Look at my Hair (LAMH) Official Thread: update 1.6.0.2 released

Comments

• NorcaltrekNorcaltrek Posts: 9
    edited December 1969

Getting some errors since this update:

These messages come up as 3 popup windows when I start Daz Studio:

checkAuth: Couldn't open configuration file

writeAuth: Couldn't open configuration file for writing.

A critical error has occurred: Cannot access the cfg file after writeAuth.

Same Problem.

• Alessandro MastronardiAlessandro Mastronardi Posts: 2,593
    edited December 1969

barbult said:
    barbult said:
    Hi Alessandro,

Has there been an update to LAMH full or is it only the free player that has been Updated.??

Cheers,

S.K.

Only the Player now, but the full version is coming very soon as well, with several fixes and some new features.

The DIM shows an update for both.

It's probably the full version package being 'refreshed', but I assure you the full version is still at 1.5.01.
    OK, then that explains why the player readme was updated but the full version readme wasn't. Now that this full version "update" shows in my DIM, I wonder how I will know when the real update occurs?

Probably, you could just "update" the full version now (which will remain as it is, 1.5.01), so that the DAZ DIM will notify you on further releases.
    BTW, if you use FB, I suggest you to keep in touch with our LAMH page here: https://www.facebook.com/LookAtMyHair where we post news as they come.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,129
    edited October 2014

I "updated" as you suggested, and everything seems fine. The version is still at 1.5.0.1 as you stated. Now my DIM is ready to report the real update when it arrives.

Post edited by barbult on
  • araneldonaraneldon Posts: 712
    edited October 2014

Where's the manual for the full plugin? Only found a broken link at furrythings and the LAMH readme links to a short guide for the free player.

Edit: Nevermind, was looking at the wrong file. :oops:

Post edited by araneldon on
    edited December 1969

Is there currently a beta, and how do I gain access to it?

edited December 1969

araneldon said:
    Is there currently a beta, and how do I gain access to it?

Yes, we are currently on 1.5.12 (but soon a 1.5.13 will be issued). You can access it here: "http://lamh.ovbi.org"

edited December 1969

My account is "awaiting admin approval".

edited December 1969

araneldon said:
    My account is "awaiting admin approval".

Please check again, it should be ok now.

edited October 2014

Nothing to see here. Move along.

edited October 2014

Has anyone else here applied LAMH to the G2M creature legs? I'm getting a gap in hair coverage at the geograft edge and can't figure out why or whether it's user error.

Edit: Nevermind. It's a bug that has been fixed.

• Blaine91555Blaine91555 Posts: 148
    edited December 1969

I don't know if this is the right place, but I'm having an issue with trying to use the AM Rhino. I expected to find a preload, but eventually found the preset files, so that's OK. The documentation needs updated I think since the where to find list is well, wrong.

Anyway, if I try to load the lamh preset I get a crash 100% of the time in the full version of LAMH. Things like the big cats or say the racoon, no problem everything works fine. Is it that the files that come with the Rhino are outdated and not compatible. I've given up trying to use it for this image as I don't have time to mess with it, but would like to know for the future?

Anyone having any luck with it?

edited December 1969

I don't know if this is the right place, but I'm having an issue with trying to use the AM Rhino. I expected to find a preload, but eventually found the preset files, so that's OK. The documentation needs updated I think since the where to find list is well, wrong.

Anyway, if I try to load the lamh preset I get a crash 100% of the time in the full version of LAMH. Things like the big cats or say the racoon, no problem everything works fine. Is it that the files that come with the Rhino are outdated and not compatible. I've given up trying to use it for this image as I don't have time to mess with it, but would like to know for the future?

Hello, if you want please send me the LAMH and DS log file at '[email protected]'. I'll take a look at what's going wrong as it works fine on my PC for me. Thanks

edited December 1969

Hello, if you want please send me the LAMH and DS log file at '[email protected]'. I'll take a look at what's going wrong as it works fine on my PC for me. Thanks

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll get that to you tomorrow. No rush, I just want to figure it out. Thanks again.

Blaine

edited December 1969

OK, my apologies. It worked fine this time.

I'm beginning to think that DAZ Studio has a memory leak going on. I try and work on a second character to export without restarting it I'm getting crashes and the memory is maxing out when it should not be.

