off topic thread

Comments

• Dartanbeck said:

ringo monfort said:

`i have wonderful memories of the original DAZ3D founders like Dan Farr, Chistopher Howard Creek, Steve Kondris, Chad Smith. they loved the entire community. They visited the forums all the time. The current leadership doesn't do personal communications with the forum members. The are too busy with TAFI. They sure don't get to have customer loyalty this way.

I miss them too, as well as our old boss, Kevin! Is Spooky (Bruce) even still around?

I sure do miss Kevin and Bruce. i have Kevin as a friend in Facebook and Linkedin. I have a connection with Bruce at Linkedin. He is doing very well in a none 3D industry. The Currect CEO of not DAZ3D but TAFI as now TAFI is the main parent company.  He is at Linkedin. Do a search in Linkedin for DAZ3D and you will find that currenlty have about 100 employees,  TAFI was know before as MORPH 3D.. You know the company that was  to distribute the DAZ3D assets to the game development industry.. It morphed into TAFI and now the do Avatars. Dont be surprise if DAZ3D is rebranded as TAFI just to survive.

Ringo

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969

Fess Parker. RIP you kind soul (died in 2010). He had a Santa Barbara home near to some people we became friends with that had moved to NH in the early 1990s. Fess also had vineyards, etc.  They actually knew a lot of famous people, including Dean Martin (died 1995) from living in SB so long. Anyways, a family friend of me and my folks, and who helped my dad build his house, got cancer and it ripped through him so fast he died within 3 weeks. Before we knew his death was so imminent, we had arranged with our friends leaving for a quick SB visit to get Fess to sign a photo for our friend who was a HUGE fan as a kid (had all the kit, costume, cap etc) thinking it would bring a smile and fond memories.  Fess went beyond that and wrote a wonderful message on a B/W photo from his DC years, plus he inlcuded some other fan stuff, including a badge.  By the time they returned from SB, Dick was fading quickly at home. Husband and I visited him and were shocked, but gave him the framed Fess photo from the SB people (who he had met and knew they were his friends) and he was so happy, like, little-kid happy.  It was the last time we saw him as he passed the next week. Sadly I just read in my old home town paper that Dick's son just died from the same cancer recently at almost the same age.

Oh I loved DC and DB too!  And all the 50-60s TV westerns, Cheyenne, Bonanza, The Virginian, Lone Ranger,  Maverick, Wild Wild West, etc.  Some of the early Clint Eastwood films, too. The other evening it was so hot and with nothing on the tube,  I watched Dances With Wolves. Bring back the Western!!!

heart  Silene

ringo monfort said:

I sure do miss Kevin and Bruce. i have Kevin as a friend in Facebook and Linkedin. I have a connection with Bruce at Linkedin. He is doing very well in a none 3D industry. The Currect CEO of not DAZ3D but TAFI as now TAFI is the main parent company.  He is at Linkedin. Do a search in Linkedin for DAZ3D and you will find that currenlty have about 100 employees,  TAFI was know before as MORPH 3D.. You know the company that was  to distribute the DAZ3D assets to the game development industry.. It morphed into TAFI and now the do Avatars. Dont be surprise if DAZ3D is rebranded as TAFI just to survive.

Ringo

Wow that's interesting... info and commentary!  surprise Silene

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,757

The other day on YouTube I watched the first episode of Rin Tin Tin ... in colour! 

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,179

SileneUK said:

Bring back the Western!!!

heart  Silene

A few more:  "Have Gun, Will Travel" 8.4 @ IMDB, with Richard Boone as the sophisticated 1870's San Francisco gun for hire (but not an assasin).  "DeadWood" 8.6 @ IMDB, with Ian McShane ruling over an 1870s South Dakota lawless mining camp (yes, LOTS of bad language, but the writer says that's how they talked).  And on a whole different level, "The Barbary Coast" 7.1 @ IMDB, with William Shatner as a disguise crazy federal agent in post gold rush San Francisco.

yes

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,712

we are in lockdown for at least a week

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

WendyLuvsCatz said:

wuh oh.  did the new strain happen there?

new york bigwings declared the covid emergency over, but they not letting us take the masks off.  so is hard tro believe them. 

