edited December 1969

testing light and ambient occlusion

Wow! Very good render! I like it

• magaremotomagaremoto Posts: 1,226
    edited December 1969

pimpy said:
    testing light and ambient occlusion

Wow! Very good render! I like it

thank you, it's only a test about carrara potential; talking about AO there is a useful bug (?) in carrara helpful for shading the scene: if you check indirect light>ambient occlusion and launch the render, then stop it and uncheck the indirect light box, a part of the shadowed "veil" remains in memory taking part in lighting, moreover it's radius dependent; at least this is what it happens with my 8.5 version

• stringtheory9stringtheory9 Posts: 411
    edited December 1969

dustrider said:
    Playing around with the Octane Render demo for Carrara while I save up :-) Mainly focusing on eyes and skin detail right now.

Looks great!

Thanks Dustrider. The renders you've done with Octane are awesome!

edited December 1969

same light rig but different settings. The second shot shows the indirect light box unchecked, nevertheless a slight ambient occlusion has been computed

2.jpg
    407 x 710 - 81K
    villa1.jpg
    1440 x 696 - 933K
  • stormqqstormqq Posts: 76
    edited October 2014

My girl's nice little home , I plan to make a visual novel first.
    http://imgur.com/QIihgpb

I only took 2 mints to render on my dual core machine.

Post edited by stormqq on
  • stormqqstormqq Posts: 76
    edited December 1969

My imagination has done a runner,so another favourite character to pass the time until I can have an original idea. Not quite as I intended in my head but the boredom factor sets in after a week.

do you have a monster fetish? wow ur site is full of weird monsters, it looks great though.

edited December 1969

my current achievements with ambient occlusion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBxPpn5C7n0&feature=youtu.be

very good epic music inside :-)

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited October 2014

Great work, Magaremoto, and also great music, glad you gave a credit to help me find it and add to my epic music collection :)

I had never heard of Liquid Cinema before and now I'm perusing some of their stuff, very very good music.

Post edited by Jonstark on
    edited December 1969

thank you JS, Liquid Cinema and Two Steps from Hell are my favourite for movie and animation clips ;-)

• de3ande3an Posts: 915
    edited December 1969

Most of my stuff seems to end up in a dark, dusty sector of my hard drive. Usually unfinished. So I don't get around to posting very often. But this one turned out kind of nice I think.
    After poking at it for way too long, I guess it's "finished".
    It's the DAZ barn with a little interior modification. The figure is Stephanie, with several of the alternate personality morphs tweaked into it.
    The outdoor background is a photo that I took.
    I was contemplating this as a possible entry for last month's Carrara contest, but I don't think it had all of the required elements for that month's rules.

Barn-Steph5b1.jpg
    1024 x 956 - 374K
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

de3an said:
    Most of my stuff seems to end up in a dark, dusty sector of my hard drive. Usually unfinished. So I don't get around to posting very often. But this one turned out kind of nice I think.
    It's the DAZ barn with a little interior modification. The figure is Stephanie, with several of the alternate personality morphs tweaked into it.
    I was contemplating this as a possible entry for last month's Carrara contest, but I don't think it had all of the required elements for that month's rules.

I must really complement you on the excellent job with the interior lighting and getting it to complement the photo background. I've never been able to get the DAZ barn to look so good.

Speaking of the DAZ barn, I have always hated the lazy-ass hay bales. Having filled more barns with real hay bales than I care to remember, the only thing they have going for them is that they're rectangular. I toyed around with the idea of making some of my own to give away, but was distracted by other things. This picture reminded me of some of the ideas that I want to try.... Now if I can only stay focused.

• de3ande3an Posts: 915
    edited December 1969

I must really complement you on the excellent job with the interior lighting and getting it to complement the photo background. I've never been able to get the DAZ barn to look so good.

Speaking of the DAZ barn, I have always hated the lazy-ass hay bales. Having filled more barns with real hay bales than I care to remember, the only thing they have going for them is that they're rectangular. I toyed around with the idea of making some of my own to give away, but was distracted by other things. This picture reminded me of some of the ideas that I want to try.... Now if I can only stay focused.

Thanks. It took a lot of test renders to get the lighting to where I wanted it.
    I got the barn as one of the DAZ freebies, and it's not bad apart from some repeating texture patterns (which I Photoshopped out of the final render).
    The hay bales are pretty blah. I copied their image map into the bump channel and cranked it up high. I think it helped.

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

de3an said:

good one - now if you can get her to go to the loft ;-)

edited December 1969

de3an said:

Thanks. It took a lot of test renders to get the lighting to where I wanted it.
    I got the barn as one of the DAZ freebies, and it's not bad apart from some repeating texture patterns (which I Photoshopped out of the final render).
    The hay bales are pretty blah. I copied their image map into the bump channel and cranked it up high. I think it helped.

