Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 8

Comments

• StuartBStuartB Posts: 596
    edited October 2014

@Jamahoney. Nice image of the girl and the car.
    The right foot/shoe looks fine to me, she just has a high instep.
    Look at the sole of the left shoe. It seems to disappear in to the cobbles. As for the car, that just needs raising up a bit I think.

Post edited by StuartB on
  • Roland4Roland4 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Other shape.

Art45.jpg
    500 x 500 - 107K
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Tim Bateman: That image is getting better each time you post it. It's a lovely area just begging for a wander.

@Sandy: I found out the same thing from watching Horo's video and creating the terrains. And found out it can be very addicting.

@Roland: You're getting some real nice objects out of both Hexagon and Blender. If you use both to create an object I suppose you export as an .obj for importing into the other program?

I followed David's tutorial using Collapse in Wings 3D and came up with the object in the first image. I wanted to render this object using TA but ran into a problems which is evident in second image.

If you enlarge the second image and look closely, you will see a lot of black pixels which only showed up using Premium effects. It didn't matter what material was used on the ground plane, they always showed up.

Now compare the third image, which was done using Premium effects. The only thing different is the object in this image, everything else stayed the same as in the second image. Notice there are no black pixels in that image. So I was hoping someone might have an idea what I'm running into.

Rhino_Dog_18_1.png
    1080 x 810 - 1M
    Rhino_Dog_18.png
    1080 x 810 - 1M
    Rhino_Dog_17.png
    1080 x 810 - 1M
    edited October 2014

GussNemo said:
    @Roland: You're getting some real nice objects out of both Hexagon and Blender. If you use both to create an object I suppose you export as an .obj for importing into the other program?

Yes, I use the obj format to import / export the object in the other program.

Art46.jpg
    500 x 500 - 105K
    Post edited by Roland4 on
  • SylverdaliSylverdali Posts: 198
    edited December 1969

Roland4 said:
    GussNemo said:

Yes, I use the obj format to import / export the object in the other program.

so beautiful love the pearl sheen

edited October 2014

The Bargain, thanks to David For tut I have enjoyed using pencil sketch

The_Bargain.jpg
    1368 x 913 - 774K
    Post edited by Sylverdali on
    edited December 1969

@Roland: Nice shape, made even nicer with the material you used.

@silverdali: The pencil sketch technique really fits the theme of that image. It really looks like a pencil sketch when viewing the larger view. Beautiful work.

edited December 1969

Cool. Is there a PDF tutorial from: using pencil sketch ?

edited October 2014

Roland4 said:

Cool. Is there a PDF tutorial from: using pencil sketch ?

The tut is on YouTube David Brinnen's Tutorial for pencil sketch www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfRzEydWRio

Post edited by Sylverdali on
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,110
    edited December 1969

@Roland4 - again nice shapes. No, I didn't make a PDF. Sketching is a part of our product http://www.daz3d.com/horo/bryce-7-1-pro-stylised-rendering that features also a program for the PC. That program is free and available on my website.

@Jamie - that's a very interesting shape. with the rocks in it. Good idea.

@silverdali - pencil sketch came out beautifully.

edited December 1969

Horo said:
    @Roland4 - that features also a program for the PC. That program is free and available on my website.

Thanks Horo, what is the name of the program so I can find it.

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    I followed David's tutorial using Collapse in Wings 3D and came up with the object in the first image. I wanted to render this object using TA but ran into a problems which is evident in second image.

If you enlarge the second image and look closely, you will see a lot of black pixels which only showed up using Premium effects. It didn't matter what material was used on the ground plane, they always showed up.

Now compare the third image, which was done using Premium effects. The only thing different is the object in this image, everything else stayed the same as in the second image. Notice there are no black pixels in that image. So I was hoping someone might have an idea what I'm running into.

You ran into what I call "a black hole" it can be caused by bad geometry where the wrong side of the polygon mesh is seen by the TA feeler probes. Mesh objects are made from one sided polys. Wings is good because it usually forces you to produce shapes where the insides stay enclosed by the geometry. By following my bad geometry tutorial - which I believed opened with a warning about issues rendering - you have created the opportunity for the backs of the polys to be exposed to the renderer. In TA mode this often results in TA feelers falling into the void. When the pixel the light is being gathered to gets a return from one of these feelers it turns black. No quantity of light (as far as I've been able to detect) can overcome this. So when the light gathering goes on, if there are black holes in your scene there is a chance they will get returned and spoil some pixels. The same thing happens with fireflies, where you have particularly hot small light sources. Try fixing the geometry before exporting it to Bryce. If you look closely at the edge of your shape you might see a dark line along it. That's a black hole. That may well be the cause.

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 1969

Cheers, Fishtales and Stuart...see what you mean about the foot.

As for the flat tyre...erm....puncture? :roll:

Jay

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

You ran into what I call "a black hole" it can be caused by bad geometry where the wrong side of the polygon mesh is seen by the TA feeler probes. Mesh objects are made from one sided polys. Wings is good because it usually forces you to produce shapes where the insides stay enclosed by the geometry. By following my bad geometry tutorial - which I believed opened with a warning about issues rendering - you have created the opportunity for the backs of the polys to be exposed to the renderer. In TA mode this often results in TA feelers falling into the void. When the pixel the light is being gathered to gets a return from one of these feelers it turns black. No quantity of light (as far as I've been able to detect) can overcome this. So when the light gathering goes on, if there are black holes in your scene there is a chance they will get returned and spoil some pixels. The same thing happens with fireflies, where you have particularly hot small light sources. Try fixing the geometry before exporting it to Bryce. If you look closely at the edge of your shape you might see a dark line along it. That's a black hole. That may well be the cause.

