Carrara Challenge #61 – Iconic movie Scene - WIP Thread

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,935
    edited February 2022

UnifiedBrain said:

Thanks Bunyip and Diomede.  It is from a modern Sci-Fi TV series.  The image is in the opening credits.

If no one here has ever seen it - I only learned about it two months ago - then I will reveal it tomorrow.

well that confirms I haven't seen it, I haven't watched TV in years and don't have pay TV wink

I was racking my brais trying to place it.

it does look very Roger Dean Album coverlike  

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,823

UnifiedBrain said:

Any guesses on this one?

looks like some dystopian future world series that hasn't made it to Oz just yet..

definately not 'The Peacemaker' surprise 

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,929

Stezza said:

UnifiedBrain said:

Any guesses on this one?

looks like some dystopian future world series that hasn't made it to Oz just yet..

definately not 'The Peacemaker' surprise 

Now that would be a great book cover @Unifiedbrain

Diomede said:

UnifiedBrain - love the power and simplicity of the render.  I have no guess, though.

@Headwax - if you attach your final images to another post in this thread with instructions/permission to add to the entry list, someone can do it for you while you are unavailable.  Or, at least we can ask, but I doubt Philemo would object.

thankyou @Diomede ;)

edited February 2022

Entry # (Tba)

Title: Indy On the Run

Movie referenced: The Temple of Doom - where the big spherical  rock chases Indiana Jones down the lava tube

Work In progress posts. https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/7281916/#Comment_7281916

Comments  Lots of post work. used Ron's vine brushes to paint in some extra ones. As per ususal it's rendered out at 6000 pixels wide

Post edited by Headwax on
    edited February 2022

Entry # (Tba)

Title "Why did it have to be snakes?"

Movie referenced: Indiana Jones

Work In progress posts. https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/7282246/#Comment_7282246

Comments  : Another 6000 pixel image

Fedora from a nice chap at sharecg - have to look him up.

The dust is replicated polygons on an invisable cobe. I gave them a glow.

The cone lights are a series of spotlights at the same place with different gels and other parameters to give different cone zones

edited February 2022

Entry # (Tba)

Title : "Feel the Force Luke"

Movie referenced: "Star Wars"

Work In progress posts. https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/7301426/#Comment_7301426

Comments:  I did the render then composited Merlin in --- err I Mean ObeeOneKanobie :)

Prepost - and post post (6000Pixels) 

I had scene aura ? turned on to make the glow, glow.

added reflection to some parts of the scene so I could use caustics - the light sabre is from a nice person on sharecg as is the retxturing of Valiant Garn trousers and boots.

the top is cheyenne top retextured -

the sci fi cabin has been retuxtured on the lights area 

edited February 2022

If someone wouldn't mind posting those last three entries for me when the entry thread is opened that would be more than kind - thanks :)

edited February 2022

not an entry something from many years ago - Diomede's Tin man post spurred my memory

the sequel to thw Wizard Of Oz ;)

from memory modelled most of the tin man's garb, the lion is the daz lion reboned to fit m4

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,086
    edited February 2022

Looking fantastic, Andrew.  We will make sure they get in, Philemo permitting.

I think the attached will be my final entry, YES, an ENTRY.

This started out as another Not an Entry as I was looking through my old files.  I have a collection of major landmarks in the Carrara native content and from other older sources.  This Capitol building having a surprisingly high density mesh.  As I was looking through my architecture collection, I felt like I was in a scene from Earth vs The Flying Saucers - and what do you know, the next folder contained a flying saucer!  Serendipity.

So here is a simple scene with just a Carrara terrain using a plateau filter, an old mesh model of the Capitol which I think is from Renderosity but may have been part of extended Carrara native content, and an old flying saucer from Renderosity.

I used Philemo's GMIC plugin to apply a GMIC filter, with a film preset for B/W.

I will probably crop the image before entry.

Earth vs Flying Saucers 02.png
    1600 x 1200 - 1M
    Post edited by Diomede on
    edited February 2022

And here is a trailer from the classic movie.  

I might swap out the US Capitol with another landmark from the native browser files.  London Bridge, Taj Mahal, whatever. 

I like that the trailer uses the 'Three C's' of vintage movie advertizing.

See (some spectacular thing)!

See (some titilating thing)!

See (some extreme thing)!

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited February 2022

The Awakening of Howard Silk

This is an image from the opening credits of "Counterpart," a TV series originally broadcast on the Starz network.  Sadly, It only ran for two seasons, ending over a year ago.

The premise (revealed in the 1st episode) was that a parallel universe exists which contains the same people as in this universe.  For me, it sounded pretty familiar.  I first encountered the idea in "Mirror, Mirror," an epsode from the original Star Trek Series.  And, subsequent series from Star Trek and others have revisited it many times.

The difference between Counterpart and the rest, is that Counterpart really goes into the gritty possibilities and consequences of such a discovery.

As you might imagine, many of the series actors get to play two roles - themself and their counterpart.  The subtle and not-so-subtle differences give the actors an excuse to really demonstrate their craft.

Highly recommended, if just to watch J K Simmons in action.  The game of Go is also used as a metaphor, so I could have entered this in the last Challenge. :)

Here is a sample of the opening credits.  At about the 50 second mark, you will see the image.

This (updated) render was done entirely in Carrara, using vertex objects, primitives, procedural shaders, volumetrics, lights, and a Carrara mesh model from the Object menu.  As a result, it took less than 2 seconds to either load or save.  My kind of render!

No postwork.

Counterpart.png
    1800 x 1103 - 2M
    Counterpart Carrara setup 1.JPG
    1662 x 958 - 240K
    Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
  • that's a lot of lights surprise

edited February 2022

WendyLuvsCatz said:

that's a lot of lights surprise

Yup!  I experimented with a lot of different methods, since lighting effects are everything in this image.  

