Bye

Comments

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

I've came to Daz looking for fresh version of Bryce which I had been using for several years.

Rolling_hills01.jpg
    800 x 447 - 424K
    shoreline.jpg
    800 x 447 - 290K
    Milkyway01.jpg
    800 x 447 - 325K
    Fineland.jpg
    800 x 447 - 389K
    Starburst_effect.jpg
    800 x 800 - 519K
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

i started with corel 3 clipart vector graphics, then bryce 3 metacrations.  poser3   i've admired renderman since final fantasy viii.  if i had mas dineros i'd vamos 3dsmax.  

mucho trabajo petito dinero

Mystiara said:

i started with corel 3 clipart vector graphics, then bryce 3 metacrations.  poser3   i've admired renderman since final fantasy viii.  if i had mas dineros i'd vamos 3dsmax.  

I'd been using 3ds max for several years before I found blender. I never wanted to come back to it.
    I never used Poser, I even didn't know what is it.
    I've been Coreldraw user for eternity and am still selling original vector cliparts on microstocks.

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,693
    edited July 2021

I would envy the mixed group, and join the artists if forced between the two extremes, as my disposition tends toward technician.

What an era to live, where technology robs us of our excuses and enables our wildest dreams in the very same clock cycle.

best,

--ms

Post edited by mindsong on

Vyusur said:

Mystiara said:

I'd been using 3ds max for several years before I found blender. I never wanted to come back to it.
    I've been Coreldraw user for eternity and am still selling original vector cliparts on microstocks.

i was running corel draw on a 386sx with 4mb ram  lol.  come a long way. 

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,757

I was using PSP on 128k RAM .... surprise

Mystiara said:

Vyusur said:

Mystiara said:

i was running corel draw on a 386sx with 4mb ram  lol.  come a long way. 

I don't remember what was the machine with Coreldraw. It wasn't mine, it belonged to the designer agency I worked for. I got my copy of Coreldraw after participating in their (Corel) contest.

Stezza said:

Last time I used Photoshop was in the editorial office of glossy magazine I worked for. After leaving them I used Gimp.

i want to try affinity next.

i have ps elements, but adobe so intrusive, want to get away from it.

i'm still learning new stuff in carrara.  still havent figured out how the sphere to dust was made.  tried all kinds of dissolves, bullet physics smashes, forces, particle emitters.

have yet to try the polyline follower for a match cars animation.  then the motion paths.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,103

Vyusur said:

Stezza said:

Last time I used Photoshop was in the editorial office of glossy magazine I worked for. After leaving them I used Gimp.

Yeah, Gimp Rocks!

I think Stezza meant PSP = Corel's PaintShopPro, but I could be mistaken.

Mystiara said:

i want to try affinity next.

i have ps elements, but adobe so intrusive, want to get away from it.

My pal, Gars Man, bought me a copy of Affinity Photo for $50 a few years ago and I absolutley love it as a Photoshop complete replacement.

Since then there have been a few Major updates and they still haven't asked for any more tribute. They also have James Ritson making very, Very good tutorials on how to do pretty much anything with it.

Vyusur said:

Mystiara said:

Why does this Not surprise me?!!! ;)

Vyusur, you are such a talented artist!!!

I really liked 3ds max 5, but when I got Carrara, I enjoyed Carrara more. I was still very new with 3ds, so I still would have had a Lot to learn before making too critical a decision on which I thought was actually better... but Carrara fit almost exactly for what I was (and still am) looking ot do. I'm extra grateful that we found each other!

I was mostly only using a UV Unwrap plugin in Max to texture models for a really fun to work with team. My mentor in Max began me on my training, but also steered me toward Poser, which eventually led me to finding my beloved Carrara!!!

Those Bryce images are stunning! I see many great pieces of art coming from Bryce - and it looks like it would be a lot of fun to use.

I printed out the full manual and bound the book, as I've done with D|S 3.something and Carrara as well. I would peruse these manuals before Rosie helped me get Carrara. All of them are great apps.

