The We Will Miss You, Chohole Complaint Thread

19495969798100»

Comments

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,705

Is it true editing bios wrong can turn computer into a big paper weight?

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,480

Sfariah said:

What do you mean by "editing"? 

PerttiA said:

Sfariah said:

Changing settings without knowing what they do. 

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,581

...yeah, that's why I stopped trying to get my RTX 3060 working with my old P6T Motherboard. Supposedly it should work, but making one wrong move when tweaking the BIOS can end up with a system that won't boot.  No thanks, I'll just save it for the W11 upgrade. The old Titan-X is rendering fast just that about a quarter of it's VRAM is used up by the Nvidia RTX emulation.

Sfariah said:

PerttiA said:

Sfariah said:

That shouldn't turn the motherboard into a paper weight, you can always reset the bios if you did something wrong, but it's not a good idea to change settings you don't know what they do. 

Updating the Bios on the other hand may get the motherboard into a state where it becomes difficult to get it working again, although some motherboards do come with a backup Bios that one can use with a flip of a switch.

Okay, I see now?

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,326

PerttiA said:

Sfariah said:

PerttiA said:

Sfariah said:

That shouldn't turn the motherboard into a paper weight, you can always reset the bios if you did something wrong, but it's not a good idea to change settings you don't know what they do. 

Updating the Bios on the other hand may get the motherboard into a state where it becomes difficult to get it working again, although some motherboards do come with a backup Bios that one can use with a flip of a switch.

That depends on what you do. I once accidently disabled USB on the bios  of my main $2.5k computer; so, I couldn't use my keyboard to get back ito the bios. I had to take it to the computer shop where they temporarily installed a PS2 port and keyboard so they could get into the bios and correct the error.

Charlie Judge said:

PerttiA said:

Sfariah said:

PerttiA said:

Sfariah said:

That depends on what you do. I once accidently disabled USB on the bios  of my main $2.5k computer; so, I couldn't use my keyboard to get back ito the bios. I had to take it to the computer shop where they temporarily installed a PS2 port and keyboard so they could get into the bios and correct the error.

There is a bios reset button or a jumper for reseting the bios, at least on the 'better' motherboards. 

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,172

PerttiA said:

Charlie Judge said:

PerttiA said:

Sfariah said:

PerttiA said:

Sfariah said:

There is a bios reset button or a jumper for reseting the bios, at least on the 'better' motherboards. 

Failing that, you can just take the battery out.

• NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,501

I don't want to hear anything about football right now.

NylonGirl said:

I understand. 

edited January 2022

Okay, and i think I know why now?

Post edited by Sfariah D on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,581
    edited January 2022

Sfariah said:

NylonGirl said:

I understand. 

...for myself, that has been the case since last week. 

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited January 2022

Hello?  
    for me it is good morning but I don't what time it is for you?

Post edited by Sfariah D on

Sfariah said:

Hello?  

It's 2PM and I'm going home in an hour 

I dreamt that I was at work cleaning the display stand got the napkins.  Oops wrong forums.

Meowaism the belief that the cat is the most important pet.  But what if the other pet is also a cat?

Sfariah said:

Hello?  

Morning for me.

Good morning (afternoon/evening/night or whatever) everybody ! 

Still morning for me.  I need to get the day started for me.

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,176
    edited January 2022

Non-complaint:  Wheee... I'm going to tempt fate here and declare that I have solved my TPM problem.surprise  The TPM2.0 device is installed, recognized and functioning.  The SSD has been completely erased and reinitialized with UEFI style boot/partitioning, and the BIOS has been sufficiently tweaked.  It now appears that, the SecureBoot process seems to be set up OK.  And I actually have a Win11 installation proceeding smoothly.  Yay!  Happy, happy, joy, joy. smileyyes

If it reboots properly and the BIOS settings have not reverted for some reason, and if I'm able to establish a personal login, I'll do a little jig.laugh

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on

Does anyone know how to reset a Lock Screen password for an android phone?  I recently found my old android phone, but can't remember the password.

