off topic thread

Comments

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924

Diomede said:

Aargh.  Just can't keep everything working.  Although I am very happy with my desktop PC, which is still relatively new at 2 years old (yay! lots of render buckets), my laptop is dying. First indication was problems with my mouse.  Occasional hiccups.  Recently, it got worse and it no longer recognizes my mouse at all and I have to use the touchpad.  Turns out the problem was not the mouse, and it was not a driver.  The problem is the USB stuff on the motherboard.  Won't recognize anything through any of the USB ports, including my external drive.  Argh for backups.  So major issues when I travel now.  Argh.  Argh.  Argh.

Edit: and I am supposed to travel later this month.  Argh, argh, argh.

Arrgh I hate usb ports

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,801

Headwax said:

Out of interest anyone been the victims of a scam involved with the creators of  Runescape owners on their Credit Card.?

Comes out as jagex.com Cambridge

Checked mine credit card today and had two amounts removed over the last two days - circa $80 each transaction.

I don't play computer games -  I'm not subscribe to Runescape. No one in my household is.

I've written to them and they are yet to reply.

In the meantime I'm looking for common denominators as to how they got my credit card details.

Hence the post here - if you get my meaning. Not accusing any companies of anything untoward.

doesn't sound good... what have you bought online in the past month or so.. maybe there are some hints with those transactions, especially if your card details are stored in a store somewhere.. surprise 

Yes, its a worry. I buy plenty of stuff on line. Only places card details are stored is amazon daz and coles . But thats the ones i know of. Last trouble i had was over a grand and didnt find out about it till i did my tax 9 months later. The bank wanted 75 dollars an hour to look into it. Time before that was opera garnier in paris charged me 200 twice for seats. That took 6 months and the opera didnt deign to answer my emails. Must be some rich scammers out there

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,695

Had my card nearly cleaned out once including one item for over $1700, fortunately the bank/card company refunded the amount....

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,817
    edited August 2021

Diomede said:

Aargh.  Just can't keep everything working.  Although I am very happy with my desktop PC, which is still relatively new at 2 years old (yay! lots of render buckets), my laptop is dying. First indication was problems with my mouse.  Occasional hiccups.  Recently, it got worse and it no longer recognizes my mouse at all and I have to use the touchpad.  Turns out the problem was not the mouse, and it was not a driver.  The problem is the USB stuff on the motherboard.  Won't recognize anything through any of the USB ports, including my external drive.  Argh for backups.  So major issues when I travel now.  Argh.  Argh.  Argh.

too many dongles makes them loose

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

Bunyip02 said:

Had my card nearly cleaned out once including one item for over $1700, fortunately the bank/card company refunded the amount....

i love it when they cancel your card and dont tell you...

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

i freak out when chrome wants to save my card info.  and apple nags me to log in  they want an imbelical cord into my pocket.

• 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,017
    edited August 2021
    Reddit has some info about Runescape and jagex from a few years ago here. I would cancel all my cards and get new ones with new numbers. https://www.reddit.com/r/2007scape/comments/9nmyy2/jagex_fraud/ /Edit, also do not store your cc numbers online on any store that you can avoid, uncheck the store cc number when shopping.
    Post edited by 3drendero on
  • 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,017
    edited August 2021
    Diomede said:

USB hardware problem on all ports is not common, have you tried all of these reset tricks: https://windowsreport.com/usb-not-working-windows-10/ /Edit, check if there is a new BIOS too, was not listed above.
    Post edited by 3drendero on

sometimes after adding modifier is very difficult to select it to delete it.  trying to play with the ik booties.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,224

HW - sounds like a case of Identity Theft. Argh!

Diomede - Oh dear. That sounds bad! I just reinstalled Win 10 on this lowly craptop and it works Much better than it did before. I used my full Win 10 installer, which doesn't have any spam. Turns out the laptop didn't need any of the extra hooplah that came with it. I never know what they need and what they don't - but Win 10 sure does!

I hope you both get your woes resolved quickly and as painlessly as possible!

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,079
    edited August 2021

Thank you, @3drendero, for the tip and the link.  Will definitely be checking that list out.  I've had no luck with my own online searches or a local computer repair place (just diagnostic phone call, haven't dropped it off to them).

@HeadWax, sending positive Karmic vibes your way.  The online scams are such a nightmare.  Hope you get it sorted out.

OK, who remembers the song?  And, no, they would not let me drive the wiener mobile.

wiener mobile.jpg
    1143 x 855 - 223K
    Post edited by Diomede on

Thanks for all tge tips and good vibes! Card is cancelled now. Runescape fixed a refund immediately! Very apologetic they were.

Wont ask what a wiener vehicle is Ted! 

