The We Will Miss You, Chohole Complaint Thread

Comments

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,760

I don't know the current status of his beekeeping, but my brother has tried at least two or more times to start on it.

• carrie58 said:

@RichardHaseltine  so is any thing being done about the lack of notifications on watched threads ? Should I make a ticket? It's lonely out here by myself ........

I don't know, we have reported it (and the lack of emails on new PMs too - it seems that all forms of email notification are failing) but no information on when it is likely to be addressed.

Richard Haseltine said:

carrie58 said:

@RichardHaseltine  so is any thing being done about the lack of notifications on watched threads ? Should I make a ticket? It's lonely out here by myself ........

I don't know, we have reported it (and the lack of emails on new PMs too - it seems that all forms of email notification are failing) but no information on when it is likely to be addressed.

thank you! 

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,008

Yeah, I just noticed I didn't get a notification either.

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,215
    edited November 2021

Complaint:  The motherboard on my "Baby-Bear" computer is an "Asus TufGaming B450M-Plus II".  Kind of a low end gaming board, but it came with a NewEgg bundling deal that allowed me to purchase an RTX-3060-OC card for only about 50% over manufacturer's suggested retail price (MSRP).   Which is a lot better than 2x or 3x.yes  (Note: the RTX-3060 graphics card went to my "Papa-Bear" machine.heart)

HOWEVER, despite the ability of Baby-Bear's motherboard to run fast RAM, and otherwise do everything that I expect to need of it for the next 5 or 6 years (even with just integrated graphics), it still complains that it is not Win11 compatible.sad  This is disappointing because all the parts in Baby-Bear are good quality and I expect them to perform well for at least 10 years.

I checked the Asus website.  Their official list of motherboards that support Win11 does not include my particular board or anything close to it.  There is an option in the UEFI BIOS to enable what it labels as "TPM2.0", and I've turned it on, but still no cigar.  I'm not sure that it is software emulation or just enabling the hardware board header for an actual TPM chip.  Regardless, I still get no satisfaction.  Also, the TPM header on the board has a pin missing in one of the corners instead of one of the interior pins, which seems to indicate that it's for TPM version 1, not 2.sad

So...., this seems to imply, that if I cannot find a way to support TPM2.0 in software, then Baby-Bear is destined to be obsolete in 4 years and grow old wearing old clothes, driving unsupported software, and ever-after, getting further behind the curve.  (Join the club.frown)

Non-complaint:  On the otherhand, Papa-Bear computer is OK with Win11.  I was able to find the UFEI BIOS setting to enable what appears to be imbedded TPM2.0 hardware, and now WindowsUpdate now says I'm compatible.  Wheee...yes

Momma-Bear, unfortunately is still up in the air.  Her motherboard is an Asus: Prime B360M-A and seems to have the proper TPM2.0 header with the pin-not-in-the-corner missing,  I need to check the UEFI BIOS on her to see if it has software emulation.

And despite Momma-Bear and Papa-Bear having hardware TPM2.0 potential, the hardware is still difficult to find for a reasonable price.sad  Go Figure!frown  Hopefully, before Win10 becomes unsupported, the TPM situation will be resolved.  I also believe in fairys.indecision

All of this is rather moot for now because I have no intention of moving to Win11 anytime soon.enlightened

(Note:)  Just for completeness, Papa-Bear's motherboard is an Asus: "Prime Z490A_UM_V2_WEB".

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,409

McGyver said:

TJohn said:

The strangest thing just happened.

I seem to have a beekeeper infestation in my front yard. Is there some kind of spray or something I can buy?

You keep bees?... I didn't know that.

I have a question I've never remembered to look up or ask anyone who keeps bees...

I've noticed that most beekeepers have hive boxes with a bunch of different colors... I get that there seems to be significant differences between the top and bottom sections but at least the ones I've seen around here the middles seem to all be the same size more or less, yet are often a variety of colors... is that just random... like the beekeeper repaired it and red was all they had at the moment... they bought a used box that was green and they didn't repaint it... or is it because that section has some significance... like the queen is there or there's a tiny library or movie theater in that section... do the bees paint it when they get bored?... I've assumed it's a used hive box thing, because at least one of the local beekeepers whose hives I can see from the road, the sections look very mix & match, like some of the sections don't look like they are from the same source or builder, or some look significantly older or more worn.

but anyway, that's a cool interest.