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,017
    edited January 2022

Full of biscuit and gravy. (not a cookie) smiley Happy tummy. yes

Post edited by TJohn on

I could not figure out how to unlock that phone with a biscuit and/or gravy.

I just remembered my password was based on the main male figure for Daz3D.

• Non-complaint:  Wheee... I've been able to remove my Win11, hardware TPM, UEFI SSD system drive and replace it with my original Win10, configured to use firmware TPM and a MBR type SSD system drive.  I've also untweaked the BIOS and rebooted into my original Win10 system.  Yay!  I'm becoming semi-comfortable with the TPM/SecureBoot/disk_setup settings in the BIOS.  See, this old dog can learn new tricks, after all.cheeky

OK, next step is to save pertinent accounts, downloads and data from the original Win10 drive onto a USB drive.  Then completely erase all partitions on the original SSD (have to use "diskpart" to get them all).  Then reinitialize the SSD as a GPT (i.e. UEFI) type.  Then start a fresh installation of Windows10 and see if I can get it to install on the SSD in GPT mode.  If so, then I'll finish the installation of Win10 and test to make sure that WindowsUpdate announces that it is Win11 ready.  That machine (BabyBear) is being given as a gift so I want to make sure that it works now and is ready for Win11 when the new owner wants it.angel

Ooh I got two ideas how to deal with package thieves.  One if you have a cat who uses a litter box, clean the box and put  the used litter in a box previously sent to you.  Leave box of dirty litter on your porch and wait for the thief to get it

the other idea is if you are a new parent, put a collection of dirty diapers in the box with a thank you note for the thief picking up your baby's dirty diapers.

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,176
    edited January 2022

Non-complaint:  Wheee... Yay!  Happy, happy, joy, joy.  I've managed to configure the system so that it can run Win10 for the next 3 years or until Win11 is wanted, then it's been officially declared to be Win11 capable by the Microsoft update utility.  However, because of some gotchas, one setting in the BIOS will need to be changed when the system does the upgrade.  I would have preferred to not have to bother with a BIOS tweak even if only just one, but this is better than having to build onto a new drive from scratch and transfer over all that customization, accounts, and data.

'Nother non-complaint:  I finally broke down and rented the new movie "Dune" from AmazonPrime for a whopping $5.99.  I didn't really dislike the other versions, but this one is head & shoulders better.  Very clear statements of the plot without getting lost in the details.  Great costumes, wonderful acting, impressive sets, amazing special effects.   I enjoyed it at home on my 42" screen, but I can see where it would be awesome in an iMAX theater.surpriseyes

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on

I put out two cards for Valentines to be picked up in Saturday's mail, but it is still in the mailbox.

Sfariah said:

I put out two cards for Valentines to be picked up in Saturday's mail, but it is still in the mailbox.

Has the mail come yet? Some post offices no longer pickup on Saturday 

Charlie Judge said:

Sfariah said:

Has the mail come yet? Some post offices no longer pickup on Saturday 

it hasn't come today last time check. 

edited January 2022

LeatherGryphon said:

Non-complaint:  Wheee... Yay!  Happy, happy, joy, joy.  I've managed to configure the system so that it can run Win10 for the next 3 years or until Win11 is wanted, then it's been officially declared to be Win11 capable by the Microsoft update utility.  However, because of some gotchas, one setting in the BIOS will need to be changed when the system does the upgrade.  I would have preferred to not have to bother with a BIOS tweak even if only just one, but this is better than having to build onto a new drive from scratch and transfer over all that customization, accounts, and data.

'Nother non-complaint:  I finally broke down and rented the new movie "Dune" from AmazonPrime for a whopping $5.99.  I didn't really dislike the other versions, but this one is head & shoulders better.  Very clear statements of the plot without getting lost in the details.  Great costumes, wonderful acting, impressive sets, amazing special effects.   I enjoyed it at home on my 42" screen, but I can see where it would be awesome in an iMAX theater.surpriseyes

Wish I could do that at least on my mai $2.5k  computer

Complaint: No dogs for my dog to play with today at the park today

------------------------------

New thread https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/547596/the-continuing-complaint-thread

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
This discussion has been closed.