Or you can use "Edit Mesh" in Bryce and smooth the mesh, which can usually get rid of the problem.

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043
    edited December 1969

Jamahoney said:
    Cheers, Fishtales and Stuart...see what you mean about the foot.

As for the flat tyre...erm....puncture? :roll:

Jay

A lady in dis'dress' :) looking for a knight in shining armour, or just someone to change the wheel :-)

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Or you can use "Edit Mesh" in Bryce and smooth the mesh, which can usually get rid of the problem.

It might at that! Yes. Good point. I had a weird issue with some meshes from Wings that kept arriving inside out. And indeed Edit Mesh Smooth did fix it! So yes. Worth a try.

Also Silverdali, great use of the effect! Brilliant!

edited October 2014

A simple background.

Art49.jpg
    500 x 500 - 125K
    Art48.jpg
    500 x 500 - 114K
    Art47.jpg
    500 x 500 - 170K
    edited December 1969

Roland4 said:
    Thanks Horo, what is the name of the program so I can find it.

Bryce Documents > Programs > Terrain > TIFF4816. The zip file contains the program (PC only), a ReadMe text file and an 18 page PDF. But it's not about how sketch or CEL renders are done in Bryce, it's just a tool you need for terrain conversion.
    edited December 1969

@Horo

Thank you.

edited December 1969

@David/Dave: Thank you both for the suggestions. I'll look at that shape again in Wings and try smoothing it in Bryce to see which works best. David, I seem to remember the caution notice at the beginning of the video, but I slept since then.

@Roland: Neat simple background. And the lettering is cool, how'd you create them? That new object is really nice. Hexagon or Blender, or both?

edited October 2014

GussNemo said:
    @Roland: Neat simple background. And the lettering is cool, how'd you create them? That new object is really nice. Hexagon or Blender, or both?

Thanks

The lettering i have create only with Hexagon. The problem is smoothing, you can see some edges.

The new object (3) i have create only with Blender.

edited December 1969

@Roland: Thank you for the information.

I gave David's and Dave's suggestions a try, Dave's suggestion worked quicker, smoothing using Bryce. I looked at the object again in Wings and see it will take more work to try and get something which doesn't cause the problems I first encountered. Below is the Bryce smoothed object using Premium effects and TA. Maybe a new Wings object will be posted later.

Rhino_Dog_19.png
    1080 x 810 - 1M
    edited December 1969

@GussNemo

And this i have create in Blender. The smoothing of fonts in Blender look very very bad. I must cut the front and back side from the fonts and give them a little thickness and then i can smooth the lettering, but i think it looks not so good. (i hope you understand my english)

Art50.jpg
    500 x 500 - 104K
    edited December 1969

@Roland: Your English is fine and I do understand. You get better results using Hexagon for your letters.

edited October 2014

@Roland4 - you're welcome, hopefully it will serve you. Letters look really good.

@Jamie - the stony shape looks still good.

I gave the terrains a rest for the moment and experimented with a new HDRI (Tunnelway) and DOF. The Toon Aliens, the Gremlin and the Black Widow spider are from the DAZ store here, the bushes from our Vegetation set and the ladybird from the Internet.

Gnomes.jpg
    1200 x 800 - 173K
    Post edited by Horo on
    edited October 2014

@Horo

Thanks. Your picture looks very very sweet.

@GussNemo

In Hexagon you can use different fonts.

The shadow in this picture look like a second lettering.

Art51.jpg
    500 x 500 - 97K
    edited December 1969

@GussNemo

Modeled in Hexagon.

Art52.jpg
    500 x 500 - 94K
  • StuartBStuartB Posts: 596
    edited December 1969

@Horo.
    I like that a lot, nice touch with the gremlin holding your sig.

edited December 1969

For as an ornament there was even a tutorial.

Art53.jpg
    500 x 500 - 127K
    edited October 2014

@Horo: Thank you. Latest image is really nice. But where's the spider? Is it that thing behind the characters to the right?

@Roland: Last shape looks as though it needs a few light globes attached to the end of the arms. Where'd you find the tutorial for the ornamental object? It's great.

I went back into Wings to see if my latest object could be cleaned a bit to take care of the bad geometry causing the black pixels. I started with the extruded portion, recreating it but narrower. Added a few supporting edges but when rendered in Bryce with Premium Effects the black pixels still existed. Smoothing in Bryce took care of the problem. Then I thought I'd create another object but without the extrusions to see if it was the extrusions causing the problems. Perhaps they were, but they were still evident when the new object was rendered in Bryce. Again, smoothing in Bryce cured the problem. Below are a few new ones with the narrower extrusions, and the one without the extrusions.

Rhino_Dog_27.png
    1080 x 810 - 2M
    Rhino_Dog_24.png
    1080 x 810 - 2M
    Rhino_Dog_21.png
    1080 x 810 - 2M
    Post edited by GussNemo on
This discussion has been closed.