It's sometimes a regional thing I think. We had bees for a while and just gave the hive (wood) a clear oil finish, but most other keepers in our area have styrofoam boxes and traditionally paint them green, all parts of them. It might also be to prevent theft of the hives which amazingly has become rampant in the last few years. The idea probably is 'least seen, best protected'. But I also had collegues in the beekeeping course who painted their hives all in different colors. It might help bees to orient themselves towards the proper hive when they're coming home, but I don't think they really need it. Trees are rarely painted anything else then, well, treeish colored, right ...

They sure never helped us varnish, bees are notoriously lazy in that regard.

Styrofoam hives... that's interesting...

Well, color not withstanding, painting styrofoam with latex based paints keeps it from deteriorating when exposed to UV rays.

If it's the dense insulation type styrofoam boards, that makes a lot of sense because it probably insulates the hive from extreme temperatures... but I imagine the trade off would be low weight might make them more susceptible to wind damage or theft.

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,952

Richard Haseltine said:

carrie58 said:

Hmm but the newsletters are still arriving ,at least for me any way . Thank you though for responding

Is there football tomorrow?

• McGyver said:

Styrofoam hives... that's interesting...

Well, color not withstanding, painting styrofoam with latex based paints keeps it from deteriorating when exposed to UV rays.

If it's the dense insulation type styrofoam boards, that makes a lot of sense because it probably insulates the hive from extreme temperatures... but I imagine the trade off would be low weight might make them more susceptible to wind damage or theft.

I've had hives a few times.  Mostly they were red, itchy bumps and not to be recommended. 

• carrie58 said:

Richard Haseltine said:

carrie58 said:

Hmm but the newsletters are still arriving ,at least for me any way . Thank you though for responding

Yes, I meant forum-related notifications.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,263

Damn, should have pulled the trigger on the Stonemason items I had in my cart.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,621
    edited November 2021

..yeah had other things to do today and tonight so missed it.  Oh well, saved me money.

Post edited by kyoto kid on

Where is my eyeglass cleaner?

oh did I use my November coupon yet?

Happy Turkey Day Y'all!

And in case you aren't living somewhere where you celebrate the famous victory of Cornelius Vanderplop over the Turkey Hordes during the Battle of Drumstick Hill, thus freeing the Pilgrims from their cruel Turkey Overlords, then Happy Whateverthehell Day... I think today might be National Statehood Day in Bosnia and Herzegovina... or Teacher's Day in Indonesian... or maybe you celebrate Servius Tullius Day for the first of his three victories over those dang Etruscans.

Either way even if you don't feast on the flesh of our former Avian Overlords, go out and grab the biggest bird you can find... maybe some surly parrot or a really fat pigeon and take a big bite!... actually maybe cook it first, birds are pretty filthy creatures, especially the sky rats.

Either way, Happy Today!

I can haz turkey.  I can haz nap!

082C4612-9A7E-494A-A457-33BFBCBA6029.png
    444 x 640 - 86K
  • carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,952

Happy Turkey day to all and a peaceful food coma to end the day

Happy thanksgiving!

B5C80579-F66D-4E41-BFE2-1874BC8A0029.jpeg
    1963 x 377 - 143K
  • NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,537

McGyver said:

Gordig said:

Watching the live-action Cowboy Bebop. As someone who has seen the original, but has no great attachment to it, there are  lots of things they totally cocked up, but some things are definite improvements. 

I started watching it last night... I always liked the original, but not in a "fan" sort of way... I'm thinking if I hadn't seen the original I probably would like the new one more, because now that's "canon" sort of and I have an idea what stuff is supposed to be like.

I think one of the distracting things is the actor playing Spike, John Cho is almost 50 years old, where in the cartoon he seems to be in his late twenties... maybe if I hadn't known that, I'd buy him as Spike more readily... 

But yeah, basically I've got the same assessment... some stuff is better and some stuff is too "off"... but I guess they explain some stuff the anime didn't.

When you are done with Cowboy Bebop, you might want to check out Space Sweepers (on Netflix too)... it's kinda in the same genre, but it also sorta has an 80s feel to it... a little cheesy/hokey/over-the-top, but funish... like the original Total Recall or Robocop.

I've never watched Cowbow Bebop before, but the Netflix version was recommended to me by a person close to me because she thought I might appreciate the Netflix version of the Faye Valentine character. Since I've never seen the original, perhaps I might like it. Perhaps... 

I want to go to sleep soon.

so good night!

