas and other holiday specials, like Rudolph.  My final entry is inspired by a feature length movie that Rankin and Bass released with the voice talents of Boris Karloff and Phyllis Diller.  

I will be converting figures done for prior challenges.  The male lead will be done with my custom 'claymation man' that I have rigged in both Carrara and Daz Studio formats.  Just need to do some morphs and add a costume.  The female lead will be done by morphing the 'claymation woman' I made for the Noir challenge.  And the supporting character or villain of the scene will be a morph of the 'grumpy old man' that I made for the 'Make Your Own Game' challenge (number 21).  The name of my game for Challenge 21 was 'Get off My Lawn!'

Here are some screenshots of the grumpy old man as created for Challenge 21 and my progress so far with morphs, costume, and hair change for a Rankin and Bass tribute.

Screenshot 2022-01-19 183811.jpg
    884 x 665 - 157K
    Dracula Morph from challenge 21.jpg
    600 x 800 - 28K
    edited January 2022

Does anyone remember?

Screenshot 2022-01-19 180010.jpg
    429 x 623 - 98K
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,757

Diomede - Impressive scenes

Stezza - sub scene is my fave

Vysur - excellent render

UB - Poldark sings to me

Headwax - hoping your able to progress that Western

edited January 2022

20 Million Miles to Earth - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050084/mediaviewer/rm1335499008/

Another Harryhausen classic !

Was not able to find a monster the same so sustituted a Godzilla type monster instead.

WIP

Render

CC61 20 Million Miles 1 WIP.png
    2263 x 1027 - 528K
    CC61 20 Million Miles 1.png
    1600 x 1200 - 2M
    CC61 20Million Miles 1b.png
    1600 x 1200 - 2M
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
  • VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

UB, thank you for your nice feedback!

Your Poldark is very vivid and appealing. The actor somehow reminds me of Tom Hanks.

Diomede, thank you so much for your kind words. Glad that you like the movie scene. Hope you will see the full version. I saw it for the first time in my 13 and I was impressed for the whole my life.

Jason and the Argonauts is a very dynamic composition and the silhouettes are well reading.

Bunyip, thanks a lot!

The shadow in your star wars scene is just enough soft and works well. The lighting is nice and even.

Great job everyone in this thread!

edited January 2022
    CC61 Aliens Power Loader 1 WIP.png
    2274 x 1038 - 1M
    CC61 Aliens Power Loader 1b.png
    1600 x 1200 - 2M

Diomede, Vyusur, and Bunyip, thanks for the positive Poldark comments!

Bunyip, the setup looks very good for Aliens, especially the environment and reflection off the alien.  However, it was hard for me to see the Ripley character.  In the movie screenshot you provided, her face was lit by a cockpit light in the suit.  Also, not sure what you are going for, but more reflection or shininess on the robot suit might make it pop a little more.  It kind of blends into the background.

Whatever you do, the movie is an inspired choice.  The 2nd one was much scarier than the first (for me).  Funny, I just tried to watch it again last week.  The 1st, 3rd, and 4th movies were available on Amazon, but not the 2nd.  Hopefully soon.

edited January 2022

UB thanks for the feedback ! Added a spotlight to highlight Ripley and the Power Loader.

CC61 Aliens Power Loader 1c.png
    1600 x 1200 - 2M
    edited January 2022

Adjusted the right hand of the power loader as it was reflecting light from the spotlight. Enhanced the render in PSP

CC61 Aliens Power Loader 1d Enhanced.png
    1600 x 1200 - 3M

The last enhancement really added depth to the creature and the background.  Much easier to see the girl as well.  The loader is also easier to see, but looks flat.  Rather than more light, I think that it needed to stay darker and add more shininess or reflection (to match the creature).

I realize that there is a law of diminishing returns on advice, and that at some point advice becomes unwelcome.  As artists, we have to please ourselves first.  So I will bow out.  Great scene!

UnifiedBrain said:

The last enhancement really added depth to the creature and the background.  Much easier to see the girl as well.  The loader is also easier to see, but looks flat.  Rather than more light, I think that it needed to stay darker and add more shininess or reflection (to match the creature).

I realize that there is a law of diminishing returns on advice, and that at some point advice becomes unwelcome.  As artists, we have to please ourselves first.  So I will bow out.  Great scene!

Thanks ! Am happy with the scene so will leave it otherwise I will be forever tinkering with the scene !

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,927

Bunyip02 said:

Adjusted the right hand of the power loader as it was reflecting light from the spotlight. Enhanced the render in PSP

great scene, really dynamic, and popping much better now. Glad I'm not Vick i :)

UnifiedBrain said:

Nampara Cove

This is not an iconic moment, but rather an iconic setting in the Poldark saga.  The shipwreck, the smuggling operation, and Ross's nude swim all happened there.

I decided not to render the swim, as I didn't want people fainting at their keyboard. :)

To some extent, Cornwall's rugged coastline is the star of the show.  Incredibly picturesque scenes.

Ross Poldark is M5.  Got to play with the facial morphs A LOT, which was fun and instructive.  In general, I've been focused on portraits lately.

The outfit is Corsair from Luthbel.  HMS Victory is the ship.  The terrain and water are all Carrara.

No postwork, mostly because Philemo's plugins have made it possible to adjust almost everything within Carrara.

Amazing what you can do in Carrara with no post work. This looks pretty iconic and monumental at the same time. Monumental meaning 'of some significance.'

Diomede said:

We get 4, and I am struggling to decide on a comedic Lucille Ball or Jackie Chan image.  So instead, having done a Ray Harryhausen reference, I've decided to revisit another of my favorite animation production teams, Rankin and Bass.  I doubt this will be considered iconic in a motion picture academy sense, but many of us of a particular age will remember those stop-motion puppets.  The most famous are the Christmas and other holiday specials, like Rudolph.  My final entry is inspired by a feature length movie that Rankin and Bass released with the voice talents of Boris Karloff and Phyllis Diller.  

I will be converting figures done for prior challenges.  The male lead will be done with my custom 'claymation man' that I have rigged in both Carrara and Daz Studio formats.  Just need to do some morphs and add a costume.  The female lead will be done by morphing the 'claymation woman' I made for the Noir challenge.  And the supporting character or villain of the scene will be a morph of the 'grumpy old man' that I made for the 'Make Your Own Game' challenge (number 21).  The name of my game for Challenge 21 was 'Get off My Lawn!'

Here are some screenshots of the grumpy old man as created for Challenge 21 and my progress so far with morphs, costume, and hair change for a Rankin and Bass tribute.

another Classic Ted moment. Pick your style anywhere - in a good way. You better explain the movie to me though :)

Diomede said:

Yes an entry

wow you did a perfect job on the water Diomede - that's coming from someone who just did a raft in  storm images for the last week or two.

Stezza said:

Broken Fence

good to see M4 being taken out for a ride :) The new dinosaur movie on netflix is a scream - in more ways than one :)