Daz Studio Pro BETA - version 4.20.0.17! (*UPDATED*)

Comments

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,621

...so question, has the Thin Coat issue for skin and hair (where both render darker than they should) been dealt with yet?

• kyoto kid said:

...so question, has the Thin Coat issue for skin and hair (where both render darker than they should) been dealt with yet?

As with Ghost Lights this is a change nVidia made to be more physically correct. If you review the chnage log Daz has found soem ways to partially adapt to the chnaged settings but it isn't going to fully restore the previous behaviour.

• takezo_3001takezo_3001 Posts: 1,948
    edited December 2021

Maybe it's the hair, but I'm getting some wretched red dot artifacts... maybe transmapped hair is no longer viable with this iteration of iray.

But the skin/lighting looks magnificent!

EDIT: It wasn't because of the transmapped hair was incompatible for iray, it was that the emissions were turned on in the hair's shader for some reason.

RED ARTIFACTS IN THE HAIR.png
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    Post edited by takezo_3001 on
  • jbowlerjbowler Posts: 745

takezo_3001 said:

Maybe it's the hair, but I'm getting some wretched red dot artifacts... maybe transmapped hair is no longer viable with this iteration of iray.

There are a lot of fireflies in that image, particularly around the character's right eye (green ones) and eyebrow.  Zoom in by a factor of two - the hair has what seem to be fireflies primarily red and green ones.  The red stuff just seems to be a concentration of red fireflies in certain areas.  I've always had this problem with some hair, I suspect particularly strand based hair.  There are a lot of reflections between the strands and the strands end up with specular reflections which seem to converge very slowly.  I've had renders that look pretty good in a few minutes but take 24 hours to get the hair ok.

edited December 2021

jbowler said:

takezo_3001 said:

There are a lot of fireflies in that image, particularly around the character's right eye (green ones) and eyebrow.  Zoom in by a factor of two - the hair has what seem to be fireflies primarily red and green ones.  The red stuff just seems to be a concentration of red fireflies in certain areas.  I've always had this problem with some hair, I suspect particularly strand based hair.  There are a lot of reflections between the strands and the strands end up with specular reflections which seem to converge very slowly.  I've had renders that look pretty good in a few minutes but take 24 hours to get the hair ok.

Yeah, I tested out various hairs and this seems a real problematic one while the others were fine, I'll strip out the reflections and textures themselves to narrow down the issue! 

EDIT: HA, I solved it, apparently the default shader has emissions turned on for some inexplicable reason, hence the glowing red fireflies!

Post edited by takezo_3001 on
  • Saxa -- SDSaxa -- SD Posts: 871
    edited December 2021

DAZ Studio, like it or not, works with Win 10 explorer.

I make alot of stuff and move it around so works great with DazStudio (esp Beta).

Unfortunately Windows added the feature in these newer OS's that a file folder drag n' drop is just done, with zero notice.
    So just had another accidental move that I didn't even see happen this time.
    Took a while to find cos Win Search is slower than molassses for bigger subfolders, and so once again had to find moved folder manually.  Found it.

So for those of you using Daz Studio and windows folders system to work together, I dl'd this from Github.
    https://github.com/broken-e/DragDropConfirm/issues/27
    Follow instructions.  Works in test to give Win10 & any folder move a confirmation now.
    So if you like a fast mouse, or etc,  you won't have terrible surprises at times when you go to load DS scenes, saying your assets are not there. (they moved accidentally before ).

Post edited by Saxa -- SD on
  • jbowlerjbowler Posts: 745

takezo_3001 said:

EDIT: HA, I solved it, apparently the default shader has emissions turned on for some inexplicable reason, hence the glowing red fireflies!

Ooh, I hate that.  Burning hair!  And the PAs who do that set the emission level for EV13; so I notice because I balance lights at EV0 (with tonemapping off) and suddenly I see a previously austere set of black locks turn into a flaming red head.

I recommend Iray Light Manager Pro; it finds all the emissive surfaces.  It could be better - I would like to be able to turn emissives off and on individually, DS doesn't support that directly but a script could do so either by memorizing the original setting or using some magic 'off' value settings (the emissive color has to be set to RGB(0,0,0) for off, but the other settings could be used as a flag.)