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,621

...making griddle Cajun bronzed catfish with  garlic, tarragon, pepper red potato wedges and beets for my holiday dinner.

Oh and if anyone cares, happy Blasé Day.

It's also GERD Awareness Week so don't eat too much.

...but tomorrow is National Cheesecake Day so save some room.

edited November 2021

@LeatherGryphon... I know I'm going to forget this, so I wanted to leave this here... I just came across this interesting mineral in an article and since I know you collect minerals... I'm betting you probably have heard of them, but in case you haven't it's a "Syenite Clasts Containing Fluorescent Sodalite" or "Yooperlite" as they are called by collectors... they fluoresce a bright yellow under UV light and have the appearance of magma or glowing embers.

Here a link to a YouTube video about them...

Post edited by McGyver on
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,263

NylonGirl said:

McGyver said:

Gordig said:

Watching the live-action Cowboy Bebop. As someone who has seen the original, but has no great attachment to it, there are  lots of things they totally cocked up, but some things are definite improvements. 

I started watching it last night... I always liked the original, but not in a "fan" sort of way... I'm thinking if I hadn't seen the original I probably would like the new one more, because now that's "canon" sort of and I have an idea what stuff is supposed to be like.

I think one of the distracting things is the actor playing Spike, John Cho is almost 50 years old, where in the cartoon he seems to be in his late twenties... maybe if I hadn't known that, I'd buy him as Spike more readily... 

But yeah, basically I've got the same assessment... some stuff is better and some stuff is too "off"... but I guess they explain some stuff the anime didn't.

When you are done with Cowboy Bebop, you might want to check out Space Sweepers (on Netflix too)... it's kinda in the same genre, but it also sorta has an 80s feel to it... a little cheesy/hokey/over-the-top, but funish... like the original Total Recall or Robocop.

I've never watched Cowbow Bebop before, but the Netflix version was recommended to me by a person close to me because she thought I might appreciate the Netflix version of the Faye Valentine character. Since I've never seen the original, perhaps I might like it. Perhaps... 

The characterization is one of the things that is a clear improvement over the original (aside from Vicious, who sucks both as an adaptation and on his own merits). The original spent shockingly little time or effort developing the characters, so all you really get of Faye for the first half of the series is that she's snarky and impulsive.

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,215
    edited November 2021

McGyver said:

@LeatherGryphon... I know I'm going to forget this, so I wanted to leave this here... I just came across this interesting mineral in an article and since I know you collect minerals... I'm betting you probably have heard of them, but in case you haven't it's a "Syenite Clasts Containing Fluorescent Sodalite" or "Yooperlite" as they are called by collectors... they fluoresce a bright yellow under UV light and have the appearance of magma or glowing embers.

Here a link to a YouTube video about them...

Cool!cool  No,  I hadn't heard of those before.  I do have a UV light and I do know of fluorescent minerals but haven't formed a collection around them yet.  i.e. I have only one example.  

Although if one had a big outdoor UV light and a bunch of your pictured rocks, it could be fun to toss a few of them in one's neighbor's yard and run around yelling "volcano, volcano".devil  Especially if you wear something, like silk, that fluoresces sort of greenish and you walk into the yard to examine the "volcano" and start turning greenish and yell "Stay back!  It's radioactive".devillaugh   Almost as funny as explaining the difference between red and blue electrons and why the wires they travel through must match their color.  (*Yeah, I'm wicked.devil*)

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
    edited November 2021

LeatherGryphon said: 
    Cool!cool  No,  I hadn't heard of those before.  I do have a UV light and I do know of fluorescent minerals but haven't formed a collection around them yet.  i.e. I have only one example.  

Although if one had a big outdoor UV light and a bunch of your pictured rocks, it could be fun to toss a few of them in one's neighbor's yard and run around yelling "volcano, volcano".devil  Especially if you wear something, like silk, that fluoresces sort of greenish and you walk into the yard to examine the "volcano" and start turning greenish and yell "Stay back!  It's radioactive".devillaugh   Almost as funny as explaining the difference between red and blue electrons and why the wires they travel through must match their color.  (*Yeah, I'm wicked.devil*)

I hoped you’d find that interesting.