And as you know, it is SO easy to create banks of lights in Carrara.

Diomede said:

This started out as another Not an Entry as I was looking through my old files.  I have a collection of major landmarks in the Carrara native content and from other older sources.  This Capitol building having a surprisingly high density mesh.  As I was looking through my architecture collection, I felt like I was in a scene from Earth vs The Flying Saucers - and what do you know, the next folder contained a flying saucer!  Serendipity.

So here is a simple scene with just a Carrara terrain using a plateau filter, an old mesh model of the Capitol which I think is from Renderosity but may have been part of extended Carrara native content, and an old flying saucer from Renderosity.

I used Philemo's GMIC plugin to apply a GMIC filter, with a film preset for B/W.

thnaks for that @Diomede :)

Great choice of film and nice angle. That film scared the bejaggers out of me when I was a kid.

All your render needs is some death lasers!

See you when I get back :)

UnifiedBrain said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Yup!  I experimented with a lot of different methods, since lighting effects are everything in this image.  

superb homage - you captured that perfectly

edited February 2022

Headwax said:

UnifiedBrain said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Thanks HW.  Got to use the boolian tool - yay!  And I should have mentioned that I used the barn door gel on all of those spotlights. 

BTW - your Wizard of Oz image was pretty cool. yes

When will you return from vacation?

• ed3d - good addition to Multipass. yes

Stezza - for some reason I have never seen the Mad Max movies.  Weirdly, my late Mom was a big fan.  Lots of grit, well done.

Diomede - looking forward to a classic Earth vs Flying Saucers render!

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,823
    edited February 2022

UnifiedBrain said:

The Awakening of Howard Silk

This is an image from the opening credits of "Counterpart," a TV series originally broadcast on the Starz network.  Sadly, It only ran for two seasons, ending over a year ago.

The premise (revealed in the 1st episode) was that a parallel universe exists which contains the same people as in this universe.  For me, it sounded pretty familiar.  I first encountered the idea in "Mirror, Mirror," an epsode from the original Star Trek Series.  And, subsequent series from Star Trek and others have revisited it many times.

The difference between Counterpart and the rest, is that Counterpart really goes into the gritty possibilities and consequences of such a discovery.

As you might imagine, many of the series actors get to play two roles - themself and their counterpart.  The subtle and not-so-subtle differences give the actors an excuse to really demonstrate their craft.

Highly recommended, if just to watch J K Simmons in action.  The game of Go is also used as a metaphor, so I could have entered this in the last Challenge. :)

Here is a sample of the opening credits.  At about the 50 second mark, you will see the image.

This (updated) render was done entirely in Carrara, using vertex objects, primitives, procedural shaders, volumetrics, lights, and a Carrara mesh model from the Object menu.  As a result, it took less than 2 seconds to either load or save.  My kind of render!

No postwork.

now this is getting spooky!

this morning for absolutely no reason at all ( well there was a reason, to have a break from the war ) I switched over to my streaming service  and started browsing... I stopped on one show that caught my eye and thought this is new and started to watch it...

it is the show you mentioned! WTF!!!!..... I am freaked out now!

and I still haven't noticed the opening scene cool

the wife loves New Amsterdam BTW! wink

counterpart.jpg
    388 x 379 - 35K
    Post edited by Stezza on
  • Cue Twilight Zone music. :)

You are in for a treat. :)  The show is especially compelling considering it first aired in 2017 before covid was even on the radar (that will make sense later)

The graphic (the one I rendered) from the opening credits lasts for only 2 seconds.  But it haunted me the first time I saw it.  I like creative graphics in the credits.  Few shows ever do them.

UnifiedBrain said:

Headwax said:

UnifiedBrain said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Thanks HW.  Got to use the boolian tool - yay!  And I should have mentioned that I used the barn door gel on all of those spotlights. 

thanks :) oh vacation ends ? I am not sure - but soon starts! :)

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,806

Headwax said:

UnifiedBrain said:

Headwax said:

UnifiedBrain said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Make sure you are catching the fishes and not them catching you !!!

Diomede said:

Very nice !!!

Bunyip02 said:

Headwax said:

UnifiedBrain said:

Headwax said:

UnifiedBrain said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Make sure you are catching the fishes and not them catching you !!!

ha h a yes thank you, I normally surf by myself on deserted beaches...

sometimes it's a bit er ... 'sketchy'

the trick is to never look in the water

• ed3Ded3D Posts: 1,998
    edited March 2022

Diomede said:

BagBoy - nice one.  They forgot about the id!  And then he forgot about the id.  Id, id, id.

ed3D - Leeloo, leeloo!  Glad you liked the multipass.

_ yeah , Thanx   ~  but not  used the Stezza Multi-Pass , yet 

Post edited by ed3D on
  • ed3Ded3D Posts: 1,998

UnifiedBrain said:

ed3d - good addition to Multipass. yes

~  yeah , Thanx ~ 

• Sorry to all participants. I've been very buzy recently.

Anyhow, I open now the entry thread.

Headwax said:

If someone wouldn't mind posting those last three entries for me when the entry thread is opened that would be more than kind - thanks :)

Done !!!

Bunyip02 said:

Headwax said:

Done !!!

thanks for doing that ! 

Cheers from here :)

edited March 2022

Great recent additions.  No time to comment.  I am traveling and my laptop died.  It is a relatively new laptop.  I am very angry.  Will have to send it back to the manufacturer.  Am signing on from a borrowed IPad.  Will add my images to entry thread when I return to Arkansas during the middle of the week.  Argh.