Emissive surfaces are a major gotcha in DS; the intensity really should be set to real world physical values, but that means changing the tonemapping EV to a real world value too.  This is why DS lights apparently have ridiculous lumen values; a darkish room is going to result in an EV (for 100ASA film) close to 0 and, indeed, DS Iray lights also work quite naturally (like, reasonable wattages) at EV0.  And this is "why" light sources end up with luminances multiplied by 8192 in most PA products.

These days I always end up checking for emissive surfaces before I start trying to get the lighting correct on a scene.  It's too much wasted effort trying to work out why a character has a green glint in the eye when they are holding a cellphone with a megawatt backlight.

jbowler said:

takezo_3001 said:

Ooh, I hate that.  Burning hair!  And the PAs who do that set the emission level for EV13; so I notice because I balance lights at EV0 (with tonemapping off) and suddenly I see a previously austere set of black locks turn into a flaming red head.

I recommend Iray Light Manager Pro; it finds all the emissive surfaces.  It could be better - I would like to be able to turn emissives off and on individually, DS doesn't support that directly but a script could do so either by memorizing the original setting or using some magic 'off' value settings (the emissive color has to be set to RGB(0,0,0) for off, but the other settings could be used as a flag.)

Got it already, I rarely use it though as I go for natural lights for most of my scenes 'cept for indoor ones so that means HDRI and sun&sky while using the specular rendering setting!

Emissive surfaces are a major gotcha in DS; the intensity really should be set to real world physical values, but that means changing the tonemapping EV to a real world value too.  This is why DS lights apparently have ridiculous lumen values; a darkish room is going to result in an EV (for 100ASA film) close to 0 and, indeed, DS Iray lights also work quite naturally (like, reasonable wattages) at EV0.  And this is "why" light sources end up with luminances multiplied by 8192 in most PA products.

These days I always end up checking for emissive surfaces before I start trying to get the lighting correct on a scene.  It's too much wasted effort trying to work out why a character has a green glint in the eye when they are holding a cellphone with a megawatt backlight.

I usually set my emissive lights/shader to use cd/cm^2, so I can precisely control the brightness, but yeah I have rarely encountered flood lit-phones or the like, but I do make it a habit to turn off all emissions set by PAs when using their indoor products, as they usually have emissions on each and every light fixture which increases the render times/workload considerably!

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,115

New beta just got released.

• They finally updated the FBX Importer/Exporter!

..did they fix the top coat issue that made hair and skin darker?

• kyoto kid said:

..did they fix the top coat issue that made hair and skin darker?

Since this is an Iray change to make the behaviour more physically correct I'm not sure we can expect a "fix".

edited January 2022

...OK, just going to hang with 4.15 then. . 

I'll head over to their forums to discuss the matter..

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • VividImaginatorVividImaginator Posts: 38
    edited January 2022

kyoto kid said:

I noticed you mentioned that you are having troubles with hair rendering black, regardless of any color you choose, and that skin is rendering dark and weird-looking.

I was having the same problems until I did this...

(Always backup your current Daz Studio version before updating! In case something goes wrong.)

-I should mention that I'm using NVIDIA Studio Drivers version 472.84 with an RTX 3090 graphics card-

Update your Daz Studio version to the last beta; Daz Studio Pro BETA - version 4.16.1.31 then follow this steps:

1 - Download NVIDIA vMaterials 1.7.0 Shader Presets AND NVIDIA vMaterials 2.0.0 Shader Presets from https://developer.nvidia.com/vmaterials

2 - Install NVIDIA vMaterials 1.7.0 Shader Presets (follow the installer instructions, it will install it in documents/mdl/)

3 - Install NVIDIA vMaterials 2.0.0 Shader Presets (follow the installer instructions, it will install it in documents/mdl/)

4 - Download "NVIDIA vMaterials 2.0.0 Shader Presets Daz Studio" from https://sharecg.com/v/98359 (it requires an account with them to download stuff.) and follow the included instructions. You can also follow the instructions in this post to install the NVIDIA vMaterials: Daz Forums post you will have the option to install both NVIDIA vMaterials versions INSTALL BOTH!