That’s funny about pranking your neighbor… I found the Yoopalites because I was looking for sources for an artificially created glow-in-the-dark mineral that I read about in an Ars Technica article…

The mineral will glow brightly for up to twelve hours, and the light output is equal to that of a glow stick… which is pretty cool as most glow-in-the-dark materials these day absolutely suck.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2021/11/will-glow-in-the-dark-materials-someday-light-our-cities/  ...(in case you are interested)

I intend to use the stuff for some crazy projects, but I also intended to use it to prank a couple of friends too… apparently since the stuff is a mineral the glow goes entirely through the surface and it’s appearance is pretty ethereal/mysterious/creepy and it comes in a variety of sizes from sand to driveway gravel, so the gravel makes for a good prank size.

Back in my youth I unintentionally started a brief urban legend at Stony Brook University in the process of pranking a friend who was a medical student at the time…

I came up with a story about me having read an article about some “unnamed university” that was experimenting with domesticating horseshoe crabs… in real life these arachnids are collected to donate some of their blood for medical research and to create clotting agent for hemophiliacs… the crabs are released afterwards, but it’s a difficult process (my kids actually participated in a collection for a school project and it’s pretty tiring)… 

The story was that the university in question in an effort to make collection easier, was trying to develop a domesticated strictly land based crab by using tarantula and whip spider DNA, but instead created a meat eating mutant. 

Unbeknownst to the researchers the creatures which were being raised in concrete pens in one of the underground facilities (Stony Brook has several connected by an elaborate Cold War tunnel system… the whole university at one time could remain functional in the event of a nuclear war because of the underground facilities)… (not a lot of people knew about that, but we knew the person the prank was directed at did)…

According to the fictitious article, the researchers didn’t realize the crabs (some now the size of a toilet seat) could climb up walls, so eventually a bunch escaped into the ductwork and were living off squirrels who had infested the ducts in several buildings (there was an actual squirrel infestation that had recently been solved, which at the time most students knew about)… 

Apparently maintenance people started discovering molted shells from the creatures in the ducts and alerted the researchers who tried to keep the whole thing undercover as they had recently learned that several students had been bitten while sleeping.

The story was laced with lots of details about the school pretty much only a medical student would know about (including the underground cadaver storage area, which is straight from a zombie flick) and I waited for tge friend to be hanging out with her other friends who were also medical students… the idea being they’d piece the story together and conclude it was Stony Brook.

But the real gem of the prank hinged on me and three of my friends collecting lots of horseshoe crab shells from a local north shore beach (which we’d already done)… one of my friends had hidden several laundry bags full of shells on his dorm room balcony in preparation… the idea being that we’d start leaving them all over the friend’s dorm building in conspicuous areas so people would find them and start talking about it, and then eventually we’d leave a huge almost completely shell, the size of a hubcap under the friend’s bed… which would totally freak her out.

It almost worked that way.

I told the story, it went over well and the individual it was directed at completely bought it and tried to convince me it was Stony Brook which I pretended to blow off as “crazy”… 

We managed to plant a bunch of shell all around, which got people talking about it, but before we got much further a huge storm came in and blew the dozens of shells off the balcony and all over the quad and all over the parking lots… apparently some people found them a discarded them in other places after the novelty wore off, increasing the distribution… 

I never figured the other students would tell so many people the story, because apparently it spread around the campus and freaked out a lot of people who freaked out more when they came across the shells miles from a beach.

I didn’t realize how long it would last though… twenty years later, I met someone who enrolled there ten years after the prank who told me about the killer crab legend when we we talking about the school’s underground facilities.

I’ve got an interesting and elaborate plan for the glowing rock prank too.

Heh-heh-heh…

Post edited by McGyver on

NylonGirl said:

Faye Valentine is exactly like an old friend of mine... and I can relate to the rest of the Bebop crew having to deal with her impulsiveness... although that's more of a thing in the anime, where she tends to get into messes and starts fights, as opposed to the live action where she seems a little less impulsive.

I kinda like the live action version a bit more now, but I can't make it past episode six, as I keep falling asleep (it doesn't help that I start watching at around 1am).

I hope they renew it, I think most series do better in a second season.

Complaint: Ugh!... The freaking forum is super buggy today... it's giving me brain trauma trying to read or post anything... Gaaaaaagh!

I saw a show that had people thinking they found some fancy jewels but in the end it was just crap.

• tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,409

McGyver said:

LeatherGryphon said: 

I hoped you’d find that interesting.