• OdaaOdaa Posts: 1,548
    edited December 1969

There's something I'm not quite getting about the workflow on this. I go into the editor, play around a bit, maybe save the result as a preset, but can't seem to find any way to make the project show up on the figure in DS without closing DS, reopening it and the figure and using the preset. If I try to apply the preset to the figure in DS, it tells me that there's already an LAMH object in place. If I take the option to overwrite that, it aborts. If I close the scene and pull up the same figure in a new scene and try to apply the preset, it says there's already an LAMH object in place. If I try to export the hair from the editor in Renderman format DS crashes. If I try to export the hair from the editor as an object, DS crashes. I'm running Window 8.1 64-bit, DS 4.6 64-bit, on a computer with either 12G RAM or 16G RAM, so it seems like it shouldn't be a memory problem.

edited December 1969

Odaa said:
    There's something I'm not quite getting about the workflow on this. I go into the editor, play around a bit, maybe save the result as a preset, but can't seem to find any way to make the project show up on the figure in DS without closing DS, reopening it and the figure and using the preset. If I try to apply the preset to the figure in DS, it tells me that there's already an LAMH object in place. If I take the option to overwrite that, it aborts. If I close the scene and pull up the same figure in a new scene and try to apply the preset, it says there's already an LAMH object in place. If I try to export the hair from the editor in Renderman format DS crashes. If I try to export the hair from the editor as an object, DS crashes. I'm running Window 8.1 64-bit, DS 4.6 64-bit, on a computer with either 12G RAM or 16G RAM, so it seems like it shouldn't be a memory problem.

Hi Odaa, when you export the hair to Renderman it should ask to overwrite the current groups and perform the operation if you click yes.
    I'm not sure why it crashes for you but certainly to look at log files would help us (eventually you can email those at '[email protected]').
    Since we are getting closer to an important update, if you like you might try current beta at http://lamh.ovbi.org and see if it works better for you.

edited October 2014

Odaa said:

Hi Odaa, when you export the hair to Renderman it should ask to overwrite the current groups and perform the operation if you click yes.
    I'm not sure why it crashes for you but certainly to look at log files would help us (eventually you can email those at '[email protected]').
    Since we are getting closer to an important update, if you like you might try current beta at http://lamh.ovbi.org and see if it works better for you.

Thank you! I will test it again this evening and see what I can come up with to report. I'm enjoying playing with LAMH otherwise, the actual hair creation process is pretty easy to learn (actually getting good at it is another matter, like most things in this world).

Post edited by Odaa on
    edited December 1969

Odaa said:
    Odaa said:

Thank you! I will test it again this evening and see what I can come up with to report. I'm enjoying playing with LAMH otherwise, the actual hair creation process is pretty easy to learn (actually getting good at it is another matter, like most things in this world).

You're welcome Odaa. Feel free to contact me anytime, I'll help any way I can.

edited December 1969

The good news is that it seems to behaving now. As best I can tell, the mistake I was making was trying to export to Renderman before saving as an *.lamh preset, so if anyone out there is having random crashes when trying to export, they might want to make sure they have saved their work as a preset first.

• DAZ_ann0314DAZ_ann0314 Posts: 2,814
    edited December 1969

:)

• edited November 2014

Hi there. is there way to make lion mane like this ?
    http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2013/157/6/0/lions_and_caracal_by_zarnala-d682nmp.png
    I really need to make mane for my anthro character

Post edited by fixmypcmike on
  • SotoSoto Posts: 1,437
    edited December 1969

I don`t have the plugin, but I tried the free player to do this and thought about sharing it here.
    There`s the Caleb hair stuck in there too, but the rest is one of the presets from the LAMH site.

G2F_Skin_Test_DAZ.jpg
    1000 x 1525 - 668K
    edited December 1969

I'm having trouble with LAMH and instanced props. Based on the manual I should be able to replicate 1000 cubes on a sphere in a few seconds at most, but it's just not happening.

What exactly are the necessary steps to make this work?

Is the hair quantity in the export dialog supposed to be the number of instances created?

edited December 1969

araneldon said:
    I'm having trouble with LAMH and instanced props. Based on the manual I should be able to replicate 1000 cubes on a sphere in a few seconds at most, but it's just not happening.

What exactly are the necessary steps to make this work?

Is the hair quantity in the export dialog supposed to be the number of instances created?

Try this:

- create a sphere, 1m diameter, 12 segments, 24 sides
    - create a cube, 0.1m side
    - start LAMH using the sphere, select all follicles, grow guides
    - click the export button, set 1000 hairs to export, toggle 'Instanced Geometry', pick the cube on the list on the right, and click export.

