48th Bryce Render Challenge ( New Journey )

Comments

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,750

Spuddy, thanks. You ask a good question and I do not have the answer. I have been struggling with that question too. I do like the 'casual' style of just making a picture in a real-life situation without too much emphasis. Kind of a snap-shot. But that makes the render not 'pop-out', so may not win a lot of votes. I may redo the scene from a different vantage point to see what that does. 

Horo, Yellow Pen, Mermaid: thank you too. And, though I like to watch some series, films and quizes and play around with Bryce quite some hours too, I too like to read amazing stories, as the cabinets full of books in my house will testify.

• spuddyspuddy Posts: 449

Hansmar have you explored an over the shoulder view facing the window with the rest of the room in the background  placing the furniture will be critical and wouldn't be a quick fix more of a redo

• adbcadbc Posts: 3,076

Hansmar : very good idea, beautiful render, I like it.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,069
    edited August 2021

My second entry.
    Journey to the Microbes (viewed through a Scanning Electron Microscope).
    Used: Alien Artifacts Vol1 & Vol2 by MatCreator.

Bugs under SEM
    Info: Materials and Render Options according to Fluorescent Edge (by David Brinnen; link to Video and Memo on my website: 3D CG Documents > Memos > Lighting).

BugsUnderSEM.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 221K
    Post edited by Horo on

spuddy,​ Thanks for the suggestion. I did consider something like that. Have to play with it.

adbc, Thank you

Horo, very nice and original idea.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,956

Horo - I agree with Hansmar, awesome and original idea.

edited August 2021

Horo : I agree with the others, awesome and original render.

My first entry : a cat's adventure. The toon cat and mouse are from Sketchfab.

A cat's adventure.jpg
    800 x 456 - 43K
    Post edited by adbc on

Thank you Hansmar and mermaid.

adbc - thank you. Very nice idea and well done. The expression of the cat is so cute.

• Yellow PenYellow Pen Posts: 918

Horo: an interesting Interpretation... and a fantastic Picture.

Adbc: what a funny Scene, I Love the facial expression from the Cat.

Horo, Yellow Pen : thank you.

Thank you Yellow Pen.

Adbc - wow so cute and funny, I love it.

edited August 2021

My third entry.
    Journey to a Solar Eclipse
    Used: Terrain and materials from High Resolution Terrains 1, 3 & 4, clouds from the Sky Toolbox and HDRI from Object Clouds 2D & 3D. The Moon is a sphere with a photo I made 15 years ago, the elaborate observatory consists of a sphere and a cylinder.

Solar Eclipse

SolarEclipse.jpg
    1200 x 810 - 127K
    Post edited by Horo on

Horo - superb render, very well done.

Horo  two really lovely renders the microbes are really cool......and i love  the terrain and material in the eclips entry

adbc  very cute  i also  like the look on the cats face

Thank you mermaid and spuddy.

mermaid, spuddy : thank you.

Horo : excellent render, beautiful material on the terrain, very realistic water.

Thank you adbc.

• egehlinegehlin Posts: 29

Horo -- A splendid eclipse render. I'm impressed with the soft lighting effects. Just what you'd expect during an eclipse. The terrain and water materials are very good as well. Nicely done.

Thank you egehlin.

edited August 2021

adbc: Fantastic funny render!

Horo: beautifully rendered scene.

I made a new version of my 'Books, every time a new journey!' This time, I followed the suggestion by Spuddy for an over-the-shoulder look. I rearranged the elements, but also had to repose the lady, because from this side the old version of her showed horrible poke-through through her dress. I also added a few elements (instanced the chair and the plant and the lights), changed the texture of some elements, modified the sky and lights and rendered it with depth of view focused on the book. Not so sure about the last decision, so I may try it differently without DOF.

Any feedback?

most fantastic journey2.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 701K
    Post edited by Hansmar on

Hansmar - thank you. The reading scene looks better from this camera position. I suggest that you engage some soft shadows. The shadows are a bit sharp on the back of the seat and also on the book the lady is reading - it looks like the pages have a fold horizontally. The pot at the left foreground is nice but it aligns with the plant near the wall which I find unfortunate.

Hansmar  I agree a much more dynamic  composition I also agree with Horo about the pot .it needs removing (sometimes less is more ) and the sofa and table  moving to the left ..aso I would remove the left plant and move the table and chair  to the left ie table where the plant is now and chair where the table is now  leaving a clearer view out into the garden...

Hansmar - I still prefer the 1st version maybe you could try with some extra lights. With this version I even found  the lady's back..left shoulder and upper arm area doesn't not look right, too rigid if it's meant to mean flabbiness. I hope you understand what I mean.

Spuddy, Horo, Mermaid, thanks for your feedback. I tried a version without the DOF and I like that better. But I'll reconsider the positioning. The horizontal band on the book is caused by the way the light is positioned. That can easily be changed.

Hansmar : I agree with the others.

edited August 2021

Thanks adbc.

I reshuffled furniture and things outside (and added some), changed the POV and made this new version. I also added  a parrallel light at the ceiling to ensure a little more shadow from furniture and things on the floor. I think this will be the one for the contest.

most fantastic journey3a.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 1006K
    Post edited by Hansmar on

Great last composition i really like it

Hansmar : I agree with spuddy. I like it too.

Hansmar - ah yes, much better. Very nice entry.