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738

Dartanbeck said:

akmerlow said:

As newbie Brycer, i adore people who remain loyal to their favorite oldschool software, and feel sad when they decide to leave them for modern tools.

But i can understand if it's not a hobby, but for professional use - in that case workflow often needs to be "cutting edge".

Very well said!

Newbie to Bryce, eh? I've owned Bryce for years now and am still not a newbie. I keep telling myself that: "One day, I'm going to install and play with Bryce", but I keep getting too busy with what I'm doing in Carrara.

Very recently, I began to expand into Daz Studio. 

I've been using Daz Studio for many things already, like using the Content Creation Tools and aniMate 2, but never really used it for rendering.

I took a bunch of time to get to know DS better, and was still pushing forward with my Carrara work at the same time - getting some of it done in Daz Studio, once I got far enough along.

Learning OctaneRender for Daz Studio (Free) was probably the biggest game changer.

I did this one entirely in Iray, which was not easy. It kept crashing and crashing, and then it crashed some more. I wanted to do it in Octane, but DS's Strand-Based Hair (on the beast) doesn't render in Octane. In fact, it only shows in Iray in a final render - not preview.

Wow Dart, that's seriously impressive!  Absolutely beautiful render, deserves a call out.  I realize it's Iray, but the posing, the expressions, the way the wet hair is draped across the face, the fur, the vibrant colors of the sky, the framing, depth of field effect, the wet shirt... very well done! 

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969

Dart, you have really gotten the monster's fur to pop and I love the water reflections and the wet wet wet look, too!

I used to use PSP before I got Adobe Creative Suite (standalone for work in the early 2000s).  Still have it on an old W7 machine as a standby. PS once learnt is much easier. I have not been able to get a handle on GIMP. Might have to if my PS6 ever stops running with W10 because of updates.  I did recently buy Affinity (good price)  as I would like to try stitching my own HDRI stuff once my eyes let me get out to take some photos. Can't drive right now...eyes. They are also stopping me from trying out new stuff....grrrr.

Misty, if you get Affinity and use it... let us know how you like it.

yes Silene

Thanks, you two!

SileneUK said:

yes Silene

I have to say... Affinity Photo is an excellent replacement for the subscription version of Photoshop.

One time payment of $50 several years ago and I haven't paid more since. Several full-feature upgrades since - free.

It looks, feels and behaves a lot like PS, but with some key differences - and I like them. 

Here, the wonderful James Ritson takes us on an overview of the interface

<in Beatles tune>

I don't know Why you say Goodbye - I say Hello!!! wink

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969

Dartanbeck said:

SileneUK said:

yes Silene

I have to say... Affinity Photo is an excellent replacement for the subscription version of Photoshop.

One time payment of $50 several years ago and I haven't paid more since. Several full-feature upgrades since - free.

It looks, feels and behaves a lot like PS, but with some key differences - and I like them. 

I will have a look at the vid, Dart, thanks! I only paid $24.99 in June this year on offer. Woo hoo!  heart  Silene

Dartanbeck said:

Vyusur said:

Mystiara said:

Why does this Not surprise me?!!! ;)

Vyusur, you are such a talented artist!!!

I really liked 3ds max 5, but when I got Carrara, I enjoyed Carrara more. I was still very new with 3ds, so I still would have had a Lot to learn before making too critical a decision on which I thought was actually better... but Carrara fit almost exactly for what I was (and still am) looking ot do. I'm extra grateful that we found each other!

I was mostly only using a UV Unwrap plugin in Max to texture models for a really fun to work with team. My mentor in Max began me on my training, but also steered me toward Poser, which eventually led me to finding my beloved Carrara!!!

Those Bryce images are stunning! I see many great pieces of art coming from Bryce - and it looks like it would be a lot of fun to use.

I printed out the full manual and bound the book, as I've done with D|S 3.something and Carrara as well. I would peruse these manuals before Rosie helped me get Carrara. All of them are great apps.

Thank you so much for your kind words!

I also like Carrara better than 3ds max, despite of all those tinky-rinky with lighting.