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Oh, that sucks.  Hope you have all the supplies you need.  The people around me are not being cautious enough, and the overall vaccination rate here is among the lowest in the country, so I would not be surprised if we have to have another lockdown around here.  

edited July 2021

Diomede said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Oh, that sucks.  Hope you have all the supplies you need.  The people around me are not being cautious enough, and the overall vaccination rate here is among the lowest in the country, so I would not be surprised if we have to have another lockdown around here.  

well the supermarket shelves are devoid of toilet paper again (and you can go there for essentials as long as social distancing practiced)

I have no fridge so I bet the canned and dried food will be decimated too.

All the meats were sold too, I have apples, pears and mandarins  

might be able to buy brussel sprouts, parsnips etc wink fortunately I eat everything.

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

the toilet paper!

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921

WendyLuvsCatz said:

like spazz

we associate it with spasm IE spazzing, throwing a fit but in the UK it is associated with Spastic a word for cerebral palsy.

A cheese was recenrtly renamed Cheer because the word mentioned  for raccoon was used derogatively for First Nations People by some here.

oh dear , at least I dont have to be worried about falling into a 'man'hole any more :)

the man hole was the name of a men's clothing store in the downtown greenwich village area.  word association is funny sometimes.  those inkblot images always looked like moths and butterflies to me, mothra

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Diomede said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

well the supermarket shelves are devoid of toilet paper again (and you can go there for essentials as long as social distancing practiced)

I have no fridge so I bet the canned and dried food will be decimated too.

All the meats were sold too, I have apples, pears and mandarins  

might be able to buy brussel sprouts, parsnips etc wink fortunately I eat everything.

So... the crooks that cleared out the TP last time. What on earth did they do with it all? Stockpilers were left holding the goods as shelves got replenished.  I live in a flat, so can't stockpile anything. 

No fridge?  How to you keep things from going off?  Can you shop locally regularly?  I can walk to all our shops, so I get what I can get or order online.  Deliveroo has started delivering grocery items from your local which is helpful, especially right now as it's very hot for us older Brits.  

surprise  Silene

is winter so stuff keeps OK, I do have a small freezer but I cannot run it much as it never cuts out and gives me bills bigger than the price of a fridge which is what happened to the money I saved up for one last quarter.surprise

I am trying again for 3 months not using the freezer!

The 45°C heatwave last summer was when my fridge carked it and I lost lots of food too, was unimpressed.

I live alone so don't need much and do need to walk each day,

Doctors orders. yes

so buying a pork chop, a tomato, a small cucumber for example not hard, the annoying thing is so many supermarkets don't have butchers, only prepackaged meat and bulk!

I did buy 2 lamb chops yesterday in a packet for my dinner.

was plenty of meat at Foodland and they have butchers.

I also can only carry a small package of toilet rolls.

This only becomes an issue when people start hoarding as I walk and shop daily (no car) and they clean everything out.

WendyLuvsCatz said:

good that vic acted so fast , nsw has a lot to learn. When i ask my mum whether she has enough tp, she cant understand what all the fuss is about. They never had it when they were kids, i guess they used newspaper pics of Sir Robert Menzies instead...

Mystiara said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

new york bigwings declared the covid emergency over, but they not letting us take the masks off.  so is hard tro believe them. 

Yes delta came knocking. We cant believe most of what our government says either.

Mystiara said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Yes delta came knocking. We cant believe most of what our government says either.

Ugh worthwhile saying twice sorry about the diplopia post .

anyone else going to be kind enough to vote in the current challenge? Might solve a tie for me. Ive asked in the commons and also with the kind bryce users.

How many votes do I need?  Scratch that.  I mean, how many votes do you need?  wink

I've already voted, but...

History lesson learned by a great Texan and a former US president, Lyndon Johnson.

After the 1948 Democratic primary for Texas's Senate seat was closed and his opponent announced the winner by less than 300 votes, Johnson was pleased to learn that the city of Alice, Texas 'discovered' an unreported ballot box that had just over 300 votes, all for Johnson, and then chaos reigned until Johnson was declared the winner.  Johnson was Senate majority leader within a decade and then vice president and president shortly after that.

"The origins of the [1948 Senate primary] Box 13 scandal lie in a painful lesson Johnson learned in the 1941 Senate primary, which was stolen from him by Governor W. Lee “Pappy” O’Daniel. One day after the election, Johnson was proclaimed the unofficial winner; campaign workers hoisted the jubilant candidate onto their shoulders, and John Connally—then Johnson’s campaign manager—sent a telegram that read “Unless miracle happens . . . looks like we’re in.” But an overconfident Johnson made a crucial mistake: He had instructed his key districts to report back their results promptly on primary day, but that alerted O’Daniel’s men to precisely how many votes they needed to “discover” in unreported districts to guarantee a win. Indeed, three days after the election, O’Daniel was declared the victor by 1,311 votes. It was the only electoral defeat Johnson ever suffered, and he would call the following few years the “most miserable period” of his life."