On my computer, I get the 1000 cube instances covering the sphere in a 2-3 seconds.

edited November 2014

That worked as expected. So apparently it's something about the previously saved test scene (cube and sphere) that caused it to stall.

Also tried to replicate cubes on the Heart of The Matter ground prop (14400 follicles) and it's stalling with hair quantity at 100.

Edit: To illustrate why I'm having trouble understanding the performance of this, I just tested a similar scenario in Carrara: same ground prop but three different plant props instead of cubes, takes about a second to create 1000 instances. (Actually it takes about a second to create the geometry at render time; distributing the instances is instant).

edited November 2014

Tried three plant props on sphere (same parameters), first 1000 instances and then just 50, stalled both times.

tofusan's replicator script did 500 or 1000 (I forget which) instances in about three seconds.

• MBuschMBusch Posts: 547
    edited November 2014

Odaa said:

Hi! I am experimenting some similar issues and maybe someone can give me a little help with this. Maybe I am just making the steps wrongly.

Anyway, the problem is:
    I load Millennium Cat in Studio and using LAMH panel in Studio I attach a preset (downloaded from Furry Things web site) to the figure. It works fine at all, but in fact I make my renders in Lux via Reality plug-in, so I open the LAMH editor and export Fiber Hair with Load in Studio option checked. The process works fine also, but there are some problems:

1) The Fiberhair export dialog accepts a new name for the Geometry Set but export the geometry with the default name. This is a problem, because if I need change the figure pose and export the fur again, it will overwrite my previous export.

2) It always warns me about overwrite the LAMH Group. If I choose No, nothings happens, if I choose Yes the export proceeds and attach the resultant geometry to the existing LAMH Group. That is fine, I just delete the original fur from the Group keeping the converted one, but these exported and loaded geometry are not saved in the scene, so when I open the scene again it is missing.

3) After attach a preset to the figure I cannot delete it in any way. If I try remove the LAMH Group directly in DS Scene panel, Studio just crash.

By the way, I am using the last beta 1.5.15 with Studio 4.6.3.52 and 4.7.0.11 in OS X 10.10 and the issue occurs in both. Also, with the last LAMH beta installed, Studio always crash on exit, have I used or not LAMH.

Post edited by MBusch on
    edited December 1969

MBusch said:
    Odaa said:

Hi! I am experimenting some similar issues and maybe someone can give me a little help with this. Maybe I am just making the steps wrongly.

Anyway, the problem is:
    I load Millennium Cat in Studio and using LAMH panel in Studio I attach a preset (downloaded from Furry Things web site) to the figure. It works fine at all, but in fact I make my renders in Lux via Reality plug-in, so I open the LAMH editor and export Fiber Hair with Load in Studio option checked. The process works fine also, but there are some problems:

1) The Fiberhair export dialog accepts a new name for the Geometry Set but export the geometry with the default name. This is a problem, because if I need change the figure pose and export the fur again, it will overwrite my previous export.

2) It always warns me about overwrite the LAMH Group. If I choose No, nothings happens, if I choose Yes the export proceeds and attach the resultant geometry to the existing LAMH Group. That is fine, I just delete the original fur from the Group keeping the converted one, but these exported and loaded geometry are not saved in the scene, so when I open the scene again it is missing.

3) After attach a preset to the figure I cannot delete it in any way. If I try remove the LAMH Group directly in DS Scene panel, Studio just crash.

By the way, I am using the last beta 1.5.15 with Studio 4.6.3.52 and 4.7.0.11 in OS X 10.10 and the issue occurs in both. Also, with the last LAMH beta installed, Studio always crash on exit, have I used or not LAMH.

Hello MBusch, actually there is nothing wrong you are doing, all the three issues you mentioned are confirmed and still being worked out. Issue 1 was actually fixed some betas ago, but somehow got into the development code again. Issue 2 and Issue 3 are more complicated to work but we should be able to get those done in next beta.

• edited December 1969

Hi. im purcheased lamh but i cant use it properly it looks so unstable i dont know why it keep chashing. its imposibble to work on.
    what should i do?
    my specs are more higher than recommended. but still it doesnt work properly

edited December 1969

Hi. im purcheased lamh but i cant use it properly it looks so unstable i dont know why it keep chashing. its imposibble to work on.
    what should i do?
    my specs are more higher than recommended. but still it doesnt work properly

Hello, latest 1.5.15 (http://lamh.ovbi.org/index.php?topic=52.0) should have fixed most issues introduced with latest DS4.6 updates.
    Please try it and see if the system behaves well. In case you need direct support, feel free to email me at '[email protected]'