Point along the line. Spostamento.

2»

Comments

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

How on earth did you do that - I can only get the gizmo, with a point selected to align like that if I rotate the shape so that the inclined edge is parallel to the ground, regardless of the view or whether selection or world is selected. It also doesn't make sense that it should align because a vert has no orientation.

What view are you in? The gizmo isn't perfectly aligned, although it appears to be in an orthographic view.

I can get the gizmo to align with the inclined edge by giving the shape thickness, using the face to set a custom working plane then deleting the back faces. Your pic seems to be in the default working plane.

• equinoxx5equinoxx5 Posts: 126
    edited December 1969

Roygee said:
    What view are you in? The gizmo isn't perfectly aligned, although it appears to be in an orthographic view.

You're right; I was in orthographic (Front View), and thought I'd stumbled across a solution.
  • m_m_italym_m_italy Posts: 386
    edited December 1969

Ho bisogno di qualche mese per tradurre....
    Per ora: GRAZIE

Traduzione libera:
    I need some months to translate.
    Please wait
    Now you just say THANKS

edited December 1969

m_m_italy said:
    To summarize my question was:
    [can you] slide a point along a line inclined?
    I think my answer is: no

In hexagon yes, the answer is "no". :-)

But in life there are far more serious problems

And here the answer is "yes". :)

But that doesn't keep geeks like me from trying to have fun with the lesser ones like this, and by using slope intercept, you can CALCULATE where the point should be moved to, and you'll end up with exactly what you wanted to do by sliding it there.

But instead of sliding it to where it should be, you just enter the calculated XY coordinates and it pops to where it should be.

This is no problem for a single point such as you have here, though admittedly it would be far too much trouble if you had to do it repeatedly.

If you want to try it yourself, the equation for the slope of a line ("m") is:
    m = (y1-y2) / (x1-x2)
    Where x1,y1 are the XY coordinates for P2 and x2,y2 are the XY coordinates for P3.

Once the slope is found, then you can find the Y-intercept ("b") with:
    -b=mx-y
    Where "x" and "y" are the XY coordinates of either P2 or P3. Note that "-b" is the negative value, so for "b" you need to flip the sign.

And finally you can find the Y coordinate for the point you want to move by using the slope intercept equation:
    y=mx+b
    Where "x" is the X coordinate of P1, and "b" is the Y-intercept from the last calculation

So finally, the coordinates you want to move the "sliding point" to are:
    xfinal,yfinal
    Where "xfinal" is the X coordinate of P1, and "yfinal" is the slope intercept from the last calculation.

So you would select the point you want to move, type in the xfinal and yfinal values from the last calculation, hit enter, and the point "pops" to exactly where you would have put it if you were able to "slide" it. - which is EXACTLY on the line between P2 and P3, and 90 degrees from P1.

For most people this stuff is boring and a real PITA, but for people like me it's more fun than a crossword puzzle.

Hell, for most people, just READING about this stuff is boring and a real PITA! :lol:

:-)

She is a genius.
    Thank you.
    But the discomfort remained intact......

Devo tradurre bene.
    Ciao

edited December 1969

equinoxx5 said:
    To summarize my question was:
    you can slide a point along a line inclined?
    I think my answer is: no.

Try this:

With the point selected, change the manipulation mode from "World" to "Selection," and the manipulator gizmo should re-align along the line in which the point resides (see attached image).

As Roygee said some days ago:

"How on earth did you do that?"

:ohh:

Devo tradurre meglio

edited December 1969

:long:

Linee: yes
    Punti: no

Bye

super_dilemma.JPG
    1673 x 977 - 124K
  • edited December 1969

m_m_italy said:
    She is a genius. Thank you

Heheh...I've been called a "genius" before (both seriously and sarcastically :) ) but I don't think I've ever been called a "she" before... :lol:

But you're welcome, and I enjoy trying to help!

Does this mean you tried following my (admittedly convoluted) instructions and it didn't work for you?

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838
    edited December 1969

equinoxx5 said:

Try this:

With the point selected, change the manipulation mode from "World" to "Selection," and the manipulator gizmo should re-align along the line in which the point resides (see attached image).

With this there's the chance that the local axes don't conform to the plane the line lies in andyou go shooting off into the depth though.
    edited August 2012

m_m_italy said:
    She is a genius. Thank you

Heheh...I've been called a "genius" before (both seriously and sarcastically :) ) but I don't think I've ever been called a "she" before... :lol:

But you're welcome, and I enjoy trying to help!

:-) (sorriso)

Does this mean you tried following my (admittedly convoluted) instructions and it didn't work for you?

No.
    I have not tried it yet because I do not see a tube (tubo) of English.
    I say again: it's nice to find this ability to move easily without going around the world.

Post edited by m_m_italy on
  • edited December 1969

I only had a minute to skim through this thread but will read through it later.
    I will show you how to move that point along that edge very easy.
    But have to head to work now,

edited December 1969

Thanks!
    Good job.....

• edited December 1969

I will post a video tomorrow.
    All of the solutions posted by others in this thread are very good ones.
    I will give you another option in the video.

edited December 1969

I will post a video tomorrow.
    All of the solutions posted by others in this thread are very good ones.
    I will give you another option in the video.

O.K.
    Grazie

• edited December 1969

Video has been posted.
    I hope this helps
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzGZOldRPZg

edited December 1969

Video has been posted.
    I hope this helps
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzGZOldRPZg

GRAZIEEEEEEEEEEE!