• createocreateo Posts: 15

Hello to all Carrara enthusiasts,

Seeing your accomplishments and reading your feedback makes me (again) consider my decision to "give up" Carrara too hasty. Indeed,
    it remains a very well-made and pleasant tool to use.

Its rendering engine remains brilliant in its final results but the rendering times are unsuitable for normal professional use! My computer would have 50 or 100 cores, renderings would be as fast as current renderers, and I could still use Carrara without asking any questions!

I realize that I still have a feeling of betrayal from Daz who bought a tool so well developed not to use it as a distribution springboard for its main product which is Daz Studio

I find it very difficult to accept this state of affairs. Carrara does not deserve this fate! The splines were already very developed and announced the nurbs (Rhino 3D, me 3D) and the patches (cf animation Master: hash.com) I always dream of a (new) Carrara Z who would not question its design philosophy because it is excellent, and who would update its technology compared to the competition.
    Curves and polyline just deserve an update to become parametric and redefine their resolution at will. There would be so many "little" things to reconsider, but ultimately nothing that calls into question the main functions. When I notice that some features are just appearing on Blender 3D even though they have been around for more than 10 years on Carrara !! Why not keep this lead ??

luckily, I see that there are still enthusiasts who do not "let go"! It comforts me. Biggest thing I miss is the ability to pilot bones, and having bones pilot poses in% (percentage)
    There is the Fenric ERC plug-in, but I have a hard time understanding it with the English documentation and too few concrete examples. Are there any examples outside of the ones at ShareCG ??

Are creators interested in a group research (forum) on this area?

Although despaired by this voluntary and irreversible sinking of Carrara by the will of DAZ, I do not wish to let go of this brilliant and unique software which has achieved the feat of bringing together more passionate creators!

Finally, I do not let go! Carrara remains in my workflow.

createo

I just hope this isn't a last burst of hope. Bravo for your many works.
    Some are visually impressive !

See you soon dear Carrara Community !

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738

createo said:

Hello to all Carrara enthusiasts,

Seeing your accomplishments and reading your feedback makes me (again) consider my decision to "give up" Carrara too hasty. Indeed,
    it remains a very well-made and pleasant tool to use.

Its rendering engine remains brilliant in its final results but the rendering times are unsuitable for normal professional use! My computer would have 50 or 100 cores, renderings would be as fast as current renderers, and I could still use Carrara without asking any questions!

I realize that I still have a feeling of betrayal from Daz who bought a tool so well developed not to use it as a distribution springboard for its main product which is Daz Studio

I find it very difficult to accept this state of affairs. Carrara does not deserve this fate! The splines were already very developed and announced the nurbs (Rhino 3D, me 3D) and the patches (cf animation Master: hash.com) I always dream of a (new) Carrara Z who would not question its design philosophy because it is excellent, and who would update its technology compared to the competition.
    Curves and polyline just deserve an update to become parametric and redefine their resolution at will. There would be so many "little" things to reconsider, but ultimately nothing that calls into question the main functions. When I notice that some features are just appearing on Blender 3D even though they have been around for more than 10 years on Carrara !! Why not keep this lead ??

luckily, I see that there are still enthusiasts who do not "let go"! It comforts me. Biggest thing I miss is the ability to pilot bones, and having bones pilot poses in% (percentage)
    There is the Fenric ERC plug-in, but I have a hard time understanding it with the English documentation and too few concrete examples. Are there any examples outside of the ones at ShareCG ??

Are creators interested in a group research (forum) on this area?

Although despaired by this voluntary and irreversible sinking of Carrara by the will of DAZ, I do not wish to let go of this brilliant and unique software which has achieved the feat of bringing together more passionate creators!

Finally, I do not let go! Carrara remains in my workflow.

createo

I just hope this isn't a last burst of hope. Bravo for your many works.
    Some are visually impressive !

See you soon dear Carrara Community !

Well said, createo!  :)

By the way, regarding your idea for group research, I'm always interested in learning more about how to use Carrara (so many years later, and I'm still learning new features every time I sit down at the computer.)