You did a great job with it. The limitation is with the bales, not the artist! :-)

edited December 1969

working on displacement; no bump or normal

De3an great work, photo quality

ten24_h_displ.jpg
    1677 x 2000 - 1M
    edited December 1969

another try with subdivision displacement

infinite.JPG
    1464 x 2000 - 2M
    edited December 1969

Those are very impressive! What textures?

edited December 1969

if you refer to which texture I have used in the displacement channel, is the bump one, slightly touched up; anyway it depends on the maps you own; subdivision displacement is very useful to give the skin an irregular and bumpy look; then you may add the normal or the bump map without pushing over the edge imo

• EyosEyos Posts: 114
    edited December 1969

Moment of relief in Africa... :-)

Elephant13.png
    1024 x 768 - 741K
    edited October 2014

if you refer to which texture I have used in the displacement channel, is the bump one, slightly touched up; anyway it depends on the maps you own; subdivision displacement is very useful to give the skin an irregular and bumpy look; then you may add the normal or the bump map without pushing over the edge imo

I meant the actual skin textures. For instance, the last one you posted with the younger man's eyes closed has skin blemishes and/or razor burn or infected hairs. The skin textures I have seen and bought are usually not very flawed. It is refreshing to see a "real" skin look. The great lighting you used also helps.

I did notice what appears to be non-texture map flaws and I was wonder if you knew what they were. Look at the ear just above the lobe, and the lower eyelid and you will see black spots that don't appear to be part of the texture map. Are they render artifacts do you think?

Post edited by evilproducer on
    edited December 1969

Eyos said:
    Moment of relief in Africa... :-)

That's an awesome render! Beats the crap out of my last elephant render. Speaking of which, it's not the elephant in the room that everyone is afraid to mention, it's what's left behind when it leaves! ;-)
    edited December 1969

I meant the actual skin textures. For instance, the last one you posted with the younger man's eyes closed has skin blemishes and/or razor burn or infected hairs. The skin textures I have scene and bought are usually not very flawed. It is refreshing to see a "real" skin look. The great lighting you used also helps.

I did notice what appears to be non-texture map flaws and I was wonder if you knew what they were. Look at the ear just above the lobe, and the lower eyelid and you will see black spots that don't appear to be part of the texture map. Are they render artifacts do you think?

I simply used the default textures included into the package of this head freely provided by Infinite Realities;

about the artifacts you're right: I always reduce my scenes to speed up render times; for example this head is 20 cm. tall, but especially with huge maps carrara doesn't render them correctly; around 30 cms the render would be flawless

another quick try here with bump and displacement to enhance the skin roughness

old_man1.JPG
    449 x 720 - 249K
  • MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited October 2014

I was playing around with Holyforest's Freaky Skins trying to break down how they were made and realized that one of them kind of looked like fur when applied to the metaball mess I was testing them on... which inspired this. The bear is from Bedtime http://www.daz3d.com/bedtime.

First image is the raw render straight out of Carrara 8.5 (I did black out the upright digit since I wasn't sure how the TOS and such applied to obscene teddy bear gestures :) ). The second image is after post-work (dimmed the glow on the ice cubes I made, desaturated the whole thing a bit, pixellated the gesture and added grunge and stitches to the bear). The finger on the bear, which you obviously can't really see is just a stretched out vertex sphere with the same skin texture applied to it).

BearRenderandPost.jpg
    1746 x 950 - 184K
    Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on
  • SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969
    edited December 1969

I meant the actual skin textures. For instance, the last one you posted with the younger man's eyes closed has skin blemishes and/or razor burn or infected hairs. The skin textures I have scene and bought are usually not very flawed. It is refreshing to see a "real" skin look. The great lighting you used also helps.

I simply used the default textures included into the package of this head freely provided by Infinite Realities;

about the artifacts you're right: I always reduce my scenes to speed up render times; for example this head is 20 cm. tall, but especially with huge maps carrara doesn't render them correctly; around 30 cms the render would be flawless

I love this one especially... is there a link for Infinite Realities? Thanks for showing it to us.

xx :-) Silene

edited December 1969
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921
    edited December 1969

nufin serious, just started having my work printed out pigment prints on watercolour paper etc, biggest work so far has been 78cm by 181cm, looks a charm if watch the contrats/ detail in the darks

there's one of them on show in a gallery here in Newcastle Oz at the moment,
    there's a picture of it here and details in this online magazine page 97 ,
    thanks for looking ;)

http://issuu.com/robynwerkhoven/docs/slp_arts_zine_nov-dec_2014_-/1

edited December 1969

head wax said:
    nufin serious, just started having my work printed out pigment prints on watercolour paper etc, biggest work so far has been 78cm by 181cm, looks a charm if watch the contrats/ detail in the darks

there's one of them on show in a gallery here in Newcastle Oz at the moment,
    there's a picture of it here and details in this online magazine page 97 ,
    thanks for looking ;)

http://issuu.com/robynwerkhoven/docs/slp_arts_zine_nov-dec_2014_-/1

Wow, Andrew, that is powerful...the body paintwork is amazing and I enjoyed reading about the two warding off the evil eye (Boori Nazar).

Congratulations!!!

By the way, how did your large format print come out with the 150 vs 300 dpi??? Is that what you meant by the details in the dark parts?

:-) Silene

edited December 1969

Hi Magaremoto.... I was referring to this image (the one at the bottom of this post)

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/43528/P255/#704434

He looks different from the one int the top of the page post and from the one on the Infinite Realities site which is the younger man with stubble, this guy looksto be a different model? Great job on this.

:) Silene

edited December 1969

SileneUK said:

Hi Magaremoto.... I was referring to this image (the one at the bottom of this post)

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/43528/P255/#704434

He looks different from the one int the top of the page post and from the one on the Infinite Realities site which is the younger man with stubble, this guy looksto be a different model? Great job on this.

:) Silene

Hi,
    thank you SileneUK, this is the link http://www.ten24.info/?page_id=445
    check the bottom of the page :-)

This discussion has been closed.