That’s funny about pranking your neighbor… I found the Yoopalites because I was looking for sources for an artificially created glow-in-the-dark mineral that I read about in an Ars Technica article…

The mineral will glow brightly for up to twelve hours, and the light output is equal to that of a glow stick… which is pretty cool as most glow-in-the-dark materials these day absolutely suck.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2021/11/will-glow-in-the-dark-materials-someday-light-our-cities/  ...(in case you are interested)

I intend to use the stuff for some crazy projects, but I also intended to use it to prank a couple of friends too… apparently since the stuff is a mineral the glow goes entirely through the surface and it’s appearance is pretty ethereal/mysterious/creepy and it comes in a variety of sizes from sand to driveway gravel, so the gravel makes for a good prank size.

Back in my youth I unintentionally started a brief urban legend at Stony Brook University in the process of pranking a friend who was a medical student at the time…

I came up with a story about me having read an article about some “unnamed university” that was experimenting with domesticating horseshoe crabs… in real life these arachnids are collected to donate some of their blood for medical research and to create clotting agent for hemophiliacs… the crabs are released afterwards, but it’s a difficult process (my kids actually participated in a collection for a school project and it’s pretty tiring)… 

The story was that the university in question in an effort to make collection easier, was trying to develop a domesticated strictly land based crab by using tarantula and whip spider DNA, but instead created a meat eating mutant. 

Unbeknownst to the researchers the creatures which were being raised in concrete pens in one of the underground facilities (Stony Brook has several connected by an elaborate Cold War tunnel system… the whole university at one time could remain functional in the event of a nuclear war because of the underground facilities)… (not a lot of people knew about that, but we knew the person the prank was directed at did)…

According to the fictitious article, the researchers didn’t realize the crabs (some now the size of a toilet seat) could climb up walls, so eventually a bunch escaped into the ductwork and were living off squirrels who had infested the ducts in several buildings (there was an actual squirrel infestation that had recently been solved, which at the time most students knew about)… 

Apparently maintenance people started discovering molted shells from the creatures in the ducts and alerted the researchers who tried to keep the whole thing undercover as they had recently learned that several students had been bitten while sleeping.

The story was laced with lots of details about the school pretty much only a medical student would know about (including the underground cadaver storage area, which is straight from a zombie flick) and I waited for tge friend to be hanging out with her other friends who were also medical students… the idea being they’d piece the story together and conclude it was Stony Brook.

But the real gem of the prank hinged on me and three of my friends collecting lots of horseshoe crab shells from a local north shore beach (which we’d already done)… one of my friends had hidden several laundry bags full of shells on his dorm room balcony in preparation… the idea being that we’d start leaving them all over the friend’s dorm building in conspicuous areas so people would find them and start talking about it, and then eventually we’d leave a huge almost completely shell, the size of a hubcap under the friend’s bed… which would totally freak her out.

It almost worked that way.

I told the story, it went over well and the individual it was directed at completely bought it and tried to convince me it was Stony Brook which I pretended to blow off as “crazy”… 

We managed to plant a bunch of shell all around, which got people talking about it, but before we got much further a huge storm came in and blew the dozens of shells off the balcony and all over the quad and all over the parking lots… apparently some people found them a discarded them in other places after the novelty wore off, increasing the distribution… 

I never figured the other students would tell so many people the story, because apparently it spread around the campus and freaked out a lot of people who freaked out more when they came across the shells miles from a beach.

I didn’t realize how long it would last though… twenty years later, I met someone who enrolled there ten years after the prank who told me about the killer crab legend when we we talking about the school’s underground facilities.

I’ve got an interesting and elaborate plan for the glowing rock prank too.

Heh-heh-heh…

You sure have one interesting mind ... Not sure if I would want to be its neighbor (or study collegue, for that matter ...), but my, do I love reading what comes out of it! 

(By the by, those styrofoam hives (yep, exactly, used to safeguard bees against cold winters) can't usually be blown anywhere cause there's a whole lot of bees in them, and wooden frames, maybe some pollen, and honey or sugar solution. All of it pretty heavy together, a typical hive with a mature bee population and its share of winter food inside weighs around 40 kg at the start of winter. (You put stones on them nevertheless, so the tops don't fly away or animals take them off.))

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,450

McGyver said:

Complaint: Ugh!... The freaking forum is super buggy today... it's giving me brain trauma trying to read or post anything... Gaaaaaagh!

Tell me about it. We have to deal with it 12-16 hours a day. I swear some days it's down more than up. At least when it goes down usually a refresh will get it back.

This discussion has been closed.