I can confirm that the given solution still works on Daz Studio Pro BETA - version 4.16.1.31

That solved the hair rendering black and skin rendering dark/weird-looking. I still can't use ghost lights but I use tonemapping and emissive surfaces to light my scenes.

I'm an enthusiast game developer; I have two games that I'm working on and I render scenes on a daily basis.

I hope this solves the problem for you, keep in mind that ghost lights will still not work.

Post edited by VividImaginator on
  • mikmodmikmod Posts: 65
    edited January 2022

I noticed in this beta (4.16.1.31) hair strands plugin doesn't seem to "transplant" the strands from one mesh (graft from G8M) to another one (graft for G3M) anymore. The graft mesh is exactly the same (amount of vertices) and the strands apply just fine (orange preview strands, not red). But the "Preview PR Hairs" shows strands still aligned to the old mesh shape, even when this mesh doesn't exist in the scene anymore. "Update Surfaces" option in the hair plugin also shows old shape of the non-existing mesh, and doesn't change to the new shape. Of course, the "Fit To" and "Parent Geometry" parameters are set to the new mesh, and the strands aren't parented to anything. Also, Transforms of the hair strands object are all zeroed as they should be.

The same thing happens in latest stable (4.16.0.3).

With "wearable" mesh (like scalp), applying it from G8M to G3M (or the other way) applies the hair strands correctly, since the mesh itself is still the same object.

I hope I explained it well. :)

Did anything change with the way hair plugin aligns/applies itself to the mesh?

Post edited by mikmod on
    edited January 2022

VividImaginator said:

kyoto kid said:

I noticed you mentioned that you are having troubles with hair rendering black, regardless of any color you choose, and that skin is rendering dark and weird-looking.

I was having the same problems until I did this...

(Always backup your current Daz Studio version before updating! In case something goes wrong.)

-I should mention that I'm using NVIDIA Studio Drivers version 472.84 with an RTX 3090 graphics card-

Update your Daz Studio version to the last beta; Daz Studio Pro BETA - version 4.16.1.31 then follow this steps:

1 - Download NVIDIA vMaterials 1.7.0 Shader Presets AND NVIDIA vMaterials 2.0.0 Shader Presets from https://developer.nvidia.com/vmaterials

2 - Install NVIDIA vMaterials 1.7.0 Shader Presets (follow the installer instructions, it will install it in documents/mdl/)

3 - Install NVIDIA vMaterials 2.0.0 Shader Presets (follow the installer instructions, it will install it in documents/mdl/)

4 - Download "NVIDIA vMaterials 2.0.0 Shader Presets Daz Studio" from https://sharecg.com/v/98359 (it requires an account with them to download stuff.) and follow the included instructions. You can also follow the instructions in this post to install the NVIDIA vMaterials: Daz Forums post you will have the option to install both NVIDIA vMaterials versions INSTALL BOTH!

I can confirm that the given solution still works on Daz Studio Pro BETA - version 4.16.1.31

That solved the hair rendering black and skin rendering dark/weird-looking. I still can't use ghost lights but I use tonemapping and emissive surfaces to light my scenes.

I'm an enthusiast game developer; I have two games that I'm working on and I render scenes on a daily basis.

I hope this solves the problem for you, keep in mind that ghost lights will still not work.

...as I run both the latest general release and a beta not sure if these will have an effect on the older general release version (4.15).

Also I am rendering on a pre RTX card (Maxwell Titan-X) with driver 472.59..Will that make a difference? 

• WandWWandW Posts: 2,791
    edited January 2022

I had mistakenly posted this in an old thread;

The orthogonal cameras can be rotated using my 3DConnexion Space Pilot 3D Mouse, which by definition shouldn't happen.  They cannot not be rotated using the screen controls, which is as it should be.

This does happen in the release version as well; not sure when this cropped up.

Post edited by WandW on
  • ...as I run both the latest general release and a beta not sure if these will have an effect on the older general release version (4.15).

Also I am rendering on a pre RTX card (Maxwell Titan-X) with driver 472.59..Will that make a difference?