Fun historical article referencing the phrase, "go ask Alice" which is also a lyric in a Jefferson Airplane song, but is unrelated.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/news-politics/go-ask-alice/

I am in the outer suburbs of Adelaide.

Missed the Argentenian traveller with the delta strain at my local mall by just over an hour!

otherwise I would be in 14 days quarantine too!

Diomede said:

How many votes do I need?  Scratch that.  I mean, how many votes do you need?  wink

I've already voted, but...

History lesson learned by a great Texan and a former US president, Lyndon Johnson.

After the 1948 Democratic primary for Texas's Senate seat was closed and his opponent announced the winner by less than 300 votes, Johnson was pleased to learn that the city of Alice, Texas 'discovered' an unreported ballot box that had just over 300 votes, all for Johnson, and then chaos reigned until Johnson was declared the winner.  Johnson was Senate majority leader within a decade and then vice president and president shortly after that.

"The origins of the [1948 Senate primary] Box 13 scandal lie in a painful lesson Johnson learned in the 1941 Senate primary, which was stolen from him by Governor W. Lee “Pappy” O’Daniel. One day after the election, Johnson was proclaimed the unofficial winner; campaign workers hoisted the jubilant candidate onto their shoulders, and John Connally—then Johnson’s campaign manager—sent a telegram that read “Unless miracle happens . . . looks like we’re in.” But an overconfident Johnson made a crucial mistake: He had instructed his key districts to report back their results promptly on primary day, but that alerted O’Daniel’s men to precisely how many votes they needed to “discover” in unreported districts to guarantee a win. Indeed, three days after the election, O’Daniel was declared the victor by 1,311 votes. It was the only electoral defeat Johnson ever suffered, and he would call the following few years the “most miserable period” of his life."

Fun historical article referencing the phrase, "go ask Alice" which is also a lyric in a Jefferson Airplane song, but is unrelated.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/news-politics/go-ask-alice/

ha ha yes, you need as many votes as you like - there was a slight tie and now there is still a slight tie

I havnt voted yet though ha haha :)

Wendy, thought you were in Melbourne because of you strange accent :) So you are in Adelaide - now I know why you have so much wit, intelligence and charm!

Hugs from Newie

Epic are acquiring more and more surprise

too bad a high blood alcohol level dont kill the virus.  would justify a fine scotch.

Mystiara said:

too bad a high blood alcohol level dont kill the virus.  would justify a fine scotch.

:)

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Epic are acquiring more and more surprise

hmm is that  a good thing?

Headwax said:

Mystiara said:

:)

Brits drink so much beer and other alcoholic bevvies that if it were true, we'd be a Covid-free nation!  enlighteneddevil  Silene

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,757

during the soccer world cup in Russia, the Aussie supporters who went, in one night drank the town ( where the socceroos were based ) dry of beer... !!  surprise

Stezza said:

during the soccer world cup in Russia, the Aussie supporters who went, in one night drank the town ( where the socceroos were based ) dry of beer... !!  surprise

had a feelin deep down, i shoulda been born australian.  next life mebbe, if the upper management asks my opinion 

edited August 2021

Aargh.  Just can't keep everything working.  Although I am very happy with my desktop PC, which is still relatively new at 2 years old (yay! lots of render buckets), my laptop is dying. First indication was problems with my mouse.  Occasional hiccups.  Recently, it got worse and it no longer recognizes my mouse at all and I have to use the touchpad.  Turns out the problem was not the mouse, and it was not a driver.  The problem is the USB stuff on the motherboard.  Won't recognize anything through any of the USB ports, including my external drive.  Argh for backups.  So major issues when I travel now.  Argh.  Argh.  Argh.

Edit: and I am supposed to travel later this month.  Argh, argh, argh.

Post edited by Diomede on

Out of interest anyone been the victims of a scam involved with the creators of  Runescape owners on their Credit Card.?

Comes out as jagex.com Cambridge

Checked mine credit card today and had two amounts removed over the last two days - circa $80 each transaction.

I don't play computer games -  I'm not subscribe to Runescape. No one in my household is.

I've written to them and they are yet to reply.

In the meantime I'm looking for common denominators as to how they got my credit card details.

Hence the post here - if you get my meaning. Not accusing any companies of anything untoward.

This discussion has been closed.