Diomede said:

Thank you, @3drendero, for the tip and the link.  Will definitely be checking that list out.  I've had no luck with my own online searches or a local computer repair place (just diagnostic phone call, haven't dropped it off to them).

@HeadWax, sending positive Karmic vibes your way.  The online scams are such a nightmare.  Hope you get it sorted out.

OK, who remembers the song?  And, no, they would not let me drive the wiener mobile.

I could only think of 'Big Yellow Taxi'

but I'm guessing that's not it. frown 

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969
    edited August 2021

Diomede: Oscar Mayer UK makes everything BUT weiners!  They do ready-meals, like lasagnes, etc. for grocery stores. That was a surprise to learn. 

To get a US style hotdog, I have to buy Herta (German brand). Or a Bavarian one.

https://www.oscarmayer.co.uk/#what-we-do

HeadWax/Andy... glad you got THAT sorted. Sounded scary!  It's why I use PP for everything... I can see all transactions and easier to follow that what is on a CC statement where the merchant name/number is often abbreviated.  I also do not store any PP or CC info on my computers. And never use my phone to purchase anything. 99% of my stuff is Amazon or my Grocery delivery. Deliveroo is my only worry... LOL, but mostly for my waist-line.

surprise  Silene

Post edited by SileneUK on

any idea for how to get fenric's pose helper to work on g8?  particularly the swap leg/arms pose

hot out. omg. hot hot hott

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,191

Mystiara said:

hot out. omg. hot hot hott

Here in Houston we're pretty much used to it, due to wide spread air conditioning.  But summer visitors are always stunned by the heat and especially the humidity in our subtropical climate ... its a coastal city which many don't realize.  Years ago they had a birthday bash for the elder President Bush at the baseball stadium (then Enron, now Minute Maid).  Outdoors, roof open, August.  Comedian Dennis Miller was the emcee, saying as he dripped sweat, "I'm thinking about going back to my old job as an Amazon tour guide".  

105 foxtrots today. showered twice today so far.  pina colladas woulda been good today.  lol

hoard the TP

my witcher 3 food inventory is making me hungry lol.  potato wedges, blueberries, dumplings, dried fruit.  eveluce.  temerian rye.

Mystiara said:

any idea for how to get fenric's pose helper to work on g8?  particularly the swap leg/arms pose

It doesn't work, I guess. Fenric says that it doesn't work on Genesis, but it does. Genesis 3 and 8 have entirely different hierarchies though.

Yep. Genesis 1 Rocks!!! :)

Diomede said:

Rosie sings the song every once in a while - and I join in. That wiener mobile comes to my town once in every blue moon or so! I wanna drive it So Bad!!!

SileneUK said:

Diomede: Oscar Mayer UK makes everything BUT weiners!  They do ready-meals, like lasagnes, etc. for grocery stores. That was a surprise to learn. 

To get a US style hotdog, I have to buy Herta (German brand). Or a Bavarian one.

https://www.oscarmayer.co.uk/#what-we-do

Oh, you poor thing!

First, no Genteal. Now no hotdogs?!!! Argh!!!!

Where I live, we have a place that makes (famously) some of the world's finest dogs - Salmon's. But there are a Lot of really good hotdog makers here. I loves 'em!!! smiley

Salmon's:

http://salmons.wpengine.com/

My favorite are Cher-Make's Natural Casing Hot Dogs!

https://www.cher-make.com/products/category/id/1/

and Old Wisconsin's 

https://www.oldwisconsin.com/

Oh Yum!!! I'm gonna go make a couple Hot Dogs right now! ;)

When I was in college I lived two and a half blocks away from the Oscar Meyer plant in Madison.

They gave us (students) incredible deals on less-than-perfect items that they couldn't send to the stores.

The food was perfect, but it either wasn't the right length, the wrapper was crooked, one of the things in the package was half the size it should be, or even too big... we loved it!

The farmer up the road sold me full grocery bags of potatoes for $1.00

Needless to say, I ate Oscar Meyer meats and fresh-grown potatoes a Lot in my early adult years! :)

looks like i might be in hospital a couple of days.  my ekg was off.  they didnt explain what that means exactly.
    the rapid covid test only takes like 20 mminutes these days.  negative. yayy.

Mystiara said:

looks like i might be in hospital a couple of days.  my ekg was off.  they didnt explain what that means exactly.

Oh no.  Sending positive karma-ish vibes your way.  Be well.

Mystiara said:

they'll keep an eye on you .. I was hooked up in hospital a couple of years ago for a week whilst they where monitoring.. hopefully all will be good for you  heartyes

hearting Vibes to Misty

This discussion has been closed.