I also use an older desktop with a GTX 1080 card; I use the last Daz Beta version along with NVIDIA materials (1 and 2) and the last studio drivers and it works. (hair doesn't render black and skin renders as it should.)

I don't know if NVIDIA materials 2 can be used with older drivers, my guess is no.

I don't know if using NVIDIA materials 1 or 2 would benefit Daz 4.15 I only use the last beta release.

• OmnifluxOmniflux Posts: 363

If installing NVIDIA vMaterials 2 Presets solves an issue, it is because it includes a newer version of some MDL Exchange files (probably core_definitions.mdl specifically). The ones DS ships with are installed at C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\shaders\iray\nvidia (or wherever you installed DS \shaders\iray\nvidia) but user defined MDL directories must take precedence. This is also why installing vMaterials 2 Presets can cause issues with older versions of DS. It sounds like the newer version of Iray in the DS beta probably needs the updated MDL Exchange files, but they have not been updated in sync. I am not currently running the beta to confirm.

edited January 2022

WandW said:

The orthogonal cameras can be rotated using my 3DConnexion Space Pilot 3D Mouse, which by definition shouldn't happen.  They cannot not be rotated using the screen controls, which is as it should be.

I noticed this some time ago as well, but did not file a bug report - I have done so now (Request #399374) in case you have not either.

Post edited by Omniflux on
    edited January 2022

Omniflux said:

If installing NVIDIA vMaterials 2 Presets solves an issue, it is because it includes a newer version of some MDL Exchange files (probably core_definitions.mdl specifically). The ones DS ships with are installed at C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\shaders\iray\nvidia (or wherever you installed DS \shaders\iray\nvidia) but user defined MDL directories must take precedence. This is also why installing vMaterials 2 Presets can cause issues with older versions of DS. It sounds like the newer version of Iray in the DS beta probably needs the updated MDL Exchange files, but they have not been updated in sync. I am not currently running the beta to confirm.

...so that makes it sound as if the Materials 2 presets would overwrite the the ones used by 4.15.  Or, would it only do so for the 4.16 Beta? Dont' want to mess anything up.

• still no face transfer for Mac.

Plus, i tried to install the latest Daz Central on my new macbook pro laptop and it won't let me even log in. just sat there twirling...

• apollogt_6d527113c1 said:

still no face transfer for Mac.

If there is I am sure it will be announced

Plus, i tried to install the latest Daz Central on my new macbook pro laptop and it won't let me even log in. just sat there twirling...

Daz Central does seem to have issues - Install Manager, however, is reported to be working.

edited January 2022

kyoto kid said:

...so that makes it sound as if the Materials 2 presets would overwrite the the ones used by 4.15.  Or, would it only do so for the 4.16 Beta? Dont' want to mess anything up.

It will not overwrite (as in replace), but override (as in take precedence). You can remove the directory from the MDL Directory Manager (in the Shader Mixer Edit menu) to revert this.

It will do this for any version of DS in which you have added a newer version of the MDL Material Exchange (which is included with vMaterials but is NOT vMaterials).

In this image, the MDL Material Exchange is the first entry - C:/ProgramData/NVIDIA Corporation/mdl

vMaterials is the second entry - C:/Users/Your Username/Documents/mdl

MDL Directory Manager

Post edited by Omniflux on
  • Does anyone remember what the number of the last more or less stable Daz Beta was? I mean a version that didn't have problems with ghost lights in particular. I still use 4.12 and after checking the latest beta, I'd really want to update but non-working ghost lights (or working but with a lot of extra steps) are a real deal breaker for me.
  • cgidesigncgidesign Posts: 435
    edited January 2022

@Omniflux or others

Can you help to solve a confusion I have regarding the DS default shaders and Nvidia Exchange?

I understood so far that Nvidia Exchange is there to allow for using shaders in DS which are made in other apps.