I'm not certain I understand what you meant by 'piloting bones' or having bones drive a pose in percentages, might need to have an example to better understand.  That said, I do own Fenric's ERC, though I've never used it yet I always planned to, and wanted to learn how to use it and how, so count me in as interested and willing to do a bit of testing.  :)

Fenric's ERC (Enhanced Remote Control) is a bone pilot modifier suite - and is also much more.

I think a community outreach on this plugin alone would really turn out some great things - namely (but not limited to):

• Presets for specific figures/models (pperhaps?)
    • A greater understanding of the functions documented in easy-to-read Tutorial format
    • Video Tutorials
    • Video demonstrations

I have a feeling that that last one, Video Demonstrations, could quite possibly draw some much needed attention toward Carrara and its animation power!

edited July 2021

It's really cool to see you consider staying with us, Createo!

I certainly don't want to twist your arm away from dipping into more developed tools - that's for sure. I just get carried away when we talk about the magic of this ageing beauty of a software package!

I'd really Love to see those additions and enhancements to Carrara!!! Perhaps also procedural modeling functions as well?

For me, however, if I could possibly afford to switch to anything even close to having the power of Carrara (besides Blender, which is free), I'd instead invest in OctaneRender for Carrara. If I could afford that, I'd have it right now. Who knows... maybe in time my site will take off and give me that added leverage? 

LOL!!! Keep dreaming Dart!!! :D

Well... I'm not going to let that stop me! I'll just keep on keeping on, as they say! :)

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • namtar3dnamtar3d Posts: 237

Hi there! I understand what you mean Createo, a very long time i've waited for Carrara 9 with updates like full Genesis 3 and 8 integration, UDIM UVs, procedural tools, etc.  

Yet, the day i give up on Carrara is far away, it's still a pretty powerful tool that gives me many tools to make things in other software are harder to do, (Yes, even in Zbrush, sometimes i get stuck, and then comes Carrara and saves the day!). 

Fluidos, Octane Render plugin and GoZ plugin really makes you feel Carrara is not old at all, i truly recommend to try them. 

Greetings!  

• mschackmschack Posts: 337

Man Carrara is so deep, just today I found a thing in 3d paint where you can actually paint a shader onto a model.  Maybe I will RTFM one day.

I also love how, in Carrara we can actually set up animation renders that we can save and use as animated textures.

Using Multipass render options, we can also animate various masks, bump, normal and specular highlight maps and loop them with a sawtooth oscillator... just incredible CG power can be added into a single, dramatic animated render.

Fluidos and other exceptional plugins, as well as the built-in particles and primitive effects can be very useful in these sorts of things as well as simply rendering out special VFX maps to be blended into many scenes using VFX software... I'm just constatly finding new ways to use Carrara outside-the-box to assist in CG Filmmaker techniques - and I love it!!!

..and then that's where I find PD Howler to be an essential asset to my Carrara animation work - it seems to cater beautifully to the workflow of using multipass, animation masks and effects, and just plain creating or editing image sequence textures and images.

I was once asked why I talk about Howler as part of Carrara. That might not be the easiest question to answer in a tangible paragraph, but for purposes mentioned in the above post, PD Howler has been the perfect set of animated image tools for me to generate or tweak existing image sequences to fit the needs of what I'm animating in Carrara. I'll often have both open at the same time working back and forth between them. 

PD Howler is also my Rotoscope tool for Carrara - making custom animated masks.

Unlike Carrara, however, Howler is developed further each and every day.

Dan Ritchie, if you're reading this... Thanks Again, my friend!!!

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,711

and it does UDIM mapping as separate surfaces with maps simultaneously 

most 3D painting apps still cannot do that!

• DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,234

When watching those, we see all manner of imperfections in the hair, but when we see it flicker, that's actually a simple fix that I didn't exacty know about when I made those videos. It's actually one or more of the layers of dynamic hair failing to render for a single frame - making it flicker.

Simply render that frame again and it always seems to render all layers properly, fixing the broken animation. Fast, simple, completely excusable in my eyes.

I would absolutely love to see more tutorials from you!

Holy...WOW

I have ZERO experience with animated hair.
    Super cool! yes