E.g.:

1. if somebody creates a shader in Adobe Substance Designer, this shader might contain definitions which are specific to this software. Other apps like DS do not understand this shader and will fail loading it.
    2. To avoid this, Adobe has given Nvidia a set of *.mdl files which contain the information about those definitions.
    3. Nvidia took those *.mdl files from Adobe and all the other Vendors and put them into the  mdl_material_exchange  installer.
    4. If I install the exchange set and tell DS where it's files are via Shader Mixer mdl directories, DS becomes able to use those shaders because it now knows the non standard definitions.
    5. But, DS does not need the Exchange files for it's own default shaders because those have definitions which are standard for DS. Those default files are in: C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\shaders\iray\  daz3d\ and nvidia\

My confusion comes in when there are posts saying that installing a new Exchange version will solve issues with DS default shaders. As I understand it, DS does not use or need the Exchange files for it's own shaders.

Might I be wrong here?

In contrast to mdl_material_exchange  there is also the vMaterials library. But this one only contains additional shaders. So, installing the vMaterials gives us new shaders but do not solve issues with the DS default shaders.

Might I be wrong here as well?

Post edited by cgidesign on
  • cgidesign said:

@Omniflux or others

Can you help to solve a confusion I have regarding the DS default shaders and Nvidia Exchange?

I understood so far that Nvidia Exchange is there to allow for using shaders in DS which are made in other apps.

E.g.:

1. if somebody creates a shader in Adobe Substance Designer, this shader might contain definitions which are specific to this software. Other apps like DS do not understand this shader and will fail loading it.
    2. To avoid this, Adobe has given Nvidia a set of *.mdl files which contain the information about those definitions.
    3. Nvidia took those *.mdl files from Adobe and all the other Vendors and put them into the  mdl_material_exchange  installer.
    4. If I install the exchange set and tell DS where it's files are via Shader Mixer mdl directories, DS becomes able to use those shaders because it now knows the non standard definitions.
    5. But, DS does not need the Exchange files for it's own default shaders because those have definitions which are standard for DS. Those default files are in: C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\shaders\iray\  daz3d\ and nvidia\

My confusion comes in when there are posts saying that installing a new Exchange version will solve issues with DS default shaders. As I understand it, DS does not use or need the Exchange files for it's own shaders.

Might I be wrong here?

In contrast to mdl_material_exchange  there is also the vMaterials library. But this one only contains additional shaders. So, installing the vMaterials gives us new shaders but do not solve issues with the DS default shaders.

Might I be wrong here as well?

I've not seen people suggesting that the nVidia Exchange files will help with the default shaders.

• cgidesigncgidesign Posts: 435

That solved the hair rendering black and skin rendering dark/weird-looking.

I am refering to something like the above (in that case it is about vMaterials (but installing vMaterials also installs Exchange in case it is not there, so there might be a cross effect)).

So, question remains: Neither Exchange nor vMaterials change anything regarding the default DS installation and it's included shaders right or wrong?

If right, installing vMat or Exchange will not solve any issue with skin, hair etc. als long as those use the default shaders (e.g. Uber Base)?

• skboaskboa Posts: 59

I've just noticed that when I change the max iterations while rendering, or, before saving the render, it won't resume where it left off anymore, it starts from the beginning at 1 iteration.

Can anybody confirm?

cgidesign said:

@Omniflux or others

I do not know if a new version of MDL Exchange will solve any issues - I have not seen the problem with hair rendering black. DS comes with NVIDIA's core_definitions.mdl version 0.1.12 and it is used by DAZ's pbr_skin.mdl. I do not know if any of the other DAZ supplied shaders use it. The most recent version of MDL Exchange also supplies core_definitions.mdl, but it ships with version 2.0.1. There could be other files supplied by both, I have not investigated.

When @VividImaginator states that installing either vMaterials or MDL Exchange resolves any issues, it would be because of the differences in the older versions of MDL files supplied with DS and the newer versions supplied by NVIDIA. The newer versions could cause other issues as they are unlikely to have been tested by DAZ if DAZ has not updated their own copies.

If you do install a new version of MDL Exchange, you can easily test this yourself by adding and removing the MDL Exchange directory in DS's MDL Directory Manager (C:/ProgramData/NVIDIA Corporation/mdl). DS will not use the MDL Exchange files unless it is listed here.

This is correct.